Author Topic: [IC] XDA Oblique (GB live!)  (Read 170204 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [IC] XDA Oblique (Soon™)
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 09:44:23 »
Hey, I'm looking forward to this gb going live, but I do have one more question that I think it's always worth bringing up:

AFAIK, XDA currently do not currently offer homing bumps or bars, only scooped homing keys. Is there ANY chance of getting bumps or bars on this set? Can you ask the manufacturer if it's something they could do for us, or in general for the future?

Heh, I'm not asking for much eh?  ;D

They don't currently offer them. I'm not sure if they will in future since it would require new moulds and bumps are generally awkward when it comes to dye subbing.

If you prefer to have bumps you could do a mod like this using a ball bearing as a homing key.

Interesting.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #401 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 15:36:35 »
Hey, I'm looking forward to this gb going live, but I do have one more question that I think it's always worth bringing up:

AFAIK, XDA currently do not currently offer homing bumps or bars, only scooped homing keys. Is there ANY chance of getting bumps or bars on this set? Can you ask the manufacturer if it's something they could do for us, or in general for the future?

They don't currently offer them. I'm not sure if they will in future since it would require new moulds and bumps are generally awkward when it comes to dye subbing.

If you prefer to have bumps you could do a mod like this using a ball bearing as a homing key.
Knowing this set was on the horizon, I finally threw my XDA Canvas on my daily driver to see if I really wanted to invest in another XDA set ( I previously only put them on a tester and wasn't impressed) and I find the deep dish homing caps to have a better feel than the regular caps. Have you considered doing the whole set in deep dish?  :eek:

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #402 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 15:56:19 »
Knowing this set was on the horizon, I finally threw my XDA Canvas on my daily driver to see if I really wanted to invest in another XDA set ( I previously only put them on a tester and wasn't impressed) and I find the deep dish homing caps to have a better feel than the regular caps. Have you considered doing the whole set in deep dish?  :o
I guess it's possible, but I'm not sure how it would affect lead times. The factory probably have way more moulds for standard 1u keys than deep dish keys. The other issue is that you lose homing keys. It's not something I'm doing  because a lot of people prefer the flatness of XDA, but if you want to feel free to buy like 8 homing kits :)).
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline Thats to big

« Reply #403 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 16:01:11 »

Knowing this set was on the horizon, I finally threw my XDA Canvas on my daily driver to see if I really wanted to invest in another XDA set ( I previously only put them on a tester and wasn't impressed) and I find the deep dish homing caps to have a better feel than the regular caps. Have you considered doing the whole set in deep dish?  :eek:

What will be cool is 6 homing keys, like on topre hi-pro, especially it Dvorak (or something like that) so your Fingers feel more dip-dish.

And a full dip dish set would make dye-sublimation harder, and you will need do make new keys (anything else than 1u)

Knowing this set was on the horizon, I finally threw my XDA Canvas on my daily driver to see if I really wanted to invest in another XDA set ( I previously only put them on a tester and wasn't impressed) and I find the deep dish homing caps to have a better feel than the regular caps. Have you considered doing the whole set in deep dish?  :o
I guess it's possible, but I'm not sure how it would affect lead times. The factory probably have way more moulds for standard 1u keys than deep dish keys. The other issue is that you lose homing keys. It's not something I'm doing  because a lot of people prefer the flatness of XDA, but if you want to feel free to buy like 8 homing kits :)).

and wenn you'll look at your keyboard:

Hunt Donkey Kong!

Hunt Donkey Kong!

Hunt Donkey Kong!

Hunt Donkey Kong!

Hunt Donkey Kong!

Hunt Donkey Kong!

Hunt Donkey Kong!

Hunt Donkey Kong!

Everytime i see the homing kit I think "Hunt donkey kong" instead oh huntdk
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 May 2018, 16:12:41 by Thats to big »

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #404 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 17:29:25 »
Everytime i see the homing kit I think "Hunt donkey kong" instead oh huntdk

Duck Hunt for me :D

Offline Createboardhk

• Createboard
« Reply #405 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 01:47:45 »
Can't wait to get it ;D ;D

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #406 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 06:19:52 »
Can you add a 1.25 shift key to the international kit (preferably icon mod). Because of the extra characters (ä,ö,ü) the german layout has a smaller left shift key.

Offline E_rik

« Reply #407 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 06:35:21 »
The 1.25 Shift is already part of the base modifier kits (both text and icon)

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #408 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 06:56:20 »
The 1.25 Shift is already part of the base modifier kits (both text and icon)
wow missed that. sorry  :( :(

Offline kamisamamizu

« Reply #409 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 08:19:22 »
Any news?
I want the gb as soon as possible!

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #410 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 15:53:01 »
Any word on how long the GB will run? I'll be offline for a long weekend in the beginning of June and want to make sure I can get in on this.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #411 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 15:59:30 »
Any word on how long the GB will run? I'll be offline for a long weekend in the beginning of June and want to make sure I can get in on this.

Just that one weekend in the beginning of June.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #412 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 17:16:02 »

:))

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #413 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 17:28:56 »

NOOOOOoooooooo!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #414 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 17:31:54 »

NOOOOOoooooooo!

Offline BLRN

« Reply #415 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 05:58:57 »
NOOOOOoooooooo!
Show Image

This made my day, thank you!

Offline Thats to big

« Reply #416 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 09:41:33 »
NOOOOOoooooooo!
Show Image

This made my day, thank you!

And I don't understand it...

The only thing i know in early June is the pride, but it's the second week-end.

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #417 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 09:53:09 »
Is there any plans/hope for an add-on kit with windowed keys?

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #418 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 10:26:59 »

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #419 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 11:32:05 »
So what company is doing the dyesub work? I didn't see it on the front page. The only company doing quality dyesub is Signature Plastics. I'm not talking about the profile or keycap, but the legend printing. The dyesub work coming out of China factories is junk.

Offline tomwang2011

[IC] XDA Oblique (Soon™)
« Reply #420 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 11:48:19 »
So what company is doing the dyesub work? I didn't see it on the front page. The only company doing quality dyesub is Signature Plastics. I'm not talking about the profile or keycap, but the legend printing. The dyesub work coming out of China factories is junk.
Pretty sure SP doesn’t do xda profile. And the dye sub on my xda canvas seems decent so far (or maybe I’m just not picky enough)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 June 2018, 15:58:03 by tomwang2011 »

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #421 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 12:06:44 »
Pretty sure SP doesn’t do xda profile. And the dye sub on my xda seems decent so far (or maybe I’m just not picky enough)

Thanks for the info. When it comes to dyesub I will wait to see actual samples from the factory producing them.

Offline katotaka

« Reply #422 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 21:34:50 »
Pretty sure SP doesn’t do xda profile. And the dye sub on my xda seems decent so far (or maybe I’m just not picky enough)

Thanks for the info. When it comes to dyesub I will wait to see actual samples from the factory producing them.

^THIS

The want is strong with this set, wanna see some samples to justify the dollarz.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #423 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 22:07:43 »
Samples were posted earlier in the thread?

Not sure if they just went missed.

Offline Allo

« Reply #424 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 02:24:51 »

I believe those were from the old factory, which he said later he won't be using. I don't know if he's said if he found a new one.

Offline RSC

« Reply #425 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 06:42:14 »
@dr_derivative

Can you just add the "^" + "~" keycap to the international set? That would make it perfect.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #426 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 11:49:00 »

Nope. Windowed keys need to be doubleshot and there is no doubleshot XDA.

I believe those were from the old factory, which he said later he won't be using. I don't know if he's said if he found a new one.

Yep, we're currently waiting on samples and pricing form the new dye-subber.

Can you just add the "^" + "~" keycap to the international set? That would make it perfect.

I'm assuming this is for Portuguese layout? I'd also need to add a « » key. I'll see what the quotes are like first and make a decision based on that.

GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline RSC

« Reply #427 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 12:43:19 »
The "« »" is not really needed. The other one is. If you could get it in the set, it would be really nice.

Offline Mekuno

« Reply #428 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 11:49:16 »
XDA canvas R2 launched on Massdrop, I guess this will give you guys more time to prepare for the GB? These sets are very similar but both of them are unique. I want them both, and many others would probably appreciate given more time to gather the funds :). /watched.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #429 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 12:07:47 »
Update: new samples ;D

zFrontier has the new samples in hand and took these amazing photos.

The dye-sub quality looks excellent, although I haven't seen it in person yet. It has similar alignment issues to the previous samples, which is expected since I sent them the same design files.

One thing I did notice was an error on the ⌫ and ⌧ keys where only one half of the cross is actually printed. I have no idea why so I'll be bringing this up so it doesn't happen in the final product.

At the moment I'm not sure when we'll finally start this groupbuy. We had hoped to start before Canvas R2, but in the end we couldn't get everything ready in time and Canvas launched today. IMO running alongside Canvas isn't a good idea so we might have to wait until after. I haven't really discussed this with the vendors yet though, so I can't say for sure.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 June 2018, 12:30:59 by dr_derivative »

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #430 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 12:09:00 »
XDA canvas R2 launched on Massdrop, I guess this will give you guys more time to prepare for the GB? These sets are very similar but both of them are unique. I want them both, and many others would probably appreciate given more time to gather the funds :) . /watched.
You replied just as I was typing out my update, see the last paragraph ;D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #431 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 12:42:25 »
At the moment I'm not sure when we'll finally start this groupbuy. We had hoped to start before Canvas R2, but in the end we couldn't get everything ready in time and Canvas launched today. IMO running alongside Canvas isn't a good idea so we might have to wait until after. I haven't really discussed this with the vendors yet though, so I can't say for sure.

That's great news for my wallet!

Offline Mekuno

« Reply #432 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 12:46:33 »
XDA canvas R2 launched on Massdrop, I guess this will give you guys more time to prepare for the GB? These sets are very similar but both of them are unique. I want them both, and many others would probably appreciate given more time to gather the funds :) . /watched.
You replied just as I was typing out my update, see the last paragraph ;D

Haha :D

But seriously, those new samples are looking amazeballs right now!  :eek: I was seriously looking to get Japanese alphas and those are absolutely perfect! Really clean and minimal, just the way I like it :)

Offline Thats to big

« Reply #433 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 13:52:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The dye-sub quality looks excellent, although I haven't seen it in person yet. It has similar alignment issues to the previous samples, which is expected since I sent them the same design files.

One thing I did notice was an error on the ⌫ and ⌧ keys where only one half of the cross is actually printed. I have no idea why so I'll be bringing this up so it doesn't happen in the final product.

Holly god of keyboard that katakana is fantastic!
but it's quite yellow compare to the renders

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #434 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 15:08:21 »
where will this be released? GH or MD?

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #435 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 15:55:35 »

Through zFrontier; OP can correct me if I'm wrong though.

---

Those samples look incredible. I did notice the backspace/delete icon issue.

That said I'm ready to get a fair amount of the Oblique sets, cannot wait!

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #436 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 16:24:06 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The yellow is because these were photographed in sunlight I think. AFAIK these aren't colour matched anyway, the final keyset will be the same light grey as the AEK.

It will be run through Dixie Mech for US, MyKeyboard.eu for EU, MechKeys.ca for Canada, and zFrontier for Asia/Australia and the rest of the world.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #437 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 16:30:33 »
Yep. These look great.

:eek:

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #438 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 16:47:33 »
which keyboard is the burgundy red one on the first page (the render )?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #439 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 17:22:24 »

RAMA M60-A

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #440 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 17:41:46 »

RAMA M60-A
thanks

Offline soupymeatballs

« Reply #441 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 19:20:51 »
All I have to say is MEGANUT

Offline Allo

« Reply #442 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 20:05:04 »
Do the icon Shifts looks kind of small to anyone else?

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #443 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 20:57:54 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The yellow is because these were photographed in sunlight I think. AFAIK these aren't colour matched anyway, the final keyset will be the same light grey as the AEK.

It will be run through Dixie Mech for US, MyKeyboard.eu for EU, MechKeys.ca for Canada, and zFrontier for Asia/Australia and the rest of the world.

Yes was going to mention color seems a bit off in this set of photos but hopefully it was just the lighting. Excited for the buy!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #444 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 22:47:59 »
Any chance for the international keys to support the three symbols per key where it applies?

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #445 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 00:18:52 »
Any chance for the international keys to support the three symbols per key where it applies?
Show Image

+1

Offline FSund

« Reply #446 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 00:22:01 »
Show Image

+1
That would be great!
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline Lormania

« Reply #447 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 00:34:59 »
Even more excited!

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #448 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 06:35:25 »
The samples are pretty sweet! Lots of good looking stuff coming out lately

Offline kamisamamizu

« Reply #449 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 07:58:50 »
Show Image

I'd rather not tbh.
The ones in the AEK do not have the tertiary legends. It also makes supporting more languages easier, as for example, shift+7890 is /()= on both German and Spanish, but German has {[]} on the atlgr layer and Spanish does not.
It will be cheaper and is more authentic.