Author Topic: Age of enthusiasts or "fanatics"  (Read 5519 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Age of enthusiasts or "fanatics"
« on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 01:52:42 »
There is something that has had me scratching my noodle during the last day or so.  I was wondering if there is any correlation between the age of a keyboard enthusiast and the work he or she invests; time and money, into a keyboard.                                                                                                                                   

It’s important to distinguish between the DIY’er using parts from 4 different switches to get the perfect keystroke, and the persons spending $400 dollars on the newest space age custom built case using unobtainium to craft a one-of-a-kind case.  Some of these people in my mind I liken them to local car clubs with the kids parked in a lot on the weekend, with a $25,000 car with $20,000 invested into it, much of it in body work.  As I’ve gotten older I don’t see myself investing said amount into a keyboard or said amount into a car.  I may take a popular out-of-box keyboard and swap some springs or keycaps and call it a day.

Most people here don’t disclose their age and I’m not asking, but I was wondering if those bitten hard by the bug are generally 20 year olds, or if they run the gamut.?  Also, those  who have invested crazy amounts into their builds, do they have any regrets?  I know I have wasted undisclosed cash amounts on aesthetic “upgrades” on cars which I regret.  At the time however they made me very happy.  There were a few times I assumed a member was young and later found out they were veterans.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline portbaron

Re: Age of enthusiasts or "fanatics"
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 05:57:18 »
Rather than age, I'd say it might correlate more with how recently they got into the hobby, especially if income is not an issue. This applies to hobbies in general and not just keyboards.

The first phase often includes an explosive buying period where the neophyte tries out everything and attempts to 'catch up' to others who have been at it for years. Everything is new and shiny, and expense is no obstacle in the pursuit of the ultimate keyboard experience.

Since you mentioned cars, I'll compare my car stuff to my keyboard stuff. I just hit mid 30s, and got my first mechanical board about 8 years ago.

In my 20s I modded cars too, to the extent that I had a mkiv supra that ran consistent 10s at the track. It had a stock exterior. All the money was in the motor and drivetrain. I even used stock 17" rims because I needed to run drag radials to keep it from fishtailing if I floored it at 75mph. Did almost all the work myself. So that's kind of like DIY boards. Now I have a car that costs more, but it's not modded. So that's less tinkering now that I'm older, but more cash up front lol. Sort of the opposite of your example lol.

As for keyboards, I like keycaps. I want them all. So that seems more rice-rocket than sleeper, at odds with my car history.

I'm also into switches, however, which is more like working on a car's engine. I have some box royals and hako trues on the way to swap stems and springs, and am on the lookout for a slightly stronger spring for Jades that doesn't turn them into Navys.

But I only built my first custom board very recently. Soldering is still a slow process for me, so I don't feel bad about paying someone who is more efficient at it to do it for me. I have a couple more boards coming that I will build myself, but overall it's not how I want to spend a lot of my time. Accordingly, I have custom boards assembled by others with all weights of Zealios, box switches, gaterons, etc. to try out switches and learn what I prefer. Not expensive GB customs, mind you. I just want switches and keycaps. Unlike cars, I've never felt like spending much time working on boards (rather than using them) I guess.

So in the end I'd say I'm somewhat lazy in my old age, and keep the DIY part to a minimum even though I'm into nifty switches. I have a lot of money sunk into boards not because they are expensive customs, but because I need a lot of boards to have all the switches and display all the keycaps. The only buys I regret are Cherry switch boards that aren't Leopolds.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2018, 06:40:20 by portbaron »
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:08:58 »
I think it has more to do with personality type than age. Whether it’s collecting, inventing, being part of a group, learning something new, challenging yourself, or whatever else; we tend to remain the same kind of persons through life. Situations may interfere with being able to pursue our interests but that doesn’t change who we are.

Also, spending a thousand dollars on a keyboard may be extravagant and irresponsible if you’re struggling to get by; not so much if that’s a small part of your discretionary income. Same thing with time. We all need some form of recreation. It’s when we ignore our responsibilities in the pursuit of our passions that we can rightfully be called fanatical.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 13:28:44 »
I was def young when I got into the hobby (still am kinda) but back then you didn't have all these different keyset GBs going non stop or alu boards XX. Most of the money I spent were saved from birthdays and from working in the summers and the other were either from my soldering service or my retired K-board finding service.

Also the regretting part  :)) I've always told myself and others that I'm "investing" so I don't feel so bad about the costs  :p But I do feel like I get some sort of long term value if I buy a great keyboard that I can use for X amount of years insteead of eating out 20 times.

As for the last couple of years I haven't really bought anything but just stayed for the community (Unless you count for the free clacks when you become moderator ;) ).
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 13:55:31 »
i often compare the mech keyboard craze to cars, too. i see people who have silkscreening, custom keycaps, etc. and that's just putting stickers on a rice rocket to me. however, there is a difference between people who do custom keyboards vs. specialty keyboards and that's different. that's a matter of inclination and money. i don't have the inclination, but i'm willing to spend the money. i'm nearly 40. i only like 60%-ish keyboards (symmetrical is what matters to me) and i don't do any customization. i bought my first mech keyboard maybe umm 5 years ago? but it's definitely slowed down. however, not due to lack of interest, but due to honing in on what's ideal for me. there are very few keyboards left i'd like to try (maybe a kinesis or a maltron)

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:04:13 »
I'm in my mid 30s but single and without any kids.  I also have a six figure salary, so I have a lot of disposable income...I realize not everyone is in this situation but for me at least I don't really mind spending a lot of money on my hobbies.

Offline killyou

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:23:52 »
I wrote a similar post before but I actually made money on my hobbies so far (except the time that went into it) and trying with keyboard game to be zero sum. But I hear what you're saying. Changing keycaps, springs or other relatively simple that's it for me. I will never assemble zealioboxoholypandosthostheles because of money and time that would need to be invested into it.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 10:46:59 »
even if you are willing to put in the time and effort for customization, your options are limited, which is why it doesn't interest me. i like custom sculpting on keycaps which means i can't replace them with whatever i feel like. i also like topre switches which means i'm out of options there, too! mechanical is okay, but when i get in to over time, either the clack from bottoming out starts to hurt my ears or it starts to hurt my finger tips. learning not to bottom out hasn't ever worked for me. someone said it here once (i have no hope of finding the thread it was in), but if you aren't bottoming out, you aren't typing fast enough :p (sure i can believe there's fast typists who don't bottom out, but the point is i have to focus too much on my typing to avoid it)

to continue with your car example, some people like sup'ing up their $25,000. i get that, but i'd rather buy a ferrari
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 June 2018, 10:54:02 by Blue_Moon »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 12:43:45 »
learning not to bottom out hasn't ever worked for me. someone said it here once (i have no hope of finding the thread it was in), but if you aren't bottoming out, you aren't typing fast enough :p (sure i can believe there's fast typists who don't bottom out, but the point is i have to focus too much on my typing to avoid it)
It appears that using the Shift key is too much of a hindrance for you as well.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 14:57:31 »
i manually shifted on my first two cars :p but now i only drive automatics. it actually took a lot of effort to break the habit. everyone around me didn’t use caps, so i looked like a prude. but i think my ipad does it for me. i do love that left shift on my hhkb when i’m selecting multiple items!

Offline Mekuno

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 18:38:39 »
I'm 26 and it's funny how most of you mention customizing cars because I just got into this mech craze and that's exactly what happened to me 8 years ago when I bought my sports car (Genesis Coupe). I spent so much money irresponsibly with the custom 3 piece wheels from Japan, intake, exhausts, tune, side skirts, front lip etc. Was it reasonable? Hell no, that money could have been used MUCH better elsewhere, but damn was I enjoying it A LOT.

All in all, I sold the car, sold the parts and bought a more sensible yet much nicer car (2015 Lexus is350 fsport) and got an income to back it up.

Honestly, as long as you are making money, and you can afford it, there is nothing wrong with investing in something you WANT to do. Apparently, keyboards grabbed me up now and now and just been spending my money on it. I am only buying highest quality boards, or rarest boards so I am still particular about my purchases.

If I was less fortunate that I didn't get off my ass and worked hard for my career I wouldn't be spending a dime on anything but only the necessary.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 12:00:36 »
I'm 41, and I got into mechanical keyboards because I remember using mechanical keyboards back in the '80s and early '90s.  I had no idea at the time what made those old keyboards so nice to type on (Apple keyboards, specifically), and why Apple's later ones sucked so badly, but I held onto my Extended Keyboard II for a long time, even taking it to work with a Griffin iMate adapter to use on a PC at my first office job.  It's nice to type on keyboards that feel like, or are sometimes better, than the old ones I remember, and all of these aftermarket keycaps are just icing on the cake, even if I can't spend nearly what I'd like to with two kids, a wife, and a house.  :D

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 21:50:35 »
mechanical is okay, but when i get in to over time, either the clack from bottoming out starts to hurt my ears or it starts to hurt my finger tips. learning not to bottom out hasn't ever worked for me. someone said it here once (i have no hope of finding the thread it was in), but if you aren't bottoming out, you aren't typing fast enough :p (sure i can believe there's fast typists who don't bottom out, but the point is i have to focus too much on my typing to avoid it)

This I think was my thread and I was talking about my new Leopold with Cherry Browns.  The switches are more tactile than the ones from a few years ago and I mentioned that it was harder to type without bottoming out. Yes if I type as fast as I can I bottom out, but make a lot more mistakes at that speed. Using fluid, controlled keystrokes you stop within the last 0.5mm of bottoming out.  This is much more comfortable.

One good thing about dumping cash in this hobby is that many of the boards will hold their value.  If you dump $10,000 dollars into your Honda, you will only see a small fraction of that at resale.

I have found it interesting to learn that many of the members here are older than I imagined- many in their 30's to 50's.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 22:34:19 »
According to the last reddit survey, the average overall age in the community is about 21, but on reddit it's a little lower (more like 17-18) and on GH it's a little higher (24-25).
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 10:02:29 »
but what's the median? :p there might be some eight year old hackers bringing our average down lolol

Offline Kyi195

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 10:33:28 »
Lets see, according to Puddsy's study I'm just below the avg age for the GH community as I'm turning 22 next month, however, given that I don't exactly have a disposable income my purchases are few and far between.  I think my last full purchase was buying the DSA Quartz set for my R1 whitefox.  I'm also slowly building a 40% board for work that will hopefully play nice with the office's KVM switch as I work in a large deskside IT support office and we use KVM for all our computers.

I definitely see my purchases verging on layouts rather than aesthetics though.  I'm consistently looking for layouts that are more optimized for my typing and that drives more than the look of the special case.  Esp since I seem to enjoy the sandwich style case with a buncha standoffs rather than the aluminum  unibody ones or w/e.

I think my first true mech board that I owned was a standard office Model M from 92.  I still have it in my closet and I'm giving it to my friend.  it was super comfy but it was so damn big that I needed to downsize.  So I dropped down to a KBP V60 Mini which was good but the lack of arrow keys didn't cut it.  And I pretty much exclusively use the right shift so using the arrow lock (Fn + Enter I think?) didn't work because I'd just jump up lines and start typing in the middle of words and such.  Now I have the Whitefox and found out that split backspace doesn't work well but I also notice that I don't use the left half of my space bar.  My left thumb is really just to hit the alt key next to the spacebar when I'm closing things or to hit the win key for win+E or win+R so I'm going to play with split spacebar on my 40% to see how setting the left half to a function key works.  However, I think the 65% layout with a full backspace is the best option for me so really the only other direction I can see myself going is to try and build a new sandwich style with a built-in hub for my mouse and numpad.  I've been working on designing the PCB but it's slow because I have absolutely 0 clue of what I'm doing and also I'm trying to convert an external powerd USB 2 hub to a bus-powered USB 2 w/ a USB C upstream and I want it all on one board and on and on and on.

Uhhh, I think I went on a tangent there for a bit but anyways, I feel like I'm more the first person described than the second one.  But maybe I read that wrong.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 10:38:24 »
I'm 41.  I've been fascinated by computers and all things computer related since the 80s.  We didn't have enough money to own anything like an Atari 8-bit computer, tandy, or Commodore, but I saw them on TV and movies.  I had well-off friends who had Apple and IBM computers in their homes.  I just knew that computers were the way to go, but I didn't think I would ever own one.  I got my own first "keyboard" attached to a really bad word processor (seen here: https://youtu.be/FQkxB3atZII?t=3m59s)

For me, keyboards are powerful.  They help create things.  I feel like each one I build could do something important (spoiler: it doesn't)

Also, I am a clarinetist.  I went through undergraduate and graduate school spending most of my days perfecting finger movements (...ladies?)  I no longer perform.  Life took me in a different direction.  But I still enjoy moving my fingers and the unique tactility that mechanical keyboards give.

Of course, the aesthetics are a big draw too.  I've been a graphics designer and web developer for going on 17 years now, and I spend a lot of time thinking about colors and fonts.  I still don't think I've found that perfect colorway/case match.  (Which is why there are at least a dozen sets of GMK caps sitting unused in my office closet at the moment  :-[ )

I regret pretty much every purchase b/c I know that it is frivolous.  But they make me happy.  Granted, the longer it goes on, the more fleeting the happiness.  I used to get a premium item and feel content for a week or two.  Now, it's more like a day, sometimes less.  But I've come to expect it.  Also, I realize that I am VERY fortunate to have the money to spend on such things.  I do see myself selling some things off eventually, now that I do have some firm likes and dislikes logged in the hobby.

I still have bags of trendy switches like Box Navys, Jades, burnt Oranges, Box Royals, Gatistoles, etc... even though I adamantly believe they are not good switches for me.  I've stopped trying to talk myself into liking things just because others do.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 11:00:21 »
There's a lot of information flowing around in this thread and I'm going to try touching all of it.

On Deskthority the age skews a bit higher than even Geekhack, with the average somewhere around 27 if I remember correctly. People often consider DT the "vintage keyboard forum" which may explain the age difference. Personally I prefer the old stuff, but that doesn't mean we don't have modern keyboards. When I first started in the hobby I used to throw a lot of money into this hobby for sometimes really obscure keyboards, switches, etc. I used nearly all of my income, but I didn't really have any responsibilities at that time in my life so it was a lot more acceptable to do so. As of right now, my SO and I make over six digits together, but due to living expenses, student debt, postgraduate education, and more I have very little discretionary income so I can't spend nearly what I used to on the hobby, and I'm okay with that. I think that's something you learn as you get older as well, is that you don't have to have that ultra rare keyboard, or that new stylish keyset, or whatever else (and this applies to other hobbies of course). This heavily applies to FOMO (fear of missing out).

In terms of actual customization, I don't consider keycap sets the same thing as a bunch of cosmetic mods on your car. I'd compare it more to a nice paint job, going from the boring beige to a nicer teal, or red, or even just matte black. On the other hand, I'd compare car mods more to artisans, which are functionally useless but that make your keyboard more appreciable (for lack of a better word). I have less than five artisans that I've picked up over the last five years and I'd compare it to the what I have on my car. All I've done to my Lexus is added nice Enkei wheels and tint. I am going to transfer my old car audio setup into it from my old (totaled) car because it's a hobby I've enjoyed for many years, but the cost will be very low since I already have everything. Other than that, I haven't done anything to it nor do I plan to.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline nativejibroney22

• I enjoy keyboards as well as making artisans
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:22:19 »
From the meetup I went to, a good 75% or so of the people were 20-28, but that could also just depend on who was able to make it that day and who was willing to drive. I have also noticed that around the 8 month mark of being in the game people are willing to go the most balls deep on spending, new hobby and more knowledge leads to more willingness to spend haha.

Offline hilltopchill

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 20:50:36 »
I'm 16, and usually the youngest (or one of the youngest) at the Sydney meetups. Most people are university age.

Offline MrDongblaster

• Diet Dr. Pepper Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 15:14:47 »
I'm in my 30's but I honestly think this is how my addictive personality manifests itself. For better or worse lol. I've always been this way though, going through phases of intense collecting/obsession lol.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 03:49:08 »
Louisville has some good meetups if you are interested. I went to one of the first ones ever a few years ago at LVL 1.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline MrDongblaster

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 14:10:45 »
Louisville has some good meetups if you are interested. I went to one of the first ones ever a few years ago at LVL 1.

Oh yeah, man. Totally down for the next one!

Offline MrDongblaster

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 14:12:08 »

BTW LVL1 is a super cool facility. I've actually looked at joining. Pretty resonable monthly dues and really cool equipment and capabilities.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 15:01:42 »
It is really nice. If I still lived there I probably would've considered joining it too. But alas, I moved away and I'm not traveling 14 hours just to use a laser machine.  :p

Offline jlee755

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 08:45:13 »
I'm relatively new to GH and I'd describe myself as part of that honeymoon phase that others have mentioned with a disposable income at 25 (though, maybe it shouldn't be disposable...), spending a bit more frivolously than I'd like to admit. I guess I'm right in that mean age.

Keyboards are fun to tinker with at the moment. I enjoy the idea of making it mine; I also don't mind undoing what I just built a few days later to try out something new that I just received. I will probably find myself in a few years thinking that I could've saved that money for more important things, but eh, if I can't do it now then I don't think it gets any easier as I get older with less time and money for myself.

Offline MrDongblaster

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 09:48:41 »
It is really nice. If I still lived there I probably would've considered joining it too. But alas, I moved away and I'm not traveling 14 hours just to use a laser machine.  :p

Yeah lolol. I think that might kill the value of it.

Offline arsenic

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 16:34:59 »
Popping out of lurker mode to throw in my take-

Apparently I'm a little older than average; I turned thirty this year- and I obviously can't speak for others my age, but I know at least a few of my other friends who are into mechs now that had similar epiphanies that our interest as an adult might stem from beyond the generally seen gaming/programming/computer-related work entry point to a feeling of childhood nostalgia; I learned to type on an AEK. My first year or so of mech-related exploring as an adult was about trying to find a modern tactile equivalent of what I remembered from typing on Alps switches and exploring layout options until I found the right balance for my workflow. And unfortunately, by the time I was able to figure it all out, I realized my tastes kind of required modding, that I like building boards- and that my dwindling sneaker addiction had been replaced. Which is actually kind of good, because it turns out that it's generally much more enjoyable to join a group buy than stand in line for hours only to find out that a store only was able to get one pair of a dope release in size 7 that has already been set aside for the the token girl employee of said store. Because for some reason most shoe companies don't seem to correlate that what is typically released as the smallest mens size of a limited edition shoe is the average shoe size for women, and despite what they're trying to sell us, shoes, like keyboards are genderless and girls like blue too, okay?!*. And, like any hobby I've invested in- sneakers included, I've definitely made some purchases I've regretted, but it always ends up evening out and I've always managed to come up 'even' in the end. So, yeah- I guess the age/income ratio thing is probably relevant, but mostly I think the correlation probably has more to do with personality type than anything- if you're an obsessive collector, that stays with you for life, whatever your hobby is.

*I was that token employee at one point, it was dope. Also, I am still bitter about getting stuck with my second choice Ice Cream X Reeboks back in the day, clearly.

Offline UnFocused

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:32:34 »
I'm nearly 50 and have been using mechanical keyboards since either 1982 or 1983 when I bought my first computer which was a TI-99/4A. I had two Apple machines after that (//e & IIgs) and then switched to PCs in 1989 when I built my first 80286 machine. I bought a Focus FK-2001 with blue Alps. I sold that keyboard two years ago. I had (and still have) the only rubber dome + membrane keyboard I ever bought. That's a Maxi-Swich 101.

I had used Model M (a and few Model F) keyboards in the late 80s, but bought my first Model M in 1998. I used Ms both at home and work until 2012 when I discovered mechanical keyboards were getting popular. I bought a QFR with MX blues. Since then, I've done complete switch swaps on three keyboards and built two (with the most recent being a month ago).

My daily driver keyboards are a 55G Realforce at work (soon to be enclosed in a Norbaforce case) and the most recent build at home which is a LFKeyboards TKL with Tealios in a Tex aluminum case.

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 13:30:54 »
I am 32, and bought my first mechanical keyboard right before I turned 30. I was in the middle of my PhD, and I saw an interview with George Hotz, where he had a black HHKB on his desk. I am not interested in really blingy stuff. I guess my interest in keyboards started kind of impulsively, but it just really made sense to have a tool that felt nice when I spend a lot of time at the office. I have a tendency to like things were I feel like there was a focus on the attention to detail/quality. I would say I'm (at least trying to be) sensible about the purchases I make. I am always trying to optimize how much I enjoy what I spend my (our) money on. I am the same with most other things and hobbies actually; e.g., bicycles, cars, clothes, and food even.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 00:49:38 »
I'm in my mid-thirties and I guess I am just a little surprised to see the "older" folks on here as I originally thought the average age on here was 20 and it was mostly a community of gamers who like flashy keyboards that resemble spaceships.  I can now see there are plenty of people from 25 to 50 who do everything from accounting, engineering, IT, coding, or just casual enthusiasts who like the functinality of keyboards.  Many seem to be intellectual types and professionals

I've spent more money than I had to probably; I've just always wanted to try something new.  I own 8-10 boards, but there are some on here with 100's.  One thing that sucks is that you do not get back all the money you have invested.  I collect watches and my collection is worth a lot more than I've invested, especially since I do all my work myself.  If I spend 500 on a vintage watch and paid appropriately it's still worth 500 a year later and possibly more.  If I spend 250 on a Varmillo a year later what is it worth, 120?  I also like/collect pens, tools, and playing cards.  I like function and purpose.

All my keyboards are tactile, and to be honest I like the ones with the least tactility.  I wanna try a linear but I'm afraid I'll never pick up my other boards again and all was for naught.  I'm starting to feel as if the bump gets in the way and is distracting.  As with any hobby or vocation your likes, dislikes, and needs change and evolve over time.  Right now my fave board has MX browns and the bump is almost undetectable as it has been lubed.  What I may try when I have some time  is tearing down a board and lubricating the leaves (leafs)?  Has this been done? I've only tried a Red once in my life a few years ago and it was awkward, but taste changes.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 08:31:55 »

I can now see there are plenty of people from 25 to 50 who do everything from accounting, engineering, IT, coding, or just casual enthusiasts

I just turned 66 a couple of weeks ago, and except for terrapin (who rarely makes his presence known) I think I am the oldest active member.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline seville57

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 12:47:18 »
I'm 55 (for some weeks ago) and have 2 kids.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 June 2018, 12:49:30 by seville57 »

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 15:35:39 »

I can now see there are plenty of people from 25 to 50 who do everything from accounting, engineering, IT, coding, or just casual enthusiasts

I just turned 66 a couple of weeks ago, and except for terrapin (who rarely makes his presence known) I think I am the oldest active member.
Hey bro......I’m geezing at 58

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 15:54:23 »

Good to know!

Somehow I had it in my head that you were a year or 2 older than me ??
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 16:02:12 »

Good to know!

My beard or goatee makes me look like father time, but I don’t care.

Didn’t I buy a KB from you a couple years ago? Omni mod with green painted plate

Matias linear switches?

« Last Edit: Sun, 24 June 2018, 16:04:07 by terrpn »
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 16:21:37 »

Good to know!

My beard or goatee makes me look like father time, but I don’t care.

Didn’t I buy a KB from you a couple years ago? Omni mod with green painted plate

Matias linear switches?

probably, you've both been around forever
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 17:52:02 »

Didn’t I buy a KB from you a couple years ago? Omni mod with green painted plate.

Matias linear switches?

I don't remember the plate but I usually paint them after removing rust and green is a favorite color of mine.

And yes, I think that I had bought a bag of Matias switches to check them out, and put them in an Omnikey chassis.

Is it still working properly?
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 17:58:25 »

Didn’t I buy a KB from you a couple years ago? Omni mod with green painted plate.

Matias linear switches?

I don't remember the plate but I usually paint them after removing rust and green is a favorite color of mine.

And yes, I think that I had bought a bag of Matias switches to check them out, and put them in an Omnikey chassis.

Is it still working properly?
Absolutely.......

Alps are my favorites and I pretty much have all except brown.

Yours with the Omni w/Matias switches and a Dell bigfoot with teensy, USB and click leaf removed to where it is Alps black linear switches sits on my desk now.

Sweet board as is your Omni Northgate

« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:42:34 by terrpn »
More

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 01:40:28 »
Unless you count for the free clacks when you become moderator ;)
:eek:
Free clacks? Noice!

I'm relatively new to the hobby, at least in terms of being active on forums etc. but my interest in mech boards has been there for a long time.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:44:00 »
Unless you count for the free clacks when you become moderator ;)
:eek:
Free clacks? Noice!

I'm relatively new to the hobby, at least in terms of being active on forums etc. but my interest in mech boards has been there for a long time.
You poor soul.....

More