Author Topic: RS84 75% keyboard kit (USA only)  (Read 76739 times)

Offline promptcurry

Re: RS84 75% keyboard kit (USA only)
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 18:11:21 »
I got mine today too. It looks great. Can't wait to assemble it, once i find my soldering iron.

Offline bboyer

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 20:25:19 »
Mine arrived today as well, its incredibly sexy, going to build it now :D

also I'm a big dummy and can't figure out why there are two different screw types for the feet? Are the small ones incase the pcb wont clear the head?

*edit* here is a small album of my completed board using gateron clears (35g linear switches), I love this board so far and the fade effect is awesome

http://imgur.com/a/lIuvz
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2015, 23:46:41 by bboyer »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 01:04:44 »
Just finished building mine, everything went well except I noticed one of the rbg leds under the pcb was broken from the factory or shipping, no biggie since I have the SE and you can't really tell with the diffuser case. Should be the same for the bezel case.

I'll hunt for m5x8 screws tomorrow.

FN+Esc for the under pcb RBG led modes
FN+B for switch led modes, FN+V to turn on/off switch leds

The FN key is above the right arrow key.

Very happy overall, the SE is awesome.

Thanks for another successful GB Ivan.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 10:07:42 by digi »

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 06:25:41 »
Mine arrived today as well, its incredibly sexy, going to build it now :D

also I'm a big dummy and can't figure out why there are two different screw types for the feet? Are the small ones incase the pcb wont clear the head?

*edit* here is a small album of my completed board using gateron clears (35g linear switches), I love this board so far and the fade effect is awesome

http://imgur.com/a/lIuvz

So nice! Mine should be arriving tomorrow, can't wait!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 11:16:21 »
Did any of you SE folks get screws for yours yet? My local Fastenal has the M5 x .8 - 10mm countersunk hex screws but not the 8mm's. I might just have to order online..

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 12:12:06 »
Did any of you SE folks get screws for yours yet? My local Fastenal has the M5 x .8 - 10mm countersunk hex screws but not the 8mm's. I might just have to order online..

I'm about to check the local hardware store for some screws. If they don't have it, I'll look online.

Offline Finges

« Reply #206 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 12:38:19 »
Did Ivan send you a tracking number?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 15:14:06 »
Picked these up from Fastenal, they're actually M5-0.8 x 10mm, hopefully they're not too long. (I wanted black). If anyone gets the 8mm screws, please report back and let me know how close they are to the pcb.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 15:45:06 »

No, but USPS offers a service that lists all packages heading to your address, and its listing a package from the city/state that was on Ivans invoice.

https://my.usps.com/go/pages/intro/start.action

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 16:21:41 »
Looking for someone with a black or grey plate that would like to trade for my silver plate.

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 19:13:38 »

No, but USPS offers a service that lists all packages heading to your address, and its listing a package from the city/state that was on Ivans invoice.

https://my.usps.com/go/pages/intro/start.action

Mine came today by USPS... looks great!!  If anyone finds a place online to grab the bolts to affix the plaque let me know!  No rush, it will take me a while to put this together anyhow.  I tried doing a search for M5*8 countersink type bolt but didn't have luck yet.  I will do some more hard searching later.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 19:13:42 »
they fit perfectly! thanks for the info on the size Ivan.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #212 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 18:04:12 »
Is there a key mapper util for this? I'd like to change Scroll Lock to Print Screen...chea

Offline geniekid

« Reply #213 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:22:06 »
Got mine today.  Thanks Ivan for another successful GB.

Offline bubchi89

« Reply #214 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:47:11 »
Not sure if my PM went through (I think I forgot to check the "save PM" option). Unfortunately my case didn't survive shipping perfectly, but it seems to be damaged in a way that is perhaps okay. Basically ~6 of the plastic screwholes in the case seem to have broken off and a small diode (maybe?) seems to have been stripped off of the PCB. Is this normal? Should I ignore it and start building? Or should I figure out return shipping/wait for a new board/case? Something other option?

Thanks!

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #215 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 21:40:48 »
Picked these up from Fastenal, they're actually M5-0.8 x 10mm, hopefully they're not too long. (I wanted black). If anyone gets the 8mm screws, please report back and let me know how close they are to the pcb.

Show Image

Do you have a link to the ones you ordered? Black looks really nice!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #216 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 22:13:51 »
The Fastenal p/n is 2139946, they're M5-0.8 x 10mm flat head socket cap screws (black). I have extras if you want, pm your mailing address and I'll drop a couple in an envelope for ya =)

Offline 悬壶济世

« Reply #217 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 23:36:59 »
If you think of RGB light enough to even do this. It applies to RS96 and RS84.
RGB led Strip must be 5V. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Modify it to the fullest. If necessary ,use the USB3.0

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #218 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 23:48:47 »
I noticed my PC will get stuck in reboot cycle if I have the RS84 plugged in during boot, Windows 7 64 bit. Anyone else have this issue? I can use the keyboard fine once the OS is booted up. If I leave it plugged in during bootup, Windows 7 keeps auto-rebooting.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2015, 00:03:29 by digi »

Offline 悬壶济世

« Reply #219 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 00:22:18 »
I noticed my PC will get stuck in reboot cycle if I have the RS84 plugged in during boot, Windows 7 64 bit. Anyone else have this issue? I can use the keyboard fine once the OS is booted up. If I leave it plugged in during bootup, Windows 7 keeps auto-rebooting.
You can try to change a HEX. But I don't know how to upload, can you give me an email?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #220 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 00:25:24 »
You can try to change a HEX. But I don't know how to upload, can you give me an email?

Attached the .hex & .pdf manual from 悬壶济世:

Thank you! (xai xai)

Whatever was in the .hex file fixed it! I flashed it using the offline method (print to text printer) and it flashed successfully. When I get more time I'll play with the key-mapping.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2015, 01:07:53 by digi »

Offline Wystner

« Reply #221 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 02:31:55 »
Hi guys,

Received mine in the mail yesterday and I'm excited to take a crack at building it once my other stuff arrives. I'm a complete newbie at this; can someone tell me what size driver I should get to remove the tiny screws that are holding in the PCB to the case?

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #222 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 02:39:54 »
Hi guys,

Received mine in the mail yesterday and I'm excited to take a crack at building it once my other stuff arrives. I'm a complete newbie at this; can someone tell me what size driver I should get to remove the tiny screws that are holding in the PCB to the case?

I believe its 1.5 hex

Offline Wystner

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 05:30:42 »
Okay, thanks!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #224 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 11:43:12 »
Has anyone else successfully flashed their own keymap onto the keyboard?

I created my keymap via keyboard-layout-editor.com but then I noticed TMK Keymap Generator doesn't seem to have an selection for the RS84.  I'm a bit lost on how to create the eep file. 

EDIT: I meant eep file, not the hex file.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2015, 17:24:20 by geniekid »

Offline ebacho

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 17:56:54 »
Ivan, did everything go out?  Would like to know a rough estimate of when to expect a package so I can have someone look out for it.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #226 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 18:54:36 »
Putting this here in case anyone else has the same issue as me. The little RGB LED remote that arrived with my kit did not work. There's something rattling around in it and it doesn't come apart easily to see what going on inside.

The model number you want to look for if replacing it is APA 1616.

If you have a Harmony remote, you can find this remote under Home Automation > Light Controllers > APA > APA 1616.

If you have an Android device with an infrared blaster, you can use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.harrygr.rcoid&hl=en and use the APA 1616 configuration file from the app site: http://rcoid.de/remotes.html#ChinaNoname

I used the Android app before figuring out how to have the Harmony remote work as well.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #227 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 10:17:16 »

I created my keymap via keyboard-layout-editor.com but then I noticed TMK Keymap Generator doesn't seem to have an selection for the RS84.  I'm a bit lost on how to create the hex file. 

Good question. I'm going to see if there is a way to export the keymap of the RS84, edit it and hopefully re-flash it.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:17:40 »

I created my keymap via keyboard-layout-editor.com but then I noticed TMK Keymap Generator doesn't seem to have an selection for the RS84.  I'm a bit lost on how to create the hex file. 

Good question. I'm going to see if there is a way to export the keymap of the RS84, edit it and hopefully re-flash it.

Interesting idea.  I'm guessing the creator of the RS84 intended for the configuration process to be identical to the RS96 and just hasn't gotten around to adding support in TKG.  One thing I might try doing if I get impatient is to edit the codebase for the RS96 on kairyu's TMK branch to work for the RS84.  I have to believe this code already exists somewhere though...

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 15:21:05 »
you guys should try to have the RS96 selected and then input a layout where the non existant caps are blank.

Considering the RS96 pcb can be cut to be 75% it's possibly the exact same hardware underneath.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #230 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 15:30:18 »
removed to clean up thread, see posts below.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 09:00:46 by digi »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 15:44:55 »
you guys should try to have the RS96 selected and then input a layout where the non existant caps are blank.
Considering the RS96 pcb can be cut to be 75% it's possibly the exact same hardware underneath.
Not a bad idea azhdar.  I will try to add a blank 6x4 cluster to my layout and see if it works.

Where do you see that preset as an option, on http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/ ? I don't see it. thanks
digi, I just started with the preset for the Keycool 84 and modified it (for my split backspace layout) but it might be easier to start with a full layout and cut it down if you want to follow azhdar's suggestion.

Is there an easier to use software for programming TMK keymap?
The only other alternative I know of is modifying the TMK keymap file(s) directly and compiling it yourself.  It's not hard but creating the layout via keyboard-layout-editor.com and then copying the raw data into TKG to generate the hex is easier imo.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 15:48:23 »
thanks geniekid. What did you paste into Layer1?

If someone could paste their Layer0 for the RS84 (default) here, I would greatly appreciate it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2015, 16:12:21 by digi »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #233 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 17:44:41 »
Alright I think I figured it out - I had the layout wrong.  You pretty much have to get the keyboard text *exactly* right for TKG to work (text position matters).  There is no need to trick TKG into thinking you have an RS96.  See my working layout here.  I was able to use the RawData from this layout along with TKG to generate the eep file.  After flashing the eep file via offline flashing everything works as I expect.

I would not recommend using the KeyCool 84 preset as a starting point.  I would use my layout as a starting point and add/remove layers as necessary.  Pretty much everything azhdar's guide says for the RS96 applies here. 

digi, you can create multiple layers with the keyboard layout editor and then copy into TKG using All-In-One Layer Mode.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2015, 18:02:01 by geniekid »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 18:12:45 »
Alright I think I figured it out - I had the layout wrong.  You pretty much have to get the keyboard text *exactly* right for TKG to work (text position matters).  There is no need to trick TKG into thinking you have an RS96.  See my working layout here.  I was able to use the RawData from this layout along with TKG to generate the eep file.  After flashing the eep file via offline flashing everything works as I expect.

I would not recommend using the KeyCool 84 preset as a starting point.  I would use my layout as a starting point and add/remove layers as necessary.  Pretty much everything azhdar's guide says for the RS96 applies here. 

digi, you can create multiple layers with the keyboard layout editor and then copy into TKG using All-In-One Layer Mode.

Nice! Do I need to import import the Fn stuff for the led modes, etc.? What did you do for that?

Offline geniekid

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 19:11:27 »
I didn't have to do any of that "Import Fn" stuff.  Not sure what it's there for although, to be honest, I'm not doing anything fancy with the LEDs.  I used TKG to map Fn2 to toggle LEDs and Fn3 to step through LED colors but that's about it.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 20:04:16 »
All dialed-in.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/e9a8f533574d82646ec4897dd25d974b

BTW - Every time you execute the print job it will successfully flash the keymap but the print job will stay in the print spooler. MAKE SURE YOU DELETE ALL PRINT JOBS BEFORE RE-RUNNING THE FLASH or it will reflash the previous keymap every time.

I don't need that silly remote now =)

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 10:15:52 by digi »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 00:09:19 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 19:29:28 by digi »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #238 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 07:10:50 »
My space bar isn't pressing well, too wobbly. I hope this stabilizer I put in isn't having issues. Would have to desolder everything. Might it have anything to do with the space bar stabilizer being flipped upside down on this pcb?

I don't think that's a particularly unusual configuration.  I haven't experienced any problems with the RS84, RS96, or Lightsaver.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #239 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 09:02:33 »
My space bar isn't pressing well, too wobbly. I hope this stabilizer I put in isn't having issues. Would have to desolder everything. Might it have anything to do with the space bar stabilizer being flipped upside down on this pcb?

I don't think that's a particularly unusual configuration.  I haven't experienced any problems with the RS84, RS96, or Lightsaver.

thanks. It's probably something with the stabilizer itself then. I have a bad feeling the stab wire somehow got under the sliders or something..ugh.

*Fixed! The stab wire popped out, I was able to jimmy each side of it and slide the wire back into the stab sliders, good to go.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 19:23:55 by digi »

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 10:11:42 »
All dialed-in.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/49afbb628e8b842ad50d3b15231c2c71

Show Image

BTW - Every time you execute the print job it will successfully flash the keymap but the print job will stay in the print spooler. MAKE SURE YOU DELETE ALL PRINT JOBS BEFORE RE-RUNNING THE FLASH or it will reflash the previous keymap every time.

Show Image

I don't need that silly remote now =)

Digi and Geniekid, thanks for guinea pigging this and sorting out the quirks. I used Digi's layout as a starting point and between the info here and the RSIII pdf, was able to get the keyboard flashed.  :thumb:

Digi, you have F3 mapped twice. :-)
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 10:13:25 by rpeterclark »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 10:14:02 »
Hah! Thanks for catching that bud.

*updated my post with F3 mapping fixed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 10:30:03 by digi »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #242 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 19:55:57 »
All done, excuse the ghetto caps, had to use what I had laying around. :-[

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 20:41:33 by digi »

Offline sdiearly

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 22:12:02 »

RS84 + BSP
My favorite 60%:  TEX-Beetle
                 80%:  KBtalKing Race
                100%: Cherry G80-3494, Zowie Celeritas

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 22:33:41 »
Nice job! looks great :thumb:

Offline geniekid

« Reply #245 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 22:31:48 »
My RS84:

105624-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2015, 22:34:02 by geniekid »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 06:38:05 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #248 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 13:12:22 »
Ivan, did everything go out?  Would like to know a rough estimate of when to expect a package so I can have someone look out for it.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #249 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 13:46:55 »
I am still waiting to arrange something for damage item on 2 orders (taylordcraig and dblr). You 2 were the last in the list for those particular item, so you got the unlucky draw. The delux case is very badly broken, but perhaps could be made usable again with some expertly done epoxy though with very apparent cosmetic flaw. The other order issue is with a top bezel, which has a pretty decent sized scrape/gouge to the finish on a top facing corner. If you prefer not to wait and see about repair yourself to get going I can go ahead and send the items if you wish.
Otherwise everything else has gone out.