Author Topic: Adding extra keys to your Kinesis Advantage  (Read 271835 times)

Offline Squeaky Wheel

Re: Adding extra keys to your Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 21:42:38 »
I was thinking (big) space bars could also be used as palm buttons. Also, I hope one day to replace the casing anyway, with something prettier (bamboo?). Any idea what the electronics would look like?

I'm using Hasu's TMK firmware.

Anyway, if someone does manage to adapt this mod to the 'Dox (even if it involves using a completely different case) I would love to know. It would be invaluable for those of us using it for stenography.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:07:51 by Squeaky Wheel »

Offline hweller

« Reply #201 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 11:12:12 »
Inspired by this thread I have spent some time testing options on an old Kinesis Classic and after finising the design I started cutting and drilling my Kinesis Advantage.  I have fitted palm-shift and palm-keypad-shift keys as well as installing the innards of a Kensington SlimBlade trackball in the centre.  I have surrounded the trackball with two sets of mouse buttons so that the ball and buttons can be used with either hand.  The slight asymmetry in the positioning of the mouse buttons is a consequence of the location of the optical sensors on the trackball cup interfering with the switch bodies.  I am using the excellent GamerFinger Cherry MX switches for both the palm keys and the mouse buttons http://www.gamerfinger.com/hbfs30.html.

Overall I am very pleased with the result and would recommend the installation of the palm-shift-keys to anyone using a Kinesis Advantage as they are quite easy to fit.  I would also recommend the centre trackball but it is very tricky to fit and requires quite a bit of butchering of the keyboard case and SlimBlade internal structure.

Currently I am unable to attach the image as I keep getting the 500 error and loosing the text.  I will post it as soon as this problem is fixed.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 11:15:49 »
Congrats on the Kinesis mod. It's a substantial improvement. I'm currently using my "non-modded" Kinesis and it feels so wrong. Once you've put the palm keys in the keyboard, you'll miss not having them otherwise (laptop).

Look forward to seeing your pics!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline hweller

« Reply #203 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 11:17:13 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 November 2014, 06:30:32 by hweller »

Offline hweller

« Reply #204 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 10:01:41 »
Here is what I had to do to the case and inside to fit the switches and trackball:

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #205 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 11:12:31 »
Hweller-  Beautiful work on the Slimblade mod!  How did you attach the ball cup to the Kinesis body? Did you sandwich the body between the chrome ring and the beige cup housing or use some other method. I did something similar with a Slimblade and find it is very natural and comfortable to use. What functions do you have the 6 buttons around the ball set up for?

Offline hweller

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 11:26:20 »
Hweller-  Beautiful work on the Slimblade mod!  How did you attach the ball cup to the Kinesis body? Did you sandwich the body between the chrome ring and the beige cup housing

Exactly, the only disadvantage is that the ball is slighly lower with respect to the chrome ring but I have not found that a problem.

What functions do you have the 6 buttons around the ball set up for?

They are the two sets of the three mouse buttons, one set for each hand.  The two just below the ball are both left mouse button, the outer two below the ball are both the middle button and the two above the ball are the both the right mouse button.  So for your right hand you use the left pair below the ball and the right button above the ball and vice versa.  I tried several arrangements on the prototype I built from an old Kinesis Classic and this was the best, particularly with the smaller GamerFinger switches containing MX reds.

Offline Scoox

« Reply #207 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 00:22:29 »
Wow, some truly awesome mods in this thread! I first experimented with two footswitches to momentarily enable keyboard layers (e.g. symbols layer, numbers layer, embedded arrows, etc). This worked really well and in addition I was able to type caps when pressing both footswitches simultaneously. Recently I have started experimenting with thumb modifiers on a Japanese keyboard (which has a bunch of extra thumb keys). While footswitches took me no time to master, I am finding the thumb modifiers a lot harder to master, so I am wondering how palm switches compare.

The main problem is that when the index, middle, ring and pinky fingers move away from the home row to reach for other keys (especially keys that are more than one key away), the whole hand moves and naturally the thumbs have to follow. For example, on a normal keyboard when I press the number 8 key with my right index finger, my relaxed right thumb ends up over the N key, instead of the Space key. Things get tricky when you need to press more than one key with the same hand, because the thumb modifiers perceived location changes relative to the other fingers depending on which key combination is being pressed, which makes developing muscle memory really difficult. To mitigate this, standard keyboards have modifiers on both sides.

By contrast, footswitches are always in the same place, that is, directly under the feet, so you
 and that have experimented with footswitches and &)))thumb modifiers as a replacement for footswitches, so the need to develop any form of positional muscle memory is automatically removed.

My question is, does anyone have experience with all three solutions (thumb modifiers, palm modifiers and footswitches)? I am really interested in hearing your experiences. There are some keyboard mods on this thread with two palm buttons for each palm, does this mean you cannot rest your palms on keyboard? How usable are the palm buttons when the hand is reaching for numbers row keys?

Offline Scoox

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 00:55:58 »
When I actively type, I have my palms off the keyboard. It's the proper way to go to avoid RSI issues

I disagree. Having my hands constantly suspended in mid-air puts a lot of strain on my shoulders and upper back. My arms and hands are considerably more relaxed when my palms are resting on something. On a properly designed ergonomic keyboard, e.g. one using layers, only the fingers would need to move, while the palm stays put, so there would be no benefit in floating my hands.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 February 2015, 03:50:21 by Scoox »

Offline hweller

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 02:43:22 »
My question is, does anyone have experience with all three solutions (thumb modifiers, palm modifiers and footswitches)? I am really interested in hearing your experiences. There are some keyboard mods on this thread with two palm buttons for each palm, does this mean you cannot rest your palms on keyboard? How usable are the palm buttons when the hand is reaching for numbers row keys?

First I tried footswitches then added pinky keys for keypad shift, then added additional thumb keys for shift and finally palm switches for both shift and keypad shift -- the palm switches will hands down!

Offline Scoox

« Reply #210 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 04:01:18 »

First I tried footswitches then added pinky keys for keypad shift, then added additional thumb keys for shift and finally palm switches for both shift and keypad shift -- the palm switches will hands down!

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

BTW you have two palm buttons per hand, are your hands floating directly above the buttons while you type, or do you rest them between the key bowls and the palm buttons, and move them back only when you need to use the palm buttons?

On my normal keyboard I remapped the left control key to be enter. This key is roughly directly under the base of my pinky, so it feels very natural hitting this key with that part of the palm. Do you think a configuration like this (below) would work well on the Kinesis? The red circles indicate buttons, the red X indicates no button there.

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 February 2015, 04:11:43 by Scoox »

Offline hweller

« Reply #211 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 04:15:18 »
>  are your hands floating directly above the buttons while you type

Yes.  Actually I found that when I hand the palm pads fitted I rested on them too much and started to get pain in the part of my palms below my pinkies and now I have the palm switches for shift I cannot rest my palms while typing which I find is much better and I don't get any pain in any parts of my hands.

Personally I would not like to have buttons on the upper part of my palm but I cannot say if this would work well for you.  What I can say is that I don't use the outer palm-key at the moment as I don't use the keypad anymore.  However, a button in this position is usable and it could be mapped to something.  Alternatively, a single palm button located between the two I have would also be good if only palm-shift is needed.

Offline Scoox

« Reply #212 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 06:00:54 »
Actually I found that when I hand the palm pads fitted I rested on them too much and started to get pain in the part of my palms below my pinkies and now I have the palm switches for shift I cannot rest my palms while typing which I find is much better and I don't get any pain in any parts of my hands.

Thanks, did you get pain because you were resting your palms against the sharp edge of the bowls? Or was it some kind of RSI?

Offline hweller

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 06:48:23 »
I tended to rest the sides of my palms (below my pinkies) on the palm pads while typing.  It felt the most comfortable position for me and operated like this for some years before the pain set in.  The problem is it is very difficult to break this kind of habit but adding the palm shift buttons forced me to change to using arm rests rather than palm rests which is MUCH better, at least for me.

Offline Scoox

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 07:13:26 »
Thanks for the info. Sounds like either that part of the keyboard is too hight, or the tenting angle not steep enough. Either way, it means that on the Kinesis Advantage that is not a good place to put a button because it would be too easy to press accidentally.

Regarding the soreness, I think I am familiar with that pain, I got that on the heel of my hand from intensive mousing, and it got quite quite uncomfortable at a point. Using arm rests solved the problem.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 23:51:55 »
I like seeing trackball mods on Kinesis...it lends itself to trackballs well.

I'm thinking of a trackpad AND the pointing stick that's in the keywell (on my mod) so there are options depending on what you're doing (personal preference) along with the palm keys. I like the addition of the 4 instead of the 2.

Nice!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 03:56:15 »
I've gone through this thread numerous times over the past years, but now that I'm planning on doing the same thing, I finally realized how good of a guide it is! So thank you for it. I have a couple of questions though:
I don't understand matrices and NKRO that well, so I'm wondering exactly where the diodes are going in part 4. I'm guessing they're going from pin x to the switch? So that current will go, for example, pin 1 ->| switch ---- pin 11?
Also, how much depth is available for the arcade buttons? You used PS-15 switches, but would one be able to fit PS-14 or Sanwa OBSF switches, which go about 10mm deeper?

P.S. Does anybody have a guide or picture series on replacing the rubber function keys with Cherry switches a la The Mothership?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 12:46:19 »

P.S. Does anybody have a guide or picture series on replacing the rubber function keys with Cherry switches a la The Mothership?

I had photos of me doing this. Try my article and follow the link at the top to the photos. There may be pics of what I did.

Offline sordna

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 11:40:25 »
I've gone through this thread numerous times over the past years, but now that I'm planning on doing the same thing, I finally realized how good of a guide it is! So thank you for it.

You're welcome! Glad to hear my guide is of use to folks!

I'm wondering exactly where the diodes are going in part 4. I'm guessing they're going from pin x to the switch? So that current will go, for example, pin 1 ->| switch ---- pin 11?

Exactly. The photo in the OP shows the diode orientation; in all cases the diode cathode (marked side) points to the switch.

Also, how much depth is available for the arcade buttons? You used PS-15 switches, but would one be able to fit PS-14 or Sanwa OBSF switches, which go about 10mm deeper?

The PS-15 switches fit comfortably. I suspect deeper switches will fit if you bend their terminals flat onto the switch. Please do try it and post your results in this thread. Good luck and please share pictures!
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 April 2015, 11:42:29 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sordna

« Reply #219 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 01:29:39 »
My latest creation

Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 01:36:04 »
That's a very WHITE Kinesis, LOL.
I'm on Tapatalk so I can't easily see your other pics, but did you install the buttons closer to the bottom edge of the keyboard?

Offline kaltar

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 01:59:20 »
My latest creation

Show Image

I just do not like that color at all!

Offline sordna

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 08:35:01 »
That's a very WHITE Kinesis, LOL.
I'm on Tapatalk so I can't easily see your other pics, but did you install the buttons closer to the bottom edge of the keyboard?

No, I installed them closer to the outer edges of the keyboard (70mm from edge to hole center) and find it much better. Here is the previous one (78mm):

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2015, 08:37:19 by sordna »

Offline curious

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 16:52:26 »
I know I did something wrong, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. 

I added the two joystick palm switches, and attempted to put them in the place of the footswitch connectors FS1 and FS2.  I'm not sure where it went wrong, but the new buttons don't seem to do anything that I can tell....

Help me geekhack you're my only hope.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #224 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 17:33:54 »
Stop, drop, and roll.

It's really easy, so check everything again.
-do you know what to expect with FS1 and FS2?
-check the connections with a multimeter
-confirm each piece is functional by checking with a different connection.

The adding of these switches is a flawless mod, shouldn't be any problems, just hook up and type!

Offline sordna

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:27:34 »
I added the two joystick palm switches, and attempted to put them in the place of the footswitch connectors FS1 and FS2.  I'm not sure where it went wrong, but the new buttons don't seem to do anything that I can tell....

If you turn on the click sound on the keyboard, so you hear it when you press the palm switches? (Do they register?)

Bear in mind the switch needs to go between one of the FS terminals and GND.

You should be able to simulate keypresses even by merely connecting FS1 or FS2 to ground using a jumper wire.

Offline sordna

« Reply #226 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 12:40:58 »
Kinesis liked and tweeted one of my photos (they kindly asked my permission too):
https://twitter.com/kinesisergo/status/738079692381528064

Hope palm keys become more common!

Offline sordna

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 21:23:32 »
Hi folks, got my tools out again after a looong time and added 2 more arcade buttons to my work keyboard, smaller ones this time. Check part 6 which I just added in the OP. Now my work keyboard has 4 extra keys... still less than my home keyboard which has 8, but they will suffice. They are mapped as Escape and Windows keys (I'm using PC mode with 2 regular Alt keys in the thumb clusters).

« Last Edit: Sun, 19 June 2016, 11:35:34 by sordna »

Offline Megavvolt

« Reply #228 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 17:59:17 »
How do you guys use these diodes?
upd: Found the answer in Section 4 of the guide. Did not really understand the logic so will follow the guide (cathode to the switch as in the picture).
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 July 2016, 14:03:34 by Megavvolt »

Offline sordna

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 01:23:48 »
How do you guys use these diodes?
upd: Found the answer in Section 4 of the guide. Did not really understand the logic so will follow the guide (cathode to the switch as in the picture).

It's not necessarily "cathode points to switch". It depends on how the current is supposed to flow. For the particular PCB points I chose to solder the diode on, they diodes are oriented like this. If I were to swap the wire and diode on any switch, the orientation of the cathode would be toward the PCB. Basically the way I found the orientation is by trial. I touch the diode ends to each spot pair on the PCB both ways, and noted which orientation registers a keystroke (or makes a click sound if you have the keyboard sounds turned on). I then decided to use the particular PCB points that allow to orient the diodes with the cathode toward the switch (for no particular reason, although I did take care that I do this consistently for all of them).  So there's no science/advanced logic here, just simple trial to find which way works.  If you made this mod, please share some pictures of the result !

Offline sordna

« Reply #230 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 01:29:17 »
Here is a pic of an old Kinesis Classic where I did the 4-arcade button mod (see part 6 of the OP)
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 August 2016, 23:36:47 by sordna »

Offline Megavvolt

« Reply #231 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 17:56:45 »
If you made this mod, please share some pictures of the result!
Thank you for the explanation! I am still in the middle of everything - added the trackpoint today, hope to add the buttons this week. I only need two extra buttons (plus 3 footswitch buttons of course) - could you please take a look at the picture and tell if I'm going in the right direction?

Offline sordna

« Reply #232 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 22:57:37 »
Thank you for the explanation! I am still in the middle of everything - added the trackpoint today, hope to add the buttons this week. I only need two extra buttons (plus 3 footswitch buttons of course) - could you please take a look at the picture and tell if I'm going in the right direction?

Hmm not sure what 4 points to in the picture. Also on the right hand side pin #11 should be the second from the bottom, it looks like you marked the very bottom one. This picture I made is pretty high res, open it all the way to see:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26579.0;attach=3349;image

Before soldering I actually hooked up the keyboard to the computer (keyboard opened up) and tested the contact pairs to make sure I get the right ones (and the diode orientation properly). Of course I disconnected the keyboard during soldering itself.
By the way another place you can solder is the thumbcluster PCBs. Those can be unscrewed and flipped over without disconnecting any ribbons. I recently added Part 6 (adding extra arcade buttons) where I posted this picture:

« Last Edit: Sun, 21 August 2016, 23:00:47 by sordna »

Offline Megavvolt

« Reply #233 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 08:00:40 »
Thank you for pin 11 - indeed I missed that one!

As for pin 4, my soldering is not perfect and I prefer using through holes in PCB. I traced #4 to the nearest through hole and that's where I am going to solder the diode. I am just not 100% sure if I located #4 in your picture correctly.

I also plan to add a PS2 to USB converter and a trackpoint (already done) to this PS2 keyboard, so I don't plan to connect it to the computer in the nearest 4-5 days. Thought I'd solder everything first.

Offline sordna

« Reply #234 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 09:42:11 »
Thank you for pin 11 - indeed I missed that one!

As for pin 4, my soldering is not perfect and I prefer using through holes in PCB. I traced #4 to the nearest through hole and that's where I am going to solder the diode. I am just not 100% sure if I located #4 in your picture correctly.

Yup you got #4 right and tracing it to a different location on the PCB looks good as well.

Offline sordna

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 09:46:30 »
By the way in these PCBs the square solder points indicate pin #1 and then the nearest opposing one is pin #2, and continuing in a criss-cross fashion you have pins #3, #4, etc. So the odd ones form one row and the even another in these connectors.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2016, 09:58:32 by sordna »

Offline Megavvolt

« Reply #236 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 08:04:13 »
Sordna - as requested in "Suggestions for Advantage keyboard".
:)

Buttons assignment (left to right):
Enter
Keypad
Alt-F4
F10 ("exit" in some of the programs I use quite often)
Esc

P.S. As for the trackpoint, I had to use a nail file to round one of the corners. For attachment, I used 3M VHB adhesive tape and PP granules (they melt at around 160C/320F), and you can easily clean this stuff off your soldering iron using a cotton swab while the iron is still hot.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 August 2016, 08:24:50 by Megavvolt »

Offline sordna

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 09:45:51 »
Sordna - as requested in "Suggestions for Advantage keyboard".
:)

Buttons assignment (left to right):
Enter
Keypad
Alt-F4
F10 ("exit" in some of the programs I use quite often)
Esc

P.S. As for the trackpoint, I had to use a nail file to round one of the corners. For attachment, I used 3M VHB adhesive tape and PP granules (they melt at around 160C/320F), and you can easily clean this stuff off your soldering iron using a cotton swab while the iron is still hot.

Awesome stuff, thank for sharing photos! What is the PCB next to the trackpoint module ? And how is the whole thing connected to USB ?

Offline Megavvolt

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 11:08:31 »
The PCB is the controller I took from Lenovo SK-8855 keyboard (bought it off eBay new for $78 - would love get it cheaper but couldn't find any). The flexible cable came from the same keyboard.

Pictures of the internals kindly provided by davkol:
https://deskthority.net/photos-f62/lenovo-thinkpad-usb-keyboard-with-trackpoint-aka-sk-8855-disassembly-t9556.html

Challenges using Lenovo Trackpoint drivers:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=8971.msg2221282#msg2221282

1. I bought a PS/2 to USB converter, stripped it bare and used it to convert Kinesis from PS2 to USB.
2. Bought a simple 4 port USB hub, -//- and used it to connect both USB devices (trackpoint&keyboard) to my laptop.

Here's the USB cable I used (a super sweet cable by the way - had to cut off the micro USB connector and can testify that VCC and Ground wires in that cable are really really thick. Data+ and Data- wires are reasonably thin which makes for a reasonably small diameter of the cable. It would indeed make a good USB charging cable. The cable is also very nice to the touch (has a rubber-like outer shell):
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ugreen-Micro-USB-Cable-1m-2m-3m-Sync-Data-Charger-Cable-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-S4/32391749504.html

Offline Megavvolt

« Reply #239 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 09:18:25 »
Hi guys,

I keep getting a strange numpad button issue: when I press the button and try entering a numeric value nothing comes up.
I need to release and press the button again (sometimes even a couple of times) for it to start working.
Every time I press the button the numpad led lights up so I am sure the button is not at fault here.

Any ideas?

Offline sordna

« Reply #240 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 22:11:04 »
Hi guys,

I keep getting a strange numpad button issue: when I press the button and try entering a numeric value nothing comes up.
I need to release and press the button again (sometimes even a couple of times) for it to start working.
Every time I press the button the numpad led lights up so I am sure the button is not at fault here.

Any ideas?

Haven't encountered this problem. Maybe Kinesis tech support can help?

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #241 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 10:09:47 »
So if I just want to add two sets of buttons, I could just use the foot switch connections, correct (e.g, FS1 and FS2)?  Also, anyone know if the setup is same similar on Advantage2?  I'll try this first on my Advantage but if it works well, I'd want want to do the same with my Advantage2.

Now, only if HBFS-30 would get back in stock.

Offline sordna

« Reply #242 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 11:25:32 »
So if I just want to add two sets of buttons, I could just use the foot switch connections, correct (e.g, FS1 and FS2)?

Yes. You can even wire multiple buttons in parallel on 1 spot. What multiple spots gives you is independent remapping for each spot.

Also, anyone know if the setup is same similar on Advantage2?  I'll try this first on my Advantage but if it works well, I'd want want to do the same with my Advantage2.

Hoped someone would ask :-)  Yes, it works pretty much the same. The FS connector looks a bit different. Here are the pinouts and the v-drive tokes for remapping via file:

6-SW2 v-drive token: [rp-kpent]
7-GND
8-SW1 v-drive token: [mp-kpshf]
9-SW3 v-drive token: [lp-tab]

Now, only if HBFS-30 would get back in stock.

Haven't been able to find HBFS-30 either, but the Seimitsu PS-15 work great and have stood the test of time for me!

Here's my modded Advantage2 by the way:

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #243 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 13:40:50 »
Thank you for the information (and detailed instructions), sordna.  Time for me to source some buttons, wires, and quick connects.  Oh and stepped drill bit - figures I only have a small one.

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 20:37:18 »
sordna, is there any particular reason you went with Sanwa for 24mm buttons instead of Seimitsu buttons, like PS-14?

Offline sordna

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 01:01:51 »
sordna, is there any particular reason you went with Sanwa for 24mm buttons instead of Seimitsu buttons, like PS-14?

No, I just wanted to try Sanwa and the keyboard has enough depth in that spot. So various types could be used there. It is the south part of the keyboard that needs extra short ones like the Seimitsu PS-15.

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 16:34:41 »
Have successfully added two arcade buttons to make Advantage.  It appears I made minor errors on measurement so the locations are not quite same, but pretty close.  I was going to do the same to Classic and Advantage2 when my kids came home so I'll have to wait till later.

EDIT - Got around to doing the same to Adv2.  I guess I can't measure for **** - the one on the left is slightly lower again.  Also, the button locations on Adv2 is lower than Adv1 as well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2016, 19:49:57 by Salt Peanuts »

Offline sordna

« Reply #247 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 10:22:05 »
Have successfully added two arcade buttons to make Advantage.  It appears I made minor errors on measurement so the locations are not quite same, but pretty close.  I was going to do the same to Classic and Advantage2 when my kids came home so I'll have to wait till later.

EDIT - Got around to doing the same to Adv2.  I guess I can't measure for **** - the one on the left is slightly lower again.  Also, the button locations on Adv2 is lower than Adv1 as well.

Cool, photos please!

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 07:02:03 »

I haven't done this to my Classic yet since one of the Seimitsu PS-15 button i bought is sticking.

Offline sordna

« Reply #249 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 16:01:12 »
Show Image

Show Image

I haven't done this to my Classic yet since one of the Seimitsu PS-15 button i bought is sticking.

Nice work! I like your key caps too.
About the sticking button, you can open it up and see if it's the switch or the outer button sticking, in which case you could file it or something...