Author Topic: Big bunch of Model M terminal caps—just $700! (Don't fail to miss it!)  (Read 3261 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
"Lot of IBM Model M Clicky Keyboard Key Caps Vintage 1394100 Approx. 1320"

“Keys were pulled off of IBM Model M 1394100 Keyboard. There are approximately 1320 Keys in this lot. Most will need a good cleaning.”

Buy It Now price just $699.00 + $17.40 shipping! Original vintage grime included—plus free plastic bag! Don't fail to miss this incredible value!

(Okay, we are allowed to post the occasional sarcastic "Great Find", right?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Phenix

Re: Big bunch of Model M terminal caps—just $700! (Don't fail to miss it!)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 05:20:17 »
Wait - an FREE plastic bag!!?
This offer has to be so so so great!
-_-
Winter is coming.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 07:13:15 »
The stems must be selling separately.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 08:34:13 »
Stems are $6999.00

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 18:56:21 »
LOL
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 20:26:15 »
It's around $0.53 per keycap (excluding postage).

Most sellers with single keycaps charge $1 to $2 per keycap.

Usually for both parts though.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 21:16:14 »
It is about $55 per keyboard's worth of caps (for which Unicomp charges $30).

And if they came from terminals, it means that you might need up to a dozen additional replacements to fill out each set.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 01:37:02 »
It is about $55 per keyboard's worth of caps (for which Unicomp charges $30).

And if they came from terminals, it means that you might need up to a dozen additional replacements to fill out each set.

It does say they are all from 1394100 keyboards.

Wonder what happened to the keyboards ...

That's nearly 11 keyboards worth!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 22:51:01 »
It's around $0.53 per keycap (excluding postage)... Most sellers with single keycaps charge $1 to $2 per keycap.

Hey, so this is quite a deal! And I just happen to have $700 floating around here I don't need—ring 'em up!  :?D

It is about $55 per keyboard's worth of caps (for which Unicomp charges $30)...

Well, Unicomp's printing isn't up to the same standard as vintage IBM caps, especially on the text legends. (Why Unicomp switched to a different, less attractive font has always baffled me... Has anyone ever gotten to the bottom of that?)

Wonder what happened to the keyboards... That's nearly 11 keyboards worth!

Indeed. It's like someone selling a bunch of human teeth... You can't help wondering, "Where are the bodies?"