Author Topic: Happy Hacking Professional Bluetooth  (Read 108255 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Happy Hacking Professional Bluetooth
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 11:41:02 »
I'll be interested to see what people think.  I've been debating getting the hasu controller, this may change things.

But what IS a soft keyboard case? How does it differ from the regular keyboard? I'm confused... is it the keyboard case ITSELF or is it a carrying cloth bag?
A cloth sleeve. I coudn't find exact model but it clearly says "BIRD" on the label, looks like there's no PFU branding at all. Looks pretty generic.

Show Image

Show Image

Bird makes wrist rests, some of which are HHKB sized., probably the same company.

Offline joric

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 April 2016, 12:08:39 by joric »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 12:06:20 »
Found it in the Bird Electron facebook feed.

https://www.facebook.com/BIRDELECTRON/photos/a.168546086530891.49368.168542443197922/1118139348238222/?type=3

Show Image

Doesn't look too bad but doesn't look particularly pretty either. Reminds me of the cr*p you usually get with motherboards that you eventually end up never using.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 17:00:23 »
I'll await further testimonials as to how good the BT works with regards to latency and connecting, staying connected, and reconnecting after going to sleep.

Same here -- I'd happily make this upgrade if it turns out to be usable!

I can't perceive any latency and weird on typing and connection, no problem at all. Its case and controller are completely new designed and not compatible with Pro2 anymore, but just like Pro2 in terms of typing, no surprise and no disappointment.

As a bonus its rubber feet are way better than Pro2's :D  And battery compartment is not seeable when typing luckily :p

Offline Belfong

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 18:41:17 »
hasu, what about waking up from inactivity? Do you need to press the On button to wake it up? Does the Bluetooth goes to sleep?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 18:45:14 »
whats the price on one of them?

i dont need another keyboard but if it's an hhkb...
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 19:11:41 »
hasu, what about waking up from inactivity? Do you need to press the On button to wake it up? Does the Bluetooth goes to sleep?

Nvm, hasu answered it in another thread. There is a dip switch to make the HHKB never to sleep. By default it sleeps after 30 min of inactivity and the only way to wake it up is via the power button.

This is brilliant to me. I want a keyboard to not sleep.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 19:14:37 »

Nvm, hasu answered it in another thread. There is a dip switch to make the HHKB never to sleep. By default it sleeps after 30 min of inactivity and the only way to wake it up is via the power button.

Good to know. What is this "other thread"?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Belfong

Offline joric

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 11:01:21 »
Another new video:

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 15:40:44 »

I wonder how long the batteries will last in the 'always on' mode.

Offline skeaono

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 08:13:10 »
Apparently I'm the weird one here, AA battery and MicroUSB just sold me on this. Now I'm patiently waiting for a package from Tenso.

Offline joric

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 13:58:25 »
Yeah. Death to MiniUSB! That MicroUSB isn't really USB though, just a reserve power, there is only two wires:

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 20:34:46 »
Yeah. Death to MiniUSB! That MicroUSB isn't really USB though, just a reserve power, there is only two wires:
Show Image

death to all usb, bring back the telephone cable ps2 cable from the model m :v

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 13:23:35 »
I'll await further testimonials as to how good the BT works with regards to latency and connecting, staying connected, and reconnecting after going to sleep.

I can't perceive any latency and weird on typing and connection, no problem at all. Its case and controller are completely new designed and not compatible with Pro2 anymore, but just like Pro2 in terms of typing, no surprise and no disappointment.

As a bonus its rubber feet are way better than Pro2's :D  And battery compartment is not seeable when typing luckily :p

Thanks for your initial observations.

I am still hoping for additional impressions from the early adopters here. This keyboard is really tempting me.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 19:03:31 »

My wallet weeps at this news.

Though, realistically, I'd imagine I could offset much of the price by selling:
- my current HHKB (black body and very lightly used black keys I took off almost immediately to use white ones)
- an unused set of black keys from the bluetooth one
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2016, 19:06:22 by dchadwick »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 19:15:27 »
Apparently I'm the weird one here, AA battery and MicroUSB just sold me on this. Now I'm patiently waiting for a package from Tenso.

Seems to me that more than a few people are content with the AA battery compartment. This has both surprised me and intrigued me for sure

Offline joric

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:47:07 »
Got it today (ANSI with legends, black on black). First impression - it's ****ing huge and heavy (with the batteries), it's not comfortable to hold in one hand anymore due to the battery compartment. Comes with 2xAA Fujutsu batteries, didn't use them, installed a couple of my own Duracell Turbo Max. Battery cover doesn't seem very sturdy, probaby the first thing that will break and fall off if you drop the keyboard. MicroUSB has soft rubbery cover as on digital cameras. Came with that Smart Case from BIRD Electronics, ought to be just a dirt cheap neoprene bag without any Smart features. Rear button is just a push button as on most bluetooth peripherals; you hold it for about a second to turn the keyboard on and for about 3 seconds to turn the keyboard off. LED (red/orange/blue) turns off right after pairing and doesn't even blink afterwards, which is great (I hate LEDs on bluetooth devices). Pairing requires random 8-digit pin code that you have to type from the keyboard itself and press its own Enter (as on Filco Convertible 2).
Can't really add something else to what hasu posted so here are his pics http://imgur.com/a/YfcYt Internals are NOT interchangeable at all, totally different controllers and connectors.

Upd: some SBS comparison (angle is kind of too wide but believe me, that battery compartment is huge, it's about 2x1.5 cm, keys stick out differently because pro 2 is dentalbanded and because I squeezed keyboards together, cases seem entirely different so you wouldn't be able to switch the top covers, HHKB BT seems generally less rectangular). The whole album is here http://imgur.com/a/YYAOv

It says  "Thank you for ordering a pfu hhkb bt. We have listened to the customer's opinions about wanting a bluetooth model. The included smart case is a first 1000 preorder exclusive. Please give your product a lot of love!"
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2016, 17:07:36 by joric »

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 03:37:37 »
Great, thanks for the pics. Would you think it might be possible to put the internals of the BT inside a regular Pro 2? I'm thinking it should be possible.

Offline adhoc

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 03:47:17 »
Does it come with a usb dongle or does your device already have to have bluetooth capabilities?

Offline joric

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 03:53:25 »
Does it come with a usb dongle or does your device already have to have bluetooth capabilities?
Ofc there's no usb dongle but it's bt 3.0 (bcm20730) so it will work with every piece of **** outdated bluetooth device on the planet.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 03:58:44 »
Great, thanks for the pics. Would you think it might be possible to put the internals of the BT inside a regular Pro 2? I'm thinking it should be possible.

I don't see how that would be possible, judging by the pictures PSU made a larger case for the BT to accommodate the extras. I could be wrong though

Offline adhoc

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 04:09:57 »
Ofc there's no usb dongle but it's bt 3.0 (bcm20730) so it will work with every piece of **** outdated bluetooth device on the planet.

Thanks for the answer. So for those of us on desktop we need to buy a bluetooth stick as well :/

Offline joric

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 04:26:00 »
Here are the pics:

Sorry it's rotated on the pic, but well, looks like keyswitch boards match. So yeah apparently it's possible. But I'm not sure, haven't tried yet (it would need unscrewing 18 screws, to me it's fine as is). Maybe Hasu. Or maybe when I'd feel the urge to dentalband it (I don't really want to do that now, but it rattles as a mother****er, same as a stock Pro 2). Controllers are entirely different though, and probably different voltage. It's not that ugly to ***** about it, but yeah, there's no white or Type-S HHKB BT (yet?).

Upd: long story short - you can't put HHKB BT internals into a HHKB Pro 2 case without damaging it (I'll post pics later). Sorry for raining on your parade. You'd either need an extender cable for the bluetooth board or cut part of the left leg compartment off. Also the keyswitch board blocks the top left screw and there's a few plastic stems (at least 2 long ones at the top and 1 at the top left screw) that you'd have to cut off, irreversibly damaging the case.

Upd2: more pics - you have to cut off a few plastic stems and probably use an extension 20 pin cable because bluetooth board interferes with the left stand (you probably won't cut the case so much, all I've done is pretty innocent. Warning! Gore!).

TL;DR: I wasn't able to swap cases, it needs a lot of carving (more than I can allow in order to sell the HHKB Pro 2 afterwards). Maybe it's possible with a flat 20 pin extension cord to move the bluetooth board out of the way (you can actually close the case if you move those boards a bit here and there. Not sure about the battery though, probably you could find a place for a small Li-Po battery (it's not that notorious power hog anymore) and a tiny charger board. There's no place for 2xAA, that's for sure.

P.S. That hump with batteries is actually removable, so one could probably mold another, a more pleasant one. The shape is pretty complicated though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2016, 15:37:51 by joric »

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 10:48:36 »
Thanks for the great info :) It's especially great that the battery compartment is removable. Modifying that somehow would be much better than switching cases IMO.

I really feel like buying one, had I just known it before I bought my black Pro 2. Three HHKBs might be a bit over the top...

Offline joric

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 11:34:31 »
Dentalbanded, blank caps and Red/Blue Ctrl/Esc set (not included). Beauty shot (check out dat ass!):
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2016, 11:38:30 by joric »

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 16:52:38 »
High five, Joric

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 18:23:08 »
battery pack looks like a tumor
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 18:45:48 »
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline joric

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 01:22:01 »
Regarding that wake up button and 30-minute inactivity - I left the keyboard overnight with the dip switch set to "Wake Up Enable: ON" and it woke up with the first keystroke. I guess I should use "Wake Up Enable: OFF" in order to save the battery.

Upd: Yep, with "Wake Up Enable: OFF" it completely turns off and needs a button. This is cool (well, it's battery friendly, that's for sure).
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 May 2016, 02:34:52 by joric »

Offline Trev

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 01:28:11 »
Will a keystroke not typically wake it up? Is this thing really that old-school?

Offline joric

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 04:51:49 »
It's Topre, capacitive switches, they always draw power - no matter what, so PFU has added an option to wake up from a physical (passive) button.

Offline Trev

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 04:57:43 »
Ah, of course. Anyone checked if it's still 5V or have they gone lower?

I'd be curious to see how long it can last for in the never-sleep mode.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 05:03:16 »
battery pack looks like a tumor

this and the curvy side

why pfu why?

Offline Trev

« Reply #184 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 05:08:17 »
Because they're stuck in 2004. I hate their design lazyness and how much they're charging for the privilege, but I still want one. Hopefully we'll see a mod to remove the hump and use a flat LiPo internally instead.  :)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 05:26:17 »
Ah, of course. Anyone checked if it's still 5V or have they gone lower?

I'd be curious to see how long it can last for in the never-sleep mode.
It drives all of components and switches with 3V.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 05:47:34 »
When typing fast, do you notice a lag?

Offline joric

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 05:52:54 »
No there's no noticeable lag on those devices, I guess it's some kind of urban legend. Or maybe I'm just not typing fast enough.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #188 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 10:19:02 »
No there's no noticeable lag on those devices, I guess it's some kind of urban legend. Or maybe I'm just not typing fast enough.
I feel lag when using the Apple Magic Trackpad on a Mac. I haven't tried a Bluetooth keyboard but I'd imagine the lag is due to the communications over Bluetooth. So it's not exactly a urban legend.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #189 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 11:25:56 »
I've used bluetooth mice and that same Apple trackpad (not the current version, but the previous one), and used to use an Apple Bluetooth keyboard (before I became enlightened enough to use my HHKB) and have never noticed any discernable lag. I'm not counting the initial tiny blip of unresponsiveness you might get when the device has been unused for a while.

Then again, I top out at maybe 80 wpm, so I'm not sure if typing lag kicks in above some super high threshold or what. Also, I don't really game, so some tiny amount of mouse lag would probably not affect me as much as some super twitchy gamer type...

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 14:31:17 »
Although it has no noticeable lag the Apple wireless keyboard only has as little as 2kro to 6kro, depending on the combination of keys pressed. A stock HHKB 2 PRO or Realforce have 6kro, with Hasu's HHKB Alt controller nkro is possible over USB - 6kro with Bluetooth.

Offline joric

« Reply #191 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 06:13:15 »
It's especially great that the battery compartment is removable. Modifying that somehow would be much better than switching cases IMO.

It's not that removable, well it's mounted with a couple of screws - but if you remove it, the board with the button sticks out for about 1.5 cm, you'd have to saw it off.

Upd: it's not that bad, actually, but it still sticks out. There are 4 glue strips but it's pretty easy to remove (you'd have to pick up latches and push it inwards). Without the batery compartment there could be a place for a small Li-Po battery but you won't be able to put 2xAAAs there, the bluetooth board occupies a lot of space.

Added more pics here http://imgur.com/a/YYAOv
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 May 2016, 11:40:02 by joric »

Offline Enz0man

« Reply #192 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 15:05:52 »
Just realized i replied to the wrong thread :/

Great first post...
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 May 2016, 15:07:29 by Enz0man »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 20:01:36 »
I'll buy one, see if I can modify the design to not have the bulge. If it doesn't work, oh well; the bulge isn't actually that bad.
If I destroy the thing, then that's an issue.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 23:34:12 »
The bulge doesn't look too bad, nice tear down.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 00:31:58 »
Did we find where we can buy one?  Can confirm no stock in Tokyo or Kyoto as of this week.  Are you guys buying on Amazon.jp and or using a proxy?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 01:04:30 »
Did we find where we can buy one?  Can confirm no stock in Tokyo or Kyoto as of this week.  Are you guys buying on Amazon.jp and or using a proxy?
I don't think you can find it at street shop. It is available only at online; Amazon or rakuten.

Amazon can ship to your hotel in a day or two if you are staying in Japan probably.

Offline joric

« Reply #197 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 04:28:10 »
Amazon.jp - choose your model here http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/bt/ and http://zenmarket.jp
Shipping took just about a week and $20. Shipping weight is about 1100g (PFU ships in a large box). Cheers!

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 10:04:23 »
I've had good experiences with Smart Imports, they ship direct to USA. That's where I got my HHKB JIS Type-S.

They seem to have one version of the HHKB BT in stock:

http://www.smartimports.net/pfu-happy-hacking-keyboard-professional-bt-bluetooth/

Offline joric

« Reply #199 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 11:03:34 »
They seem to have one version of the HHKB BT in stock:
http://www.smartimports.net/pfu-happy-hacking-keyboard-professional-bt-bluetooth/
Just tried that, they sell keyboard that costs about $277 (29700 JPY) for $319.00 WITHOUT shipping, shipping to US will cost either Airmail (Uninsured - 7 to 10 days) $18.50 or Insured EMS Express $26.00. So insured delivery would cost $345.00, almost +$70. I say f*** them.