Author Topic: The GH Classic 60 - Idea for a new keyboard case/mod  (Read 6874 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
The GH Classic 60 - Idea for a new keyboard case/mod
« on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 11:45:01 »
Got more ideas as I started sketching, but the general premise is a universal 60% case that adds a BT module up top (the extra space above number row would house the BT tech).  Use this as a way to turn your 60% into a sweet retro looking device that can connect to your phone or tablet when needed.

Not only does it look awesome, but it's functional.  You could plug the existing USB from the board into the Bluetooth controller, hide that in the top of the case,  and then have a connector coming out the back of the case.  Wired bluetooth similar to the Matias and Uniqey boards.  This would hopefully be fully compatible for any 60% you drop into it (V60, Pok3r, GH60, etc).

I would want a button on the case that turns on the bluetooth and automatically switches to that device.  Keeping it on the case would ensure that any programming on the board you put in it would still be supported.  Maybe a sweet rocker switch on the right-hand side like a Commodore 64!

I went with the Commodore 64 theme because this is my dream board.  I envision it being thick beige plastic with some nicely rounded edges, but of course it could have a more neutral look with black or white keys and more squared off anodized aluminum case.

Dual led red/blue for the top right.  Red would be power and it could turn blue when Bluetooth is enabled.

Would need some SA retro keycaps for this, of course  :thumb:
151892-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 November 2016, 13:25:25 by reececonrad »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: The GH Classic 60 - Idea for a new keyboard case/mod
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 16:38:40 »
I'm going to work on this some more when I get home.  Maybe I can work up a side view that incorporates the rocker switch idea.  I wish I knew of a way to make something like this come to life.  I know that it would garner more support if it was a more generic style, but the retro vibe really puts me to task, so I'm sticking with it for now.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 18:19:02 »
Looks cool! I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 18:45:58 »
+1
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 18:57:35 »
seems Bluetooth will be the hardest part so that's where I'm starting.  The bluefruit board should allow me to receive the input and broadcast it but I'm not sure how I'm going to add in the switching ability.  I wanted it to have the ability to switch device connection and this route is just going to make it only Bluetooth. 

Offline 1391406

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 20:54:00 »
Too bad it doesn't have 64 keys.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 19:34:06 »

:cool:
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 19:36:40 »
Oh man.  I'd buy one in a heartbeat  :thumb:

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 19:54:50 »
This is awesome.
keyboards.

Offline squeakypizza

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 06:43:49 »
Oh man.  I'd buy one in a heartbeat  :thumb:

I second that!

Offline pomk

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 08:58:49 »
I would suggest removing that BT led, in my experience it would consume way more current than the rest of the board, if executed with an efficiency mindset.

Offline hanya

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 09:09:43 »
The metal case reduces intensity of Bluetooth transmit dramatically. You would have some problem about it with this design.
PFU HHKB JP, Sanwa MA-TB38 trackball

Offline dantan

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 09:58:45 »
 Second that. I find metal seems to affect bluetooth. or maybe it is just me being unlucky.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 10:02:20 »
I think rigid, textured abs would be great for this project.  It would keep the price low and would stay in line with the retro theme. We could always include an optional metal weight on the back for people who want heft.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 10:09:40 »
I would suggest removing that BT led, in my experience it would consume way more current than the rest of the board, if executed with an efficiency mindset.

Good point.  My original concept was to create a case that could somehow drop in any 60% board and make it bluetooth with either a rocker switch on the side (in line with Commodore 64 theme) or keypress (like matias or uniqkey boards).  I wanted the light to be red when the board was running off USB and blue when in Bluetooth mode.  I still don't know that this would be possible, but I like the idea.  I was thinking that in bluetooth mode, the led would flash while pairing but then maybe it could turn off after that to save battery.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 10:45:06 »
I could see the possible issues with a metal case doesn't the VB87M use one?  ABS would be cool too and probably cheaper but personally I would like metal if possible.  A weight could be a possibility if we had to do a plastic case although I'm not quite sure how I would implement one as the design is currently.

As for the led.. is 1 led really an issue?  Again, back to the VB87M and even that new lofree both offer full led backlighting.  The electronics part of implementing bluetooth is really beyond me at the moment, so I'm just genuinely curious.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 10:56:00 »
That's an ingenious idea and the case looks awesome. Make it happen.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline pomk

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 09:45:13 »
I could see the possible issues with a metal case doesn't the VB87M use one?  ABS would be cool too and probably cheaper but personally I would like metal if possible.  A weight could be a possibility if we had to do a plastic case although I'm not quite sure how I would implement one as the design is currently.

As for the led.. is 1 led really an issue?  Again, back to the VB87M and even that new lofree both offer full led backlighting.  The electronics part of implementing bluetooth is really beyond me at the moment, so I'm just genuinely curious.
A bt 4 implementation will consume just 20-200 uA of current if done well, while a single notification led can consume something like 1 mA when lit. Though I must say that the leds power consumption is not going to be relevant if the idea was to use an usb keyboard and just translate its communication to BT. The usb keyboard is going to use at least 20 mA, and probably a lot more especially if it's back lit.

It all comes to what  kind of battery life you deem good enough.

Offline ineph

• nostalgic procrastinator
  • Do you know the Venus Project??
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 16:48:23 »
+1
+2
Also, I like these retro themed keyboards

Bla bla bla Stealthbla bla Blue