Author Topic: HHKB vs HHKB Type S extreme price difference  (Read 10973 times)

Offline dannyb123

HHKB vs HHKB Type S extreme price difference
« on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 12:54:07 »
Perhaps someone more experienced can advise me on this. I'm considering taking the plunge and getting a HHKB Pro 2. I want the Type S but I'm finding it hard to justify the price jump from $240 to $340. I appreciate these are a premium product with a premium price but an extra $100 for the type S seems ludicrous. An additional $50 for the type S and I'd probably just buy it without thinking twice. What do you guys think? Should I mod the Pro 2 instead, but how would that compare with a Type S and how difficult is the mod?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: HHKB vs HHKB Type S extreme price difference
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 12:58:52 »
It's not worth it, you'd be better off buying the stock Pro 2 and adding Hypersphere's Silencing Rings and/or lubing it if you find you want it a bit quieter.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 13:01:09 »
You could buy some silencing rings from Hypersphere, which are available at Ebay, and mod the HHKB. I think it is easy, I have done this mod twice. It would add around $50 to the HHKB price. But it takes some time, and depends on the fact if you want to do something like this with a new product of course.

[EDIT] This guy above was faster! But basically the same answer :)
... ...

Offline dannyb123

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:00:47 »
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm reading the 'Topre dome issues?' thread. Can that happen when im installing the Hypersphere silencing rings to a HHKB pro 2? Doesnt seem worth it to save $50 if there is good chance i might cock it up
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:02:50 by dannyb123 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:04:22 »
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm reading the 'Topre dome issues?' thread. Can that happen when im installing the Hypersphere silencing rings to a HHKB pro 2? Doesnt seem worth it to save $50 if there is good chance i might cock it up
Obviously any topre board isn't going to work right if it isn't reassembles correctly.

The key is practice and paying attention to detail.

At least there is no soldering like MX. :D

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:07:49 »
I had both and sold the Type S and kept the regular HHKB. It's obviously personal preference but, for me, the regular HHKB is just much more fun to type on. The Type S is more expensive but not necessarily "better".
REΛLFORCE

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:10:26 »

It shouldn't, as you don't need to move the domes at all, only the sliders.

Offline dannyb123

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:18:33 »
Thanks again for quick replies.

I had both and sold the Type S and kept the regular HHKB. It's obviously personal preference but, for me, the regular HHKB is just much more fun to type on. The Type S is more expensive but not necessarily "better".

Yes I understand this. I think what I'll do is buy the regular version and if the sound bothers me then i can then consider either installing the rings or getting the type S.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:43:24 »
Basically..

it's  Overpriced vs  VERY-Overpriced..

Can't go wrong with either..  the mod thing.. It's not $100 worth of labor, so if ur up for it, it's pretty newb-proof.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 00:08:01 »
I'm considering taking the plunge and getting a HHKB Pro 2. I want the Type S but I'm finding it hard to justify the price jump from $240 to $340.

If you're handy with taking apart a HHKB and putting it all back together again with NO defects, then do it.

If you are NOT handy, then spend the money on a HHKB Type-S and enjoy it, don't be some stupid fool out to prove something here on Geekhack Central, that you could mod a standard HHKB into Type-S status and ruin it permanently.

I've seen other clowns here on GH sell their beloved HHKBs which were all modded by themselves and they were very happy in selling it (getting rid of it) fast and usually LYING about why they were selling it in the first place.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 03:24:13 »
I modded two Novatouch keyboards (45-55g dome mods and dental rings).

It's all been said above - it is a matter of practice and paying attention to details.
Opening keyboard is easy, but you need to keep an eye on domes so they won't jump up and all springs go all over the place. If it happens, you can still put them all together, but its just more work for you;)
You need to slowly pull apart top and bottom, so all domes sheet stays on pcb. From that moment, its all easy peasy:)
Pushing out stems and putting rings on them and back in the frame.
I paid £2 for dental rings. So yes, it is not worth paying $100 for silenced keyboard, if you can do it for cheaper.
However, if you have rather clumsy hands and not really good with handing small objects etc then you would better pay for type S.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 07:40:57 »
Perhaps someone more experienced can advise me on this. I'm considering taking the plunge and getting a HHKB Pro 2. I want the Type S but I'm finding it hard to justify the price jump from $240 to $340. I appreciate these are a premium product with a premium price but an extra $100 for the type S seems ludicrous. An additional $50 for the type S and I'd probably just buy it without thinking twice. What do you guys think? Should I mod the Pro 2 instead, but how would that compare with a Type S and how difficult is the mod?

If you live in the U.S., you can check out Amazon - I just bought a white Type-S from there for around $308 (free shipping with my Prime Account). That's a little bit cheaper than I had been seeing when I looked around earlier this year.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 18:01:02 »
The stems of the normal HHKB are not meant for silencing rings. If you put silencing rings on the stems of a normal HHKB you will shorten the keytravel.
The Type-S has longer stems to make up for the thickness of the silencing rings. Therefore Type-S > modded HHKB

Offline Severe

• HHKB Zealot
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 21:40:40 »
I'm a heavy fingered ****er and the HHKB is still is stock trip a pretty quiet board
HHKB Pro 2 Black Lubed 55g
Logitech G502 (Gaming) Logitech MX Master 2 (Day to day)

Offline dannyb123

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 11:47:33 »
I do really want to pull the trigger on the type S BUT im now realising that as I live in the UK i will have to pay 20% vat for importing the keyboard from the seller on ebay in Japan. I did send the seller a message and asked if they would be willing to mark the keyboard with a low value so i could avoid the taxes but they gave a firm no. At current exchange rates that takes the type S up to £318 ($408). Are there any alternative options to get a better price on the keyboard shipped to the UK?

I can afford it but part of me is starting to baulk at the obscenely high cost. I'm wondering if i should cut my losses and just buy a pok3r with mx blacks, clears or nature whites.

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 11:50:08 by dannyb123 »

Offline dannyb123

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 11:55:19 »
Ok sorry yes i do see this price of $308 on amazon which is better. Taking the cost with VAT down to £285 ($370). Decisions decisions, can pick up a pok3r for so much less

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 11:58:26 »
I just posted somewhere... Type S expensive? Yes. But buying the HHKB AND doing the hyperdomes swap... those hyperdomes are really expensive as well, here in Netherlands I'd pay around 70-80 dollars/euro's. So that's almost as expensive as HHKB Type S. Ignoring extra shipping costs as well: one time for HHKB and another time for Hyperdomes.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:00:54 »
I just posted somewhere... Type S expensive? Yes. But buying the HHKB AND doing the hyperdomes swap... those hyperdomes are really expensive as well, here in Netherlands I'd pay around 70-80 dollars/euro's. So that's almost as expensive as HHKB Type S. Ignoring extra shipping costs as well: one time for HHKB and another time for Hyperdomes.

what hyper domes?  they cost $80 ?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:01:12 »

what hyper domes?  they cost $80 ?

Here, yes.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:02:45 »

They aren't domes. They are rings that go on the slider shaft.

Edit: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73940.0
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:06:33 by SpAmRaY »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:04:26 »

you mean hypersphere..

Yea they're a HUGE ripoff @ more than $10..

o-rings can not possibly cost that much to produce.

DO NOT support a company that's blatently fuking you guys up the ass..

A huge box of orings sell for $5.....   no they don't fit your topre,  but look at what margins hypersphere is making on you guys, that's criminal..

Selling you guys something worth 50 cents for $60..   

How could hypersphere orings cost $60.. 

Offline dannyb123

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:06:23 »
HHKB pricing also doesnt make much sense to me, they are surely pricing themselves into a very niche low volume part of the market. Dropping the price but remaining in the high premium bracket would no doubt see sales increase signficantly.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:15:15 »
HHKB pricing also doesnt make much sense to me, they are surely pricing themselves into a very niche low volume part of the market. Dropping the price but remaining in the high premium bracket would no doubt see sales increase signficantly.

It's absolutely japan-hype..

Don't not buy it because of the price,   but just keep in mind that a freaking snapdragon 820 phone sells for $200 these days..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:05:40 »

you mean hypersphere..

A huge box of orings sell for $5.....   no they don't fit your topre,  but look at what margins hypersphere is making on you guys, that's criminal..

They are really that expensive here. Yes, I mean hypersphere rings. sawry!

But uhm... wasn't it like super difficult to produce them in perfect shape and consistently? Some people who did the rubber band mod said the variation was a bit too wild, that all keys felt somewhat different.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:10:09 »

you mean hypersphere..

But uhm... wasn't it like super difficult to produce them in perfect shape and consistently? Some people who did the rubber band mod said the variation was a bit too wild, that all keys felt somewhat different.

Yes. Regular O-Rings feel like complete **** in an HHKB.

But don't worry, TP4 gonna delivery his ultra cheap silencing rings, I'm sure of it!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:21:42 »

you mean hypersphere..

Yes. Regular O-Rings feel like complete **** in an HHKB.

But don't worry, TP4 gonna delivery his ultra cheap silencing rings, I'm sure of it!

MAKE IT HAPPEN TP

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:27:27 »

Yes. Regular O-Rings feel like complete in an HHKB.

MAKE IT HAPPEN TP

Guys, take this to the hypersphere thread..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:28:59 »

MAKE IT HAPPEN TP

i know i know i know sorry

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:29:00 »

MAKE IT HAPPEN TP

Even better, take it to the interest check!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89204

Offline scudley

• nobody howls at the sun because it sucks
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:53:44 »
I went with the type-s and, no I don't think it's worth $100 more than a regular HHKB but I'm still glad I chose it for my purposes. I do a lot of typing in the library at school and was always worried I'm annoying someone with the clicky keyboard I used to bring so I wanted something quiet. I had used a friend of mine's hhkb before and after he lubed/hypersphered it and felt that, while considerably quieter, it lost some of the "springyness" that made typing on it so enjoyable (for me at least). So I decided I wanted the type s and after searching for a few weeks I found a used one for a good price and I'm happy with it.  That said, if I was forced to pay retail I would go with the reggie HHKB, the sound difference isn't *that* much.
HHKB Type-S | GH60 Satan - 67g Cherristotles | GHpad - 78g Zealios

Offline Polymer

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 15:19:29 »
If you are NOT handy, then spend the money on a HHKB Type-S and enjoy it, don't be some stupid fool out to prove something here on Geekhack Central, that you could mod a standard HHKB into Type-S status and ruin it permanently.

I've seen other clowns here on GH sell their beloved HHKBs which were all modded by themselves and they were very happy in selling it (getting rid of it) fast and usually LYING about why they were selling it in the first place.

This...

With the price of hypersphere rings, you're better off getting the slightly longer sliders and no labor...unless you WANT to do it yourself...but for someone complaining about 100...50+doing it yourself is a really bad decision..

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 15:35:13 »
with a type s you get the cool type s badges
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 22:49:46 »
I recently purchased a HHKB Pro 2 and decided on that one versus the Type S mainly because of the price and because I use it at work in a dedicated office. So no one to annoy but myself.

That said, I do have some hyperspheres around, enough that I could mod the Pro 2 if I wanted to... and I am really considering it mainly just to hear the difference and see if I like it. But Scudley, your comments raise a few red flags for me. You mentioned using hyperspheres took some of the "snappiness" away from HHKB. Then you mention worse sound. Would you please elaborate. Do the longer stems in the Type S matter that much vs standard stems with hyperspheres?
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline SICAR187

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 12:36:22 »
I've never used a HHKB, but have a used/use a 87u 55g NT'd/HyperShepere'd/lubed and a stock F660C and felt a difference in key feel, not sure, but it feels more like the HypeSpheres do cause a slight (but noticeable) less key travel. I personally don't like it, and would go with a Type-S, if you're really worried about a silent board, or just get the stock, if it's not really an issue (I would stick with the latter). YMMV

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 12:39:21 by SICAR187 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:38:38 »

This...

With the price of hypersphere rings, you're better off getting the slightly longer sliders and no labor...unless you WANT to do it yourself...but for someone complaining about 100...50+doing it yourself is a really bad decision..

This is actually the best coarse of action..   the travel is properly spaced..  This has 2 benefits,   the more clearance allows for better compression and relief of the rings themselves ..  And this also improves the dampening possible as the ring is allowed to decompress.

Whereas with hyperspheres, because the rings are pressed hard against the top , they do not have as much space to absorb and release the potential energy from the rebound

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 16:57:17 »
Obviously any topre board isn't going to work right if it isn't reassembles correctly.

Hahaha!  Never thought of it that way!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 17:00:29 »

while it's unlikely to break the board irreparably just from taking it apart..  the $60 oring mod  is totally not worth the price, and the result is still not nearly as good as the silence-edition..

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 17:18:52 »

while it's unlikely to break the board irreparably just from taking it apart..  the $60 oring mod  is totally not worth the price, and the result is still not nearly as good as the silence-edition..

Yeah, they are HYPErsphere, I guess.  I haven't used a hypersphered one, but was thinking of trying them out on a black HHKB and saving some cash...  Sounds like it might be better to do a true swap.  But if I'm going to spend that much, I'd just go for a 55g mod and call it good. 

Now I'm not sure...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 19:20:03 »

TPs right here, never take apart a working standard HHKB and try and convert it to a weak HHKB Type S, it will fail every time and those that say it's worth it, suddenly find their conversions in the For Sale column on this forum site.

I leave that up to you to work out how fantastic a job they have done to finally have them ditching it onto an unsuspecting newb, that knows nothing about what they are actually buying here because it's certainly NOT a HHKB Type S.

You want a Type S then buy it, don't settle for moronic transformations that NEVER truly emulate a REAL, working HHKB Type S  :thumb: .
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 19:22:19 by Elrick »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 19:40:43 »

TPs right here, never take apart a working standard HHKB and try and convert it to a weak HHKB Type S, it will fail every time and those that say it's worth it, suddenly find their conversions in the For Sale column on this forum site.

I leave that up to you to work out how fantastic a job they have done to finally have them ditching it onto an unsuspecting newb, that knows nothing about what they are actually buying here because it's certainly NOT a HHKB Type S.

You want a Type S then buy it, don't settle for moronic transformations that NEVER truly emulate a REAL, working HHKB Type S  :thumb: .

i dont often reply to elrick's posts because he sits around huffing gas all day, but OP, i would like to point out that this is incorrect. there are plenty of mods you can do and unless you're hitting the damn thing with a hammer or losing springs, you're not gonna break anything. i've had the same HHKB for 3 years and have performed multiple silencing mods on it with zero damage to the board.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 03:49:56 »

I completely agree with Elkrick who completely agrees with me on Hypersphere being Criminally Overpriced, and Ultimately sub-par in function compared to the Full- Silenced edition topre..

Cough... that said..   topre is C-tier ... rubber cup iz for n00bs..

Offline kconfire

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 15:14:39 »
Check pricing on Type-S on Amazon.com.
They're hovering just over $300, not that it's cheap.

All Topre keyboards are so expensive for what they are.
But I still love 'em. :thumb:
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00