Author Topic: Esquimo KeyCaps Development.  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Esquimo

Esquimo KeyCaps Development.
« on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 21:04:32 »
Hey there, as others have I've been lurking here for some time and reading and learning about moulding/casting, so thank you for sharing.

I've purchased a pressure pot from a company here in the UK knowing it was essential and started experimenting.

Like many other folks I have decided to give blanks a go first of all, specifically for a RAMA M10-A. I've played about with sculpting on keys but have nothing at a finished state yet, will keep this thread updated to showcase new work I'm happy with.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll attempt to answer the best I'm able.
-Esqui

« Last Edit: Tue, 30 May 2017, 10:07:35 by Esquimo »

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
Re: Esquimo KeyCaps - noobie keycap maker.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 13:10:47 »
Good luck dude.

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 18:22:38 »
Thanks Bambino, man this learning curve is pretty steep but an enjoyable journey with cool companions.  :thumb:

Offline Tally810

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 20:46:54 »
Good luck dude wish ya the best

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 12:06:08 »
Thanks Tally, loving your profile pic, looking like the lost member from MGMT, in a good way obviously.  :thumb: Edit: Says the dude in the gimp mask.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 May 2017, 04:28:08 by Esquimo »

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 14:04:11 »
Just playing around with doubleshot and haven't managed to nail it to the standard I'm happy with as it needed to be sanded a little to get rid of the leak. I named this one KillBill01 for obvious reasons.

Looking forward to getting a synth once they are back in stock, fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 May 2017, 14:07:29 by Esquimo »

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 04:33:07 »
Have been playing around with a little colour theory and gradients to get a better understanding of the medium. Pretty much as expected, very similar to paint or light colour theory I'm used to, although the process is very different. It reminds me much more of ceramic glaze testing in terms of process, in the way the best methodology is to do tester pieces before committing to the formula for the finished piece.

And a shot of three gradient blanks on board with Tai-Hao Sunshine.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 May 2017, 13:58:01 by Esquimo »

Offline Esquimo

Re: Esquimo KeyCaps Development.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 15:32:49 »
Made a board of blanks mainly to improve my mould making and casting skills along with improving my typing skills, know I still have a long way to go in terms of technical ability although enjoying the design art artistic nature of the discipline. Hope to have something worthy of selling once am happy with whatever it is.

Got a synth recently also so have started sculpting with that, cheers Binge et al.

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 15:47:37 »
Made a board of blanks mainly to improve my mould making and casting skills along with improving my typing skills, know I still have a long way to go in terms of technical ability although enjoying the design art artistic nature of the discipline. Hope to have something worthy of selling once am happy with whatever it is.

Got a synth recently also so have started sculpting with that, cheers Binge et al.

Show Image

Nice colors here!

Offline Heysakha

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 20:23:34 »
is that resin? how do you make it colour like that? Thats amazing!

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 10:05:02 »
Thanks for the kind words Heysakha, it is Polyurethane resin. The colour is added with pigment to part B of the chemical mix. There's a lot of information regarding the mould making and casting process in this section of Geekhack along with youtube tutorials and the usual google search info if you are wanting to find out more. One think I would state is that at the very minimum a pressure pot and compressor is needed, along with a hell of a lot of patience and trail and error.

Cheers OneNightFriend, I'm liking them a lot thankfully, although my typing as a hell of a lot worse atm, onwards and upwards hopefully. ;)

Edit: A better shot of them.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 July 2017, 15:24:56 by Esquimo »

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 10:09:02 »
Thanks for the kind words Heysakha, it is Polyurethane resin. The colour is added with pigment to part B of the chemical mix. There's a lot of information regarding the mould making and casting process in this section of Geekhack along with youtube tutorials and the usual google search info if you are wanting to find out more. One think I would state is that at the very minimum a pressure pot and compressor is needed, along with a hell of a lot of patience and trail and error.

Cheers OneNightFriend, I'm liking them a lot thankfully, although my typing as a hell of a lot worse atm, onwards and upwards hopefully. ;)
Considering how clean these look I am impressed with your patience! This is part of why I don't think I could ever get into casting. I don't think I'd ever have enough passion about it to master it!

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 21:38:07 »
These are gorgeous - great work.
c h e r