Author Topic: Tandem Computers Vintage Key Tronic Foam and Foil Switch Mod, USB Conversion  (Read 3888 times)

Offline OldIsNew

173749-0

This project was inspired by the fact that I thought this was a cool old board and I very much disliked the idea of having a board I could not actually use on my computer. Should you do this with your foam and foil?  Probably not. I did it because I wanted to use the board and also largely just for the heck of it to see if it would work - and it did.

I recently bought  a Tandem Computers terminal keyboard with vintage Key Tronic foam and foil switches. I like the look of the board and the keys actually feel pretty nice I think.  I have not found much on what protocol the board uses and it seemed unlikely that I was going to find a simple existing converter for it. The foam pads were in good shape  - so I decided to try modifying the switches from capacitive foam and foil to  foam and copper contacts and have a go at hand wiring it.  This was a "Lowe's Home Improvement Special" - used copper flashing to make switch contacts for a new "PCB" and for the contacts over the Mylar on the foam switch plungers. 14 AWG solid core wire for switch posts, an acrylic sheet for the "PCB".

And super glue.

I traced out the switch layout on the acrylic sheet (also from Lowe's) then cut out the "PCB" contact pads from the flashing. Drilled holes and used 14 AWG solid wire to make posts for the contacts,  used  a 7/16" punch for the copper flashing disks for the foam.

173751-1          173753-2

Super glued the flashing in place and then spent a lot of time testing and adjusting the switches and contact pads - a major pain in the a** -  but they work. Then a matter of soldering the
diodes, rows and columns and hooking up the Teensy. So far so good and I'm typing on the keyboard now.

173755-3          173757-4          173759-5

I cannot feel any noticeable difference in the switches after the mod -  and that was also a goal. Plan to wire the board's LEDs next. Why go though all this trouble?  I don't know - why not?

Offline pluplog

That looks great! Are you planning to use this as your main driver?
Kinesis Advantage | Kinesis Advantage Pro | Maltron L89 | Filco Minila

Offline OldIsNew

That looks great! Are you planning to use this as your main driver?

Thanks! Going to use it that way for a while anyway, then back to my F XT I think.

Offline PancakeMSTR

Do you have any better photos? I'm trying to understand what's going on with the wiring and having trouble. I need to do something similar to this soon.

Offline OldIsNew

Do you have any better photos? I'm trying to understand what's going on with the wiring and having trouble. I need to do something similar to this soon.

I have the cheapo cell phone camera, sorry  my pics aren't usually the best.  Here are some other pics I took of a test switch I made before launching into doing the board. These were kind of rough looking but it gives you the idea:

Contact side                                                                              Back
174597-0                   174599-1

Then just wired like any two contact switch matrix.  My rows were with diodes, the other post the columns
174601-2

I used disks punched from the copper flashing glued over the Mylar disks on the switches to bridge the copper contact pads on the board and complete the circuit when the switches are pressed.

174603-3

Offline PancakeMSTR

You're ****in nuts bro. Love it. I've never built a matrix before, can you pass some links my way?

Offline OldIsNew

You're ****in nuts bro. Love it. I've never built a matrix before, can you pass some links my way?

Lol, thanks! these are a few I used. I found the Brown Fox tutorial very helpful:

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/brownfox-step-by-step-t6050.html

A couple on matrix basics:

http://blog.komar.be/how-to-make-a-keyboard-the-matrix/

http://pcbheaven.com/wikipages/How_Key_Matrices_Works/

Offline PancakeMSTR

Awesome.