Author Topic: Does this plate work with the KBDFans75?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline zOlid

Does this plate work with the KBDFans75?
« on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 07:26:06 »
So im looking to build my own keyboard, with some nice silent mx blacks.
This will be my first, so im a bit new to the category. Sorry for that.
And i really like the Varmilo VA69M, but that one dont seem to come with a top plate where you can open up the top of the switch, to change springs and such, after you have soldered it together.
And i cant find a top plate that allows that, for the VA69M.
So i found the KBDfans75, and the kit for that dont seem to allow it either (at least not from what i can see on the pictures)
But i found this plate (that i think support that, right?), and i wonder if that fits the KBDfans75 keyboard?

Does anyone know?

Or do anyone know of a good TKL kit with aluminium case, ISO support, and the plate i need, that doesn't cost much more than the VA69M/KBDfans75?

Whats important for me is the Aluminium (or some alloy) case, ISO suport, preferably the F row of keys, and the page up/down/delete keys. And these are the ones ive found for a good price really.
So a TKL would be perfect really, but they seem hard to find for a good price and aluminium case/top switch opening support, without the price becoming really high.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: Does this plate work with the KBDFans75?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 08:02:36 »
Layout looks correct, but the mounting holes are in different places.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline zOlid

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 08:41:40 »
So, what will happen? I cant fix the plate to the pcb, but it will fit the case? Can i just drill out new mounting holes?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 09:01:13 »
In the kbd75, only the PCB is screwed to the case and there are holes in the plate to allow access to these screw holes. The holes in the plate you linked are not in the same place so you'd need to drill new holes which would be tricky to not damage the plate. Additionally, I can't say whether or not the overall plate size is the same. If the dimensions are too large, it won't physically fit in the case without filling off the sides. Personally I think switch top removal is overrated. Take the time to prep your switches as you like beforehand and you won't have a problem.
keyboards.

Offline zOlid

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 14:35:02 »
ah ok, thanks for the help!

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 00:18:37 »
You can always reverse-engineer the KBD75 plate and transfer the mounting holes into Inkscape, then use Swill's plate builder tool to generate a new plate, and merge the two designs together. Then have it cut by Lasergist or w/e, or Ponoko if you don't mind plastic (I recommend PETG; i prefer it over a metal plate).
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear