Author Topic: QWERTZ to QWERTY transformation HELP NEEDED  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Sparqq

QWERTZ to QWERTY transformation HELP NEEDED
« on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 15:22:34 »
Hi,
first of all
im sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Also this is a X-post i posted on corsair's forum.

I recently placed a order on a local website and after placing order i noticed that its a QWERTZ keyboard, but looking around they only have AZERTY keyboards and QWERTZ.

How hard would it be to change from QWERTZ to QWERTY

Will i be able to just change in my windows OS and replace couple of buttons.

Ive changed some buttons in photoshop.

So what i tought about,
cant i just order new buttons for the character buttons?
and change the OS (using MS Keyboard Layout Creator) for some buttons

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: QWERTZ to QWERTY transformation HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 15:40:37 »
Windows has no idea what the legends on your keyboard say.  If you tell Windows that you have a QWERTY keyboard, then it will act like a QWERTY keyboard.

Swapping the keycaps around to try and change a QWERTZ keyboard into a QWERTY keyboard probably won't work as well as you would like.  The keys have different contours for different rows, so if you move a keycap to a new row it won't be the right contour.

Just return it and get what you really want.

Offline Sparqq

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 17:35:35 »
yes i clearly understand that but can i swap some keys around for now untill i receive my new key caps and change those keys via MS Keyboard Layout Creator
With that tool i was able to achive stuff like this when im writing with my keyboard if you understand what i mean
so that issue aside, lets say i receive my new keycaps what issues will i be facing when swapping over?
Also like you said just bring it back and get a new one the one i want, i would have done that but they dont have that one anywhere available in belgium, in fact ive checkd multiple stores and they dont even have any corsair stuff aside from computer parts like ram or fans, refund you might say, they only refund in store credit wich is kind off a shame, but yeah i guess ill be fine with switching some buttons around with the new keycaps

Also, could you suggest some keycaps that would look good on a RGB keyboard where there is prefferably still the black on top (idc about the sides it would be nice to have them i guess but idc)
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 January 2018, 17:37:43 by Sparqq »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 04:31:02 »
so that issue aside, lets say i receive my new keycaps what issues will i be facing when swapping over?
None. As metalliqaz stated, keyboards don't send characters to the computer but they send scancodes that your operating system translates into characters according to the language you have set.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff