Author Topic: OXALYS 87 TKL Gasket Mount  (Read 5947 times)

Offline Nixytheria

• nix studio
    • Instagram
OXALYS 87 TKL Gasket Mount
« on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 08:54:54 »
"BIG UPDATE"

Hello, i want to show my personal projects that i started since 3 months ago. This is started when i wanna make an own custom keyboard. I do love a TKL layout, so i decide to make this one in a TKL layout. I have a KBD75 and wondering to have a TKL custom keyboard. This project is inspired by LZ-CLS, TGR Jane, Mech27, and Mira SE. So i want to make my own custom TKL keyboard.

Here's my first project of TKL keyboard. The specific information and some pictures will be listed below.

So the name is OXALYS

More images and renders: https://imgur.com/a/5XIu5

Changes
- Top mounted plate changes to Gasket mount
- All New Design (Bezels, Brass Weight, Plate

Need Assistant For
- CNC Milling Maker (with anodize if capable)
- PCB Maker (Should be support for NKRO and a87 TKL)
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:56:03 by Nixytheria »

Offline p_blaze

Re: OXALYS 87 TKL
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 15:11:51 »
This looks pretty nice, do you have more angles of it?
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 February 2018, 22:19:26 by p_blaze »

Offline Nixytheria

• nix studio
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 21:55:57 »
Other picture will be uploaded soon  ;D  Just stay tuned  :thumb:

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 00:16:05 »
Love the design. Is the diffuser optional? I hope so!

My only suggestion would be to move the logo to the usb side, just to make the face look clean.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 February 2018, 00:22:58 by Unforgivable »

Offline Nixytheria

• nix studio
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 05:45:36 »
Love the design. Is the diffuser optional? I hope so!

My only suggestion would be to move the logo to the usb side, just to make the face look clean.

Hello,... It's glad you love my design. For the diffuser i'll make it optional. So people have an option for it. And maybe there's a change for the logo if many people don't like it. Thanks for your advice  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 February 2018, 05:47:21 by Nixytheria »

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 16:30:54 »
I like the design, but I maybe it could be less derivative of the Mira. You should add a nameplate like the Mars 8.0 but with an rgb diffuser instead or make the underside stepped outward. Just food for thought though.

Offline Nixytheria

• nix studio
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 11:15:47 »
I like the design, but I maybe it could be less derivative of the Mira. You should add a nameplate like the Mars 8.0 but with an rgb diffuser instead or make the underside stepped outward. Just food for thought though.

Hello, TBH this design is referenced by KBD75 ... i know slightly it looks like Mira, maybe there will be a changed if it necessary. For the RGB nameplate i don't know what pcb could support that.
Thanks for your advice  ;D

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 16:00:04 »
Both QMK and ps2avrGB support RGB leds. You just need to put the leds under the nameplate.

As a guy who failed twice on the designing, here're some suggestions/opinions.

Your design looks good but not excellent to me. It's too similar to many other boards tbh. In a market so saturated with 60% and 80% boards, you really need more features to make your design stands out. I can't say I was doing very well but there're several features I have considered and might be helpful to you as well: 1) integrated plate (e.g. tokyo60), 2) new (and good looking) colors, 3) mao, powder coating, and other surface finishes, 4) Kailh hot swappable PCB, 5) thick and heavy, 6) DETAILS

Hope these will help you and good luck.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 16:42:52 »
Both QMK and ps2avrGB support RGB leds. You just need to put the leds under the nameplate.

Your design looks good but not excellent to me. It's too similar to many other boards tbh. In a market so saturated with 60% and 80% boards, you really need more features to make your design stands out. I can't say I was doing very well but there're several features I have considered and might be helpful to you as well: 1) integrated plate (e.g. tokyo60), 2) new (and good looking) colors, 3) mao, powder coating, and other surface finishes, 4) Kailh hot swappable PCB, 5) thick and heavy, 6) DETAILS

+1, couldn't say it any better. Bigger bezels is also something I'd like to toss out there.

Offline Nixytheria

• nix studio
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 21:04:47 »

+1, couldn't say it any better. Bigger bezels is also something I'd like to toss out there.

Hello, i really appreciate your suggestion for this project
For the diffusser on the name plate (on the top) i don't know what pcb can support for this,
- i think i want to remove the Oxalys letter to make the top clean.
- From many request, i will remove the diffuser for underglow and make it solid without the diffuser
- For integrated plate, it's out of my plan. Because considering the plate material that i want to use is Brass, to support the switch for creating best typing feeling
- For the Colors, This is just design, the variant will be posted below
- For the Thick which means bigger bezels i don't know how to do it depending for the usb hole. For the weight it would be heavy enough regarding use the brass plate and the Thick Brass Weight.
- For the details could you explain what the details are you refers to?

I'm very thankyou guys to all of you for giving me advices to improve my project

This would be the color option (Anodize)
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 February 2018, 21:07:48 by Nixytheria »

Offline Nixytheria

• nix studio
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 21:08:08 »
Aluminium Anodize color list
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 February 2018, 21:09:40 by Nixytheria »

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 21:27:38 »

Hello, i really appreciate your suggestion for this project
For the diffusser on the name plate (on the top) i don't know what pcb can support for this,
- i think i want to remove the Oxalys letter to make the top clean.
- From many request, i will remove the diffuser for underglow and make it solid without the diffuser
- For integrated plate, it's out of my plan. Because considering the plate material that i want to use is Brass, to support the switch for creating best typing feeling
- For the Colors, This is just design, the variant will be posted below
- For the Thick which means bigger bezels i don't know how to do it depending for the usb hole. For the weight it would be heavy enough regarding use the brass plate and the Thick Brass Weight.
- For the details could you explain what the details are you refers to?

I'm very thankyou guys to all of you for giving me advices to improve my project

This would be the color option (Anodize)
Show Image

Don't take out the diffuser! just make an aluminum insert that people can choose which they want to keep. If the PCB uses QMK for example you can just configure and LED strip under the nameplate, it's not too difficult. I'm sure someone will be able to elaborate more, I just hope this project doesn't end up bland like all the keyboards the market is already saturated in. We need something with more attitude and finesse, not something plain.

Offline Nixytheria

• nix studio
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 21:42:41 »

Don't take out the diffuser! just make an aluminum insert that people can choose which they want to keep. If the PCB uses QMK for example you can just configure and LED strip under the nameplate, it's not too difficult. I'm sure someone will be able to elaborate more, I just hope this project doesn't end up bland like all the keyboards the market is already saturated in. We need something with more attitude and finesse, not something plain.
[/quote]

Okay, so the diffuser will be optional. I used to use Gasket mount like the Keycult no. 1 . But this is my first design and i'm not sure to do a lot of things. I will try to make a unique change. So how about the bottom case design? it refers to KBD75 i think it's good if it's on the 80% Size

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 21:52:21 »

Okay, so the diffuser will be optional. I used to use Gasket mount like the Keycult no. 1 . But this is my first design and i'm not sure to do a lot of things. I will try to make a unique change. So how about the bottom case design? it refers to KBD75 i think it's good if it's on the 80% Size
[/quote]

Stepped bezel is an idea, but I don't think it's a very good one. Hopefully someone else can help here.

Offline Nixytheria

• nix studio
    • Instagram
Re: OXALYS 87 TKL Gasket Mount
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:58:55 »
New Update

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 09:18:08 »
Those bezels :eyes: perfect. It really stands out from the other boards now.
Dunno if you want to add a diffuser, but it's a thought.
If you need a manufacturer, maybe yuktsi can help you find one, as he is in the SEA as well, and is helping catweewee with the Singa.
Overall, you have a really solid looking design now, and I hope this goes well!

Offline Nixytheria

• nix studio
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 19:23:47 »
If you need a manufacturer, maybe yuktsi can help you find one, as he is in the SEA as well, and is helping catweewee with the Singa.
I used to wanna add a diffuser. But considering to the gasket mount. I'm not your it can fits well with it

Sent from my SM-N915F using Tapatalk

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 19:48:52 »
I used to wanna add a diffuser. But considering to the gasket mount. I'm not your it can fits well with it

Yeah, that's a good point. The sides feel a little empty, maybe a larger and more styled cutout and aluminum inserts to fit inside them would be cool to give it a bit of color but still look solid.

Offline Nixytheria

• nix studio
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 21:51:37 »

Yeah, that's a good point. The sides feel a little empty, maybe a larger and more styled cutout and aluminum inserts to fit inside them would be cool to give it a bit of color but still look solid.
Sorry i mean i'm not sure to add a diffuser on it. Because of the gasket mount, there's no room to add a diffuser

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 21:57:09 »

Sorry i mean i'm not sure to add a diffuser on it. Because of the gasket mount, there's no room to add a diffuser

Yep. I didn't make it clear, but what I'm saying is not about a diffuser or middle case, but about side accents. In my opinion (and by no means am I a credible source by myself), the sides of the board look small and recessed, and inconsistent with the otherwise very solid and chiseled look of the the rest of it. As such, I think it would be more in line with the look of the board to increase the size of the side cutout or fill it with an aluminum accent insert. That way it can be more unique and still maintain the smooth, solid look.

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 19:02:25 »
The new design looks much better than before. I would consider buying one if I'm not doing some similar projects by myself.

The bezel looks nice but I suggest you to ask around on Reddit or MechKeys. The main concern is the bezel is similar to Fjell. To me, it's totally fine since it's a simple design and no one has a copyright on it. However there are a lot of crazy people out there. They will call you copycat if they believe you copied some ones' design, even you didn't know the keyboards they declare you copied. Just one or two such people will drive you crazy. That happened to me before so I hope it won't happen again on you.

Offline Nixytheria

• nix studio
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 20:25:30 »
The new design looks much better than before. I would consider buying one if I'm not doing some similar projects by myself.

The bezel looks nice but I suggest you to ask around on Reddit or MechKeys. The main concern is the bezel is similar to Fjell. To me, it's totally fine since it's a simple design and no one has a copyright on it. However there are a lot of crazy people out there. They will call you copycat if they believe you copied some ones' design, even you didn't know the keyboards they declare you copied. Just one or two such people will drive you crazy. That happened to me before so I hope it won't happen again on you.
Thanks for your advice. So to make it different, i make a different side and different mount. If some one told me it's same with fjell, i will tell them, mine have a duct on those sides. Thanks. And goodluck for your project