Author Topic: Howdy from Virginia  (Read 1502 times)

Offline DeltaCharlie45

Howdy from Virginia
« on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 03:56:07 »
How's it going ladies and gents?

Just starting to get my feet wet with keyboards. Currently using a DZ60 with outemu ice clears and waiting on some SA-P snow cap keycaps from signature plastics. Looking forward to trying new switches and everything else!

Offline Maledicted

Re: Howdy from Virginia
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 16:14:52 »
Hi DeltaCharlie45. Welcome to Geekhack.

I have a DZ60 coming myself, if the apocalypse ever allows its eventual delivery. Those caps look awesome.

What switches have you tried? Which do you like? Tactile guy?

Offline DeltaCharlie45

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 18:47:23 »
Hope it comes soon! It took me a little over 2 months for delivery. Still getting used to the pcb. I didn't realize how much I used the arrow keys. I may have to make some changes to the layout on QMK.

I have a few switch testers, but I feel like I can't get the full experience from those. I've tried MX blues, box browns, box jades and outemu ice clears on a full board. I still haven't found "the one", but so far my favorite is the box jade. My shortlist for switches to try are the novelkeys creams and c3 tangerines for linear and zealios 67g and halo clears for tactile. I really prefer clicky switches, but unfortunately I need something quiet for work. What are some of your favorite switches for linear and tactile?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 20:23:56 »
Hope it comes soon! It took me a little over 2 months for delivery. Still getting used to the pcb. I didn't realize how much I used the arrow keys. I may have to make some changes to the layout on QMK.

I have a few switch testers, but I feel like I can't get the full experience from those. I've tried MX blues, box browns, box jades and outemu ice clears on a full board. I still haven't found "the one", but so far my favorite is the box jade. My shortlist for switches to try are the novelkeys creams and c3 tangerines for linear and zealios 67g and halo clears for tactile. I really prefer clicky switches, but unfortunately I need something quiet for work. What are some of your favorite switches for linear and tactile?

Dedicated arrow keys are actually why I bought the DZ60. You can configure it to have dedicated arrow keys if you solder the switches right and have the right kind of plate.

If you like the jades, you might want to also try other switches in the family, like navies (although those are pretty stiff, they sound and feel wonderful). I still need to try box pinks myself. All of the box linears and tactiles are better than MX if you ask me, although MX clears aren't bad. Gateron's tactiles and linears are also all good, of the ones I have tried. Geekmaker and Everglides are probably the smoothest modern linears and tactiles that I have felt, but I haven't felt any of the fancy boutique switches like zealios, Gateron inks, holy pandas, tangerines, alpacas, NK creams, NK blueberries, etc. The most tactile tactiles I have felt are box royals and MX clears.

I may go with box reds, or Gateron yellows at some point as an upgrade to my gaming rig's K70 eventually, since the box reds have increased dust and water protection (I rarely clean that board) and the Gateron yellows are a nice balance in weight between reds and blacks for linears. Still possibly considering the boutique switches too, if I ever get my hands on enough of them to make an informed opinion, and/or dampened switches.

My favorite linear and tactile switches overall are probably all complicated Alps switches from the 1980s. I'm not a linear or tactile guy though, myself.

My favorite clicky switches are mostly vintage, being IBM's capacitive buckling spring, SKCM blue Alps, NEC blue ovals, etc. The box clickies follow closely behind SKCM Alps and capacitive buckling spring in my rankings. I'm typing at this moment on a Matias "tactile" keyboard, which is actually a clicky descendant of SKCM Alps, and would say that it is easily competes with the rest as well.