Author Topic: Salut from Ottawa  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Malcoffee

Salut from Ottawa
« on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 08:44:04 »
Probably like tons of other people, I am now working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. I wasn’t able to bring a lot of stuff with me from the office and work offered to buy me a keyboard. I doubt I had ever given a keyboard more than a second’s thought in my life before so I decided to do some research online and now I’m fully down the rabbit hole.

Of course everyone else is also doing this and it’s hard to find something entry-level but decent and in stock. Because I want something right away and that’s not possible. I’ve decided to spend some of my own money to get something that is out of budget from work. I’ve got an order for a ducky 2 sf that looks like it may ship in July. The other alternative is an Drop Alt that would ship around the same time. Open to suggestions. I just type - all day long - not into games at all.

Longer term I have started looking at ICs and GBs in case I get addicted and want to invest more time and money but that’s not going to help me this summer.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: Salut from Ottawa
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 12:52:18 »
Welcome :)

Topre switches might be something to look into :cool:
Some say they're not for gaming which is okay since you're not doing much of that, you can use it for gaming if you're not bad though.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Maledicted

Re: Salut from Ottawa
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:14:56 »
Hi Malcoffee. Welcome to Geekhack.

What kind of coffee have you been drinking? I've got some cheap Torke at work, because it was free. It doesn't come out too bad in a French press. Been drinking some sort of butterscotch rum highlander grog at home.

Have you tried any mechanical switches before? If you haven't tried a good number of them and formed an opinion on what types you may like yet, you may want to try to get a tester first. KPreublic has a 130 switch tester that covers most of the usual OEM ones, and some others, and is a decent value for your money. It make take some time to get to you though if you did order it.

I think Amazon has some testers that may come quicker, but they're usually far from comprehensive. I would get a tester that at least covers some common linear, tactile, and clicky switches though, as that should help you feel out your general preferences for feel and sound.

Then I would worry about more keyboards after that.