Author Topic: [IC] GMK Soyamilk | IV Works Av3x Soyamilk Announced! - GB Date October 1, 2021  (Read 89783 times)

Offline STUDIOBLB

GMK SOYAMILK

A refreshing set that’s straight out of your childhood lunch box and afternoon snacks. A heartfelt homage to the soyamilk that we grew up with and remember fondly.
We drew inspiration from a vintage soyamilk drink box from an era long before our time, hoping to provide a throwback aesthetic that resonates with our childhood.

GROUP BUY PAGE IS HERE!

SOYAMILK FOR CHARITY
Because GMK Soyamilk is a food-themed keycap set, inspired by a drink that raised us, we want to use this opportunity and platform to pay back to our heritage, particularly to the elderly in the Asian American community that shaped us into who we are.

As a design team, we are pledging to donate a percentage of our profits towards the charity Heart of Dinner, which has a goal of “nourishing NYC’s East Asian elders with love and food every week”.
Proof of donation will be provided for posterity after the group buy.
If this is a cause that resonates with you, please consider supporting the project or donating towards the charity!

GROUP BUY INFO
We are incredibly excited to finally announce that GMK Soyamilk will be going to group buy on October 1st, 2021! We will be working with CannonKeys as our lead vendor.

VENDORS
Soyamilk fans around the world rejoice! We have a few vendors for you, and we are so excited to work with all of them on this project!

United States: CannonKeys
Canada: Mech.Land
Europe: myKeyboard.eu
United Kingdom: Proto[Typist]
Oceania: Daily Clack
China: zFrontier
East Asia: Kibou
Korea: Swagkeys
South East Asia: Monokei

KITS AND PRICING

Basekit - 'the classic' - $131*

*Pricing based on prior GMK quote without R1 End and Pg Dn, subject to change

Novelties - 'hudson store' - $52

Latin Alphas - 'less sugar' - $50

Because of our shared Asian roots in this project, we feel strongly about having Cangjie sublegends in our basekit.

Accent Kit - 'extra straws' - $30

Extensions Kit - ‘snack pack’ - $33

RENDERS

More

U80a by Rama Works, render by Entity.

U80a by Rama Works

Harbour —港口 by Kibou, render by Chung

Haus by Hand Engineering

KBD8X MKII by KBDFans

Ikki68 Aurora by Wuque Studios

COLOURS

More
Here is the colour palette that we chose for the set. We decided to limit custom colours to only the blue and the beige, leaving the white and red as GMK stock colours.

We picked RAL 260 50 25 and 1015 respectively after colour matching to inspiration material.

Check out some colour comparisons with other sets that use blues and beiges:

COLLABS

More
We are excited to share the artisan keycaps that we will have available for this set!

HIBI x Soyamilk artisan keycap:

Monokei x Soyamilk artisan keycap:

RNCables x Soyamilk artisan cables:

Product Render

Product Render

Prototype Photo

Prototype Photo

RNCables x Soyamilk artisan keycaps:

Check out that straw on the prototype!

IV Works: Av3x Soyamilk

We are pleased to announce our collaboration with IV Works for the release of GMK Soyamilk!
Features of the board will include:
Cream acrylic case
3D milled Soyamilk bottle cap badge
Stainless steel full case bottom
8 degree case angle
Anodized aluminum leaf-spring plate
Isolated plate mount with poron gaskets
Stainless steel hardware
Hot swap PCB with underglow RGB
USB Type C
VIA Compatible
Made in USA

These will be produced in a limited quantity, to be announced later.
Please join the IV Works Discord Server for updates and announcements!

Some of you may remember that our IC had a collaboration with RAMA WORKS.
Unfortunately, this endeavor is no longer viable.

DESKMATS

More
Slice of Home Deskmat

Milk Carton Deskmat, designed by retainerbox

CHANGE LOG

More
All of our international vendors have been confirmed!

Updated kitting released! You guys sure filled out a lot of IC forms, and we did our best to accommodate!

-Basekit now has better ISO support, F13, and full Alice and Arisu compatibility.
-ISO users get novelties too!
-Small keyboards don’t have to get left out, please give us feedback on our Extensions Kit if you really need it!
-Quite a few of you asked for Latin alphas, and we are pleased to unveil the Latin Alphas kit.
We still stand by our choice to leave Cangjie sublegends as the default alphas in our basekit, as it stays true to our chosen theme and our personal heritage.

Please be sure to fill out our NEW IC form so we can gather your feedback on our new kitting!

Big thanks to Entity. for whipping up some awesome renders!

Minor changes to kitting
-Changed 2.5u spacebar in the 40s kit to be an additional 2.0u spacebar

Colour update!
-We have chosen a new blue for the kit to more closely match the shade of blue that you can see in the old kit renders
-Blue is now RAL 260 50 25 instead of RAL 5023
-While working on our other renders, we noticed that the shades of our colours were not matching the vision we had from our original kits, so we have adjusted the blue to better fit our preferences
-Check out our new kit renders and let us know how you feel!

Collab reveals! We are thrilled to announce that we are going to have metal artisans available for group buy.
Check out our RAMA Works and Monokei artisan keycaps!
Additionally, we are very excited to be working with RNCables on a Soyamilk themed custom paracorded USB cable!

Minor kitting update: We removed the arrows from the numpad because we felt that they were extraneous and took away from the clean minimal aesthetic that we prefer.

We’ve been saying “Coming Soon TM” for the last few months, but this time we mean it!
Deskmats are finally here!
We are so excited to present our two designs: Slice of Home and Milk Carton.
Slice of Home was inspired by the memories evoked by the Tong Lau buildings of Hong Kong, a style of housing that combined residential and commercial spaces into a vibrant and tight knit community.
The Milk Carton mat was of course inspired by our favourite flavours and varieties of Soyamilk, and was designed by our good friend retainerbox! A massive thank you to them for their time and creative expertise.
Check out their other work at their Instagram page!

The announcement that you’ve all been waiting for! A confirmed group buy date!
GMK Soyamilk will be going to group buy on October 1, 2021. Mark it in your calendars!
We have been blown away at how much support we have gotten for this project, and we are so excited to see it come to fruition.

A big thank you to everyone who has filled out our IC form too! Thanks to your feedback, we have decided to run our Extensions Kit, aka the snack pack!

A condensed kit pricing breakdown is as follows:
Base Kit - $131
Novelties Kit - $52
Latin Alphas Kit - $50
Accent Kit - $30
Extensions Kit - $33

Soyamilk For Charity!
This update means a lot to us. From the start of the project, we wanted to find some way to give back to the community that raised and shaped us into who we are today.
We have decided that the way we want to show this is to donate a percentage of the profits we receive as designers to a charity that we believe strongly in: Heart of Dinner.
This organization aims to provide and deliver necessary pantry and food items to East Asian elders in the NYC area.
If this is a cause that resonates with you, please consider supporting the project or donating to the charity!

Sneaky Kitting Update:
We added in R1 End and Pg Dn for 1800 compatibility.
Updated kit pricing is subject to change, pending new quote.
The change is not expected to be major, as we are only adding two 1u keys.

More collabs??
We are incredibly excited to be working with Joe from IV Works on this collaboration project.
We are all huge fans of the Av3 keyboard, and to be able to work with him on this one is incredible.

Also RN Cables surprised us by coming up with an incredible juice box artisan for us!
The details on it are exquisite.They will be available for purchase alongside the cables.

Added additional render images to the IC page of the set on keyboards that weren't beige/soya coloured.
Sorry to neglect all the other colours for so long, we just got a little caught up in the whole theme!
Hope that these new images give a better idea of how the set will look on your keyboard!
Also the IC page was getting a little lengthy, so formatting has been added to streamline the post.

TO DO LIST
-Count sleeps until the GB!

CONTACT
Please fill out our NEW IC form!
Do you make artisans and want to do a collab? Please give us a shout at studioblb.co@gmail.com
Join us on Discord!

SPECIAL THANKS
NintendoNoNo
Kriegar
IV Works
m1w
ImperfectLink
Chung
Break
Entity.
retainerbox

And a massive thank you to grundlemere for pioneering the Cangjie sublegends for the keyboard community!
As designers of Chinese heritage, we can't express enough gratitude and appreciation for bringing this part of our culture to the hobby.

You can support this project by adding the following BB code to your signature! Thanks!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112723.0][img width=248 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/BQ0UmKo.jpg[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Fri, 01 October 2021, 06:56:55 by STUDIOBLB »

Offline CoinStorm

Re: [IC] GMK Soyamilk
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 16:53:23 »
looking amazing! cant wait!

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 16:54:23 »
Like it!

Offline apexshikari

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 16:58:18 »
Perfecto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 16:59:09 »
Looks good! The colorscheme is quite calming. I wish gmk production times were better I have a keeb incoming that'd look good with this set!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline retainerbox

• meow
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:06:51 »
Cute!! Possibility for a soy bean novelty? Disregard, I am blind apparently. :D Any 40% kits in the plans??

ErgoDox/Magic Girl, AVA/Islander,  ALU68/Godspeed, VOID40/Dark Magic Girl

Offline kinyth

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:11:35 »
like it! filled out the IC!
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:22:29 by kinyth »

Offline kriegar

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:17:44 »
Now I have to go to H-Mart or something and get some soyamilk.

Offline Afresh

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:27:28 »
Reminds me of epbt origami and I like it  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:32:53 by Afresh »

Offline Klonndor

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:33:27 »
"Because of our shared Asian roots in this projectweebs giving us money, we feel strongly about having Cangjie sublegends in our basekit."

FTFY

Canjie legends are chinese characters
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:43:58 by Klonndor »

Offline convoliution

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:34:13 »
Love the colors! Very evocative of the theme.

If this Cangjie train keeps picking up steam (and I hope it does), we're gonna need a new term to affectionately sit beside "weeb" and "Koreaboo".

Offline ZongZiWang

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:34:14 »
Love the sublengends!

Also in case of split spacebars, is it possible to include two alpha color Alice spacebars in the base kit?
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 May 2021, 20:07:14 by ZongZiWang »

Offline ambulated

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:35:21 »
The colors are great and the novelties are done so well--looking forward to seeing more :)

Offline jollyeskimo

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 17:53:35 »
Love the Vitasoy nostalgia on the novelties

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 18:06:17 »
Cute. Would love to see 3-key 40s support in base

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 19:29:51 »
you know, i thought that it was a combination of the rama keyboard colors. glwic.
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 19:51:39 »
"Because of our shared Asian roots in this projectweebs giving us money, we feel strongly about having Cangjie sublegends in our basekit."

FTFY

Canjie legends are chinese characters

Sealed in history, nicely done lol

@OP - Personally I prefer alpha-colored spacebars and I think some others also probably follow, since it's the default. For spacebars kit, will regular-colored spacebars be avail?

Offline 8idl

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 19:52:21 »
Love the inspiration for this set - hits me right in the feels...and I have to ask - does the BLB stand for pineapple bun?

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 20:16:39 »
Finally some good looking clever novelties that aren’t just boring line art. I really appreciate the effort.

Edit: yeah the space bar kit should have alpha coloured splits. I wouldn’t bother putting more than one 6U bar in it though. Just one white one.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 May 2021, 20:29:15 by jagger27 »

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 20:53:25 »
1. Is the R4 branch novelty design supposed to be of dry soy? If so, that's not really what it looks like from what I can tell. If it's wheat, then the design makes a bit more sense.

2. Doing just one form of Cangjie (simplified vs traditional) has some unfortunate and deep political implications, you sort of have to run both to not come off like a ****. Or offer the necessary interchangeable keys for each style in one base kit.

Offline convoliution

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 21:34:52 »
Doing just one form of Cangjie (simplified vs traditional) has some unfortunate and deep political implications, you sort of have to run both to not come off like a ****. Or offer the necessary interchangeable keys for each style in one base kit.

I hope to not overstep anything here, but as a counterpoint: Based on the clear visual inspiration from Vitasoy, I think (emphasis on "think") it's acceptable to focus on sublegends bearing the official script of where that company is located.

That said, I agree it would be nice to offer interchangeable keys for those who would prefer it.

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 22:00:14 »
This is a really nice set with some awesome themed novelties! If I didn't have Fuyu, I would definitely cop. I might cave for the novelties...
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 23:20:14 »
Yes yes yes. Please and thanks lol

Offline STUDIOBLB

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 23:33:34 »
Doing just one form of Cangjie (simplified vs traditional) has some unfortunate and deep political implications, you sort of have to run both to not come off like a ****. Or offer the necessary interchangeable keys for each style in one base kit.

We elected to only have Cangjie on the alphas to be as versatile and inclusive as possible, while paying homage to our own heritage. Since these keys are the same for both traditional and simplified, we thought that it would eliminate the need for multiple kits.

Additionally, just to clarify for some other comments/feedback, Cangjie is used for Chinese, and Hirigana is for Japanese, they are not the same language.

Offline datAintFalc0

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 23:47:28 »
LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 23:56:14 »
cute cute

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 00:01:18 »

FTFY

how is cangjie weeb? y'all complaining about weeb sets but cant differentiate the difference between sublengends lmao. what a joke

Offline Krolyk

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 00:27:30 »
This is amazing I'm sold!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Offline Cowmovie4

• hollow keyboard haver
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 01:08:07 »
Damn, the Keep Refrigerated enters, the overall theme, the creamy color with blue legends? This set is hot, and now you've got me considering looking for a board to match it! Good Luck! Hope to see this reach GB and MOQ!
u/TheFourthCow - formerly TheFourthCow on geekhack... until I locked myself out.

Designer of the Funky40 - IC TBD
Working on a new board! IC inbound?
https://i.imgur.com/5GVY8I5.jpg

Offline Litch0617

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 01:20:08 »
latin alpha plz

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 01:40:30 »
Wouldn't mind seeing this set as ePBT. Colors are spot on.

Offline Afresh

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 01:42:51 »
how is cangjie weeb? y'all complaining about weeb sets but cant differentiate the difference between sublengends lmao. what a joke

Too bad someone who quoted me, didn't use all of it, with "obvious /s" at the end. I'll restrain my usage of sarcasm.

Offline vocal118

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 02:54:13 »
LATIN BASE,PLS

Offline ghostwriter

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 04:28:51 »
It is awsome!!!
Latin base please!!!
However, there are likes and dislikes depending on the Sublegends.
Consider more people's tastes.
I'm rooting for you.

Offline kiwoli

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 04:36:45 »
Instant cop.

Malt flavour in round 2 please.

Offline chung

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 05:07:27 »
nice vita soy <3

Offline scribblingdays

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 07:42:15 »

Too bad someone who quoted me, didn't use all of it, with "obvious /s" at the end. I'll restrain my usage of sarcasm.

Sorry, I don't mean to intrude, but I saw the comment too and I kept a record of it because it was kinda offensive; and I see that you have changed it now. But, here was the original comment, it definitely did not have 'sarcasm' in it.

https://imgur.com/a/p8yFxcJ
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 07:45:29 by scribblingdays »

Offline shirokori

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 07:44:17 »
I consume way too much of these when it was lunchtime. Definitely interested!

Offline ectoplasmatic

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 08:14:40 »
definitely. soy me up.

Offline see

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 08:55:13 »
Some questions about kitting:

- ne f13
- why are there arrows in your spacebar kit? shouldn't accent be in base?

other than that, the kits looks solid and i love vitasoy. good set.

Offline retainerbox

• meow
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 09:42:07 »
Now that I've had a day to actually take it in/think about it, my 2 cents.

I'd also love a latin set with no sublegends. And maybe alternative spacebars accent in red? Also would like to see the kits more broken up in general to reduce pricing - no number kit in base in particular.  I'd love even more options in the novelties kit, maybe a brown novelty for the malted flavour. I agree with some of the other comment, a bit odd to have the arrows in the spacebar kit. :)

ErgoDox/Magic Girl, AVA/Islander,  ALU68/Godspeed, VOID40/Dark Magic Girl

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 09:50:22 »
Slight resemblance of GMK Birch in renders. Iso support seems off... 1u SB would be nice for proper 3-1-3 support, pls label kit renders as well. Hard to tell sizes in spacebar kit.
Glwic!

Offline summerqm

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 10:31:52 »
What a nostalgia set and the cream color is so refreshing <3

I've submitted a response to the IC form but just want to chime in with my two cents here:
- The blue on vitasoy is a darker blue (just grabbed one from the pantry and checked), so while the lighter blue is very aesthetically pleasing, it doesn't hit me hard with the nostalgia So I originally typed this (and entered my IC form with this) and after digging up some other pictures for reference, I also realized there's a less sugar version that comes with the lighter blue color, so now I am torn lol..
- The novelty designs are A++++++, great job on those!!
- I am a bit sad that this is a GMK set (higher price point, longer wait time), was hoping maybe other manufacturers can bring this set to life faster (and cheaper)
- I really love the cream colored keys with blue legend on the mods (and thank you for icon mods <3), would love to see an alt alpha (maybe latin based) with cream keys and blue legend to match mods.

Also this is a long shot but I am saying it out loud anyways -- I LOVE all Vitasoy flavors!! It would be super cool if there could be a bunch of 1u keys with different flavors, like a light brown/dark brown one for malt, lavender/brown for coconut, beige/brown for chocolate, black/grey for black soy, light green/dark green for melon -- inspiration: https://imgur.com/a/TRUdHq4 -- yes, this will make a very expensive novelty set if done with GMK (so hopefully other manus can be considered?)...

Offline antsinyourpants

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 10:53:19 »
Ahhhh the Hong Konger in me is screaming a little inside. If I don't get in on this I don't think I could call myself one anymore.

Offline antsinyourpants

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 11:01:12 »

I hope to not overstep anything here, but as a counterpoint: Based on the clear visual inspiration from Vitasoy, I think (emphasis on "think") it's acceptable to focus on sublegends bearing the official script of where that company is located.

That said, I agree it would be nice to offer interchangeable keys for those who would prefer it.

Well said! Not everything has to be political, it just goes with the theme of the set.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 11:04:59 by antsinyourpants »

Offline El_Jackador

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 11:02:31 »
Its like a nice tasty bento :)

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 11:07:49 »
Love at first sight!

Offline PradyXT

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 11:08:27 »
I love the novelties! Can't wait to see the deskmat designs.

Offline P103

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 11:11:00 »
Really love the concept but please include F13 in the base kit.

Offline pocketfresh

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 11:13:13 »
The colorway of this set is incredible to me.  The novelties are great.

I'm just an Ohio boy and so I don't have a nostalgic connection to soyamilk from my childhood and even my conversion away from dairy didn't involve that much of it either.  That being said I am an oatmilk (and alt-milk) boy and this colorway feels a lot like the modern oatmilk branding that I'm familiar with (Oatly, Califia Barista blend both are cream colored and have light blue branding).

Latin alphas fit better in my specific case, as well as some other American alt-milkers who don't have a connection from childhood, and as such would maybe be worth offering as an add-on alphas kit.  Priority should definitely go to your design intention.  Keeping keycap designs personal is the way to do it, imo, and for that reason I love this design as a whole.