Author Topic: Hi From TN  (Read 1408 times)

Offline tjcertified

Hi From TN
« on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 21:22:33 »
Hello all,

I am a keyboard enthusiast from Tennessee. I have tried 5 keyboard, and am currently in possession of two. I haven't really strayed into custom keycaps yet, but that is about to change. I began with a Monoprice MX-Blue, a cheap entry point, and loved it. I sold that one to a friend and tried the CODE Keyboard by WASD with Mx Clear switches. I enjoyed it, and still have it, but am looking to sell soon. When I saw the Corsair RGB K70 came out, I grabbed one with Mx Browns, but I own a Mac, and the lighting program didn't work at all, so that one was a bust. I sold it and went back to the CODE. Recently, after reading more about Topre switches, I had to try one. My wife had finally forgiven me for the prior keyboard purchases, so I felt it was about time to tick her off again. I tried the HHKB Pro 2. LOOOVED the switch feel, but the format ultimately didn't match my needs. Turns out I really like my arrow keys. I have been learning to use the top row for numbers, though, and decided I could go TKL, so a few days ago, I purchased the NovaTouch TKL. I like it, but the feel isn't quite the same as typing on the HHKB. I will probably keep it for a bit and see if it grows on me, but it honestly feels a bit spongy. That's where I am now though. I have also tried the IBM Model M as a buddy of mine from a previous employer had several, but he wasn't willing to part with it. So far, Topre is by far my favorite.

A bit long, I know, but I wanted to give my history. Nice to be a part of the group.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: Hi From TN
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 21:42:35 »
Welcome. :)

You have quite the history for someone with their first post! It is always good to have and idea on what you like and don't like. I myself have never tried true Topre. I do have a Noppoo clone, which I don't particularly care to type on. People really seem to love the HHKBs and the Realforce boards. Perphas Realforce is something that would fit your Torpe love and alievate the issues with the Novatouch.

I also started with a CODE w/ Clears and a few boards with MX Blues. I loved them Blues, but the loudness in the office was probably a bit too much. I switched to Gateron linears and I love those. There are so many switch choices it can be overwhelming sometimes.  :-\
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 21:55:48 »
There are so many switch choices it can be overwhelming sometimes.  :-\

Not if you know what choice works for you.
*wink*

Offline tjcertified

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 22:38:58 »
There are so many switch choices it can be overwhelming sometimes.  :-\

Not if you know what choice works for you.
*wink*
Exactly! I really enjoyed the switches on the HHKB. I went back to the Mx Clears and immediately switched back until I got the NovaTouch. It looks like Topre is the future for me. I hate that there aren't as many key cap options for it, but the NovaTouch kind of fixes that.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 01:27:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack! Another Topre lover! One of us:)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 02:50:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You are trying a variety of keyboards - that's excellent!

For many this is difficult, if now downright impossible, and some people spend years searching for their ideal keyboard.  Others find their perfect keyboard on their first purchase (or perhaps like their first keyboard enough that they don't even want to try another one).

But trying as many different switches and keyboards as possible will allow you to either narrow down your selection, or to collect just the keyboards that you like.

I have liked almost every keyboard I have, and so far kept all of them.  I rotate between them quite often, at work too, and the change in switch and layout can be refreshing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ