Author Topic: Model M for the Modern Age  (Read 6912 times)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Model M for the Modern Age
« on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 04:55:57 »
In the past, the Model M was the standard for a high quality business keyboard. As of today, it has no equivalent. Cherry aside, there are no high quality, office orientated, reasonably priced boards. It seems strange that no company has targeted this market. A QFR type board, perhaps with a numpad, and with cherry / matias switches could sell well to companies who appreciated the benefits of high quality hardware. Yet every low cost board is targeted at the same demographic - gamers, with 1337 flashing lights and ugly stencil fonts. Is this an opportunity for a manufacturer to carve out a niche. I could see Matias or Filco building a lower cost MJ2 and selling it in bulk. Is this a non existent market, or does someone already fill this gap?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Model M for the Modern Age
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 05:49:59 »
The Model M wasn't reasonably priced, that's the whole point. Adjusted, it would've cost around $450 nowadays. Would you pay that for any keyboard? :p
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 06:54:21 »
As I understand it hardly any of the IBM boards sold much alone. They were commonly sold with complete kits to companies who needed dozens of computers, screens, keyboards and whatever else. This was when computers were extremely expensive, so the keyboard price was hardly noticed on the invoice next to $3000 320x240 CGA displays and other things we would laugh at today.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 06:55:59 »
Exactly. The Model M was the standard because it was given out with everything, not because it was so good. And the only reason it was so good it because they could afford it to be.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 07:13:53 »
I suppose modern companies purchasing from Unicomp, Cherry Corp or even gaming brands would have a similar effect these days.

Cherry could play the role the OP speaks about, because those boards do come reasonably priced from time to time, say, €50 ($60). I'm pretty sure it should be possible to arrange the purchase of, say, 200–300 units and pay no more than that per piece. The 'boards would then come with reasonable quality of execution, no frills, no gaming goodies, 1998-style design, and probably brown MX switches inside.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 07:18:17 »
Leopold boards with cherry switches are very nice and not flashy and they can be bought with nice keycaps stock.

But most offices just use $5 rubber dome boards.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 07:32:15 »
The Model M wasn't reasonably priced, that's the whole point. Adjusted, it would've cost around $450 nowadays. Would you pay that for any keyboard? :p

For comparison, while the Model M listed for $250, most compatibles like a Chicony, Focus, NMB, etc were between $40 and $100.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 08:04:20 »
Cherry could play the role the OP speaks about, because those boards do come reasonably priced from time to time, say, €50 ($60). I'm pretty sure it should be possible to arrange the purchase of, say, 200–300 units and pay no more than that per piece. The 'boards would then come with reasonable quality of execution, no frills, no gaming goodies, 1998-style design, and probably brown MX switches inside.
Personally, I would say the Model M and any Cherry board are day and night in almost every regard. The Model M is heavy, well-constructed, expensive, and made from the ground up to be a superior typing experience. Cherry boards are cheap, flimsy, light, and to me at least, lack a clear focus on what they're supposed to be.

I think the simple fact is that there is no company that has targeted the market of extremely expensive, highly durable hardware because it doesn't exist. I could buy one or possibly even several lifetimes' worth of rubber dome keyboards for the cost of what one Model M used to be. The fact IBM PCs used to come with an expensive, fantastic keyboard was just a bonus, but most companies, when given the choice, won't go for more expensive peripherals. You might find that companies that used to make extremely durable hardware (not just computer-related) have almost invariably either dropped their standards over time or gone bankrupt.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 08:32:59 »
You might find that companies that used to make extremely durable hardware ...... or gone bankrupt.

I think that this is it. Even if there were buyers, how could sellers expect return business after the market was mostly saturated?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 09:36:38 »
When I order a staff member a new computer, I ask them if they want a new keyboard and mouse and just add it onto the lease. I think if Dell offered a ~$75 tactile mechanical, I would choose that one every time. That would only add like $3/mo.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 10:03:08 »
When I order a staff member a new computer, I ask them if they want a new keyboard and mouse and just add it onto the lease. I think if Dell offered a ~$75 tactile mechanical, I would choose that one every time. That would only add like $3/mo.

Right. When companies are paying hundreds for computers, paying a little more on keyboards should be a much more widely accepted option. Also, it wards off the people who sue for RSI :)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 10:04:49 »

Sure, it perhaps couldn't be quite as bulletproof as the Model M, but now, so many more keyboards are needed that economies of scale should work to a much larger effect. Also, we have more efficient manufacturing now. It is not hard to imagine that 450 dollar pricetag being slashed fourfold by modern technology.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 10:17:22 »
It is doubtful that the "market" referred in the OP does actually exist.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 10:24:37 »

Because... companies would much rather buy crate loads of $5 membranes?

(Who doesn't love these?)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 10:28:23 »

Show Image

It would be great to know data pointing what companies wanted to buy keyboards priced in the hundreds.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 10:29:02 »
At the very least I'm surprised there aren't more TKL options, rubber dome or otherwise.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 10:43:35 »

Show Image

It would be great to know data pointing what companies wanted to buy keyboards priced in the hundreds.
I think that in bulk, you could have a 50 dollar mech board with reasonable if not top notch build quality and matias switches. Is that still too expensive?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 11:16:27 »

Show Image

I think that in bulk, you could have a 50 dollar mech board with reasonable if not top notch build quality and matias switches. Is that still too expensive?

There is no market or matias would be making boards for it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 11:25:41 »

Show Image

This remark makes total sense, and it is my entire point, the OP is just an idea with no warrants based on facts, data or the like.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 11:27:04 »
If you lower the price, something's got to give, and usually it's quality.

There are already plenty of cheap "plain" mechanical keyboards out there; we just don't talk about them much, since enthusiast types typically go for the higher quality plain keyboards over the cheaper plain keyboards.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 11:35:12 »
Cherry aside, there are no high quality, office orientated, reasonably priced boards.

I really do think that most people are just totally unaware that much nicer keyboards exist. I'll admit that maybe a 18 months ago, I was one of them! I was just merrily typing away on whatever keyboard happened to be in front of me. Once you take the red pill, though, there's no going back.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:11:11 »
it wards off the people who sue for RSI

If somebody could come up with valid data showing that good keyboards helped, even marginally, it would help get them in the door.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:40:48 »

Show Image

I mean, yeah... $50 is still too expensive for large corporations. Think about it, for that $50 price tag, they could easily get 10 keyboards that work just as well for their purposes. Besides, I would argue that most mechanical keyboards would probably last about as long as a rubberdome, on average, because people wouldn't take care of them regardless. I mean, I would think that the chances of dropping something like a cup of coffee on the keyboard are somewhat higher than they would be in my home, where I take really good care of my keyboards... So, I mean, unless you could make something that was as cheap as a normal rubberdome, you aren't going to get anywhere.

As for the RSI argument, I don't think that mechanical keyboards actually fix that for the vast majority of people. For most companies, it's cheaper (on a case by case basis) to just shell out for a mechanical keyboard if a specific employee wants one, because that would cost less than any lawsuit that might happen. Other than that, I think that wrist rests are the biggest factors in reducing or eliminating RSI (That's based on my own personal experience with my own mechanical keyboards, so take it with a grain of salt, as it's not exactly scientific...) and you can get a perfectly functional wrist wrest for what, $1-2?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:49:01 »
It doesn't help RSI, it helps us feel better in our fingers. If anything it would help with arthritis. RSI has to do with movement, not pressure.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:55:28 »

Show Image

This remark makes total sense, and it is my entire point, the OP is just an idea with no warrants based on facts, data or the like.

Show Image

Fair point. I'm not saying I do have data for it, it just seems that there is potential in the area. But yes, you would definitely expect Matias to be making boards if there was such a niche.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:01:22 »
You'd at least expect SOMEONE to...

Offline Altis

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 15:43:27 »
The companies that would (and do) spend extra on hardware like premium peripherals are typically small companies that don't have to buy as many, can justify the expense, and don't have so many layers of managers above you to stomp it out.

I work for a very large company and absolutely everything is difficult to get -- even simple things like screwdrivers or cables that I absolutely require.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 02:04:15 »
At the very least I'm surprised there aren't more TKL options, rubber dome or otherwise.

Possibly because mass-market keyboards are aimed at businesses, and businesses all use spreadsheets, right?

And you NEED a numpad for spreadsheets, right?

At least that is the thinking in businesses.

Even here on GH a lot of people looking for their first mechanical keyboard will say they need full size because they do a lot of spreadsheets.  For some it is a revelation to get a TKL plus a seaparate numpad, and experience the best of both worlds.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 03:01:43 »

Possibly because mass-market keyboards are aimed at businesses, and businesses all use spreadsheets, right?

Even here on GH a lot of people looking for their first mechanical keyboard will say they need full size because they do a lot of spreadsheets.  For some it is a revelation to get a TKL plus a seaparate numpad, and experience the best of both worlds.

It's that sort of set-in-stone way of thinking that is a real shame. I think companies would do better with TKLs and Numpads. It allows for more comfortable ergonomics (choice of which side to use numpad on and mouse closer to keyboard) and those that don't find themselves using a numpad don't have to have one cluttering up their desk.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 05:11:09 »

It's that sort of set-in-stone way of thinking that is a real shame. I think companies would do better with TKLs and Numpads. It allows for more comfortable ergonomics (choice of which side to use numpad on and mouse closer to keyboard) and those that don't find themselves using a numpad don't have to have one cluttering up their desk.
I agree it's all very useful, but can you imagine how much more expensive it would be to go from cheap-as-chips RD to mech TKL plus numpad for all office workers? Surely no boss would bite into a 20+ times cost increase on any item regardless of how comfortable it is.

Offline kct

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 06:11:25 »
Surely no boss would bite into a 20+ times cost increase on any item regardless of how comfortable it is.
Not to mention bosses typically gives huge incentives to whoever that helped the company to save money, not whoever that helped to enhance user experience at a great cost. There's also a trend of simply assigning laptops instead of a desktop PC, that's taking into account ordering a dock is often...not an option. My brother got a Dell from his company and they refused to shell out for a dock.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 08:09:46 »
Truth be told, the reasons we have to prefer mechanical keyboards over rubber domes are so subtle that most people cannot justify the hefty prices we pay for our devices in comparison. Who pays over $100 for a single key caps set? or over $200 for a metallic case? For most people it is simple insane to do so, when a very good rubber dome, even with some ergonomics features is around $100.

Offline kct

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 09:19:25 »
Truth be told, the reasons we have to prefer mechanical keyboards over rubber domes are so subtle that most people cannot justify the hefty prices we pay for our devices in comparison. Who pays over $100 for a single key caps set? or over $200 for a metallic case? For most people it is simple insane to do so, when a very good rubber dome, even with some ergonomics features is around $100.
A rather saddening truth from the fact that the enthusiast market constitute about a single digit percentage.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 11:13:43 »
I'm pretty sure it should be possible to arrange the purchase of, say, 200–300 units and pay no more than that per piece. The 'boards would then come with reasonable quality of execution, no frills, no gaming goodies, 1998-style design, and probably brown MX switches inside.

I think the simple fact is that there is no company that has targeted the market of extremely expensive, highly durable hardware because it doesn't exist. I could buy one or possibly even several lifetimes' worth of rubber dome keyboards for the cost of what one Model M used to be. The fact IBM PCs used to come with an expensive, fantastic keyboard was just a bonus, but most companies, when given the choice, won't go for more expensive peripherals. You might find that companies that used to make extremely durable hardware (not just computer-related) have almost invariably either dropped their standards over time or gone bankrupt.
Cherry makes many, many point-of-sale keyboards.  In fact, I think they are the leader.  I find them in the cdw outlet section all the time.

I think you've nailed it on the head about the market.  Especially today with the advent of a globalized economy (I mean just look at where we're all from), if there is a market--even a niche one--it gets filled.

Computers used to be really, really expensive.  And because they needed to replace the typewriters that were comparatively cheap and readily available, something had to be really familiar--the keyboard.  Just listen to an M and then the sound of a typewriter--it's only slightly different.  The model F is even more typewriter-like.  The keyboard was the one UI tool that was familiar--everything else was new, so IBM made sure that UI was as close as they could make it.  The older computers were also made solid.  If you've ever lifted an old IBM AT case, you'll find it to be much heavier empty than a modern day computer is completely full.

The days of 'built-to-last a lifetime' are nearly gone.  Most everything today--even something built well--has a lifespan of maybe 20 years.  And that's sad because in this day and age of recycle, reuse, blah blah, you'd never have to throw it away if it never broke in the first place!  Plus, you can't build on anything expecting it  to work day-in day-out anymore.  Not devices; and even people aren't as reliable anymore.  Once in a while there's a backlash and quality is a fad for a while, but then it disappears when the cheaper copy-cats come out, and then the process seems to restart.  It's actually an unnecessary rollercoaster ride, but it's the demand for cheaper products that has caused this type of economy.  No one thinks like us anymore--no one really cares this much about the details and hence companies can't cater to the market en mass.

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 11:48:11 »

Crikey, didn't know that. I feel better about my Korean custom now.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 14:40:52 »

Custom keyboards have value because of their uniqueness, and because they are craftsmanship products. Model M was an expensive mass manufactured product, that's the main point.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 14:43:37 »
Well, it's a point. There are others.

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 20:59:35 »
Dihedral - not meaning to toot my own horn :), I have started a group buy for brand new metal Model F keyboards, the predecessor to the Model M, over in the Interest Check subforum.  While they are far from "value-priced" and do not have the standard full layout, with economies of scale they could move further in that direction and someone may want to take on different layouts in the years to come, now that I have paid for production of some of the Model F molds (though we only have about 150 orders so far, so economies of scale are not there just yet).

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73363.0

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 21:18:33 »

Custom keyboards have value because of their uniqueness, and because they are craftsmanship products. Model M was an expensive mass manufactured product, that's the main point.

That's what I'm talking about, it seems absurd that something incredibly mass-produced with cheap components (plastic shell/case) could possibly compare to a custom-made board with the best you can buy. Granted Unicomp is lower quality than an OG Model M, but even in these days it wouldn't sell if it was over $100, imo.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 21:26:38 »
Dihedral - not meaning to toot my own horn :) , I have started a group buy for brand new metal Model F keyboards, the predecessor to the Model M, over in the Interest Check subforum.  While they are far from "value-priced" and do not have the standard full layout, with economies of scale they could move further in that direction and someone may want to take on different layouts in the years to come, now that I have paid for production of some of the Model F molds (though we only have about 150 orders so far, so economies of scale are not there just yet).

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73363.0

With the orders you have on hand, how close are you to the $350 goal?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 21:36:52 »
The price will be $325 bring your own caps, or I think $350 with caps - already reached the pricing goal!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 21:43:47 »
The price will be $325 bring your own caps, or I think $350 with caps - already reached the pricing goal!

Have you ever plan to build a SSK?
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2015, 21:45:39 by ideus »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 07:59:13 »
Nope ideus.  The F77 can be made very similar to an SSK layout, just with shared function keys instead of separate keys.

Offline M-88

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 08:35:46 »
It's a race to the bottom. And in the ever-dieing desktop market ... it's only going to get worse.

However, we have some new Wyse thin clients that have decent dome keyboards.

Show Image

Those weren't actually too bad to type on! The worst ones that are around today are the Dell KB-212 IMO. They just hurt my wrist after like 30 seconds of typing.

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 09:58:16 »

An ISO and an ANSI board.. my head hurts.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 14:39:49 »
However, we have some new Wyse thin clients that have decent dome keyboards.
Interesting.  I've got one of those somewhere I'll need to check out.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 17:27:50 »

An ISO and an ANSI board.. my head hurts.

Right?  It's like the worst of both, put together.

OP - go for a new USB 103 key Unicomp Model M, and call it a day. 
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.