Author Topic: "The Jab"  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Kavik

"The Jab"
« on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 13:15:24 »
"The Jab" sounds like the most British thing I've ever heard. I'd never heard the covid-19 vaccines or any other shot referred to as "the jab" until about a month ago. I first heard it on the BBC, I think, but it's becoming part of the American lexicon now. Is this term something that naturally leaked over from the UK (am I even right about this being British English slang?), or is this some deliberate, surreptitious marketing campaign to make the vaccines sound more "hip"?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: "The Jab"
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 13:39:19 »
Reasonably sure Tp4 has heard jab before the pandemic. But could be wrong, Tp4 memory stack is not fully time-stamped. During pandemic time easily blends together.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 21:09:12 »
Can't believe haven't heard this one before,  "Spreadneck", hahahahahaha, is it new? how long has it been around?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 21:26:52 »
I keep hearing people around here saying 'I've been poked'

Offline Kavik

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 22:48:05 »

Haha, I definitely haven't heard that one.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 03:42:02 »
Jab is indeed British (originally Scottish to be exact) and has been around longer than I have so not sure it even counts as slang now.  Sounds less painful than getting shot so not surprised you're borrowing it :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 03:55:46 »
Well no wonder so many guys are running scared to get it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 04:30:20 »
Definitely was already a Brit thing before.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 06:46:50 »
Pretty common reference in Australia, considering we are just a dumping ground for unwanted British subjects it would make sense.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 07:17:51 »
Pretty common reference in Australia, considering we are just a dumping ground for unwanted British subjects it would make sense.

Tell us more about fanpeep's most -chav- experiences.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 08:40:31 »
In my zone, it is almost always "my shot" or "your shot" (and occasionally "his shot" or "her shot") definite and personal rather than "the shot" or "a shot" or something else that sounds distant or impersonal - like the deniers want it to be.

I have never had a problem with getting shots, and I even donate blood regularly to the Red Cross, where they use a gigantic needle (~16 gauge) (and it stays in for multiple minutes)  whereas the Covid-19 vaccination uses a tiny (~25 gauge) needle and takes a couple of seconds.

But I do understand that there is a significant percentage of people who have serious phobias about getting shots, and that avoiding that word might help trivialize the procedure.

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 11:17:21 »
I call it the prick.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 20:52:56 »

Tell us more about fanpeep's most -chav- experiences.

[/quote]

Well I mowed my lawn the other day. Took 4 hours, push mower, big lawn. Was sweaty.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 10:54:42 »
I, a cold-blooded American, will remain calling it "The Shot" for I live in a land of firearms and cannons.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline iri

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 15:47:20 »
'the jab' is not even slang anymore
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury