Author Topic: [IC] GMK Sparta - Launched on Drop.com  (Read 111729 times)

Offline crusader_alex

Re: [IC] GMK Sparta
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 05:54:18 »
QUESTION: did GMK actually make the correct mold for the W/ς key? AFAIR (though I could be wrong), back when the Greek Olivetti set was in the design stage, they did NOT have it (and had the very, very incorrect W/Ç keycap mold instead). If this IC goes to GB, this NEEDS to be tended to, so as not to hit buyers (either Greeks, or with OCD, or Greeks with OCD) with an unpleasant surprise.

Besides this, please review the ISO support in the base kit. As it stands now, the mods (left Shift and ISO Enter) are fine, but the alphas are in that weird space in between US ISO and UK ISO, without actually fulfilling either set. There are two solutions to this: go ahead with full UK ISO support (adding the missing `¬ 2" 3£ keys in R1) or scale back to US ISO support (replacing the two R3 '@ #~ keys with a single R3 \| key). I'd go with the latter, but WDIKAA.

Yeah all the molds are fixed,GMK themselves confirmed that.As for the ISO support i will review it and i will add the remaining keys to the base.I will release an update soon with fixes in the kits and some more renders.Thanks for your feedback!

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 13:32:43 »
Besides this, please review the ISO support in the base kit. As it stands now, the mods (left Shift and ISO Enter) are fine, but the alphas are in that weird space in between US ISO and UK ISO, without actually fulfilling either set. There are two solutions to this: go ahead with full UK ISO support (adding the missing `¬ 2" 3£ keys in R1) or scale back to US ISO support (replacing the two R3 '@ #~ keys with a single R3 \| key). I'd go with the latter, but WDIKAA.

As for the ISO support i will review it and i will add the remaining keys to the base.I will release an update soon with fixes in the kits and some more renders.Thanks for your feedback!
Awesome to hear this, ISO UK keys mean a lot to me  :D

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 13:54:28 »
As for the ISO support i will review it and i will add the remaining keys to the base.

I'd advise against adding ISO-UK, baseline ISO support (4 keys) will help reduce the cost of the base kit.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 13:56:29 »
As for the ISO support i will review it and i will add the remaining keys to the base.

I'd advise against adding ISO-UK, baseline ISO support (4 keys) will help reduce the cost of the base kit.
you make me sad

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 14:03:07 »

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 01:59:44 »

Has someone every made a comparison for that ? Whats the real price difference with adding these keys?

Same for Numpad ...

Would apriciate the 4 iso uk keys - and even Numpad in base. 

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 04:46:11 »

Has someone every made a comparison for that ? Whats the real price difference with adding these keys?

Check the “On the availability of ISO” thread in the main Keyboards section of the forums.

I didn't quite get the whole argument across in my previous post, my bad. It's not just that adding full ISO-UK support increases the cost of the base kit by some $5–$10, but it also doesn't offer any substantial benefits over baseline ISO support for most users.

Another facet of the argument is: why is ISO-UK special and why should it be preferred over other ISO layouts with a similar number of extra keys and similar number of users joining GBs? The argument of “that's how it's usually been done in the past” isn't really valid, and is rightfully being brought into question now.

These and some other points are why baseline ISO support (4 keys) is a good compromise for most sets.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 July 2019, 05:01:45 by constexpr »

Offline nsmk

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 06:34:54 »
Nice set! A must buy for me.  :D

Also second spacebar kit. Or gimme a hint on the color here so I can snag a spacebar kit from some other set  :p

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 17:33:59 »
A small update:

So after gathering some data i am updating/changing some of the kits.

The base kit is now featuring the mixed greek legends (please ingnore the barred keys in the render)

Now that means that i can cut down on kits making MOQ much easier to hit across everything.That said i know that these legends are not everyones cup of tea so i'd like to request that you take the time to
tell me what you prefer here:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18406295

Here are some new renders:

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 17:50:02 »
A small update:

The base kit is now featuring the mixed greek legends (please ingnore the barred keys in the render)

Show Image

Now that means that i can cut down on kits making MOQ much easier to hit across everything.That said i know that these legends are not everyones cup of tea so i'd like to request that you take the time to
tell me what you prefer here:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18406295
Not so keen on sublegends, but probably not a deal breaker for me.

Is the plan still to add the rest of ISO UK?

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 18:11:50 »
A small update:

…i'd like to request that you take the time to tell me what you prefer here:

I have only one criticism regarding the chosen keys:

PLEASE correct the ISO support. Right now, you're doing "Atlantis ISO" (incomplete support for both US ISO and UK ISO — the set is "halfway" to either side of the pond), which is the worst option. *I* (obdis.: YMMV, NMCTM, WDIKAA) would go with US ISO support, which will require adding the R3 \| key and dropping the R3 #~ and '@ keys from the latest kit.

Other comments:

- I absolutely dig having both sets of colors for the arrows. Knowing myself, I'll probably use one of them in a mix-and-match keyboard with some other kit.

- Is split space bar support a possibility?

- I'd like the set even better if the alphas used the brown color instead of the ochre tone, but I know that this is strictly subjective and not my call to make at all.

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 22:34:07 »
I can't help but feel disappointed with the merging of Greek legends, but I totally understand.
I voted for Latin only. Fingers crossed that this set gets enough interest to warrant two separate sets.
Hopefully the poll will give a clearer picture.

Offline baye12928

• keyboard fans
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 03:26:36 »
I love this design, looks really elegant!

Offline NRbigfoot

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 07:02:23 »
May I suggest not using doubled Latin-legends on the Greek sublegend kit?

Show Image

I think that, while duplicate legends bring uniformity to the alphas, they're a bit superfluous.

Also, can I suggest R5 bottom row? :D

I agree with Lightning in not using double Latin-legends. I think this way looks much cleaner and more interesting.
+1 to R5 as well
HBCP | FLX Virgo | aanzee | Mira SE | Leaf 80 | HHKB pro 1 | qxp | Rukia | IDB60 | equinox | No1Rev1 | Whale | Montage | 268.2 | Anniversary Whale | Jer80 | Evolv

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 07:59:52 »
I much prefer the merged alphas in the core kit, but that is personnal. I would like to see a render with the alpha legend switched to the modifiers' red as it as been mentioned earlier in the post, just to see how it looks.

Other than that, I'm in, as I already stated :)

Offline jani80k

• In the hobby for a good time.
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 08:26:03 »
Wow, nice colorway!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 16:28:36 »
There's not much point in having 1800 compat (R1 End, PgDn) separate from the numpad. Please move it to the numpad kit.

Your TKL mod legends are a bit inconsistent (PrtSc yet Pause/Break, Scroll Lock etc.). I suggest going with Print, Scroll, Pause, Caps, Num for a uniform one-line look across the board. These legends also fit the set's name better imo: Spartan — something that is simple, austere and very straight to the point.

Personally, I'd also remove the stepped R3 Control as I think having the non-stepped version is enough.

Finally, consider adding extended 65% compat (R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn) to the base kit for all of us 65%/75% users who like different right columns or use split Backspace.

All of this still stands. Moving R1 End, PgDn to the numpad kit and adding R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn to the base kit in their place especially makes a lot of sense.

And yes, drop the faux ISO-UK support (R3 '@, #~) and add a R3 \| instead.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 August 2019, 16:34:42 by constexpr »

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 16:36:51 »
There's not much point in having 1800 compat (R1 End, PgDn) separate from the numpad. Please move it to the numpad kit.

Your TKL mod legends are a bit inconsistent (PrtSc yet Pause/Break, Scroll Lock etc.). I suggest going with Print, Scroll, Pause, Caps, Num for a uniform one-line look across the board. These legends also fit the set's name better imo: Spartan — something that is simple, austere and very straight to the point.

Personally, I'd also remove the stepped R3 Control as I think having the non-stepped version is enough.

Finally, consider adding extended 65% compat (R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn) to the base kit for all of us 65%/75% users who like different right columns or use split Backspace.

All of this still stands. Moving R1 End, PgDn to the numpad kit and adding R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn to the base kit in their place especially makes a lot of sense.

And yes, drop the faux ISO-UK support (R3 '@, #~) and add a R3 \| instead.

orrr add real ISO UK support (R1 `¬, 2", 3£)   ;) ;)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 16:42:06 »
orrr add real ISO UK support (R1 `¬, 2", 3£)   ;) ;)

That's a valid option too (albeit one I wouldn't recommend) :D As long as it isn't neither here nor there.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 18:44:04 »
gmk usc
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 06:44:13 »
I already beat you to the GMK usc. Nice try.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 07:50:17 »
GMK ASU Frat .....jk looks good.

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 05:18:55 »
Another update

After hearing your feedback i believe i have finalized the kits

Updated kits

Base:

Numpad:

There have been a fair amount of changes here

First of all regarding the ISO compat i have gone back to baseline ISO support without having keys that lean more to some layouts without completing them.
Another notable change is the removal of the 1800 support from the base because as some people noted there is no support without the numpad anyway and therefore the required keys have been moved to the numpad kit.Additionally the MENU key has been changed to FN.Last but not least an R3 Pgup and R4 Pgdn have been added.

I am also happy to announce that Daily Clack will be our Oceania proxy for this set.

Now things to do:

1)Submit the new kits to GMK for pricing

2)Work out GB dates

3) Collabs (?)

As always thank you for supporting this set and i hope we can make it a reality!

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 06:37:07 »
First of all regarding the ISO compat i have gone back to baseline ISO support without having keys that lean more to some layouts without completing them.

But... "having keys that lean more to some layouts without completing them" is exactly what you're doing now. As of this update, you have R3 #~ (UK only) and R4 \| (US+UK), but are not adding the rest of the keys needed for full UK support.

All you need to do is to replace R3 #~ with R3 \| and you'll have baseline ISO support without omissions.

All the other changes are perfect, though. :thumb:

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 07:02:31 »

But... "having keys that lean more to some layouts without completing them" is exactly what you're doing now. As of this update, you have R3 #~ (UK only) and R4 \| (US+UK), but are not adding the rest of the keys needed for full UK support.

All you need to do is to replace R3 #~ with R3 \| and you'll have baseline ISO support without omissions.

Yes i suppose i phrased that quite poorly.What i am basically doing here is offering the basic ISO support that many other sets have offered in the past but i might look into the change you mentioned,if a number of ISO users request it that is.Thanks for your feedback!

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 08:07:07 »

Yes i suppose i phrased that quite poorly.What i am basically doing here is offering the basic ISO support that many other sets have offered in the past but i might look into the change you mentioned,if a number of ISO users request it that is.Thanks for your feedback!

Yeah, many sets in the past got it wrong (and in various degrees, to boot) — that's why I and a few others are working raise awareness and ensure those mistakes won't be repeated; after all, we all want our keycap sets to be perfect! :)

You may want to look at the way oblotzky does his sets: basic ISO support in the base kit, by adding four keys (short left Shift, mod-colored Enter, R3 \| and R4 \|) or five (those four plus an accent-Colored ISO Enter).

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 13:57:55 »
Shame about the ISO, but I understand the decision.

Offline nsmk

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 17:21:01 »
Is there any chance for adding split space bar support? Personally, would be cool to have.

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 18:00:00 »
no 1800 support on a kit with num pad?? nvm i'm blind

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 19:31:08 »
Is there any chance for adding split space bar support? Personally, would be cool to have.

Unfortunately a spacebar kit will not be a thing most likely,it would make the number of kits pretty high making it signifcantly harder to hit moq in all of them

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 21:16:45 »
Is the profile for this 112344, or something else?

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 00:24:16 »
May I suggest not using doubled Latin-legends on the Greek sublegend kit?

Show Image

I think that, while duplicate legends bring uniformity to the alphas, they're a bit superfluous.

Also, can I suggest R5 bottom row? :D

I agree with Lightning in not using double Latin-legends. I think this way looks much cleaner and more interesting.
+1 to R5 as well

+1 to the not using double latin legends and r5
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 00:32:40 »
Sick set. I would be interested in an Greek Only Alpha set tho.

Offline sozo

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 03:02:28 »
Looking forward to this set! Love the greek alphas

Offline nsmk

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 03:44:41 »

Unfortunately a spacebar kit will not be a thing most likely,it would make the number of kits pretty high making it signifcantly harder to hit moq in all of them

Alright, not a deal breaker by any means. Definitely still in :D

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 19:02:03 »
Another update

Updated kits

[...]

Another notable change is the removal of the 1800 support from the base because as some people noted there is no support without the numpad anyway and therefore the required keys have been moved to the numpad kit.Additionally the MENU key has been changed to FN.Last but not least an R3 Pgup and R4 Pgdn have been added.

+1 to all of these changes. You're almost there. A few things still seem “off” to me, so I'll list them here:
  • What bothers me the most is that Pause↲Break legend. It really has no place in this set. There's no SysRq legend under the PrtSc key, so why should there be a Break legend under Pause? Please be a sweetheart and remove it :)
  • On a related note, have you considered replacing Caps↲Lock, Scroll↲Lock, Num↲Lock with just Caps, Scroll, Num? I believe I've said this before, but I think it'll look cleaner, and also fit the set's core idea of spartan austerity better. (In that case you should probably also use Print instead of PrtSc.)
  • I agree with the others about ISO compatibility: R3 #~ should be replaced with R3 \|.
  • I don't see a barred homing 5 in the numpad kit; you may want to add it.
  • Think about whether stepped 1.75u Control and 2u Shift are really necessary in the base kit. There's no 6u spacebar or 1.75u Function, so I don't think these are required either.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 21:39:20 »
What base colors are the alphas?

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 22:54:54 »
I wonder what Civilization players would think of these keycaps...

Offline trg1234

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 00:31:28 »
Watching this set closely. I love the idea and the execution. The people in the thread are offering good suggestions and it looks like you are listening so thats good to see. Excited to see how it goes!
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 August 2019, 17:03:21 by trg1234 »

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 00:48:26 »
Another update

Updated kits

[...]

+1 to all of these changes. You're almost there. A few things still seem “off” to me, so I'll list them here:
  • What bothers me the most is that Pause↲Break legend. It really has no place in this set. There's no SysRq legend under the PrtSc key, so why should there be a Break legend under Pause? Please be a sweetheart and remove it :)
  • On a related note, have you considered replacing Caps↲Lock, Scroll↲Lock, Num↲Lock with just Caps, Scroll, Num? I believe I've said this before, but I think it'll look cleaner, and also fit the set's core idea of spartan austerity better. (In that case you should probably also use Print instead of PrtSc.)
  • I agree with the others about ISO compatibility: R3 #~ should be replaced with R3 \|.
  • Think about whether stepped 1.75u Control and 2u Shift are really necessary in the base kit. There's no 6u spacebar or 1.75u Function, so I don't think these are required either.

These are definitely some helpful notes and i will take them under consideration.To answer your last point i don't  believe a 6u spacebar is required to have those keys you mentioned.I for one use the stepped control whenever it's available in a set and
i think the 2u shift is required in some 60% layouts that use a 6.25u spacebar (gk64 etc) so it's nice to have.

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
Re: [IC] GMK Sparta - Kit Updates and more renders!
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 04:05:43 »
Set of the year, love everything about it. Thank you!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 04:26:24 »
[...]

Think about whether stepped 1.75u Control and 2u Shift are really necessary in the base kit. There's no 6u spacebar or 1.75u Function, so I don't think these are required either.

These are definitely some helpful notes and i will take them under consideration.To answer your last point i don't  believe a 6u spacebar is required to have those keys you mentioned.I for one use the stepped control whenever it's available in a set and
i think the 2u shift is required in some 60% layouts that use a 6.25u spacebar (gk64 etc) so it's nice to have.

Thanks for taking my feedback into consideration.

I believe there was a slight misunderstand regarding the 1.75u Function and 6u spacebar I mentioned. I wasn't trying to say that these keys are required to have 1.75 stepped Control or 2u Shift — rather, I was listing them as examples of two more keys that are uncommon but are still used sometimes (just like 1.75u stepped Control and 2u Shift). The point I was trying to make was: if you're not including the two keys I mentioned, maybe the other two keys are also unnecessary?

Regarding 2u Shift in particular: While you're correct that the GK64 layout uses that key, it also uses a 1u Shift and a 1u Del on the other side. There's another, similar 60% layout that uses two 2u Shifts. Although your support for these layouts is, therefore, incomplete, I still understand if you want to include a 2u Shift to at least support the GK64 layout physically. But again, I don't think these layouts are common enough (even though I use / have used both of them myself) to warrant including a 2u Shift in a stripped down base kit such as this.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 09:56:17 »
What base colors are the alphas?
Is it written somewhere? What base color are the alphas?

Offline laserbeamspewpew

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 16:50:27 »
I suggest merging the mono and mixed Greek kits and dropping the keys where the sublegends are redundant.

Offline varzaman

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 18:34:14 »
Great looking set and I am a fan of the final design. I'm in!

Offline FredBananaz

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 03:52:42 »
Count me in!

Offline nuclear_wizard

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 12:59:36 »
Really love the colors on the alphas! All of the colors are lovely, but the mods are just too close to GMK Samurai for me (though I guess if you had that set you could make a pure dark yellow on dark red set). Novelties are on point except for the enter ones imo.

Really disappointed that there isn't a planned spacebar kit. That's unheard of for GMK sets this year (I guess excepting Handarbeit+), and AFAIK any set that offers them and the base meets MOQ has the spacebar kit meet MOQ too.

Offline varzaman

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 14:15:13 »
Another update

Updated kits

[...]

I agree on the notes about simplifying the labeling. It would look a lot cleaner.

Offline trg1234

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 14:20:22 »
Really disappointed that there isn't a planned spacebar kit. That's unheard of for GMK sets this year (I guess excepting Handarbeit+), and AFAIK any set that offers them and the base meets MOQ has the spacebar kit meet MOQ too.

This. I would urge to keep either the accent space or the regular space in the base in both standard spacebar sizes and make a separate spacebar kit with 6u and all the small ones etc.

Additionally I am not sure on having only some greek for the alphas. I’m primarily looking at the sublegends which I enjoy more, but gathering some poll on people looking at greek monolegends would be useful.

No comment on iso.

So far looking pretty good.