Author Topic: [GB] Angel 65% Keyboard  (Read 53623 times)

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
[GB] Angel 65% Keyboard
« on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 10:47:54 »
Update 5: 04/04/2022 - all boards have shipped from the manufacturer and have started to arrive with vendors to be QC'd/packed/shipped. If you ordered a polypropylene plate then please keep an eye out from an email from your vendor with steps to resolve for you. Thanks for your continued patience.

Update 4: 29/03/2022 - boards have arrived with at least one vendor. the majority should start packing/QC this week

Update 3: 26/01/2022 - Currently trying to get firm dates, have initially been told that everything will ship before CNY but no follow up on that and no notification from vendors. All boards are finished and packing has definitely started so hopefully everything will take place soon. In some good news: The hotswap PCB has now been added to some of the stores, you should have had an email from your regional vendor. If your vendor isn't selling it then please purchase from keebcats @ https://kbcats.co/udkHS2jo

Update 2: 4/11/2021 - Due to the rolling blackouts in China the factories responsible for machining and finishing have for a while only been able to work shorter work weeks, sometimes 2-4 days a week. This has pushed the delivery expectation, The latest dates I have from my factory rep are that it will ship to vendors by the end of the year, I'm hesitant to suggest this is a definite date but I will try to keep on top of this and come back with any further information as I get it. I appreciate your patience.

Update 1: 17th March - iLumKB had some issues closing out another board and had to delay opening this buy until today. All vendor pages are live and linked in the table below

Hello premium keyboard enthusiasts,

Photo credit @thinkwer

Here is the official GB thread for Angel, a pin-mount seamless 65% keyboard kit.

The IC thread is available here with more details

For more information about the mount style you can read the prophet threads available here:

Prophet IC Thread
Prophet GB Thread

The kit will be priced at $375 USD excluding sales/import tax and shipping. A kit includes: 1 x top, 1 x bottom, 1 x plate, and 1 PCB. The angle of the case is 6°. It includes a custom PCB designed by me that supports ISO/ANSI layouts and runs QMK, this will be matte black.

Options:
Top is available in WK or WKL - both have 0.5u arrow blocker
Case is available in Aluminium in 3 colours: E-Black, E-White & Anodised Silver
Plate is available in ISO/ANSI half or full layout in 2 materials: PP (Polypropylene, Black), POM (Polyoxymethylene, White). If the ISO numbers stay low we might have to restrict the material to ensure we hit a suitable price.

Here is a list of the retailers with their respective prices and regions. I will update this with links to the product page as soon as I have them.

The group buy will launch on the 8th March with all vendors except iLumKB who will launch on the 15th March. All vendors will hold open for 2 weeks minimum.

There is no region lock - please order from any vendor you like

Currently there are placeholder URLs to the store's homepages - these will be replaced with direct product links as soon as I have those

RegionRetailer & LinkRegional priceNotes
USACannonKeys$375 USDLimited to 300 units, releasing at 11AM EST on the 8th
CAApexKeyboards$485 CAD (ex. Tax) Limited to 100 units, releasing at 11AM est on the 8th
UKKeebCats£320
Europemykeyboard.eu €360
SEAiLumkb$539 SGD (inc GST)Live 15th March (Delayed to 17 Mar)
IDPlusKB5800000 IDRDiscord only

Extras pricing:
Additional PCBs: $45 USD / $57 CAD / £37 GBP / €49 EUR / $65 SGD / 700000 IDR
Additional Plates: $50 USD / $64 CAD / £39 GBP / €38 EUR / $72 SGD / 800000 IDR

The MOQ for the GB is 150 units for this pricing.

Due to the current global situation it’s hard to nail down an exact timeline estimate but projections should put us 6-8 months out from the Group Buy end for shipping so in Q4 2021. This is subject to change during the GB period and any updates will be put here first

Plate files will be released as soon as the production files are confirmed.

If you have any questions or comments about the case/pcb/buy structure please ask here or by any of these contact methods:  Reddit, Geekhack, email, discord.

Here is an album of images

Thank you for your time

Max

FAQ

Won't the plate fall out?
The plate does sit loose in the assembly and if you pick it up and shake it then it will rattle but there's not enough room for it to fall off, in typing this doesn't happen.

What is pin mount? Have there been any other boards that use this mounting style?
there is no pressure from the top half of the case on the plate. There are 4 pins in the corners of the base that hold the plate in place and it rests on the lip of the base. The theory is that the lack of downward pressure allows the plate more freedom of movement towards the center whilst still retaining an even pressure around the edge of the board. Prophet was the first public buy that used it

Which plate material is the best?
Polypropylene benefits the most from this mount style

How much does the keyboard weigh?
The weight of the keyboard built is around 1.1kg (2.5lbs)

KLE?
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/aad5430a8bd01d27b29b514ae45fe16b

Firmware Links:
Source: https://github.com/westfoxtrot/qmk_firmware/tree/dev/keyboards/cablecardesigns/ccd65/atmel
Via compatible firmware: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/655724945137074186/962986640740089866/cablecardesigns_ccd65_atmel_via.hex
Via JSON: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/655724945137074186/962987694714142760/ccd65Via.json

Edit notes:
- 05/03/21: adjusted CAD pricing
- 07/03/21: added EUR and IDR pricing
- 07/03/21: added KeebCats product link
- 08/03/21: dropped extra plate GBP price
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 April 2022, 03:09:46 by westfoxtrot »

Offline bthezebra

Re: [GB] Angel 65% Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 07:02:56 »
I'm going to look more into prophet impressions but I like discreet design.

Offline Hi !!

• Kiimari
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 08:23:55 »
Definitely in for Angel. Been curious with the typing experience. Also praying for faster delivery time. Cheers!

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 08:29:32 »
Prophet is one of the nicest feeling keyboards I’ve ever had the pleasure to build. Extremely exciting to see pin mount brought to the 65% form factor. I’m sure anyone who enjoys typing will love Angel. Good luck with group buy!

Offline some1ab

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 08:39:54 »
Prophet is a such a nice keeb, for anyone that likes 65s I can highly recommend this.

Offline PeppyToad

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 08:49:24 »
I absolutely adore the typing feel on my Prophet with a full PP plate. It gives my HHKBs a run for their money. I imagine the Angel to feel similarly. A relatively lightweight package that doesn't sacrifice form, function, and feel. Oh and sound and portability. It's quite the keeper.

Good luck with the buy!

Offline lac29

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 11:34:38 »
No split backspace correct?

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 11:54:15 »

It has split backspace support.

Offline valen_c13

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 12:20:33 »

Im blind or what? Even checked Summary, nope, still 1x7u and 1x6.25.
Need split space, its highly addictive

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 12:43:27 »

No split space - they are talking about split backspace above

Offline valen_c13

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 12:52:42 »

No split space - they are talking about split backspace above
oh. friday evening. missed it

Отправлено с моего HD1913 через Tapatalk

Offline bananathock

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 23:24:26 »
YAY! Let's gogogo! Looking forward to the GB!

Offline bas72

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 02:46:15 »
Beautiful keyboard: simple, elegant, functional. Curious after all the praise for the Prophet to try this one out. Will wait for EU launch to go live!

Offline R4YN3

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 21:13:09 »
Annoying that the US vendor is capped to 300 and the other vendors are no cap. I really hope I can get on on this.

Offline YoungTerror

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 00:12:27 »
Annoying that the US vendor is capped to 300 and the other vendors are no cap. I really hope I can get on on this.

Yeah I was really excited for this but I will have to pass as I will be at work and it isn't unlimited. GL.

Offline bert039

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 03:36:40 »
If we're in the US can we order from Apex or is it region locked?

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 03:41:33 »

There is no region lock - please order from any vendor you like

If the board sells out at CK then you can still order from the other vendors.

Offline bert039

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 03:44:39 »
Awesome thanks and my bad, just saw it in the OP

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 10:52:09 »

US Market is quite a bit larger than the others and there is no region lock so if 300 sell at CannonKeys people are free to buy elsewhere.

Offline Lito

• 1 GB away from bankrupcy
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 14:34:59 »
I just listened to the prototype sound tests on youtube and I love this sound, this looks amazingly close to endgame for my preferences but I'm just getting started and I want to get some experience with building before I go all out. Best of luck to y'all

Offline R4YN3

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 19:56:46 »

Now Apex is limited to 100.

Offline jani80k

• In the hobby for a good time.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 04:51:31 »
just buy this, guys. it is a no brainer. trust me.

Offline bas72

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 08:15:34 »
My fingers are itching. When will sales start on mykeyboard.eu?

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 08:39:48 »
Edit: Apex Keyboards launching at 11am EST

I will check with them! Should be soon

Offline bas72

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 08:46:40 »
Edit: Apex Keyboards launching at 11am EST

I will check with them! Should be soon

Awesome.  F5... F5... F5...  ;)

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 10:11:20 »
Anyone try half plate with the pin mount system (with the Prophet)?  Any feedback?

Offline TheMilkmen

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 10:19:48 »
Just bought in! Looking forward to this later in the year and hope that it all goes smoothly!

Offline bas72

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 12:21:52 »
I'm in!  :cool:

Offline bas72

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 14:15:46 »
One other thing that came to mind: does the PCB support PCB mount switches? Or only plate mount?

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 14:26:42 »
One other thing that came to mind: does the PCB support PCB mount switches? Or only plate mount?

The PCB supports PCB mounted pin switches of course.

Offline bas72

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 14:38:17 »

The PCB supports PCB mounted pin switches of course.
Great... thanks! I was planning on using Zilents with this board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline thanatic

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 00:29:52 »
I didn't see it in the description, but what kind of plate material comes with the keyboard kit? Or you can select any of the offerings?

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 04:09:45 »
I didn't see it in the description, but what kind of plate material comes with the keyboard kit? Or you can select any of the offerings?

You can select - if your retailer doesn't have it as an option on the storefront then they will be collecting with a google form or similar.

Offline thanatic

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 13:01:34 »

You can select - if your retailer doesn't have it as an option on the storefront then they will be collecting with a google form or similar.

Hello, thank you for getting back to me. I looked around other vendors and that was the case. There was a vendor where the details is in google form where as the other you can select/spec it out before the buy. I was confused for a moment, but thank you for taking the time to clarify. I appreciate it.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 20:25:43 »
Hey Westfoxtrot,

I was hoping you could tell me a bit about the POM vs PP plate options?
Going off of other peoples' sound tests on youtube, the full plate PP option sounds amazing for linear switches.
Would you feel similarly for tactile switches, or recommend a different plate option? And how would you compare the POM to the PP in half or full plate options?

I just entered the groupbuy for the Angel65, but was unsure if I should add a second plate to my order. I already locked in the full plate PP.

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 04:36:56 »
Hey Westfoxtrot,

Going off of other peoples' sound tests on youtube, the full plate PP option sounds amazing for linear switches.
Would you feel similarly for tactile switches, or recommend a different plate option? And how would you compare the POM to the PP in half or full plate options?

I just entered the groupbuy for the Angel65, but was unsure if I should add a second plate to my order. I already locked in the full plate PP.

I don't use tactiles very often but I know that generally people like a slightly firmer plate for those which is why I included POM. It's a slightly louder sound signature compared to PP in this mount but still works nicely and doesn't bounce like a harder material would (metals/cf etc)

With regards to half and full it's a bit of a difficult one to cover if you haven't used a half plate before. Half plate on this board is a fairly different experience, the relief cuts in the PCB make it a bit more bouncy and floaty of a typing experience - it also has more variation in sound profile between alphas and mods due to the lack of the plate. My overall advice is: if you haven't tried a half plate before then in this board it's really love/hate so might be a bit of a risky move :-)

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 20:12:55 »
Hey Westfoxtrot,

I don't use tactiles very often but I know that generally people like a slightly firmer plate for those which is why I included POM. It's a slightly louder sound signature compared to PP in this mount but still works nicely and doesn't bounce like a harder material would (metals/cf etc)

With regards to half and full it's a bit of a difficult one to cover if you haven't used a half plate before. Half plate on this board is a fairly different experience, the relief cuts in the PCB make it a bit more bouncy and floaty of a typing experience - it also has more variation in sound profile between alphas and mods due to the lack of the plate. My overall advice is: if you haven't tried a half plate before then in this board it's really love/hate so might be a bit of a risky move :-)

After some thought, I am going to get a half plate in addition to the full PP. My feeling is I won't have another good opportunity to try half plate anytime soon, so may as well get a second plate if I am already in for the keyboard.

Thanks for your advice on the plate options.

Offline thanatic

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 01:08:49 »
Are there any other compatible PCB that can be used on this keyboard? If so can you provide some examples? Thank you.

Offline P103

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 20:09:58 »
Joined, can't wait to pin mount a full PP.

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 04:04:19 »
Are there any other compatible PCB that can be used on this keyboard? If so can you provide some examples? Thank you.

The savage65 and instant65 by CannonKeys will fit, the kbd67 PCB should fit although there are no released step files to check.

Joined, can't wait to pin mount a full PP.

:thumb: :thumb:

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 17:10:55 »
Hey Westfoxtrot,

Hey again, I f'd up and missed the final day to change my order (I wanted to add a half plate POM). Any chance there will be extra plates sent to Cannonkeys when you guys are done manufacturing?
Really excited for the Angel65 !!!

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 10:19:31 »
Hey Westfoxtrot,

Hey again, I f'd up and missed the final day to change my order (I wanted to add a half plate POM). Any chance there will be extra plates sent to Cannonkeys when you guys are done manufacturing?

Yes there will be - might be worth sending them a message and see if they can add it before we place the order with the manufacturer though.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 14:26:40 »
Hey Westfoxtrot,

Yes there will be - might be worth sending them a message and see if they can add it before we place the order with the manufacturer though.

I tried but they said they couldn't, I will keep my eyes peeled for extras later this year (please send a POM half to cannon keys :) )

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 04:01:10 »
Updated first post with delay details

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 26 January 2022, 09:28:02 »
updated first post - Hotswap PCB now for sale:

MyKeyboard
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/pre-order-angel-hotswap-pcb_5433/

Keebcats:
https://kbcats.co/udkHS2jo

Apex and iLum have sent emails out to buyers to purchase.
If your vendor is not selling the PCB then please purchase from keebcats

Note: Vendors cannot swap the included PCB for a hotswap PCB, this is only an add-on product

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 26 January 2022, 11:36:59 »
Any plans on plates being made as well?  I wouldn’t mind having a hotswap PCB but I ordered a half plate.  I’ve experienced hotswap on a plateless board before and the switches sometimes tilt.  Would pick up a hotswap pcb if I could also pick up a full plate.  ;D

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 26 January 2022, 13:32:44 »
IIRC there will be extras at cannon keys. I hear nothing but good things about full PP plates if you are trying to get a full. I am actually doing the opposite, want to get a half plate whenever extras start popping up.

Offline pirate45

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 28 January 2022, 13:06:30 »
So, recently I saw an update about the new hotswap PCB. Going to buy it for my wkl black anodised angel 65.

1. Would this PCB have a protection from static electricity?
2. Would this PCB made on the same factory, which is going to made standart solderable angel65 PCB?

Thank u for response in advance and sorry for my English(

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 05:45:16 »
Any plans on plates being made as well?  I wouldn’t mind having a hotswap PCB but I ordered a half plate.  I’ve experienced hotswap on a plateless board before and the switches sometimes tilt.  Would pick up a hotswap pcb if I could also pick up a full plate.  ;D

Not at this time though I recommend asking your vendor if they have extras available :-)

So, recently I saw an update about the new hotswap PCB. Going to buy it for my wkl black anodised angel 65.

1. Would this PCB have a protection from static electricity?
2. Would this PCB made on the same factory, which is going to made standart solderable angel65 PCB?

Thank u for response in advance and sorry for my English(

Yes it has all the same features as the soldered PCB and is made in the same place

Offline jockbrown

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 20 May 2023, 03:38:31 »
updated first post - Hotswap PCB now for sale:

MyKeyboard
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/pre-order-angel-hotswap-pcb_5433/ a small world cup

Keebcats:
https://kbcats.co/udkHS2jo

Apex and iLum have sent emails out to buyers to purchase.
If your vendor is not selling the PCB then please purchase from keebcats

Note: Vendors cannot swap the included PCB for a hotswap PCB, this is only an add-on product
Great, my Angel arrived 2 days ago and ill build it probably tomorrow with SP Stars White and pp half plate too
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 May 2023, 03:40:39 by jockbrown »