Author Topic: [Got an awesome price quote! See post 230] Aluminum poker cases  (Read 43856 times)

Offline Nighted

[Got an awesome price quote! See post 230] Aluminum poker cases
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 14:05:36 »
Bead blasted stainless would look pretty sweet.
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 14:10:22 »
Stick to your Original design. If somebody wants something extra they can find a way to do it themselves.

Everybody wants all the bells and whistles but everybody wants to pay under 100 too.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 14:42:53 »
Quote from: demik;541302
Stick to your Original design. If somebody wants something extra they can find a way to do it themselves.

Everybody wants all the bells and whistles but everybody wants to pay under 100 too.

I agree with this can't please everyone. I think the best way is to keep the price as low as possible and let the end user add anything to it. Because if not you will just have people arguing over all of that too.

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 19:10:12 »
Quote from: lightsout714;541345
I agree with this can't please everyone. I think the best way is to keep the price as low as possible and let the end user add anything to it. Because if not you will just have people arguing over all of that too.

Yea, I pretty much agree here as well. Though I will say, the place whiskerbox linked is only like 20mins from my house, and I'm on spring break all this week. I may head over there some time this week and ask about pricing and such.

Offline Elrobo

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 20:09:49 »
Keep it cheap and simple, if I want extra stuff I'll have more money left over to get it done myself.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 20:59:44 »
I am sorry I didn't mean to make this more stressful. I think your doing an amazing job. :)
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 21:49:05 »
Quote from: NorrisB;541897
nice thread http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/eddie84/OCN/Mech%20keyboard%20club/KBC%20Poker/Poker%20case/DSC06748.jpg

do you ever get these?

Hmm? I don't have one of imsto's cases if that's what you're asking.

---

I found a better place to get the screws. First place I found had them for 50 cents each at a local hobby shop. Then I checked the distributor itself to cut out the middle man and they had it for 34 cents, but then Amazon has them for 9 cents each lol http://www.amazon.com/Plated-Machine-Binding-Slotted-Length/dp/B000MN6SWE/ref=sr_1_19?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1331437317&sr=1-19

There were some industrial suppliers that I looked at but most either didn't have this 3/8" length that I was looking for or would be far much more of a hassle for being 7 cents each instead.

That will save me quite a bit on the screws, especially if somebody in the US orders all the ones that would be needed for the cases destined for there, since you can get free shipping in the US whereas I have to pay $10.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 23:48:12 »
Quote from: oneproduct;541916

I found a better place to get the screws. First place I found had them for 50 cents each at a local hobby shop. Then I checked the distributor itself to cut out the middle man and they had it for 34 cents, but then Amazon has them for 9 cents each lol http://www.amazon.com/Plated-Machine-Binding-Slotted-Length/dp/B000MN6SWE/ref=sr_1_19?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1331437317&sr=1-19

There were some industrial suppliers that I looked at but most either didn't have this 3/8" length that I was looking for or would be far much more of a hassle for being 7 cents each instead.

That will save me quite a bit on the screws, especially if somebody in the US orders all the ones that would be needed for the cases destined for there, since you can get free shipping in the US whereas I have to pay $10.

I have free 2 day shipping with my student account through amazon. I could do it :)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #159 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 00:02:47 »
Well, it would probably have to be the person who is also going to do US distribution of the cases, unless you also feel like doing that.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #160 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 00:07:53 »
Quote from: oneproduct;541992
Well, it would probably have to be the person who is also going to do US distribution of the cases, unless you also feel like doing that.

I'm down to do that; Cleveland is pretty central US. Not sure if you would want a more senior member to do it, though.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 00:10:26 »
If you run off with the cases I'll have your shipping address and I'll let the other US geekhackers with guns deal with you. ;)

Haha, in seriousness though I guess we'll see later on who'll be handling it.

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 00:15:23 »
Yea, they'll have to take the cases "from my cold dead hands" lol. It's all good; if nobody else steps forward, I'm up for it, but we'll just wait and see.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 03:05:12 »
i may be able to arrange for further production to be done on US-bound cases if i end up serving as distribution point. i'm busy for the rest of the weekend but please PM me when you get the estimate, oneproduct.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline suprsmo

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 05:56:43 »
Quote from: metafour;533857
I'd be in for one aluminum if it's around $100. If I can get two for around that price then I'd take two.

Pretty much this^^, and I can't decide on either aluminum or steel. would have to see how the end up and colouring options. Anodised etc.
Poker
QFR

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 08:43:50 »
There probably won't be any anodizing done so it will look like the exterior surface seen in the video. The steel one would be about 3 times heavier than the aluminum one and steel is a deeper color.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #166 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 09:13:07 »
Quote from: oneproduct;542162
There probably won't be any anodizing done so it will look like the exterior surface seen in the video. The steel one would be about 3 times heavier than the aluminum one and steel is a deeper color.

I got a friend that does chrome dipping if anyone wants to have a bling poker case :D

Sent from a phone...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 20:23:35 »
So can anybody tell me how thick the walls are on imsto's cases? I'm going to visit them again tomorrow and it would be something to consider. If you have any other concerns feel free to put them out there as well.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #168 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 20:25:47 »
ill get my tape measure and tell you in a minute

3/16
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2012, 20:29:37 by demik »

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 20:43:31 »
Perfect, that's exactly what I was already doing then.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #170 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 02:58:56 »
I like the bead blasted finish.  I was skeptical at first about how the welded edges would look, but they look pretty good.  I like the broad curves too.  They give it a unique look.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 03:03:24 »
If I you go with steel, we can just use magnetic feet :high5:
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline JohnDiew0107

• Pew Pew Pew
    • http://www.johndiew.com/
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 03:53:57 »
this is awesome!! need worldwide shipment
Leopold FC500RR/EB Reds | PLUM Morphling MX96 Blues | VorTex POKER PBT Ghetto-Greens | Ducky DK-9008G2 PBT Reds

Offline skeaono

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 05:48:57 »
That bead blasted finish looks a whole lot better than I expected, definitely interested.

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 11:18:35 »
This is probably a dumb question but how do I get a keyboard that looks similar to this?  http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/eddie84/OCN/Mech%20keyboard%20club/KBC%20Poker/Poker%20case/DSC06748.jpg  (grey case is fine)

This thread is just for the case right?  So Id buy the case from you and than buy the main keyboard where exactly?
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2012, 11:23:46 by NorrisB »

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 11:38:58 »
The keyboard is a KBC Poker, you can get them from a number of places currently.

ebay
qtan's shop
taobao has them cheap, but at the cost of convenience and a lonnnnnng time in transit. And you need to use an agent like taobaobee

I'm sure there are others.

edit: the keycaps are doubleshots, but I couldn't tell you much more than that.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2012, 11:44:04 by emptythecache »

Offline snowboarder3

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 11:44:19 »
Quote from: NorrisB;543321
This is probably a dumb question but how do I get a keyboard that looks similar to this?  http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/eddie84/OCN/Mech%20keyboard%20club/KBC%20Poker/Poker%20case/DSC06748.jpg  (grey case is fine)

This thread is just for the case right?  So Id buy the case from you and than buy the main keyboard where exactly?

that is a poker w an imsto anodized case. unfortunately, you wont be able to find something that petty

edit: too slow, damn new kb layout

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 11:46:05 »
just want to confirm to folks: if i'm US distributor, i can get cases powdercoated or anodized (personally, i prefer powdercoat) before sending them out for additional cost. it looks like i'll have plenty of options. if people are interested, and oneproduct's ok with sending to the west coast, i can look into costs etc.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 12:15:40 »
I went to go give him a visit and did a few things:

1. Told him to make the USB cut out just a square.
2. Made the USB cut out bigger. You can just fit the plastic part of the male side into the hole now.
3. Told him to raise the walls 1 mm to make sure that they align with the bottom of the keycaps or a touch higher. (better a bit too high than a bit too low)
4. Cut out the rubber like material that goes between the PCB and the aluminum insert and screwed it all together to make sure it works. So now we have PCB mounted switches but a plate mounted PCB. :)
5. Confirmed that the aluminum is 5052, which is good for anodizing if you want to do it later.
6. Weighed it in at 1 pound, 14 ounces. That's with the case and metal insert but not the keyboard.

A few new things to mention:
1. After speaking with him about quotes, there will NOT be any done in steel. Apparently when you work with steel the dust that flies off contaminates other materials so they cut steel in a different location. So because of this they will all have to be aluminum. Since a lot of people said they wanted it in steel, I will ask again once I get quotes to see if they would want to switch to aluminum or just bail out.
2. Only the outside of the case will be glass beaded, the inside will retain the normal shiny surface and you would be able to see the weld marks on the inside if you removed the keyboard from the case.
3. To attach the metal insert to the case itself, there were two options. The first is you "tack" it to the case, which is just spot welding a few places. The second is that you use a metal-to-metal adhesive and glue the two pieces together, which would be done by myself rather than by them. He recommended I do it this second way and that it would be cheaper, so that is likely how it will be done.

I'll be visiting again Friday most likely and he should have a quote for me by then. I took some more pictures and videos of these little things I did and will put them up later tonight.

Offline seferphier

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 12:17:51 »
Quote from: mkawa;543350
just want to confirm to folks: if i'm US distributor, i can get cases powdercoated or anodized (personally, i prefer powdercoat) before sending them out for additional cost. it looks like i'll have plenty of options. if people are interested, and oneproduct's ok with sending to the west coast, i can look into costs etc.

sounds good to me.

is powder coated similar to the effect of the youtube clip? if so then it might not be needed.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 12:28:28 »
powdercoating is a painting process and gives more options for finish and color. anodizing is bonded to the surface layer of the metal and should be cheaper, but doesn't allow for things like matte finishes etc.

depending on what oneproduct's estimates come in for, it may be hard to do either at under the 100$ price point. we will see this week.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 12:37:23 »
I want gunmetal or navy blue anodized, or similar. I'm not super picky, but if I end up having a vote on color(s), that's where I'm at.

Offline Elrobo

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 12:52:55 »
Thanks for the updates oneproduct, sounds good.

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 13:06:23 »
Bummer about no more steel, but I'm still in. thanks for the update.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 13:13:02 »
Everything is sounding good. I'm really anxious to hear the price myself.

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 15:48:29 »
Quote from: emptythecache;543341
The keyboard is a KBC Poker, you can get them from a number of places currently.

ebay
qtan's shop
taobao has them cheap, but at the cost of convenience and a lonnnnnng time in transit. And you need to use an agent like taobaobee

I'm sure there are others.

edit: the keycaps are doubleshots, but I couldn't tell you much more than that.

could you point me in the right direction for the keycaps not sure where you get those

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 17:24:44 »
Like I said, not 100% what kind of doubleshots or where from, but there is a group buy for doubleshots right now. Several styles too. You could also try the classifieds. Make a WTB thread.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 17:30:30 »
the keycaps are cherry corp doubleshots. ascaii said he'll be doing a group buy in the coming weeks on deskthority. that might be your best chance at getting a set.

Offline metafour

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 17:34:17 »
In the video the top edge of the case has the weld marks still visible. Since you stated only the outside of the case will be finished and the weld marks on the inside of the case will still be visible does this include the top of the walls of the case?

Not a dealbreaker but I would just like to look into what I would need to do on my end to finish off the tops edges if they're not finished like the outside surface area.

Thanks!

Offline 500_pts

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 20:30:03 »
probably in for one, would love to see some anodizing though :)
REALFORCE 86u | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL| Filco TKL | Leopold TKL | KBT Race

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 20:34:00 »
Quote from: metafour;543737
In the video the top edge of the case has the weld marks still visible. Since you stated only the outside of the case will be finished and the weld marks on the inside of the case will still be visible does this include the top of the walls of the case?

Not a dealbreaker but I would just like to look into what I would need to do on my end to finish off the tops edges if they're not finished like the outside surface area.

Thanks!

Yea, to keep costs as low as possible I told them to just do the outside surface since the inside isn't even visible. The weld marks on the top edges really aren't that pronounced as you can see in the pictures, but it would probably be as simple as going over it with a metal file if you wanted to try to hide it more.

I wanted to upload some more pictures and videos right now but my brother is playing DotA2 right now and it lags too much if I do, so I'll have to wait for him to finish. :P

I managed to sneak this one through between games though:

[video=youtube;47p43RY9rNc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47p43RY9rNc[/video]

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 20:39:56 »
Nice. I like how no matter how disassembled your poker is, you still have that full nyanset on, lol.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #192 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 20:48:46 »
ok, so from what i've seen my plan for units i distributed (and for mine, damnit), would be to get painting/anodizing done and to get a polymer sheet laser cut for to go between the mounting plate and pcb. otherwise it looks pretty good.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 20:53:38 »
you're doing a great job OP!

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #194 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 20:55:28 »
Quote from: mkawa;543980
ok, so from what i've seen my plan for units i distributed (and for mine, damnit), would be to get painting/anodizing done and to get a polymer sheet laser cut for to go between the mounting plate and pcb. otherwise it looks pretty good.

Yea, I like the sound of that. If I have to get an aluminum one, I think I will want some type of finish on it. I would even be cool with shipping my case over to you after I receive it from whoever ends up distributing in the US. Just have to see how this all pans out...

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 21:19:32 »
The prototype was quickly adjusted by hand to make this cut so it's not square and is much larger than it would be on the final one (you can see part of the horizontal line where the cut is planned to stop). It will just fit the black plastic bit of the male end of the USB cable plus a tiny bit of wiggle room.

[video=youtube;pFQZyD-FAdk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQZyD-FAdk[/video]

Weighs in at 1 pound, 14 ounces without the keyboard inside
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43838[/ATTACH]

Making the USB cutout square and a bit bigger
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43839[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43846[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43844[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43845[/ATTACH]

Shots while mounted
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43840[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43841[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43842[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43843[/ATTACH]

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 21:26:36 »
Great job mate, coming along nicely, can't wait to piss off the flimsy plastic poker case :)
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 21:33:05 »
i'm not crazy about the fastener setup. those screws will be harder than the retainer plate, and with the imprecise mounting system if you strip the mounting holes you are "screwed", so to speak.

also that is heavy as crap!

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 21:37:49 »
Quote from: mkawa;544018
i'm not crazy about the fastener setup. those screws will be harder than the retainer plate, and with the imprecise mounting system if you strip the mounting holes you are "screwed", so to speak.

also that is heavy as crap!

Any suggestions?

Yup, it weighs 30 ounces vs a Filco TKL's 35.2 ounces.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2012, 21:41:31 by oneproduct »

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #199 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 21:48:19 »
Quote from: mkawa;544018

Not really helping the problem, but I remember this was a pretty common problem back when I used to play paintball. Typically the aluminum frame of the guns were much softer than the screws and a little too much force turned into an expensive mistake. You just have to be extra careful, lol.