Author Topic: Any "Hardy Heron" adopters out there?  (Read 3364 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Any "Hardy Heron" adopters out there?
« on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 06:22:29 »
Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) was recently released.  

Check it.

I'm reinstalling my ThinkPad right now.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 08:49:29 »
Cool, I was running 7.10 and upgraded to the 8.04 beta. By the time 8.04 shipped I was already there. Its really nice to be able to upgrade the system without having to do a complete reinstall.

I have a 7.10 server I will try that on next. The upgrade path and package management are some real bright spots with debian based distros.

Overall, 8.04 is not a great leap forward from the previous, but none of them really are. If you like Gnome, then ubuntu is a fine choice to work with.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline iMav

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 09:42:17 »
I actually use the new release as an excuse to do a fresh install.  Not because I feel my systems need it...but simply because I enjoy the process.  (workstations only, not my servers typically)

The geekhack server (well, it's not exclusively dedicated to geekhack  ;)  ) has been on vanilla Debian going on two years now.  Over the years, the server (in one iteration or another) has been on several distros (including redhat, turbolinux, slackware, and SuSE)...but for the past several years (prior to the move to Debian), I was a big Gentoo fan.  But I simply came to the realization that hardware is fast enough these days that compiling everything from source simply wasn't  worth the minimal performance gain.  So now I happily update in a minute or two what used to take a half an hour or more.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 11:09:37 »
I'll be doing the update from the beta soon.  Still working on a full time vmware server in my spare time at home.

Free time at home:  Between 8-11 minutes on a Saturday.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 12:37:08 »
Quote from: ashort
Free time at home:  Between 8-11 minutes on a Saturday.

And who's fault is that??  :)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 13:21:59 »
I did a fresh install on my wifes machine, I built her a new box and will use her old box as an asterisk server. Anyways, the cool thing I noticed was that it only took about 20 minutes to do a fresh install of 8.04. I think that was faster than 7.10.......

Offline iMav

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 13:33:49 »
Quote from: bigpook;4324
Anyways, the cool thing I noticed was that it only took about 20 minutes to do a fresh install of 8.04. I think that was faster than 7.10.......

People who say linux isn't ready for the desktop are, largely, misinformed.

I just recently deployed Ubuntu on a laptop for my uncle (who is about as technologically stunted as they come).  He is loving it.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 13:59:50 »
Quote from: iMav;4326
People who say linux isn't ready for the desktop are, largely, misinformed.

I just recently deployed Ubuntu on a laptop for my uncle (who is about as technologically stunted as they come).  He is loving it.

Well, I do agree that linux is ready for the desktop. Thats all I run at the house, I do have a winxp box for games though.

My wife prefers linux over windows, she says it looks cleaner. Whatever that means.

The problem for desktop linux now is the lack of applications that most people are used to. I have friends that use photoshop, dreamweaver, visio etc....

My laptop at work runs xp, I have room to dual boot linux but don't. I program phone switches for a living and all of my apps are windows only. It is highly unlikely that the our pbx vendor will release a native linux app.

I can  hope though......

I think xp is awful to look at and I truly hate having to use it. Just wanted to get my bias way out there so there is no confusion : ) The whole microsoft experience leaves me cold.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 15:06:59 »
You won't find too many fans of Windows here.

Offline jemkeys

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 15:31:12 »
I'm a windows XP fan.  I tried ubuntu and it ran slower than my streamlined version of xp.
(I cut all the junk out of XP with n-something... can't remember the name)

That, and I play alot of games.  Can't run COD4, C&C3, Phantasy Star Online, or any other cool games on Linux.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 20:26:56 »
Games are a big issue, no doubt, but they are not a priority for me. I have an xp box for games and haven't turned it on in 2 weeks.... but I have spent whole weekends playing battlefield 2.

Ubuntu runs quite well for me though. I have empathy for those that have difficulty with it. If you are a new user it can be daunting. But whatever.....

After reading my previous post I want to make clear that my desktop usage is fairly limited. I don't use photoshop, visio, etc....it's mostly web,mail, music and videos. So its not like I am missing out on a whole lot.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 23:25:22 »
Quote from: jemkeys;4330
I'm a windows XP fan.  I tried ubuntu and it ran slower than my streamlined version of xp.
(I cut all the junk out of XP with n-something... can't remember the name)

nLite.

your welcome.  =-D
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline djones

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 May 2008, 13:42:59 »
I'll probably try kubuntu because i want to see if KDE 4 is all that it's hyped up to be.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 May 2008, 14:06:25 »
From what I understand its still a little rough around the edges, ymmv....

I have used KDE and it is a good desktop, you can tweak just about anything. I use Gnome now, its easier on the eyes and simpler to use, at least for me.

Offline iMav

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 May 2008, 06:19:53 »
I used to be a diehard FVWM v.1 user.  When major distributions stopped including it in favor of v.2 (and well after version 1.x had been put to bed) I would compile from source and happily use my antiquated desktop.  :)

I had a two year love affair with IceWM...but Gnome suits me just fine right now.