Author Topic: Making a HiPro Compatible 87u via Plate Modification  (Read 2526 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Making a HiPro Compatible 87u via Plate Modification
« on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 18:44:53 »
First off, there was another post that discussed many of the same things I will discuss here, so here's the link
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63320.0

I have also published this guide on KeyChatter that includes a few more pics and such: https://www.keychatter.com/?p=8567&preview=true

The Topre 87U is unquestionably my favorite TKL of all time. Unfortunately with Topre, keycap options are quite limited. I am also a huge fan of high profile caps, such as SA profile caps, and luckily Topre actually makes a full size keyboard called the HiPro that features high profile dye-subbed PBT keycaps. So, if you have the money to buy both, you can simply swap out the caps, right?

Unfortunately, no. Because the HiPro only comes in a full size variant, like all full size Topre boards, the status indicator lights (Caps, Scroll, Num) are above the numpad. The 87U, due to not having room at the top of the case for these lights, uses under switch LEDs.  Due to the position of these LED's the bottom left CTRL key features a special slider, and slider housing, to accommodate for the indicator LED (on the 87U Caps and CTRL can be swapped via a DIP switch, and in that case there is a Caps LED where CTRL normally is). Because of that, only keys made for the 87U, and that left hand slot can be used in that location. Here a visual example of the difference:

As you can see, the left slider and left windowed keycap, have stems that go in the opposite direction of all the other stems on the board, which are like the other stem pictured. To further complicate matters, the housings is also different.

As you can see, the left slider and left windowed keycap, have stems that go in the opposite direction of all the other stems on the board, which are like the other stem pictured. To further complicate matters, the housings is also different.

The left CTRL housing has a cut off corner, thus turning the housing 90 degrees, or swapping out the housing all together is not possible.

Now, there are a few solutions to this issue, with the first being to modify the keycap stem, or 3D print a new slider for that location. Cutting the keycap stem off was simply not an option for me. I feel like there is a huge possibility of making a mistake and ending up with a keycap that doesn't sit properly, or simply doesn't lock in place at all. I decided the best course of action was to simply modify the plate to allow the housing to be turned 90 degrees, allowing me to keep my keycaps stock and allowing me to very easily swap the entire housing back if I ever wanted to make the 87U stock again.

To do this, I simply used the grinder on my Dremel tool. Cutting the plate was extremely easy to do and came out looking rather good. I could have sanded it down slightly more, but I wanted the housing to snap into place and not be loose either, so once the housing fit I didn't shave any more of the plate off.

Now that my slider was in alignment with all of the others I simply needed to desolder the LED from the PCB. With the housing turned, the LED hit the bottom of the housing. This was a very easy process, and the LED came out without any issues.

After that I simply put the keyboard back together, and put on my fresh caps. In this example, I used caps from a 104US and swapped out the sliders for purple silenced sliders, as I no longer have any HiPro caps at the moment. The 104US caps would have the same compatibility issues as the HiPro caps though, and still are a good example.

<- My Collection (so far)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
Re: Making a HiPro Compatible 87u via Plate Modification
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 14:20:06 »
Thanks for sharing this. I've known for some time that this was easily possible (since when I opened up my 87u board for a dome swap) and I'm glad to see someone has done this successfully.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 14:46:09 »
Thanks for sharing this. I've known for some time that this was easily possible (since when I opened up my 87u board for a dome swap) and I'm glad to see someone has done this successfully.

I never really thought about this much, or looked into solutions when I was first attempting a swap a while back. I opened up my old 87U and attempted to flip the slider, saw the way it was in and though "Damn", closed the board back up and kind of forgot about it.

This was an obvious solution i cant believe I didn't think of right away -_-

Offline yomammary

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 07:16:48 »
Do any of you know if [CTRL]ALT will be providing a stem for the LCTRL key or I'll have to use the dremel? :rolleyes:
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 10:59:57 »
Do any of you know if [CTRL]ALT will be providing a stem for the LCTRL key or I'll have to use the dremel? :rolleyes:

Uh, for MX sliders it shouldnt matter as they will fit no matter what direction I would assume. Now, you may have to desolder the LED still, but thats not a huge deal

Offline yomammary

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 12:46:38 »

Uh, for MX sliders it shouldnt matter as they will fit no matter what direction I would assume. Now, you may have to desolder the LED still, but thats not a huge deal
Sorry I had a brain fart, you're right.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800