Author Topic: Novatouch TKL review  (Read 6877 times)

Offline Zar7

Novatouch TKL review
« on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 02:34:28 »
Greetings Geekhack! This is Zar7, and I am back again with another mechanical keyboard review. Today I am going to review Cooler Master’s premium mechanical keyboard, equipped with Hybrid Capacitative Switches (Topre), the Novatouch TKL.

CM Novatouch TKL

Introduction
The Novatouch TKL is a premium TKL mechanical keyboard from Cooler Master. It was designed in collaboration with Topre Corporation, producing a unique Hybrid Capacitative switches that combines traditional Topre’s circular stem with Cherry MX’s stem. The result is a purple stem that is essentially a Topre switch, but with Cherry MX’s stem at its core, allowing users to customize the Novatouch’s keycaps with any Cherry MX keycaps set available. This is the central selling point for the Novatouch, as it is (at the time) the first and only Hybrid Capacitative mechanical keyboard in the world. Hybrid Capacitative is the term used by Cooler Master as a way of distinguishing the unique hybrid switches that combines the attributes of both Topre and Cherry MX. The design for Topre’s Hybrid Capacitative switches would later be utilized by Topre Corp. for their new Topre Realforce RGB. The same hybrid design was also commonly used by other manufacturers, albeit not bearing Topre’s name (mainly because they are copies of the original design). 

Let us start the review!

Packaging
Cooler Master has done an amazing job with the packaging for the Novatouch TKL. The box it came with looks and feel premium, with magnetic flaps to secure the packaging. I love the styling on the packaging, because it is stealthy and mostly black in colour. As you open the premium box, the Novatouch TKL lies peacefully, ready to be woken up from its slumber. Underneath the keyboard you can find a wire keycap-puller (awesome addition), a bag of O-rings, and the mini-USB connection to power the keyboard. The packaging earns my highest rating for its professional look, and premium feel.

Core Design
Simplicity is the key concept behind the Novatouch’s design. It looks exactly like a CM Storm Rapid-i, albeit without any backlighting whatsoever (not even on the caps lock, scroll lock and Windows lock). The entire keyboard feels solid and has a nice heft to it.

The top surface of the Novatouch is made of high quality plastic, which has a slight rubbery feel to it. Thankfully it is not as rubbery as the Rapidfire or the Rapid-i, which makes it highly resistant to fingerprints. Since this is a TKL, there is no numpad on the right side of the board, which reduces the footprint. This compact design is very welcome as it frees up a lot of space on your desk.

Unfortunately, there is not a single LED on the keyboard. Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and even Windows Lock has has no LED indicators, which makes it hard to indicate whether we have Caps Lock on or off. The only way to test out the Windows Lock is by holding Func+F9, and press the Windows key. Personally, I love the minimalist no-LED-whatsoever design, but for some people it may bother them a bit. It’s not a major issue but it is worth pointing out.

As mentioned, the keyboard comes with a lot of features that makes it stand out among other Topre keyboards. First and foremost, it has N-Key Rollover, which registers the key no matter how many keys are simultaneously pressed. Normally, Topre keyboards such as the HHKB Pro 2 and Topre Realforce only have 6-key rollover.

The Novatouch has a Windows Lock function, so you can disable the Windows key to avoid kicking yourself out from your favourite games.

The stabilizers on the Novatouch is a little bit different than other Topre keyboards. Regular Topre keyboards usually have only the circular stem to balance the keycaps, but the Novatouch has a semi-circular stabilizers that on each side of the switch, essentially acting like a Cherry MX stabilizers. Personally I feel no difference between this design and my Leopold FC660C and HKKB Pro 2. The only difference is it rattles a little bit (fixed by using the included O-rings)

The keyboard comes with a detachable braided USB cable that terminates in a micro-USB. I was hoping Cooler Master would actually use Mini-B instead for the connection, but it is no big deal. As for the positioning of the USB port, it was located on the outside shell of the keyboard, on the right-hand side.

Underneath the keyboard, there are four rubber pads to grip whatever surface it is on. The ends of the flip-out feets are also coated in rubber, which should prevent the Novatouch from sliding around on your desk.

The stock keycaps are acceptable, but not great. The keycaps are ABS and quite thin, so if you find yourself using it constantly, you can actually notice that the legends wear off very, very quickly. However, by having stock ABS keycaps, the price point for the Novatouch is actually lower than other Topre boards with stock PBT keycaps (such as the Leopold FC660C, HHKB Pro 2 and Topre Realforce 87u). This means that CM knew we are going to replace the keycaps anyway. Thankfully, with the Hybrid Capacitative design, we can swap the stock keycaps with pretty much any aftermarket keycaps out there. My personal favourite is Vortex Doubleshot PBT keycaps with blue infill. It just looks really good with the Novatouch’s black case. And the “thock” sound man. The thocks are over 9000!!!

Typing Experience
Typing experience is where the Novatouch shines. CM called it the “ultimate typing experience” and I can fully agree to that statement. The Hybrid Capacitative Topre switches are incredibly smooth, responsive, and satisfying to type on. Just like any Topre keyboard, each and every keystrokes is buttery smooth, and the “thock” sound it makes is so satisfying to the ears. Some people prefer their spacebar to be slightly heavier than the rest, but I removed the spring underneath the spacebar because I like it better that way.

With the stock keycaps on, the typing experience is already miles ahead from any Cherry MX switches I have experienced. With my Vortex Doubleshot PBT keycaps and the supplied O-rings, the typing experience is just heavenly. I cannot describe with words just how smooth each and every keystroke is. After using the Hybrid Capacitative Topre switches for several weeks as my main driver, all of my Cherry MX keyboards felt inferior when it comes to typing. 

Gaming Performance
I tested the keyboard on games such as Counter Strike Global Offensive, GTA Online and Assassin's Creed Syndicate. As expected out of a premium mechanical keyboard, the Novatouch TKL performs extremely well, and it is hyper responsive to each and every action and keypresses made. With the N-Key Rollover and Windows Lock function, gaming is very, very comfortable with the Novatouch TKL. Despite its responsiveness and smooth action though, I still prefer my Cherry MX Red switches and my Kailh Red switches for gaming.

Switches
When it comes to Topre, you know it is going to be good. Originally a skeptic of Topre’s superior feel, I actually tried out my friend’s Leopold FC660C, and completely fell in love with just how smooth and solid the experience was. I immediately purchased my first ever Topre mechanical keyboard, the Leopold FC660C, and shortly after that, I purchased the Novatouch TKL brand new and the HHKB Pro 2 from a close friend of mine.

The Hybrid Capacitative Topre switches are incredibly smooth, solid and durable. The added bonus of Cherry MX compatibility is absolutely wonderful. It has always concerned me that Topre keyboards have limited options when it comes to aftermarket keycaps (not to mention they are mostly expensive), but the Novatouch breaks that norm for Topre keyboards. Exactly thirty minutes of using the stock keycaps on the Novatouch, I immediately changed it to my current keycaps, the Vortex Doubleshot PBTs. While swapping each keycaps out, I made sure to apply the supplied O-rings to each and every keys. Since mine came pre-lubed (courtesy of a very dear friend of mine), the difference is absolutely astonishing. The “thock” sound is much deeper than it was, and the feel improved significantly versus stock.

As compared to my Leopold FC660C and HHKB Pro 2, I am confident enough to say that the Novatouch is my favourite one, with the FC660C coming second and the HHKB coming third. The switches are not as soft as the HHKB Pro 2, but it is a bit softer than the FC660C (despite the fact that all three are uniform 45g Topre). Don’t get me wrong, all three of my Topre mechanical keyboards are awesome in their own right. To be fair, my Novatouch is modded (lubed, thick PBT keycaps, O-rings), whilst my HHKB Pro 2 and Leopold FC660C is in their stock configuration. Also, I feel like the Novatouch and the FC660C has a bit more solid typing feel compared to the HHKB, mainly because of the plate-mounting (as opposed to HHKB’s case-mounting).

Function Keys
F1, F2, F3 and F4   : Controls repeat rate from 1x (default), 2x, 4x and 8x respectively.
F5, F6, F7 and F8   : Controls play/pause, stop, previous track and next track respectively.
F9                      : Windows Lock Key/Gaming Key
F10, F11 and F12   : Controls mute, volume down and volume up respectively

Conclusion:
I would like to thank Cooler Master for producing such a fine Topre mechanical keyboard. The Hybrid Capacitative design of the switches is exemplary, and the ability to swap keycaps on Topre boards are a dream come true. It is a shame that CM discontinued the Novatouch.
Overall, the Novatouch TKL is a solid choice for typing, gaming and professional use. It provides a heavenly typing experience, responsive gaming experience, and exemplary customization for users. I am glad that I was actually able to secure a Novatouch for myself. All the modifications done to it is definitely worth it!

COOLER MASTER NOVATOUCH TKL V2
I have several suggestions for the Novatouch TKL, that might just make it the best Topre mechanical keyboards around.
The suggestions and rationale are listed below:

The Hybrid Capacitative Topre switches are near flawless. A little bit of improvement can be made to make it rattles less, but other than that, the hybrid design should stay for the V2. The ability to customize your own keycaps is definitely a highlight here. The 45g weighting should not be changed.

The stock keycaps should be replaced with stock thick doubleshot PBT keycaps. I understand that it might increase the price point, but it is a change that has been requested a lot by Novatouch users (myself included). However, if all other changes are made for the V2, then this one can be skipped for the sake of lowering the price point.

The surface finish for the Novatouch can be improved for the V2. The best example of a surface finish that I can provide is Leopold’s FC750R. The matte, slightly rough finish is perfect because it does not attract fingerprints and oils from your fingers (at all).

The placement for the USB connection port should be changed. Instead of leaving it jutting out from the back of the board, reposition it to the underside of the keyboard, complete with cable routing channels.

The USB connection type should be changed from Micro to Mini-B, as Mini-B is the standard connection type for mechanical keyboards.

The no-LED approach should not be changed. Keep the design as simple as possible.

For complete satisfaction, the Novatouch should come with a carrying case or bag for it. (optional)

Extra:
The Novatouch V2 should be released with three different versions (with suggested MSRP in brackets):
Novatouch TKL V2    - Stock thick doubleshot PBT keycaps, no backlighting whatsoever ($200)
Novatouch TKL V2-i    - Stock doubleshot ABS keycaps, with white backlighting ($225)
Novatouch TKL RGB   - Stock doubleshot ABS keycaps, with RGB backlighting ($250)

Offline CapnHighlands

Re: Novatouch TKL review
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 12:12:08 »
This is a great, well-written review that makes me curious about trying a Novatouch. I have tried Topres before but 45g isn't heavy enough and I haven't been able to type on a 55g.

I really wish they made a 60% Novatouch, as a TKL is just too large for me. Glad you like it though, and these boards have definitely been a success story.

Offline Zar7

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 14:59:08 »
Thanks man, I appreciate that! I agree with you. Some of my friends were in the same boat. 45g seems to be too light for them but 55g is too heavy and tiring to type on. I tried both 55g and 45g, and I preferred 45g more, mainly because it is light enough for me. 55g weighting feels great to type on, but again, my fingers tire quicker whenever I am typing on them.

Even 45g boards feels differently from one another. The HHKB Pro 2 feels the lightest for me, followed by the Novatouch TKL and FC660C.
I agree! 60% Novatouch TKL would be so awesome!

Personally TKL is perfect for me.
Hopefully Cooler Master read my suggestion and reintroduce the Novatouch in different sizes and configurations.

Offline Viking_Robot

• Flickr
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 13:52:02 »
I almost pulled the trigger a couple of times on Orig with the Aluminum case.  Hopefully i can continue to resist.
Current Keyboards - TGR Jane CE WKL Blue Grey | TGR Jane v2 CE | TGR 910 RE | TGR 910 SE | TGR Alice/Police | TGR Tris | Keycult No2 TKL | Keycult No2 65 | Duck Octagon v3 Black | Duck Orion v3 WKL Silver |

Flickr

Offline gallowgeek

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 06:16:05 »
I am intrigued about these Topre switches and I think that I am going to try them out. Thank you for the well-written review! :D

Offline Zar7

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 01:27:35 »
Yeah, I got mine from Originative as well. Was thinking about getting the Nova with Norbauer's aluminium case, but it was too expensive for me.
Topre switches are a joy to use, especially if you spend a lot of time typing (or gaming).

I am currently an undergraduate student, so I do type a lot for my assignments. Of course, as soon as I get back home, I would usually start gaming.
I really appreciate the comments guys. Thanks again.