Author Topic: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - 100% Shipped - Cleaning up  (Read 304591 times)

Offline HotRoderX

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Accepting orders until December 1st
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 18:30:00 »
Never built a keeb before so maybe this is stupid, but for the bent plate kit, do i still need to get stabilizers? and if I buy purple LED's, would those be put on the underside of the PCB for a purple underglow? I saw that the PCB has underglow but I still not sure if that means I need to provide the LED's for said underglow!

thanks any and all for the help!

Don't quote me on this but 99.9% sure you wouldn't need to add LED's for the under glow. it should be pre soldered with SMD's. I think thats what there called... and you would need stabilizers that I know for a fact. I am not sure thought if you need plate are pcb stabilizers are if it matter.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 21:53:46 »
AU and NZ on Taobao??? I don't speak Chinese! I can't order from there? Can I use the USA proxy?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92344.msg2516180#msg2516180

Yes, but the shipping will be higher.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 22:45:39 »
Can anyone confirm the translation from Chinese on Taobao:
1) "85SP PCB" = GB - Southpaw Extended 65% - PCB;
2) "Stainless steel closure shell 85SP"= GB - Southpaw Extended 65% - Integrated Case;
3) "85SP stainless steel are bend nuda"  :)  = GB - Southpaw Extended 65% - Bent Plate MX.
Having to translate Taobao in English is so frustrating.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 23:25:29 »
2) "Stainless steel closure shell 85SP"= GB - Southpaw Extended 65% - Integrated Case;
3) "85SP stainless steel are bend nuda"  :)  = GB - Southpaw Extended 65% - Bent Plate MX.

I'm looking at it with Google translate.  I believe the Taobao options are:

"85SP PCB" = the PCB only (no case)
"85SP anodized aluminum housing" = the anodized aluminum case (no pcb, no plate)
"85SP MX stainless steel positioning plate" = cherry MX plate for the aluminum case, in stainless steel
"85SP ALPS stainless steel positioning plate" = alps plate for the aluminum case, in stainless steel
"85SP stainless steel bending light shell" = bent plate case
"85SP stainless steel enclosure" = integrated steel case

If you click on each of the options on the Taobao page to see the price, the prices for each item match the switchplate.co prices, so you can double check the translations that way.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 16:22:44 »
Does the PCB support holtite?

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 20:21:46 »
Does the PCB support holtite?

No holtites for this once since the pads are oval to accommodate alps and mx switches. 
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 21:02:34 »
joined! can't wait!   :D

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 00:47:13 »
There's no distinction between the MX bent plate and ALPS bent plate in the Taobao link as in the Switchplate link. I would like some clarification before submitting the order. I'm going for the MX option by the way.
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 19:31:15 »
There's no distinction between the MX bent plate and ALPS bent plate in the Taobao link as in the Switchplate link. I would like some clarification before submitting the order. I'm going for the MX option by the way.

The taobao page won't have any links for colors or specs. You'll have to make an order with the respective items and put in the comment section for which exact plate you want. I know it's not really that well designed but it was slightly rushed as I wanted to get the GB moving.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 19:34:50 »

The taobao page won't have any links for colors or specs. You'll have to make an order with the respective items and put in the comment section for which exact plate you want. I know it's not really that well designed but it was slightly rushed as I wanted to get the GB moving.

Any other alternatives for Australia? I don't want to use taobao . I can't read it. I had problems in the past with communication.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 19:36:34 »

Any other alternatives for Australia? I don't want to use taobao . I can't read it. I had problems in the past with communication.

I'm willing to take international orders through switchplate, but just keep in mind that the taobao proxy is there to keep shipping costs down. If you don't mind paying a little more for shipping, I can take your order and ship it to you from the US.

switchplate.co

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 22:22:11 »
Where is the switch located for the 6u spacebar layout? Is it center stem or offset?

Is it GMK sets that only have centered 6u and the other profiles are usually offset? Can't remember right now.

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 02:55:51 »
Can you do mixed layouts like short left shift, and ansi enter? And split space bar is that possible?
TP4 fanboy

Offline llisandro

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 05:41:59 »
Oh man this looks nice!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 08:21:35 »
Where is the switch located for the 6u spacebar layout? Is it center stem or offset?

Is it GMK sets that only have centered 6u and the other profiles are usually offset? Can't remember right now.

GMK has used offset until some recent sets which started offering centered.  For DSA, it is center stemmed but the stabilizer stems are much closer together than standard.  XDA is offset.  Dunno of any other MX profiles with 6u bars.

In any case I think it'd be better to just use the 7u bar since compatibility is much easier.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 November 2017, 08:27:52 by a_ak57 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 17:14:42 »

GMK has used offset until some recent sets which started offering centered.  For DSA, it is center stemmed but the stabilizer stems are much closer together than standard.  XDA is offset.  Dunno of any other MX profiles with 6u bars.

In any case I think it'd be better to just use the 7u bar since compatibility is much easier.

DCS has 6u, with options for both centered and offset.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 22:52:04 »
Can you do mixed layouts like short left shift, and ansi enter? And split space bar is that possible?

Yeah, you can mix and match with layouts. We couldn't do a split shift since we needed space for the controller where one of the switches for the split space would be.

switchplate.co

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 04:08:11 »
Guys, regarding underglow, we have the required strips for it.
Just contact our support team and we will provide you.
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 04:55:32 »
Could you explain what you are taking about? I thought the underglow was pre-installed?

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 09:36:26 »
Could you explain what you are taking about? I thought the underglow was pre-installed?

Let me check with the designer tonight, from what I understood is that it has Underglow support and not already installed meaning there are 4 pins that you need to connect the strips to and install on the bottom of the PCB
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 16:51:43 »

The underglow is pre-soldered as SMD LEDs when all the other SMD components are installed. There is an option to install additional LEDs through output pads on the board. The controller supports up to 32 LEDs.

switchplate.co

Offline speaktobrett

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 23:00:58 »
The underglow is pre-soldered as SMD LEDs when all the other SMD components are installed. There is an option to install additional LEDs through output pads on the board. The controller supports up to 32 LEDs.

Not that this probably matters yet, but can you individually configure each smd led to have like a rainbow effect?

Similar to this?
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 November 2017, 23:05:05 by speaktobrett »

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 20:53:30 »
Yeah, you should be able to set it to a wave-like pattern with RGB as depicted above.

switchplate.co

Offline ktrezzi

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 01:17:55 »
GB ist Open till first of December right? I'd have to wait for my paycheck :D

Offline Phile Newbean

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 11:56:42 »
What are the dimensions of the cases? Particularly the bent plate one. I'm looking to buy a palm rest for the keyboard but what are some good dimensions that will fit this keyboard without being to short/long?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 18:56:35 »
GB ist Open till first of December right? I'd have to wait for my paycheck :D

Yep! Open till the first of December. The earlier you get your order in, the better. If we meet MOQ before the GB period ends, I can start production early and shorten the wait time.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 18:57:51 »
What are the dimensions of the cases? Particularly the bent plate one. I'm looking to buy a palm rest for the keyboard but what are some good dimensions that will fit this keyboard without being to short/long?

Roughly 385mm wide and 15mm tall

switchplate.co

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 13:25:31 »
I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger, but I am debating between the solid alu case and the bent case. Bent looks like a really nice low-budget alternative, but I feel like it'll flex like crazy. I'm also worried about the weight. Is there any noticeable flex? How much does it weigh fully assembled?

As for the alu cases: do we have any photos of the non-raw options, or do we have to use our imagination from the alu samples?
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 November 2017, 17:23:57 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tuxkey

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 14:14:08 »
it does look good . and i live in EU so finally something close to me  :thumb:
but i'm waiting for my dream layout.. nothing bigger than this for me.. TMK compatible of course..

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 00:14:35 »
I got this question from a redditor: "What if I buy the PCB and the bent case. The PCB eventually make MOQ but the bent case doesn’t?"

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 04:19:30 »
Not sure how i'll like the left handed numpad at work but at this price point it sounds like a fun option to try out! Thanks for working on this  :thumb:
-Dana

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 12:40:36 »
I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed that the Alps options are thoroughly DOA.  Was hoping to have the ability to throw some Matias Quiet Clicks in this to use as a work board, but guess it wasn't meant to be.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 17:20:11 »
I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed that the Alps options are thoroughly DOA.  Was hoping to have the ability to throw some Matias Quiet Clicks in this to use as a work board, but guess it wasn't meant to be.

I wouldn't say the Alps options are all completely dead just yet.  One of the issues with this group buy is that there are so many options, which makes it impossible for the least popular options to meet MOQ, but if you can convince those buyers to move over onto more popular options, then you can meet MOQ.  To give an example of what I mean, right now the Alps compatible plates have 2 orders in stainless, 2 in black aluminum, 1 in purple aluminum, and none in any of the other options for alps plates.  I don't think there's any chance of the stainless (at 2 out of 30) or purple aluminum (at 1 out of 8 ) meeting MOQ.  I'm planning on ordering two black Alps plates, which gets it to 4 out of an 8 MOQ.  If we can convince the two stainless orders and 1 purple order to get black aluminum, then all it takes is one more black alps aluminum plate order to meet MOQ, and we all win.

In fact, I just placed my order, so black aluminum Alps plates should be at least 4/8 the next time the table gets updated.  If you're thinking of ordering an Alps plate, I'd suggest getting black.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 22:28:28 »
I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger, but I am debating between the solid alu case and the bent case. Bent looks like a really nice low-budget alternative, but I feel like it'll flex like crazy. I'm also worried about the weight. Is there any noticeable flex? How much does it weigh fully assembled?

As for the alu cases: do we have any photos of the non-raw options, or do we have to use our imagination from the alu samples?

At the moment, all I have for the alu cases are the color samples, but yeah, you'd have to sorta use your imagination for those.

As for the bent plate, there's not really that much noticeable flex, but compared to an aluminum case, the aluminum case has a completely different feel when typing. The key is that with the bent plate, you should build it with PCB mount switches. It makes all the difference in the world if you ask me.

Comparing the bent plates themselves, it's not much more flexible when you push down in the middle compared to a shorter 75 percent board since the cutouts on the front and back were reduced quite a bit to compensate for the length of the case.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 22:34:07 »

I wouldn't say the Alps options are all completely dead just yet.  One of the issues with this group buy is that there are so many options, which makes it impossible for the least popular options to meet MOQ, but if you can convince those buyers to move over onto more popular options, then you can meet MOQ.  To give an example of what I mean, right now the Alps compatible plates have 2 orders in stainless, 2 in black aluminum, 1 in purple aluminum, and none in any of the other options for alps plates.  I don't think there's any chance of the stainless (at 2 out of 30) or purple aluminum (at 1 out of 8 ) meeting MOQ.  I'm planning on ordering two black Alps plates, which gets it to 4 out of an 8 MOQ.  If we can convince the two stainless orders and 1 purple order to get black aluminum, then all it takes is one more black alps aluminum plate order to meet MOQ, and we all win.

In fact, I just placed my order, so black aluminum Alps plates should be at least 4/8 the next time the table gets updated.  If you're thinking of ordering an Alps plate, I'd suggest getting black.

Hey man, I got your order, Really appreciate it and this really helps the MOQ.

As far as the MOQ for alps boards, it looks like I might have to email everyone at the end and see if they want to move their order to the black anodized aluminum Alps plate. The only small issue I find is that the black aluminum plate is a few dollars more expensive compared to the stainless steel options, but I hope that people don't mind paying a few more dollars or giving up a color in order to make MOQ. If there are one or two plates that are left, I will definitely be getting at least 2 or 3 to keep in stock and one for myself as I'm leaning towards building one up with quiet clicks or SKCM blues.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 22:36:46 »
I got this question from a redditor: "What if I buy the PCB and the bent case. The PCB eventually make MOQ but the bent case doesn’t?"

At the moment, what I'm thinking is that I'll most likely have people from the integrated case choose between the bent case and the aluminum case if the MOQ isn't met for both. As for the rest of the order, I'll most likely dig into my own pocket and buy out the rest of the bent cases since I am pretty set on making the entry price point of 95 bucks a reality.

switchplate.co

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 11:54:20 »

At the moment, all I have for the alu cases are the color samples, but yeah, you'd have to sorta use your imagination for those.

As for the bent plate, there's not really that much noticeable flex, but compared to an aluminum case, the aluminum case has a completely different feel when typing. The key is that with the bent plate, you should build it with PCB mount switches. It makes all the difference in the world if you ask me.

Comparing the bent plates themselves, it's not much more flexible when you push down in the middle compared to a shorter 75 percent board since the cutouts on the front and back were reduced quite a bit to compensate for the length of the case.

Thanks for getting back to me. I know this is entirely personal opinion, so indulge me anyway. Does the bent plate have an appealing feel.... Again, it's completely up to personal preference, but I worry that it'll feel a little light, cheap, etc? Does it hold it's own against the alu case, or is it really just a 'poor mans' option.

I say 'poor mans' in quotes... I do see the irony there.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 11:58:08 »
If the integrated plate case doesn't happen can I buy yours  :)) :p

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 22:28:33 »

Thanks for getting back to me. I know this is entirely personal opinion, so indulge me anyway. Does the bent plate have an appealing feel.... Again, it's completely up to personal preference, but I worry that it'll feel a little light, cheap, etc? Does it hold it's own against the alu case, or is it really just a 'poor mans' option.

I would say that the bent plate is definitely not a "poor man's" option. It's more of a feel preference imo. I don't know how to put it, but comparing an xd84 on a bent plate with a CNC case (same build; PCB mount gat blues, etc...), they're very different. There is of course still flex in the aluminum case from the plate and pcb flexing between the mount points, but on the bent case, it's a different kind of flex. Both of these aren't really noticeable, but you can tell when you use the two of them side by side. They feel ever so slightly different on bottom out and the sound is definitely different. My word of advice would be to build with PCB mount switches regardless of whichever option you get since I've had a lot of success with that on all the builds I've completed that way.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 22:27:22 »
Two Week update

We're two weeks in with two weeks to go. 10 more orders to MOQ. Lets do this.

Small changes have been made so everyone is aware. The biggest change is the redesign on the risers and bottom of the case. After some review, there wasn't enough material on the front of the 4 degree riser to accommodate a screw so we reversed the design with the case being threaded and the side with the riser taking the screw. The risers have also been slightly redesigned so that the legs would sit flush with the bottom chamfer of the case.

ATTENTION ASIA AND OCEANIA CUSTOMERS

After some talking with KP, we decided to go another route with the orders that were placed in non-chinese speaking parts of asia and oceania. Please order on the switchplate peripherals website and pick the "Asia/Oceania Dropship" option. We will bill you for shipping afterwards. To get a quick idea of how much shipping will be, we're using SF express which is insanely faster and insanely better than epacket since we don't have enough constant volume for the DHL reduced rate shipping. Check shipping costs at the link below. Rough weights for the each item will also be posted below, but just keep in mind that packaging will add to volumetric weight and space.

These orders will be processed by me, then the orders will be forwarded to KP, the same vendor on Taobao and shipped by them. The items are shipping out of Beijing and will be shipped around the same time as the US and EU orders.

AL Case - 900g
Bent Plate - 480g
Integrated Case - 900g
PCB - 150g
Stainless Steel Plate - 125g
Aluminum Plate - 80g

http://www.sf-express.com/cn/en/dynamic_function/price/

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 23:11:33 »

If you haven't ordered yet, I've gone to a different system. Check my post above this.

switchplate.co

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 22:56:42 »

I would say that the bent plate is definitely not a "poor man's" option. It's more of a feel preference imo. I don't know how to put it, but comparing an xd84 on a bent plate with a CNC case (same build; PCB mount gat blues, etc...), they're very different. There is of course still flex in the aluminum case from the plate and pcb flexing between the mount points, but on the bent case, it's a different kind of flex. Both of these aren't really noticeable, but you can tell when you use the two of them side by side. They feel ever so slightly different on bottom out and the sound is definitely different. My word of advice would be to build with PCB mount switches regardless of whichever option you get since I've had a lot of success with that on all the builds I've completed that way.

Would you mind elaborating more about having "more success" with PCB mount switches than plate mount. What do you mean by that? Do you mean switch alignment etc...

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 01:24:01 »

Would you mind elaborating more about having "more success" with PCB mount switches than plate mount. What do you mean by that? Do you mean switch alignment etc...

A wall of text ahead, but I'm not sure how to explain it without going in-depth

So taking from what I've built, with plate mount switches, the interface of the switch and plate vary because of how the tolerances vary from manufacture to manufacture and from run to run. Some switches fit loosely in the plate (older Kailhs) and some fit really really tight (New Otemu pros). If you have tighter switches, no problem, but when you have looser ones, alignment starts to become an issue. Optimally, it's a press-fit (rather than slip fit) interface between the PCB and the switch. for PCB mount switches.  This is one of the advantages that I've found.

Alignment also is much easier with kits that have universal plates. A good example would be the break/backslash key right above the enter. Since most plates that are universal are cut out for the ISO stab too, the only support is at the top left corner where the switch doesn't "lock in" since the two tabs at the top and bottom don't make contact. This also creates a sort of vertical alignment (think z axis) issue in addition to having it aligned horizontally (think x and y axis).

As far as vertical alignment is concerned, most PCB mount switches help with this. This really depends on the tolerance of the switch housings and the size of the PCB mount holes on the PCB itself. Most of the switches, if you've noticed have four small nubs on each corner of the switch housing on the bottom. Those should sit right on the PCB itself. If the switch/PCB interface well with each other, you should have to push the switch into position with a little bit of force. This causes the extra aligning legs to bite into the PCB and keep the switch there. If the switch is seated all the way, then the four little nubs should sit right on the PCB without any room between. This though, doesn't work if the PCB and switch housing don't mesh well together. You can usually tell if you press the switch into the PCB and it falls out when you turn it upside down.

On the other hand, with plate mount switches, you're relying on the plate to provide the vertical alignment and make sure that all four nubs are in contact with the PCB. The issue here is that the only thing holding it to the PCB are the solder contacts as well as the center round thing on the bottom of the switch. Most of the time (in my experience) doesn't interface all that well with the PCB and doesn't provide that same "holding" force it does with PCB mount legs. This means that when you are soldering the switch in, you basically have to compress the switch and the PCB in order to make sure that the four nubs on the corners are sitting all the way flush with the PCB. This is a pain in the ass to do. Even moreso if you have to manually align the switches so that it's straight, horizontally as I mentioned above.

As far as stiffness, I think it might be all relative. Or maybe there's science behind it. I don't know, but building with the PCB mount switches on the XD84 bent plate as opposed to the plate mount switches has given me a sturdier feel. I would say this is from the support coming from both the PCB and the plate since the bottom of the switch is being held by the two tabs mounting the switch housing to the plate and the PCB mount legs, in addition to the soldered contact points holding the four nubs down against the PCB. I guess that last point is also applicable if you build your board really well and make sure that the switch is held down against the PCB as mentioned above.

Some issues with this are that if you're kinda going for a quicker build, you can't just pop all the switches into the plate real quick and line it up with the PCB. You need to go one-by-one pushing them into the plate and PCB at the same time, making sure that the switch is seated all the way. Because of the force you need to push the damn switches into the PCB combined with the force it takes to push the switches into the plate, you can't really feel if the terminals (I think that's the term) aren't aligned with the thru holes and you end up with completely bent ones that don't make it through the PCB out to the other side. If you try to apply the same method that you use with plate mount switches (populating the plate, then just aligning with the PCB) you end up with the issue of the two extra PCB mount legs requiring too much force to press into the PCB itself since now, instead of needing enough force to press one into the PCB, they're all connected together and basically impossible to press into the PCB. You then either end up with either/both PCB and plate not being flat since it's damn impossible to apply all the force you need to press all the pins into the PCB at once.

Uhhh... and take this with a grain of salt since I haven't exactly tried this with all the combos that would make a difference.

switchplate.co

Offline Phile Newbean

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 02:05:37 »
What are some nice, cheap keycaps that fits this keyboard perfectly? Blanks while cheap are a bit too plain for me.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 22:44:45 »
What are some nice, cheap keycaps that fits this keyboard perfectly? Blanks while cheap are a bit too plain for me.

There's sometimes a dyesub set by Robo that gets run by MD sometimes that around 30 bucks and is thick PBT that works really well. Basically, anything that has 65% compatibility and a numpad should work.

switchplate.co

Offline Myth

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 12:15:32 »
Pulled the trigger on this, it will be my first keyboard build. Can't wait, this layout is fantastic.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 02:09:22 »

They're actually running them right now. Linked them below.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/133-key-pbt-cherry-keycap-set

switchplate.co

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 10:37:59 »
When do you think we can expect pictures of an anodized aluminum case?

Offline Phile Newbean

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 13:10:40 »

They're actually running them right now. Linked them below.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/133-key-pbt-cherry-keycap-set

Nice! Thanks!