Author Topic: Can The Bearings On The DT225 Be Swapped Out?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline eyesnine

Can The Bearings On The DT225 Be Swapped Out?
« on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 06:05:14 »
I was wondering how different bearings would change the performance of the trackball.

The bearings don't seem to be removable on the trackballs I already have.

So, I was wondering if the DT225 would be a suitable candidate for some bearing experiments.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 May 2012, 06:09:01 by eyesnine »

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 22:37:48 »
I recall the wheels/rings with the bearings on my DT225 USB coming off the rollers, when I still had it.

As for finding alternative bearings that would fit, I have no idea.

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 07:28:08 »
I measured the bearings on my Mouse Trak, and they seem to be 5/8" OD 3/8" ID 5/32" W, and it's actually quite easy to find replacements. The DT225 bearings look like the same size.

I was thinking it would be interesting to try out some ceramic bearings.

Also, since they're installed in an enclosed space, I think that open bearings might actually work out better. There really aren't a lot of contaminants inside a trackball case.

Bearings with a PTFE cage might be quieter, but I'm not sure how they'd hold up over time. Though, if they're cheap enough I wouldn't mind replacing the bearings once every year.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2012, 21:20:56 by eyesnine »

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 21:20:21 »
Nevermind, I remeasured and it's 3/8 1/8 5/32. I often think I should get digital calipers.

I figured out how to get the encoder wheel off the steel shaft on my Mouse Trak, so I can do some bearing experimentation with that instead. I don't think I'll be getting a DT225 any time soon, unless they show up on eBay for super cheap.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2012, 21:22:41 by eyesnine »

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 21:25:00 »
Harbor Freight calipers are plenty accurate for any hobbyist and once you have them you'll use them more than you think.  Get the one step up model that has the thumb scroll thing.  But hold out for a sale, they mark them down constantly.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html

« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2012, 21:28:17 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 21:31:33 »
I was thinking about going the $12, cheapest on eBay, shipped direct from Hong Kong route.

The Harbor Freight calipers look pretty much the same as the $12 ones.

I got digital luggage scales from Hong Kong for $5, and it measures the same as the scales at the post office...

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 09:44:38 »
I ordered everything.

I guess we'll see how this goes in a week or so.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 00:20:19 »
Quote from: eyesnine;601628
I was thinking about going the $12, cheapest on eBay, shipped direct from Hong Kong route.

The Harbor Freight calipers look pretty much the same as the $12 ones.

I got digital luggage scales from Hong Kong for $5, and it measures the same as the scales at the post office...
amazon also has these for about the same price w/ prime shipping.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 06:42:42 »
I received the calipers already. I got them for $11.25 from a US seller on eBay. They look exactly the same as the Harbor Freight calipers, and they seem to work just fine.

I also received one sample bearing I ordered from Acer Racing. I thought I would try out a bearing with a polyamide seal, because they say it's as good as teflon. It's not very good, and isn't as smooth as the stainless steel ones already in the trackball, so that's $8 wasted.

I haven't yet received the open hybrid ceramic bearings I ordered from VXB. These bearings seem, to me, to be the best fit for the application, so I ordered a full set without ordering a sample. They were only $5 each, so it's not a big risk.

The very best option seems to be full ceramic bearings. Hybrids have stainless steel races and ceramic balls. The full ceramic bearings have ceramic races and ceramic balls.

Unfortunately, the best price I could find for full ceramic bearings in my size was $40 each. That's a little out of my price range at the moment, since I would need 5 of them.

Also, I measured perfectly with my ruler, so the bearing I received was the right size. 1/8" ID 3/8" OD 5/32" W, which is also known as an R2 bearing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 June 2012, 07:01:09 by eyesnine »

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 20:14:16 »
I received and installed the new VXB bearings on my Itac Mouse Trak.

They work fine, but they still need some breaking in before I can make a good comparison.

I would guess that they would be a little smoother after they're fully broken in. Right now they're getting close. To break them in I just spin the ball like crazy every now and again. They're just as noisy at this point, and I don't see that changing much. Actually, after a quick comparison, they're just a touch quieter.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 June 2012, 20:19:01 by eyesnine »