Author Topic: Sunbath in Winter ?  (Read 1841 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Sunbath in Winter ?
« on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:15:35 »
Ok,  so the limitations.

-- Too cold

-- The UV doesn't work through a window..

Now, In order to do this..

What IF....   I take 2 of those 1000watt heaters,  Put box fans behind them, and aim them straight at my body while I lay flat on the wood deck..

Thoughts ?

OR OR.. ok let me draw a picture..

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
Re: Sunbath in Winter ?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:39:35 »
It's been a while since I last went on GH, but I see that you haven't changed TP4  :thumb:
TP4 fanboy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:41:33 »
It's been a while since I last went on GH, but I see that you haven't changed TP4  :thumb:

Keeping the flame alive..

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:56:05 »

Keeping the flame alive..

Never change, it's always nice to see your post whenever I pop by  :)
TP4 fanboy

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 14:20:47 »
Go hiking in the snowy mountains for a couple of hours on a sunny winter's day. That would at least get your face tanned.
You could get sunburned if you are not careful. And also, wear sunglasses or you will get temporarily blind.
The total light reflected from the snow can be that strong.

Offline jeb

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 15:38:37 »
I don't know what temperatures you expect to deal with, but I think you can come up with a more cost-effective solution (depending, I suppose, on how often you wish to use it). I would focus on minimizing loss of heat and using the heat present in the environment.

I think you'd benefit from building some sort of enclosure (open on the top, of course) to minimize outside airflow/wind taking away your heat. You could also, if desired, affix reflective surfaces to the enclosure to direct more sunlight in (though maybe not directly onto your person). If you made a clear top, you could allow sunlight in while you're not in there, which could better heat up the area beforehand. Insulation on the sides and the bottom would also help guard against heat loss.

Since you're sunbathing in this scenario, I would expect it to be sunny. So, you'd want to start by using a black surface to lay on, which could preheat in the sun. Further, you could fill some black jugs with water, which would be able to absorb sunlight and store heat in the water. These would go under you (or somewhere in there) to heat you and your sun tomb.

Finally, while noting the above, there are transparent materials that do permit UV to pass through them (at least mostly), so you could have a top made of such a material to further encase yourself. But I have no idea how much such a material would cost.

I suspect that a solution as above would suffice for temperatures at or above freezing, though I could not say how far below that it could manage. Part of it is up to a person's own tolerance.  I guess you could just look into solar ovens, as I'm basically describing a person-sized version of one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 15:57:27 »
i looked up tanning beds.. they seem way cheaper than this..

But cancer.. !!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 00:00:16 »
(Attachment Link)

Veganism does not seem to appear to agree with tp4.

Mount a large mirror above Australia and direct the light somewhere else.  And the heat.  The 41 degrees we have forecast for Saturday is a little too warm for comfort.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ