Author Topic: Looking for tactile switches  (Read 3521 times)

Offline silk186

Looking for tactile switches
« on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 05:23:00 »
I finally moved to a hot-swappable keyboard after going through four Chinese mechanical keyboards that all failed, the last being a DURGOD Hades 68. I received my Keychron Q1 Pro (purple) a few days ago. Only a few switch options were not sold out so I picked Kailh Box Winter Tactile Switch. My last board had Gateron Brown Switches. I love the sound of the Q1 with the winter switches but I don't know if that is due to the board or the switches. I've read that the box switches don't remain tactile for very long.

I'm looking for a tactile switch that is a bit lighter with more of a tactile bump as these are a bit Kailh Box Winter Tactile Switches are a bit heavy for me.

I don't mind trying out a few options but I don't really want to have to take them all apart and lube them if possible.

I'm in China so I will be ordering from Taobao or JD.

What are some switches I should be looking at or some YouTube videos I should watch?

Should I try the BOBA U4T and maybe the Baby Kangaroos?

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Re: Looking for tactile switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 05:50:14 »
I'm after a tactile and planning to buy U4T switches. I'm going for heavy 68g (and still might swap springs for something like 80g), but you could try lighter version, 62g.
I had Zealios v2 78g and were nice, but heard that U4Ts are best ones, or mostly picked by peeps. Plus I'm not planning to lube them, just tired of modding, want something that will go stock, max possible spring swap.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Valcro

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 06:18:37 »
The Kailh Box Winter Tactiles have a tactile force of around 55gf. So if you are looking for something lighter to overcome the presure point of the winter tactiles, the bobas U4T (62gf aprox) and baby kangaroos (59gf aprox) are heavier. Tactiles in stock, lower than 55gf can be the Hako Violets (40gf) or the Akko Oceans (45gf). But to be honest, I recomend you to try and test, a person's favorite switch might not work for you.

Offline phinix

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 10:00:07 »
OK, finally ordered U4T switches, 68g blacks. Will let you know how they feel when arrive.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 14:26:30 »

I'm looking for a tactile switch that is a bit lighter with more of a tactile bump as these are a bit Kailh Box Winter Tactile Switches are a bit heavy for me.

I don't mind trying out a few options but I don't really want to have to take them all apart and lube them if possible.

Should I try the BOBA U4T and maybe the Baby Kangaroos?

The U4T is a fine choice. If you want a noticeable bump and a lighter weight, you can go as low as the 55 G stock switches. (Although 57 G L aftermarket springs are probably a better weight.) The stock 62 G U4T are reasonable.

Bonus with the U4T is that you don't need to disassemble or lube them. (Although it is always good to lube the springs of most switches if you can.) If you do elect to lube the U4T, it doesn't need much.

Another option for bump but not-heavy is the MMD Princess. It is a kind of budget U4T or budget Panda. It is long-pole like the U4T. The factory pre-lube is decent, which means you don't have to do anything to them. And I mean anything.

The Princess is very cheap, just a few dollars for a sample pack of 10. Check on AliExpress. They may be even cheaper on 11.11. Try a few.

Speaking of 11.11, there may be other discounts on switches that meet these requirements. For example, the JWICK T1 is known for being a budget tactile. It has a medium-heavy bump at the top. They are factory pre-lubed decently, so you don't need to do any work on them.

They are already very cheap at like $20 for 90, but may be even cheaper during the 11.11 sale.

[You may wish to respring them with 65 G 14mm springs or 55 G 18mm springs if you find the stock 67 G spring to be heavy. It's reasonable, though.]

Gateron CAP Brown V2 are like a light Ergo Clear. So, more than MX Brown, but not like an unlubed 67 G MX Clear. They bottom out at 55 G [using heavy springs.] They are cheap AF and come factory pre-lubed. You can lube them with 3204 to make them better, but they are okay out-of-box.

Huano Banana are switches that are lighter than MX Brown in spring weight, but heavier in tactility. They're like a medium-tactile almost, but not heavy. Come in packs of 45, in fruit jars. May be a little cheaper during 11.11 sale. But they will be high-pitched unless you lube them.

AKKO Cream Blue V3 Pro are a pre-lubed medium-tactile. They have a fairly long bump. But the weight is not excessive. The factory lube is good enough. Meaning that you don't have to do anything. You can get a box of 45 for maybe $10 shipped during sales.

MODE Tomorrow is a bit more exotic, harder-to-get. It's a medium-tactile like an elongated MX Clear. Gentle but noticeable bump. They come pre-lubed with a light coat of 205g0 and are relatively deep-sounding long-poles. Ready-to-go.

So those are predominantly some of the cheaper options. Most of them are pre-lubed, many of them require no work at all.

The Baby Kangaroos would also be a good bet for tactility, but I find that you might want to lube them for better sound. The AKKO Jelly Purple have a bump and light-weight, but again, you'd want to lube for better sound.

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 16:32:04 »
U4T is a good choice. Baby kangaroo is a bit scratchy to me. However, the tactiles that I love so far is all franken switch.
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 November 2023, 06:33:02 »
Bobba U4T switches arrived today.
Gonna mount them on my 8bitdo retro keyboard, plus use those new retro caps! :D

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 December 2023, 17:27:05 »
I think, after using those U4T switches for few weeks now, those are the closest to Topre. Bump is well pronounced, like the dome under topre.
I think this switch needs some good soft mounting board, as on hard top mount it feels weird, like hitting your fingers from the bottom :)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 December 2023, 22:40:39 »
U4T is a long-pole switch, so the elongated stem pole will always be slamming into the bottom of the housing.

As a result, it will always feel as if you are slamming onto a hard surface. It's so consistent that I've found long-pole light tactiles to be a good fit for a plateless mount, since they form their own 'plate' anyway.

What I am trying to say is that you will always get a degree of harshness from long-poles. You may be able to mitigate it with a softer mounting setup and plate, but that consistent slamming will always be there.

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 December 2023, 04:06:47 »
U4T is a long-pole switch, so the elongated stem pole will always be slamming into the bottom of the housing.

As a result, it will always feel as if you are slamming onto a hard surface. It's so consistent that I've found long-pole light tactiles to be a good fit for a plateless mount, since they form their own 'plate' anyway.

What I am trying to say is that you will always get a degree of harshness from long-poles. You may be able to mitigate it with a softer mounting setup and plate, but that consistent slamming will always be there.

Yeah, sounds and feels like it. Plus I think that 8bitdo retro keyboard isn't good for these kind of switches - sounds terrible, hard to explain, not hollow enough and not flat enough, something in the middle. Maybe if I opened it and feel it with something or do tape mod, but won't opening it. After weeks of use i do not like it as much as other keebs, like for example NCR80 - that one is so cheap (got it for £50 barely used) and sounds and feels so nice that its a keeper.
8bitdo needs to go...

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 December 2023, 19:08:50 »
Yes, although the 8BITDO keyboard is impressive from a novelty standpoint, I did not see a reason from a typing standpoint for purchasing one.

Offline phinix

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 December 2023, 19:26:34 »
Yes, although the 8BITDO keyboard is impressive from a novelty standpoint, I did not see a reason from a typing standpoint for purchasing one.

Yep, I did it, bought it but after using it for 2 weeks, sold it - it wasn't for me. ncr-80, funny enough, is one of the best keyboards I ever used in 30 years.

Offline Tseg

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 December 2023, 06:02:14 »
I started with blue MX clickies on a cheap gaming board.  I went to the Gateron Oil King linears on my first custom but just swapped them out for lubed DS White Jade tactiles yesterday.  I had too many errant hits with the Oil Kings.  I really like the White Jades on my KBD8X MK8III.   I also have DROP+Invys Holy Pandas lubed and in the wings waiting for my Neo 65 to arrive at the end of the month.  Today, arriving, is my Gazzew Boba U4 62g silents, that have to wait 3-4 months for my Nelson 810e to arrive.  I type and don’t game, so don’t think linear is for me.  It is interesting even a light lube on a switch make them all have a similar, nice feel, with just nuanced difference… assuming White Jade is “very tactile” and Oil King is “smooth linear”.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 December 2023, 14:29:36 »
Yep, I did it, bought it but after using it for 2 weeks, sold it - it wasn't for me. ncr-80, funny enough, is one of the best keyboards I ever used in 30 years.

Interestingly, I think that the 8BitDo keyboard may be good for those using "new retro" systems like certain new-build 6502-descended 8-bit computers, or FPGA. That is, if the architectures allow for a USB-keyboard. Maybe it's best for emulating Nintendo stuff.

I have been involved in a number of NCR-80 builds, and have 3 right now. [One is going to be given away.] What I like about them is their lightness, and the typing angle on my desk. That's why I have more than one.

[Also, they are cheap enough for experiments.]

I don't think the NCR-80 is the ideal keyboard for tactiles, but the plateless version is a good match for long-pole tactiles.

Tseg, I think you are right. Switches with light-lube will have similarity between types. Although there are nuances. Going up the tactility ladder, you can tell the difference between KTT Mallo, JWICK Molly, KTT Matcha, T1, and so on.

KBD8X MKIII would probably be a good match for Zealio V1 Redux or some well-lubed Durock Medium Tactiles. Use a polycarb plate and the top-mount configuration. Dampen modestly with soft cloth or something to that effect. You'd get crisp tactility, but with defined pre-and-post-travel. Although I saw people putting Ergo Clears and Holy Pandas on the MKI and MKII.

[Gateron G Pro Brown 3.0 and TTC Gold Brown Pro would also be nice light-tactiles to try with a KBD8X MKIII.]

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 December 2023, 06:42:39 »

Interestingly, I think that the 8BitDo keyboard may be good for those using "new retro" systems like certain new-build 6502-descended 8-bit computers, or FPGA. That is, if the architectures allow for a USB-keyboard. Maybe it's best for emulating Nintendo stuff.

I have been involved in a number of NCR-80 builds, and have 3 right now. [One is going to be given away.] What I like about them is their lightness, and the typing angle on my desk. That's why I have more than one.

I don't think the NCR-80 is the ideal keyboard for tactiles, but the plateless version is a good match for long-pole tactiles.

Tseg, I think you are right. Switches with light-lube will have similarity between types. Although there are nuances. Going up the tactility ladder, you can tell the difference between KTT Mallo, JWICK Molly, KTT Matcha, T1, and so on.

KBD8X MKIII would probably be a good match for Zealio V1 Redux or some well-lubed Durock Medium Tactiles. Use a polycarb plate and the top-mount configuration. Dampen modestly with soft cloth or something to that effect. You'd get crisp tactility, but with defined pre-and-post-travel. Although I saw people putting Ergo Clears and Holy Pandas on the MKI and MKII.

[Gateron G Pro Brown 3.0 and TTC Gold Brown Pro would also be nice light-tactiles to try with a KBD8X MKIII.]

it feels more like someone looked at an NES for a few minutes than someone trying to emulate it though
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline phinix

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 December 2023, 13:46:15 »

it feels more like someone looked at an NES for a few minutes than someone trying to emulate it though

It has looks of course, but feel/sound wise, it is very minimal, budget board.
NCR-80 is like 3x better and practically same price.

Offline Prince Valiant

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 December 2023, 08:23:02 »
I think that's 8bitdo in a nutshell. They usually get the looks down okay and fail in the execution.