Author Topic: [GB] The Enabler [Shipped] Shared on OshPark  (Read 73569 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Current Orders in alphabetical order
Username - Without stabs - with stabs
thweir - 200 - 4

:( I was on my phone when I submitted the form, so "thweir" should be "tjweir" sorry about that.

Fixed.  I is correct on the order form.  I just typed it wrong.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
jdcarpe, we are going to need you to run another teensy GB now.  :P

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
jdcarpe, we are going to need you to run another teensy GB now.  :P

Funny, I was just thinking I don't have enough Teensys now.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
I recommend including the option for Teensy shields as well.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
I recommend including the option for Teensy shields as well.

If you are talking about what I am thinking you are, there are two versions.  One with the screw holes on the end and one on the side.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Alright guys and gals, I have run some maths and the break even point between sub 1k sq inch and 1k+ sq inch order with our discount will be 948 square inches.  When we get to this point I will post a second Google form asking if you want you order numbers increased or invoice price dropped.

An increase in pieces would result in an extra 5 pieces for every 100 or one for every 20.  Price reduction would be 5%.

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
I'm in for 250. Probably overkill, but this seems like a neat idea.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Do you guys think I should cross post this over at DT?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
It can't hurt :D

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Ordered 10. Gonna try to run these with my Qwerkeys switch tester.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline luckynet

can i ask what are the stab holes for?? sorry kind slow about electroniks T.T interested tho
Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK
Matias quiet pro - V60 matias clicky

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
can i ask what are the stab holes for??
Inserting stabilizers into. Nothing more elaborate than that; certain stabilizer designs attach to the PCB and passively ignore the plate. The new design facilitates that.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
I am going to cross post this to the DT forums as well.  Do you guys really think I should be worried about the additional stress of a keystroke being transfered to the pins on the switch for the stabilized caps when using PCB mount stabs?  To be honest I don't know if the switch or the stabs bottom out first.

If there really is no worry on that I will talk to moz about doing a 6.25 (standard center) location and a 7u version with the same circuit and just modify the cutout files.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Do it anyway. Switches are cheap, and can be replaced. Even more easily with these little PCBs. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
Not sure if this is where I should post, but had an idea:

How possible would it be to design a 60% that "falls into" a full size board?  Obviously designing a case is secondary, but does anyone know if this is possible at all from an EE perspective?

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Well jdcarpe has this plate. I wonder if that would fit a Poker X or Poker 2 PCB. Then you could drop it into a full size case.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Alright guys we are officially over the 1000 square inch mark.  Great work guys.  I have sent an email to Moz about doing a version for space bars.  Both 7u and 6.25u with centered switch locations will be done.  If anyone wants them just submit a new order with a comment on how many of each you would like.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
isn't somebody developing an easy way to program custom layouts?

There was talk but I dont think anyone has published anything yet.  I started a thread on it but most likely everything will have to be from scratch.

as I've said before, it's super easy with a soarer controller. I'm using one on my ergodox now. I can reprogram / remap it without having to build or flash anything. it's great.

Offline n7

I'm trying to wrap my head around how these would be kept in place inside a case with a plate. If the PCB is small enough to fit through the switch hole in the plate to remove a single switch, does that mean there is the potential for a lot of individual switches moving around (while typing, or even in transit, I suppose) if you were to build a full board from these PCBs? or would there be some other way you could ensure they were secure to the bottom of a case?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
I'm trying to wrap my head around how these would be kept in place inside a case with a plate. If the PCB is small enough to fit through the switch hole in the plate to remove a single switch, does that mean there is the potential for a lot of individual switches moving around (while typing, or even in transit, I suppose) if you were to build a full board from these PCBs? or would there be some other way you could ensure they were secure to the bottom of a case?

If I understand you correctly, you are referring to a case that could be used either with or without a plate as the plate does not attach to the case but the PCB does.  If that is what you are referring to then this would not work.  The primary audience of this (in my head at least) was people that are developing custom layouts/cases where the plate is either an integral part of or the plate physically attaches to the case in some way, shape, or form. 

Offline n7

If I understand you correctly, you are referring to a case that could be used either with or without a plate as the plate does not attach to the case but the PCB does.  If that is what you are referring to then this would not work.  The primary audience of this (in my head at least) was people that are developing custom layouts/cases where the plate is either an integral part of or the plate physically attaches to the case in some way, shape, or form.
Sorry, I feel dumb. I completely spaced about the fact that the switches actually clip onto the plate. After testing with some switches on one of my spare plates, I have a better idea of how this would actually fit together for a project.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I am thinking of just getting some ergodox plates and trying to hand wire an ergodox with these. Will it work?

I'm not sure how I would connect the two boards together yet.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
I am thinking of just getting some ergodox plates and trying to hand wire an ergodox with these. Will it work?

But ErgoDox PCBs are available, and not expensive...

in memoriam

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
JD is referring to the PCBs that MK.com sell. They also have cases as well now.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

But ErgoDox PCBs are available, and not expensive...

Well for me they are expensive cause I will have to pay $20 in shipping and another $20 in duty because MK ships with a commercial invoice on the box.

So will cost $80 for just the pcbs by the time I get them. Usually I do not get dinged with duty on GBS, so it saves me a lot of money if I can get stuff from a gb instead.

Also, how would I do an alps egodox otherwise? :)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
Tarzan is selling his for $20 right now. Might want to snatch that one up.

As for an ALPS version Ergodox, you'd have to build a custom PCB to get that to work.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Tarzan is selling his for $20 right now. Might want to snatch that one up.

As for an ALPS version Ergodox, you'd have to build a custom PCB to get that to work.

I will check that. Thx.

Yes, if I use these pcbs, I would be hand wiring anyway.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Well I have been thinking, since the discount we have been afforded by OshPark is rather on the minimal side (albeit for good reasons that I don't want to argue with them over) I will not be making another form.

For the record we are at the highest tier that can be hit with these folks.  If you want to add more to your order just submit another order and I will add them together. 

I have not heard back from Moz about the status of the spacebar versions yet.  I will email him tonight.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Have you looked at any other vendors for quotes, e.g. pcbwing or pcbcart? Maybe they could provide a larger discount for larger volumes.

in memoriam

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Have you looked at any other vendors for quotes, e.g. pcbwing or pcbcart? Maybe they could provide a larger discount for larger volumes.

I have not yet but with these only being .5x.5 inch and the usual cutter size in .1 inch.  They are losing TONS of space on their sheet of blank PCB.  I can do a bit of shopping around though.

Offline boxfulofsanity

Are the "stab holes" stabilizer holes? Just making sure I get my terminology right.

Also, do you think these would work for building one of these? https://github.com/technomancy/atreus

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Yes on the stabilizer holes.  And yes it will work for realistically any layout you can fit on the controller of choice.  I would however not recommend this setup of PCBs If you are planning on using DSA profile caps with clear stems and an acrylic plate.  That is unless you are planning non gluing the switches down.

Offline oystein.krog

I've added my order, this should be great for prototyping.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Was just thinking about these and the potential is amazing. I'd love to see a standard 60% layout but with the bottom row made up of Enablers. If the main pcb had headers broken out you could easily try out different bottom row layouts without even doing any soldering.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Is this still going to end tomorrow?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Is this still going to end tomorrow?

There has been slight snag in the PCB's for space bars with PCB mount stabilizers.  Moz is currently overwhelmed with his studies and finals at his university so he doesn't have the time to do them.  I sent a PM to OldDataHands to see if he would be willing to do them as he has helped me with KiCad in the past.  Well, he just had twin girls so he hardly has the time to breath right now.

If anyone here would be willing to modify the 2 unit version for 6.25 and 7u space bars I would be willing to provide free shipping on your order.  So as of right now it looks like ordering will be slightly delayed.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Gratz to agodinhost for accepting the task of finishing up the space bar versions of these switches.  Updates will be posted when I receive them.  As of right now orders will remain open for one week after I receive the files for space bar versions of these to give everyone a chance to get them.  If you want some just submit a new order with what you want to add to your order and please put something in the note that you are adding to your previous order.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
seeed studio?
their price is normally good enough (IMHO)
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
seeed studio?
their price is normally good enough (IMHO)

I will send out some emails tonight.  I was looking at a couple sites and wasn't seeing anything cheaper.  But I also didn't send emails for official quote.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Well, I did some digging and pcbwing was more expensive (31.35 cents per single pcb).  I did find PCBcart to be much cheaper though it is so cheap that it is scarring me away from it.  Just seems to good to be true (8 cents per single pcb).  If anyone wants to cancel their order and go with them by all means I can't stop you.  There are some benefits to going with OshPark.

• they advertise that they manufacture in the USA so shipping to me (for sorting will be quicker)
  • Keeps jobs in the US (I supprort US made products whenever feasible)
  • They are the only place I have found purple soldermask
  • I already have an established line of communication with OshPark and no language barrier

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Well, I did some digging and pcbwing was more expensive (31.35 cents per single pcb).  I did find PCBcart to be much cheaper though it is so cheap that it is scarring me away from it.  Just seems to good to be true (8 cents per single pcb).  If anyone wants to cancel their order and go with them by all means I can't stop you.  There are some benefits to going with OshPark.

• they advertise that they manufacture in the USA so shipping to me (for sorting will be quicker)
  • I already have an established line of communication with OshPark and no language barrier

I'm in favour of all the 4 points you've outlined here, so I'm not bothered by this decision.  I'll let others speak up if they are though (or they can order separately, as you said).

Offline Melvang

• * Maker

I'm in favour of all the 4 points you've outlined here, so I'm not bothered by this decision.  I'll let others speak up if they are though (or they can order separately, as you said).

Thank you for the support here HoffmanMyster.  Like I said if this decision doesn't agree with anyone I have no issues with someone ordering elsewhere.  I do understand that cost is a large factor in most purchasing decisions.

The files will be made public open source as soon as I actually place the order for this buy.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Just for my reference the correct dimensions for standard 6.25 unit space bar to stabilizers is 50mm off the center stem, and 57.15mm for a 7 unit, correct?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

PCBCart is the fab for the GH60 group buy.

Also, I'm pretty certain that OSHPark uses Gold Phoenix in China as their fab.

in memoriam

Offline Melvang

• * Maker

This is right on their front page

"We bring you high quality, lead free boards (ENIG finish), manufactured in the USA, and shipped for free to anywhere in the world.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

This is right on their front page

"We bring you high quality, lead free boards (ENIG finish), manufactured in the USA, and shipped for free to anywhere in the world.

Ah, I must have been thinking of BatchPCB. Sorry.

in memoriam

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
All good.  Hopefully, I will have files for the space bar versions tomorrow.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
I currently have files for the 6.25 and the 7 unit space bars.  The one issue is the project files that Moz sent me were before fixing one of the pin locations drills.  He forgot to add the second drill for the other pin location.  For these to be MX and Alps compatible, both the right and left pin need 2 drills.  The files that I got sent from Moz only had one for the right pin.  He did correct it and I have the correct files for that but when agodinhost modified them for the longer keys, he didn't realize that they were missing that drill.  I have pm'ed him regarding this change and am awaiting reply.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Pricing for the space bar version approximations.

6.25 - ~3.17 each
7u - ~3.61 each

This is based off $1 per square inch - 5% discount.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
I'm gonna cancel, sorry

Building a keyboard is on my agenda, but I don't have the time/$$$ for all the other accessories right now

Maybe in the future
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90