Author Topic: Topre dilemma  (Read 3736 times)

Offline xtrc

Topre dilemma
« on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 07:59:41 »
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a new keyboard to purchase besides the HHKB Type-S which I own currently. I work in an open office and figured getting a silent version would be a no brainer.

However, I think I rather own a non-silent topre keyboard (It's not that much louder so I think my colleagues wouldn't mind anyway).

I've also disliked the sound of the Type-S as compared to non-silent versions. It sounds sandy/scratchy and less crispy. I'm not that good at explaining this kind of stuff but I've found this comparison for the HHKB which clearly shows the difference between the TYPE-S and Normal version of the HHKB.

I'll be carrying the keyboard from home to work on a daily basis but I could fit a TKL in my bag without an issue. I'm thinking of the following keyboards right now but aren't 100% sure yet.

HHKB Pro 2 (non-silent version) perhaps the Hybrid while I'm at it.

Topre Realforce 87UB 55GB.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Topre dilemma
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 08:23:03 »
Have you considered lubing? I swear by it for topre - it really does rid the friction from the sliders, if done well.

Offline xtrc

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 08:44:59 »
Have you considered lubing? I swear by it for topre - it really does rid the friction from the sliders, if done well.

To be honest. No, I haven't. I'm not sure if I want to either as I don't want to fiddle too much with the internals. Does it make a lot of difference?

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:31:02 »

To be honest. No, I haven't. I'm not sure if I want to either as I don't want to fiddle too much with the internals. Does it make a lot of difference?
Yea the difference is crazy with the stabilizers.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:31:06 »
HHKB all the way....if you're going to carry it each day it'll be so much easier than carrying around a TKL....

The Hybrid will let you use it without any cables as well which will be nice...Slightly different sound on the Hybrid though...

Offline xtrc

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 11:17:34 »
HHKB all the way....if you're going to carry it each day it'll be so much easier than carrying around a TKL....

The Hybrid will let you use it without any cables as well which will be nice...Slightly different sound on the Hybrid though...

I mean.. the sound in the youtube video for the non silent version seems more what I'm looking for. Would you say the hybrid is similar?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 20:52:17 »

]

Plus the nice layout on the HHKB gives you additional reason to use it over a TKL.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Polymer

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 16:13:19 »

I mean.. the sound in the youtube video for the non silent version seems more what I'm looking for. Would you say the hybrid is similar?

I don't have a hybrid in person so it makes it really hard to say...but from other people's comments plus what I've heard online, it sounds different...I actually like it LESS than the normal HHKB....It's not as raindrop sounded and less organic than the normal HHKB..

The Hybrid Type S sounds fine though..

Offline rxc92

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 17:53:02 »
Having used both for long periods of time, I much prefer silenced Realforce (at least R2, which is much quieter than old models) over Type-S; Topre in general, to me, feels better on solid RF plates/cases rather than the light HHKB case. 
Also, as far as lubing goes, don't be mislead into thinking that everyone likes it. Opinion is very much split on lubing Topre switches, and it's widely agreed that lubing will noticeably decrease the down/upstroke sound and feel (i.e. the thock).

Offline mercer

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 09:26:19 »
After three years with a Pro 2 (non-silenced), I just got the Hybrid (non-silenced), and soon I'll be receiving the Hybrid Type-S. Like you, I've decided to try the quieter (hopefully) Type-S for the office, even though I also don't like the scratchy feel and sound. My favorite aspects of non-silenced HHKB are the smooth Topre downstrokes, and the marble-rattling clack on the upstrokes. With the Type-S, I'm afraid I'd lose both, but at least it should be quieter for my office-mates.

Regarding your question about the Hybrid compared to the Pro 2, it's too early for me to tell. My old Pro 2 sounds like the Pro 2 in the video you posted, but both are broken in, and the upstroke clangs are distinct. My Hybrid is only a day old, but my impression is that the sound is very different from my Pro 2. The downstroke thud is more hollow-sounding, not as deep or solid-sounding as the Pro 2, and the upstroke clang is more like chiclets, rather than large, glass marbles sounds on the Pro 2. Also, the action is very light, with almost no tactile actuation feel, and it feels and sounds scratchy. I must say, I'm really not a fan. However, I do remember that when I first got the Pro 2, it also was a little scratchy at first. I'm hoping that with more use, the Hybrid will be like that.

You might also consider lubing your Pro 2. In the video below, the same guy in your original video is typing on a lubed Pro 2. To me, it sounds quieter and more pleasant than the Type-S. As others mentioned, you do lose much of the upstroke clang, and the overall feel and sound is very different than on an un-lubed, it's still equally pleasant.

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 06:15:14 »
The 87UB is much better built than the HHKB but I prefer the HHKB. Especially Japanese layout. Hybrid is a waste of money unless you must have Bluetooth. It is a huge difference in money. Regular HHKB classic is a real bargain now. I prefer it. I do not waste my time lubing it. It is fine as is IMO. I really like it. Even though 87UB is better built the HHKB is absolutely fine. I prefer it. I would highly suggest it. It is the only compact keyboard I can use. Or I must use full size or TKL. IT is very well laid out therefore. It feels very good under fingers. I would just get that for $200 or less and be done. I mean there are honestly mass produced junk boards selling for that much now. Even Pro 2 is only a few bucks more. I would forget hybrid. My hybrid won't connect to PC under the table 3 feet below! I personally don't care about sound though, but feel and WPM. I get my highest WPM on HHKB classic for some reason. I did not respond to highest WPM thread in fear people would not believe me and cal me a troll. It is pretty high. If I go to 87UB it plummets. Not sure why. Although if I start having to hit "fn" it also plummets. Anyways I would say get a HHKB classic or Pro 2 and leave it as is. Just my personal feelings. YMMV.

Offline walie

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 08:05:39 »
The 87UB is much better built than the HHKB but I prefer the HHKB. Especially Japanese layout. Hybrid is a waste of money unless you must have Bluetooth. It is a huge difference in money. Regular HHKB classic is a real bargain now. I prefer it. I do not waste my time lubing it. It is fine as is IMO. I really like it. Even though 87UB is better built the HHKB is absolutely fine. I prefer it. I would highly suggest it. It is the only compact keyboard I can use. Or I must use full size or TKL. IT is very well laid out therefore. It feels very good under fingers. I would just get that for $200 or less and be done. I mean there are honestly mass produced junk boards selling for that much now. Even Pro 2 is only a few bucks more. I would forget hybrid. My hybrid won't connect to PC under the table 3 feet below! I personally don't care about sound though, but feel and WPM. I get my highest WPM on HHKB classic for some reason. I did not respond to highest WPM thread in fear people would not believe me and cal me a troll. It is pretty high. If I go to 87UB it plummets. Not sure why. Although if I start having to hit "fn" it also plummets. Anyways I would say get a HHKB classic or Pro 2 and leave it as is. Just my personal feelings. YMMV.

Wut

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 10:37:16 »

Wut

He said he likes the HHKB Pro.

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 15:49:28 »
Walie, will you ever leave me be? So I do not think that good. You can still get the meaning.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 17:43:29 »
Walie, will you ever leave me be? So I do not think that good. You can still get the meaning.

I personally, think that normal HHKB is quiet enough when lubed. It is a rubber dome, so the sound is not overpowering in the first place. Lubing it quiets and improves the sound greatly. The result is a sound that can only be described as, "Thock".

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 17:44:26 »

I personally, think that normal HHKB is quiet enough when lubed. It is a rubber dome, so the sound is not overpowering in the first place. Lubing it quiets and improves the sound greatly. The result is a sound that can only be described as, "Thock."