Author Topic: Elitekeyboards Replacement for the Filco Tenkeyless - The Leopold FC200R  (Read 179446 times)

Offline ironman31

Elitekeyboards Replacement for the Filco Tenkeyless - The Leopold FC200R
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 20:27:03 »
Quote from: polygon;268153
yeah... I'm sure they don't make that much on keyboards so this is where they cash in I'm guessing. Still, this is almost as bad as buying HDMI cables from bestbuy or fs.

I agree with you here. I bought a few 6 foot hdmi cables on newegg for 3 dollars each free shipping.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 20:55:51 »
EK has gone through the trouble of getting a botique product for a small but dedicated clientele. People who are purchasing the bag are happily doing so and there doesn't seem to be a shortage. The price is a little hard to swallow for me.

For a tenkeyless you could probably buy a traditional laptop bag with sufficient padding with a similar amount of storage space for other stuff for $15-$20 at Costco/BJs/Sams Club. For a full size keyboard? I would be more interested in seeing a viable alternative... EK doesn't offer one yet for fullsize either, but I imagine it's only a matter of time.

Quote from: ironman31;268487
I agree with you here. I bought a few 6 foot hdmi cables on newegg for 3 dollars each free shipping.

Meritline will sell a couple HDMI cables for $1.50 shipped upon occasion. Very cheap. When I'm not hankering for a sale I'll usually just go to Monoprice (excellent prices for long lengths/different gauges, plus they OEM all their own stuff).

Quote from: ripster;268156
If not Slumdog Millionairres
(image here)

Nice 'shop. I LOLed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 December 2010, 20:59:10 by muchadoaboutnothing »

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 01:10:24 »
Anyone have an update on when they will get the keyboards? I only plan on getting one mechanical keyboard, and keeping it for a while, so i'm trying to find the best deal, and fully explore my options ^_^

Offline panda-R

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 01:11:32 »
Quote from: Cyanide;269700
Anyone have an update on when they will get the keyboards? I only plan on getting one mechanical keyboard, and keeping it for a while, so i'm trying to find the best deal, and fully explore my options ^_^

next year ^_^
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline ynih

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 23:15:36 »
The ability to justify $50 on an item that costs $5 to make is all dependent on your life style.  I have friends who spend all their money on $1000 Prada shirts that don't look different than my $50 HUGO BOSS shirts.  Then again, that friend has the cheapest **** in almost everything else. We, as a niche community, spend more money on 1 single keyboard than most people spend on keyboards their entire life....well, that's just our (or some of ours') life style.  

Sure, if I search Alibaba, I can probably get some Chinese vendors to make that bag for $15 shipped, but I don't really want to.  I want to enjoy this niche product because I like to enjoy it.  Thank you, very much.  My 2 cents.
Keyboards: (2) FKBN87MC/EB | (2) FKBN87M/EB | (1) FKBN87ML/EB | (1) FKBN87Z/EB | (1) FKBN104M/AI | (1) FKBN104MC/AI | (1) FKB104M/EB | (1) RK-9000 | (1) RF 86U SE05C0 all 45g modded | (1) HHKB 2 Pro PD-KB400W

Offline Doober

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 29 December 2010, 13:05:15 »
^^ agreed

things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them, and if anyone here has ever taken a Micro course in college you would understand that along any supply/Price curve their is some number of people/demand that are willing to buy that product. Yes maybe I would like the bag to be closer to 35ish, but i might get it at 50.

Also who knows how many they are being supplied, if they are selling all 10 or X per month then apparently $50 is a good price.

Lastly people are complaining about a nice $50 bag but not a $70 palm rest.......

-doober
Quote from: ripster;234844
Actually this is what I said.  Taking a factoid and reaching an outrageous conclusion is what I call the Glenn Beck debating style.

Compaq MX11800 (x3), IBM Model M, PLU ML 87, NMB, SIIG Minitouch, Topre Realforce, Filco Majestouch 2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 29 December 2010, 13:28:14 »
Quote from: Doober;270349
Lastly people are complaining about a nice $50 bag but not a $70 palm rest.......-doober

But it's 3-star and handmade!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 29 December 2010, 16:09:07 »
Quote from: ripster;270364
And we still haven't figured out if the Ducky is real leather or compressed duck bills despite Pandas supposedly having a keen sense of smell.  But then, I find most of these asian keyboards confusing.

I'd still put my money on artificial leather instead of real cow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Doober

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 29 December 2010, 16:32:34 »
who said cows are the only source of leather?

-doober

PS someone cut open their palm rest and see if its real leather!
Actually this is what I said.  Taking a factoid and reaching an outrageous conclusion is what I call the Glenn Beck debating style.

Compaq MX11800 (x3), IBM Model M, PLU ML 87, NMB, SIIG Minitouch, Topre Realforce, Filco Majestouch 2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline bigblackjesus

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 09:53:25 »
Whats to say I couldn't just order from here instead of waiting for elite to get them? http://en.item.rakuten.com/archisite/aa0297000/

Offline bigblackjesus

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 10:00:51 »
Quote from: ripster;270663
Nothing.  That's why I included links in the WW Shopping Wiki.  But if you are in the USA the $50 or so in shipping is pretty painful.

Sorry new and haven't poked over to the wiki yet.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 14:20:46 »
Put some new keycaps on my Leopold sample today. This is where the Leopold shines. Since it has no branding, leds or any type of annoying logo it looks very sleek with blank keycaps:

Offline sixty

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 14:33:12 »
Quote from: ripster
But will Elitekeyboards ship nice thick Cherry keys as an option?

That's the $40 question (don't want the price to be tooooooo high).

Who knows, I guess we wait and see. I'm pretty sure they will stock some type of new blank replacement keys sooner or later. People seem to really like them.

Capslock from the Cherry POM set does not fit, of course due to Cherry's silly offcenter stems. Not sure what to do about that. I put the double-shot capslock key from one of those G80-8xxx POS boards there for now. My only non-blank key is capslock now. Take that capslock haters.

P.S. If you get to keep the keyboard for free you should mention that in the OP. FCC regs. (I love razzing EU members with FCC regulations for a change).

The keyboard does not even have any FCC id (yet).

Anyway, this reminds me that there was a period where all OEM keyboards had to have that silly safety warning lasered into the FRONT CASE directly in Europe. The European version of the Cherry/Compaq G80 with browns even has this too. Very lame.

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
expensive
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 18:30:58 »
Quote from: ripster;270663
Nothing.  That's why I included links in the WW Shopping Wiki.  But if you are in the USA the $50 or so in shipping is pretty painful.

Yeah... thumbs down for horrible shipping price. Well worth it to just wait it out it seems.

Offline sixty

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 07:51:37 »

Metal foil can be awesome. Maybe this will also work with the thinner Filco/Ducky blanks. Fill the keycap with metal foil to avoid it shining through and instead have it reflect back to the metal plate, which results in this nice ambient effect.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 12:25:16 »
Haha, makes me think of covering keys with gold leaf.  A friend of mine covered his welding helmet with gold leaf, cost a fair bit though.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline wendell

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 13:19:31 »
Quote from: sixty;270782
Put some new keycaps on my Leopold sample today. This is where the Leopold shines. Since it has no branding, leds or any type of annoying logo it looks very sleek with blank keycaps.

I just ordered a FC200R directly from Leopold through a contact in Korea. I discussed with them the possibility of getting blank key replacements, but they were completely not interested in helping with that.

Where do you suggest looking for appropriate blank keys?

Offline chuckading

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 14:31:39 »
Quote from: sixty;271129
...to avoid it shining through...

This has been my only concern with planning to purchase the new 87 key leopold from EK along with the third round custom key cap order.

2 questions...

Would it be possible to remove the LED from the switch? Reversible mod?

Do we know if the Leopold spacebar can be made by SP?

Offline eXellenty

« Reply #168 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 07:28:31 »
does anyone know when the leopold will be available at the ek shop? i need a new keyboard (tenkeyless) because i m selling my 104 filco...

do you guys think i should buy a filco tenkeyless or wait or the new leopold?

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #169 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 09:44:38 »
Just get a Filco if you need one right now. It's probably going to be a bit more expensive, but you won't have to wait too long. Also everyone loves them Filcos, right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ironman31

« Reply #170 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 10:19:01 »
Quote from: eXellenty;271929
does anyone know when the leopold will be available at the ek shop? i need a new keyboard (tenkeyless) because i m selling my 104 filco...

do you guys think i should buy a filco tenkeyless or wait or the new leopold?

I think maybe by the end of February (hopefully)
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline eXellenty

« Reply #171 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 10:49:18 »
oh man thats really long time till the end of february :(

Offline sixty

« Reply #172 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 10:57:12 »
Quote from: ripster;271941
Sixty, if you get to keep the keyboard for free you really should mention it in the OP.

Elitekeyboards have been kind enough to hook me up with a sample unit

This has been in the first few lines of the OP since the very first day I posted the review. I figured that should be good enough. Especially since it seems the FTC has no real business in Europe to begin with. Google results on suggested "disclaimers" seem to generally agree, though forums seem to be a mixed bag. Going by what I read in the 5 minutes I bothered to read up on the FTC, it seems that iMav would optionally also have to put a statement in the review section claiming that the views and everything reflected is the opinion made by members and that he, as the site owner, is not affiliated with ______ and merely acts as a publishing channel.

Anyway, the keyboard sample I received has been properly declared as a sample and imported properly by the German customs as an acknowledged sample unit for review purposes. With that my legal part is done here for now.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #173 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 11:34:09 »
Quote from: eXellenty;271951

It's always worth it to wait for something you want rather than waste your money on something you don't.
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline sixty

« Reply #174 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 11:42:10 »
Thanks, I guess "sample unit" works.

I added "free of charge" so you  and this charming lady are happy:

Offline sixty

« Reply #175 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 11:53:02 »
Quote from: ripster;271977
Lol.  Nothing personal.  You should have seen what happened at OCN when Manyak reviewed a Black Widow and surprisingly enough Razer never bothered to ask for the "Sample" back.

I know, did not take it personally. We have so much paper stuff to mess with here in Germany that a bit more would not even matter. I would not be surprised if they come up with similar laws about this type of stuff in the future. There has been a big scandal about the "iPad Killer made in Germany" aka the "WePad", where 70% of the Amazon reviews had been written by the CEO of the company himself, with several fake accounts.

People kinda started to disbelieve in online reviews since.

Offline killy

« Reply #176 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 12:38:16 »
At this point I wonder if getting the rosewill RK-9000 would almost be the same thing without the extra months of weighting. I never thought I would first hand experience this, but some keys in my keytronic are actually starting to get a lot softer than others.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 13:54:44 »
Quote from: eXellenty;271951

J-Goods can hook you up if you can't wait.

Offline Doober

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 14:40:35 »
Quote from: killy;272002
At this point I wonder if getting the rosewill RK-9000 would almost be the same thing without the extra months of weighting. I never thought I would first hand experience this, but some keys in my keytronic are actually starting to get a lot softer than others.

when you typed out "weighting" did you not realize it is "waiting"?

also I watched the FTC video and it is very informative.

-doober

PS Ripster you are just jealous that Sixty got the "sample" and you didn't :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Doober

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 14:47:29 »
lol and his failure to fulfill my order correctly for 1 ESC key come on...................

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline killy

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 20:29:34 »
Quote from: Doober;272044
when you typed out "weighting" did you not realize it is "waiting"?

also I watched the FTC video and it is very informative.

-doober

PS Ripster you are just jealous that Sixty got the "sample" and you didn't :)

Indeed. Sometimes my fingers will also type out 'right' instead of 'write', and etc. No idea why it happens.

Offline Doober

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 22:39:47 »
I semitemos tsuj epyt gnihtyreve sdrawkcab

... but that only happens when i get possessed.

-rebood

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline iMav

« Reply #182 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 22:46:03 »
Quote from: Doober;272200
I semitemos tsuj epyt gnihtyreve sdrawkcab

˙uʍop ǝpısdn sƃuıɥʇ ǝdʎʇ ı 'sǝɯıʇǝɯos ʇnq˙˙˙spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ǝdʎʇ ɹǝʌǝu ı

Offline sam113101

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 23:24:51 »
Me, I just type or say random numbers because it's so mysterious and girls like that.
See*?
It sure means something, but I won't tell you what, you'll have to find out by yourself.
I'm so mysterious.

EDIT; 52132157987986413216546798461325489
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 January 2011, 23:26:54 by sam113101 »
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline killy

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 00:11:00 »
Exactly.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 01:36:52 »
How the hell did you do that?

It's kinda funny that I'm able to read it as fast as normal text lol

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 02:41:11 »
ɐɥɐɥ
ɹǝʇsdıɹ ʎq pǝuʍo

Offline sixty

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 02:44:37 »
uʍop ǝpısdn pǝuɹnʇ-pǝddılɟ ʇoƃ ǝɟıl ʎW ˙ʍoɥ ʇnoqɐ llɐ ʎɹoʇs ɐ sı sıɥʇ 'ʍoN

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 02:50:13 »
ಠ‾ಠ ǝɯosǝʍɐsʇıƃɯo
 @‾@ sıɥʇ ǝʞıl oƃ sǝʎǝ ʎɯ ˙ƃuısnɟuoɔ ƃuıʇʇǝƃ sı pɐǝɹɥʇ sıɥʇ

Offline iMav

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 02:51:40 »

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 02:52:47 »
ǝɔıu ɐɥɐɥ
˙¡ʞɔɐɥʞǝǝƃ uı sıɥʇ ǝʌɐɥ ʎǝɥʇ ǝɔıʇou uǝʌǝ ʇ,upıp ı ʍoʍ lol
/ƃɹo˙ʞɔɐɥʞǝǝƃ˙dılɟ//:dʇʇɥ

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 03:08:53 »
lol, I just rotated the picture of my monitor 180 degrees so I could read those posts more easily. And the content of all those posts..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline iMav

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 03:12:05 »
Quote from: db_Iodine;272262
lol, I just rotated the picture of my monitor 180 degrees so I could read those posts more easily. And the content of all those posts..

If history is any indication, expect about a week of random, flipped posts scattered around geekhack...then the novelty will wear off (again).

Offline NimbleRabit

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 13:36:58 »
Mine just arrived!  Good review, it was very helpful to me when deciding what I wanted to purchase.  Thanks for doing this, and I just want to say that this thing really does feel amazingly solid.  I've been using slim style scissor switch keyboards for a while now and was prompted to get something different after my second one broke.  Honestly I feel like I could throw this across the room and it would be fine, although my wall might be pretty jacked up.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 16:20:17 »
Both measurements with the cord attached-

Archiss 87-
946.0g

Filco 87-
955.5g

The exact number may be a hair different because both boards were
measured after being slightly modified (only slightly).
I will check them again when I switch the keyboards back to stock.

Essentially they are the same weight though. A 9.5g difference is less than
five of "my" keycaps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 January 2011, 16:22:19 by clickclack »
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #195 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 16:30:40 »
LoL

mine was the white blank version with one of my keycaps on it. Which is slightly more than 1g heavier than a stock Filco key. Atleast we know we are calibrated. haahaaa

=)

Offline typo

« Reply #196 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 19:43:10 »
be aware the legends on this are probably like the das. they are filled above the laser groove for high contrast. the portion of epoxy above the groove will probably quickly wear off for most people. leaving the standard dull looking laser infill with low contrast.
this should last a long time but it is not what you will have when you first get it. i also wonder if the keys wear down/get shiny like the das. are they abs or pbt? i don't know how cherry gets good contrast without using this "overfill" method.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 22:15:50 »
If I remember correctly you are consistently different than "most people".
LoL

XD

Offline typo

« Reply #198 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 23:32:01 »
ok, you got me there lol.

Offline chimborazo

« Reply #199 on: Sun, 09 January 2011, 00:33:47 »
great forum here guys, the most informative - for sure
when is this Leopold board going on sale? and what will be the price range for it ? thanks