Author Topic: Cherry MX vs ALPS  (Read 32054 times)

Offline Rumudiez

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 15:54:23 »
I don't have any recollectable typing experience on an ALPS board whatsoever, so my question is: which do you prefer and why? Any thoughts on complicated versus simplified ALPS? i'm thinking of buying a cheaper one since they run less than MX anyways. thanks!
40% layout, anyone?

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 18:40:27 »
I've typed on all types over the years and prefer MX browns for everyday use because of the lighter actuation force. The downside of simplified Alps-likes are the annoying keycap rattle, some differential in actuation force, and they feel terrible when worn. Some people will jam some lube and/or dampened sliders into Alps-likes to make them less noisy and feel better, but IMO it isn't worth the trouble. And I used to like Alps.

Offline Rumudiez

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 19:01:50 »
i have used cherry browns quite a bit and have a little bit of experience with blues, which i prefer. i was just wondering if anyone who owns a Cherry and an ALPS board could vouch for the cheaper, but it's not sounding that way :/
40% layout, anyone?

Offline bbbbqq

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 19:07:24 »
I like alps more than cherry

Offline Rumudiez

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 19:33:53 »
bbbbqq, would you care to explain why? i'm trying to justify a potential impulse buy here, afterall
40% layout, anyone?

Offline patrickgeekhack

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 21:03:00 »
I don't prefer one over the other because they are different, and therefore feel different. Personally, I find complicated Alps better than simplified Alps. And if you do try to go the Alps way, don't judge Alps if you've only tried black Alps.

I have used the cream dampened Alps a lot, and now I am on orange Alps, still getting to know the orange ones. I had the chance to try blue and white complicated clicky Alps. They are nice to type on.

I never thought I would like Alps because I was basing my opinion on black Alps only, and also because I love the Cherry MX Blue, but now I am just waiting for a good deal for a blue or white complicated clicky Alps.

Offline RickyJ

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 23:20:37 »
I've been typing on my first Cherry blue board for a few weeks now, and while I enjoy them way better for typing than browns, I miss the better sound of my complicated blue Alps. I should clear off my desk to fit my Alps board and have another go at it. The simplified XM Alps that came in my Minitouch just can't compare to the older complicated switches.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline Magna224

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 01:38:34 »
I like Alps better in general. They have more character.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Rumudiez

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 05:24:20 »
what about the (super) cheap ALPS clones? can't think of a specific keyboard, but i know there are ones out there. are those comparable to actual ALPS or should i ignore them?
thanks for all the input ^__^
40% layout, anyone?

Offline patrickgeekhack

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 07:58:22 »
Quote from: Rumudiez;515953
what about the (super) cheap ALPS clones? can't think of a specific keyboard, but i know there are ones out there. are those comparable to actual ALPS or should i ignore them?

Difficult question to answer. Some people like them, some don't. I find them to be okay, but if I had the choice between the complicated Alps and the simplified ones, I would pick the complicated ones.

Offline flyball

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 08:06:20 »
Quote from: Rumudiez;515953

alps-compatible switches is a broad field but the green/black alps on the lowest tier duckies are fine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Magna224

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 10:36:13 »
Complicated switches feel very different from type II.  The tactile feel on type II's is very sharp but they also feel more 'hollow' and weak. I like both for each of their own individual traits.

Btw since you are here ripster, what are we calling Fukkas nowadays? Also is it safe to assume a Forward electronics keyboard has them?
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 11:08:37 »
If it's ALPS clones you're wondering about, I owned and used an ABS M1 (simplified Black ALPS) for about 2 years.
It's a heavy switch, especially on the modifier keys. Like TranscendingLogic said, there's a lot of keycap rattle.
My only reason for purchasing was the bang for the buck. Now that I have boards with Cherry switches, I don't think I'll ever go back.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline RedTed

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 11:37:33 »
I have never used simplified ALPS, which I gather are most of the currently available ALPS switches.

I can compare my memory of using complicated Blue ALPS on a Northgate Omnikey Ultra in the 1990s and early 2000s with my two-week-old Filco MJ2 Browns.

Both complicated blue ALPS and Filco brown have a distinct sound and a two-part key feel. Both can be hit hard or softly, and for me the softer touch is faster but is also something that I can only achieve when typing quickly with my hands in proper typing position.

The Cherry Browns have a lower activation feel than an ALPS blue, and are also a little quieter. I think, and think is the operative word here, that Cherrys have a lower impact than the ALPS if I let my fingers decelerate before hitting bottom, but my faulty memory tells me that the ALPS had a softer landing when bottoming out. I am doing less writing now than I did then, but my sense is that a Filco MJ2 brown is a little faster than the Omnikey Ultra Blue, perhaps because my fingers are short and the key spacing on the Omnikey felt a little larger than usual.

More to the point, both keyboards are crisper than rubber domes and both keyboards are something that my fingers easily adjusted to.

Given the choice between shopping for a used or reconditioned Omnikey with ALPS Blue or buying a new board with Cherry Brown I went with the Cherry Brown without hesitation, in part because the slightly quieter keys and much smaller deskprint better suit my current needs.

If you are thinking about going from Cherry Brown/Blue to complicated ALPS then I think you can expect a firmer-feeling key, a similar break partway down the stroke, a very little more feeling of lateral rattle or movement, a louder key with a lower pitch, and (possibly) a slightly softer landing at the bottom of the stroke, and possibly a slightly slower typing speed.

I can't say a think about simplified ALPS.

I hope this was helpful and did not contain too much nonsense or faulty memory.
Filco Majestouch 2 Brown | Homebuilt AMD desktop running Windows 7

Offline Rumudiez

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 14:06:13 »
Quote from: RedTed;516111
I hope this was helpful and did not contain too much nonsense or faulty memory.

yes, you very helpful, haha. i think this is the best description i've read on how ALPS feel to type on given that i know the comparison to cherry. i think early next month i'll purchase a ducky and take apart the numpad just for you, ripster!
40% layout, anyone?

Offline Rumudiez

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 18:35:05 »
challenge accepted.

after i get my KBT Pure :D
40% layout, anyone?

Offline Rumudiez

Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 19:29:31 »
yes, it could be.. but nonetheless i WILL contribute to that there wiki as soon as i can.

I just have to get my new cherry board first!
40% layout, anyone?

Offline jeffsui

Re: Cherry MX vs ALPS
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 14:13:28 »
I vote for alps (Matias Switches) over Cherry

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 14:31:36 »

Offline shrumpkin

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 17:39:25 »

I totally second this opinion. They are robust, consistent, and have an extremely satisfying clack to them. Cherries feel like toys in comparison.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 18:13:06 »
Alps are good but Cherry is better for floating the keys (ie gaming)

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 18:14:11 »

I totally second this opinion. They are robust, consistent, and have an extremely satisfying clack to them. Cherries feel like toys in comparison.

Just gotta ask, how do clickbar switches compare?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 01:11:12 »
Alps are good but Cherry is better for floating the keys (ie gaming)
what do you mean by floating and why is that better for gaming?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 02:06:59 »
to be honest i like ALPS more then cherry even tho i don't own a ALPS board yet i used to have a ALPS64 with blue ALPS. And none of the clicky switches i tried so far came close to the nice sounding and smoothness of the Blue ALPS. But only the complicated ALPS is better then MX style switches from my experience. But i got some factory new Yellow Linear switches coming and i am going to buy a KBP V80 with matias switches and replace it with SKCL Yellow Alps.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 02:08:29 »
Wow this is some thread necromancy...