Author Topic: The Bike Thread!  (Read 219142 times)

Offline jamster

Re: The Bike Thread!
« Reply #950 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 22:51:45 »
Every road bike I ever had had the shifters on the down tube. These are pro road bikes though. If you are up right you cut into the wind and slow down. You have to reach all the way down to shift. plus brakes are "hooded" no extensions.

What on earth are you talking about- can you show a photo?

Pro riders use integrated shifters just like anyone else. If pro riders were all using downtube shifters for some bizarre reason, half the lycra-crad amateur crowd would be doing the same because fashion is such a big deal in cycling. Do you really think that when those guys are absolutely hammering it, they're going to reach down to their knees to fiddle around with 1980s shifting tech?

Here are a load of shifter setups from recent TdF bikes. You can see the paddles built into the brake levers, or in one case there's electronic shift buttons glued to handlebar next to the stem.

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/226185-tour-tech-2017-shifters-pros-are-using

The seat is a sliver. these are not comfort machines.

I'm fairly sure everyone here knows what a road saddle looks like. And they are called saddles. Only non-riders refer to them as 'seats'. UCI weight rules have meant that for at least the past decade, the idea of having to desperately save weight on a road bike is no longer an issue. Some pros have ridden with metal weights glued to their top tubes to bring them into regulation weight.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2020, 23:08:10 by jamster »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #951 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 00:19:43 »
I finally got a cassette tool last week and was able to clean my cassette and also fix my shifting. I went for a ride today, and it was great - no sound while pedaling and everything shifted perfectly with a small exception. When shifting to the third chain ring, sometimes the shifter is "dead" the first time and I have to push it a second time for there to be any tension on the cable. It's still happening after I adjusted things, so I'm not sure what's causing that. It's hard to investigate since it's not consistent.

I do find the term saddle odd in reference to bicycles. It is attached to the seatpost which fits into the seat tube.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #952 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 04:12:19 »
I do find the term saddle odd in reference to bicycles. It is attached to the seatpost which fits into the seat tube.

A seat supports all your weight, on a bike (just like a horse) part of your weight is on your feet so it's a saddle.  Why then a seat post and tube?  Good question!

As to your shifting problem is it a trim position?  These are part moves to improve chainline, though middle ring seems a strange place to have one.  Or could it be the button?  How many first-second shifts have you done reliably?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline walie

« Reply #953 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 07:40:02 »
Every road bike I ever had had the shifters on the down tube. These are pro road bikes though. If you are up right you cut into the wind and slow down. You have to reach all the way down to shift. plus brakes are "hooded" no extensions. The seat is a sliver. these are not comfort machines.

lol dude, maybe when bull****ting stick to the topics you know.

Also maybe get a bike that's not from the 80s

Offline iri

« Reply #954 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 07:46:38 »

A seat supports all your weight, on a bike (just like a horse) part of your weight is on your feet so it's a saddle.
Wow, that explanation was impressive.

Every road bike I ever had had the shifters on the down tube.
That was in the 80's, wasn't it? Modern road bikes don't have such shifters.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tentboy

« Reply #955 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 07:56:40 »
took my first real spill today.

Doing a tempo workout early this morning and the roads were still a little damp from last nights storm.  I was being cautious but i came up on a rough section of road around a curve and just lost traction over some of the bumbs and the bike slid out from under me.

Road rash all along my left side, ripped my favorite jersey and bibs and busted up my brake hood.  I don't think there are any mechanical problems with the bike but still might swing by the shop later and have them give it a once over to be safe. scraped the **** out of my brand new rims which im pretty blown about, but don't think theres any real damage to the rim brake track.

Pretty blown since i just threw in the towel on the workout, and felt like an idiot for not being more careful and for the damage to my bike + clothes.

Lesson learned I guess
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2020, 10:06:31 by tentboy »

Offline walie

« Reply #956 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 10:51:33 »
took my first real spill today.

Doing a tempo workout early this morning and the roads were still a little damp from last nights storm.  I was being cautious but i came up on a rough section of road around a curve and just lost traction over some of the bumbs and the bike slid out from under me.

Road rash all along my left side, ripped my favorite jersey and bibs and busted up my brake hood.  I don't think there are any mechanical problems with the bike but still might swing by the shop later and have them give it a once over to be safe. scraped the **** out of my brand new rims which im pretty blown about, but don't think theres any real damage to the rim brake track.

Pretty blown since i just threw in the towel on the workout, and felt like an idiot for not being more careful and for the damage to my bike + clothes.

Lesson learned I guess

Sorry to hear about the spill. Get some Tegaderm to treat the road rash, best thing you can use.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #957 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 11:19:39 »

A seat supports all your weight, on a bike (just like a horse) part of your weight is on your feet so it's a saddle.  Why then a seat post and tube?  Good question!

As to your shifting problem is it a trim position?  These are part moves to improve chainline, though middle ring seems a strange place to have one.  Or could it be the button?  How many first-second shifts have you done reliably?

1. That's a great explanation of a saddle. I'd never heard that before, but it makes sense.
2. I may sound dumb, but I'd never heard of trimming before. I don't think my shifters have a trim position (there's no midway index point as I see in videos on the topic). My bike is a 2005 Giant OCR 3, so maybe my tech is old/cheap enough not to have it (?). I don't have any problems at all shifting from chain ring 1 to 2 or downshifting from any gear. It's only upshifting from 2 to 3 (outermost ring) that causes this issue, and it happens only intermittently. It was happening before I did any maintenance, so my tuning didn't improve or worsen the issue.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #958 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 13:01:37 »
I may sound dumb, but I'd never heard of trimming before. I don't think my shifters have a trim position (there's no midway index point as I see in videos on the topic). My bike is a 2005 Giant OCR 3, so maybe my tech is old/cheap enough not to have it (?). I don't have any problems at all shifting from chain ring 1 to 2 or downshifting from any gear. It's only upshifting from 2 to 3 (outermost ring) that causes this issue, and it happens only intermittently. It was happening before I did any maintenance, so my tuning didn't improve or worsen the issue.

Don't know who's stupid, I read it as you having DI2!  I'm no expert as to when or at what level trim arrived, just aware it exists.

How can the cable not always have tension with traditional shifting... pretty sure it can't, other than if you're on the low stop which you can't be in the middle ring.  Maybe the clutch mechanism in the shifter doesn't engage?  That would make it really easy to move, the opposite of a dead person but maybe how you'd describe a dead gear lever.

Sorry to hear of your crash tentboy, wish I was wrong about needing the fatter tyres to protect the rims :(
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tentboy

« Reply #959 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 13:12:46 »
Don't know who's stupid, I read it as you having DI2!  I'm no expert as to when or at what level trim arrived, just aware it exists.

How can the cable not always have tension with traditional shifting... pretty sure it can't, other than if you're on the low stop which you can't be in the middle ring.  Maybe the clutch mechanism in the shifter doesn't engage?  That would make it really easy to move, the opposite of a dead person but maybe how you'd describe a dead gear lever.

Sorry to hear of your crash tentboy, wish I was wrong about needing the fatter tyres to protect the rims :(

I actually thought of your comment when i was looking at them! ha.  even with 25s i think theyd have gotten a little dinged up cuz the bike slid across a pretty bumpy part of the road and the uneven surface probably ate them up (along with my thigh) but you are def right. my new tires were in the mail just not here soon enough.

Took it to the shop and they filed it down a little so no rough edges rub against the brake pad but he said its nothing to worry about luckily.  Really happy nothing more serious happened to myself/bike
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2020, 13:34:55 by tentboy »

Offline Annieclo

« Reply #960 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 22:20:15 »
I purchased my first road bike . It is incredibly light , so much so that there was a getting used to period. Also the shifting is intimidating at first but very easy to use after lap around the neighborhood. The front tire REFUSES to hold air so just be aware that you should buy a new bike tube when you purchase a bike also make sure you look over and adjust your brakes ! They don’t come ready to go after the box but the instructions do tell you how to manipulate them so that they work.

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2022, 03:38:45 by suicidal_orange »