Author Topic: [Discussion] What do you think about the GMMK Pro?  (Read 7480 times)

Offline icrchi

[Discussion] What do you think about the GMMK Pro?
« on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 00:45:40 »
Is it a good value?
aka u/iCrafterChips

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: [Discussion] What do you think about the GMMK Pro?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 09:33:23 »
https://www.pcgamingrace.com/blogs/news/introducing-gmmk-pro

I'm irritated about the hotswap and the RENDER OF FOAM  :eek: (Seriously  , why would you put foam if you don't know how the real life keyboard sounds)

And also the 1u bottom row to the right of the spacebar, would definitely rather have 2 x 1.5u than 1u 1u 1u

But it's good value yeah
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline King Icewind

• Keys of Kings
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 11:14:24 »
I would just like someone to explain how it's profitable. I get that it's made in China, however, there are approximately 20 individual pieces. A couple require CNC Machining, laser cutting, PCB manufacturing and assembly, etc. Simply putting together the whole parts kit is work. As someone with a machine shop, $169 selling price point for that amount of work and material cost is crazy. There's no money in that.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 11:57:27 »
What Glorious reminds me of is the company that wants to hire and / or is competing with Don Draper towards the end of the Mad Men series. [Spoilers ahead]. If memory serves, they really wanted Draper and his advertising prowess, something that could really enhance their operations.

Draper was reluctant as he always had his own priorities. Eventually, he is in a meeting with them, and sees a team of people developing strategies for reaching the public, and together giving a 'Don Draper' presentation. He realizes that this corporation has, almost as in the blind logic of a cosmic watchmaker, had teams of people work on the goal of achieving Draper-like performance. They started with certain goals, and developed methods that would produce results like him. They 'stole his magic,' or more correctly systematized and Taylorized his personal methods.

This is what Glorious has done. They always had a fairly corporate logic, IMHO, and were not originating from the keyboard modding community. The first GMMK designs lacked many qualities that enthusiasts look for. They had noisy stabilizers [a big no-no], PCBs of unknown reliability, hollow spaces that require dampening material [not included], and a generally light and flimsy feel.

But Glorious put a corporate logic to work. They examined many, many custom keyboards, looking at the features that were considered selling points. They compared and systematized what sells and also what draws attention to a custom keyboard. Then, they appear to have come up with a synthesis of the largest number of these values working together. So you get the GMMK Pro. And they can produce it affordably through economies of scale that largely don't exist with custom keyboards.

Anyway, that's my story. I guess someone was bound to do this eventually. We had the harbingers with the NK65.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 13:12:48 »
They will definitely make a profit on this, gotta think of a standard custom board's order sample size compared to a company that can put in a massive order and in the end cut down on over-all cost on materials.  I am happy to see them full send into this realm as it's needed in some areas, it's a fun hobby/addiction and want to have a wider audience enjoy it - only way to do that is to make certain portions more affordable.  We'll see how this does, but I know I'll probably be ordering one when it's possible.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 03:06:11 »
They said they may do an e-white run. If they do I will buy one. All I want is a white 75 keyboard with a volume knob and that will satisfy all checkboxes.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 04:50:56 »
It should be regular TKL, not 75%
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline nick1881

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 13:39:51 »
I really like it, hope they do and ISO version, I'd order it straight away.

Offline Techichi

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 15:15:38 »
Grabbed the "white" one...which is actually a very light silver. At that price I just had to see what's up.

Offline killyou

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 18:38:36 »
I'll have one once it's 60%.  :(

Offline markanini

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 21:44:50 »
I would just like someone to explain how it's profitable. I get that it's made in China, however, there are approximately 20 individual pieces. A couple require CNC Machining, laser cutting, PCB manufacturing and assembly, etc. Simply putting together the whole parts kit is work. As someone with a machine shop, $169 selling price point for that amount of work and material cost is crazy. There's no money in that.
Volume is key, it's helped by their marketing department and distribution is sorted.

Offline SKx1

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 03:49:06 »
Put a reservation in today. It checks off all the boxes for me but I obviously won't know for sure until it arrives.

Offline jamster

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 06:57:13 »
[necro]

Gah, I was considering buying one of these for my son, then realised it's missing the Delete key. Facepalm.

Offline Chalkboard

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 07:41:09 »
Can’t you just reprogram one of the keys in the right-side column to delete?

Offline Aritega

• Art by ringo
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 11:46:57 »
[necro]

Gah, I was considering buying one of these for my son, then realised it's missing the Delete key. Facepalm.

You can remap the keys to whatever you want with either the Glorious software or QMK/VIA!

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 18:18:36 »
I don't own one and havn't used one, to me it seems like a crazy value for the money.
Though I find it weird that many features weren't delivered appropriatly or were not as described such as:
The gasket mount which is apperantly verry stiff (maybe the reviewers we're just overly critical since they expected a premium gasket experience? hopeully owner of the board can give his opinion here),
High profile which actually sits just below the keycaps,
And the "white" ice color (though they might have mentioned it not beibng actually white? havn't followed it much).

Also, why call the stabs GOAT stabs? had a feeling they will not live up to the name.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 April 2021, 18:24:00 by Leopard223 »

Offline Aritega

• Art by ringo
[Discussion] What do you think about the GMMK Pro?
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 12:17:24 »
I don't own one and havn't used one, to me it seems like a crazy value for the money.
Though I find it weird that many features weren't delivered appropriatly or were not as described such as:
The gasket mount which is apperantly verry stiff (maybe the reviewers we're just overly critical since they expected a premium gasket experience? hopeully owner of the board can give his opinion here),
High profile which actually sits just below the keycaps,
And the "white" ice color (though they might have mentioned it not beibng actually white? havn't followed it much).

Also, why call the stabs GOAT stabs? had a feeling they will not live up to the name.

I wouldn't say they're overly critical about the feel. When you make the case very tight and have no room between the plate, the gaskets become fully compressed and all you get is a stiff feel. There's no point in making it "gasket mount" when they could go with top mount, but obviously they're focusing on the trend and what can sell well. A few budget or entry boards can achieve it properly.

"White ice" is more like silver color. While the name is misleading, the picture they're showing is what you'd expect so there's really no surprise.

Their stabs are called "GOAT" because.. marketing lol. I remember when they included metal washers in their packaging instead of fiber/nylon washers.

The way I see with this keyboard, most people would buy it for the layout and knob while some might buy it to experience gasket mount when it's not what you're expecting.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 April 2021, 12:30:16 by Aritega »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 13:15:30 »
The way I see with this keyboard, most people would buy it for the layout and knob while some might buy it to experience gasket mount when it's not what you're expecting.

Yes. I would buy it for the layout, knob and construction. I see the rest as irrelevant or negatives. I prefer Costar stabilizers, I don't like how tall it is or how steep the angle is, I like clickies so I really don't care how it is mounted and would probably just rip anything unnecessary out anyway.

Offline Aritega

• Art by ringo
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 14:18:05 »

Yes. I would buy it for the layout, knob and construction. I see the rest as irrelevant or negatives. I prefer Costar stabilizers, I don't like how tall it is or how steep the angle is, I like clickies so I really don't care how it is mounted and would probably just rip anything unnecessary out anyway.

Yeah, alot of people would see it as irrelevant since the main thing they'll do is put switches and keycaps on, and then be happy with it. If I own the board, I would probably take out all the foam and put BOX jades for the fun of it! I'm not sure how tall it is but I don't think the typing angle is that steep (depends on your preferred angle, it's like 6 degrees).

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 14:25:57 »

Yeah, alot of people would see it as irrelevant since the main thing they'll do is put switches and keycaps on, and then be happy with it. If I own the board, I would probably take out all the foam and put BOX jades for the fun of it! I'm not sure how tall it is but I don't think the typing angle is that steep (depends on your preferred angle, it's like 6 degrees).

It is hard to go wrong with jades in any board. I guess the gasket might make it hard to make it a ping machine with some navies.

I'm the kind of person that wonders why skinny cheapo rubber dome boards even have adjustable feet. I like them as flat as possible, maybe because of how long my fingers are. That and switching between typing from either a sitting or standing position is easier if the board is flat.

Offline Aritega

• Art by ringo
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 15:23:06 »

It is hard to go wrong with jades in any board. I guess the gasket might make it hard to make it a ping machine with some navies.

I'm the kind of person that wonders why skinny cheapo rubber dome boards even have adjustable feet. I like them as flat as possible, maybe because of how long my fingers are. That and switching between typing from either a sitting or standing position is easier if the board is flat.

Ah, that's understandable as someone who used to switch between sitting and standing while typing on a flat membrane. The only reason I don't find 6 degree steep is because now I sit while typing and only stand up to do stretches, so that reminded me how easier it was to type on a flat angle.

Offline Rico

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 15:38:33 »
Just in case people were wondering what GOAT means, it looks to be Greatest Of All Times :D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 16:05:57 »
Just in case people were wondering what GOAT means, it looks to be Greatest Of All Times :D

That's the one thing GMMK always had, but seem to have dialed back on. PC Master Race memes.

Offline jamster

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 22:11:06 »
Can’t you just reprogram one of the keys in the right-side column to delete?

Possible, but I consider all of those nav keys to be de rigueur first layer keys as well. Ditto the delete (I don't like to go down the Apple 'drop functionality in the name of aesthetics' route). I'd sooner ditch the rotary encoder.

TBH my son wouldn't care about minor layout differences, I am totally projecting my own requirements quibbles here :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 April 2021, 22:13:50 by jamster »

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 01:30:43 »
I'm personally glad to see a hot-swappable keyboard with an actual, proper chassis come onto the market for a decent price. I'm not a big fan of floating switch designs, and that's pretty much all I've seen for offer in that category. Admittedly, I'd have taken a plastic chassis, too, but having it be metal is a bonus. I can see myself getting a full or TKL size of this.
Nice.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 13:52:04 »
I'm personally glad to see a hot-swappable keyboard with an actual, proper chassis come onto the market for a decent price. I'm not a big fan of floating switch designs, and that's pretty much all I've seen for offer in that category. Admittedly, I'd have taken a plastic chassis, too, but having it be metal is a bonus. I can see myself getting a full or TKL size of this.

Yeah, I would buy TKL as well, but I cant find decent TKL in stock nowadays.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::