Author Topic: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - CANCELLED, we will come back  (Read 77345 times)

Offline zzyjayfree

Please Read

IC- Democratic Republic of MOON: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90037

I have to say I feel very bad for this unfortunate event drama. First of all, I'd like to thank Limitz for digging all this up. I can't imaging what would it be if we are now half way through production. That will definitely be a disaster. I feel sorry for all the people involved, your passion is wasted, ours also. However I'd like to clarify a few things:

-I confirmed that Eve came up with this design by himself and here are some initial design drafts (http://imgur.com/a/ci1v1);
-After the initial design, Eve made the CAD file and was looking for Logos and weight design, so he hired a guy who specializes in this (no really when we look back now)
-Guy denied our initial design (http://imgur.com/a/1eUpY) and provided the OC design and current weight design, also the following logo as we requested. We felt they were better design so they were adopted. And now we all know the rest  :(

For those who are not familiar with China, Google shut down it's Chinese search engine in 2010, therefore a lot of obvious information to us is not so obvious to who lives in China. It's a shame that we didn't realize this earlier. After further dig up I surprisingly found that lots of design companies are doing shady stuff. I found at least three companies are using the weight design and claiming to be theirs, one of which is what we used and paid for: 1)http://www.xmggsjgs.com/?mod=pad&act=view&id=35 2)http://www.yanqingidea.com/html/2016/sjzx_0802/2821.html 3) http://www.nipic.com/show/8833124.html At this point I have to say I'm shocked and very angry. However as a GB runner, I did not look deeper in this as I trusted EVE so much (I still do), and started this GB. For this I blame myself.

At this point, we understand that there's no way we continue to run this GB without a new design. We have no intention to copy other people's work. With the regret I can't emphasize enough, I confirm we will put this GB on hold for now. Please accept our sincere apology. But we will come back soon with 100% original design. We might be even asking for your help for the logo design(for rewards), so everyone gets to express what they like!

Introducing the Moon custom keyboard. After 8 weeks of interest check, we are very confident to bring you this gorgeous custom keyboard. EVE, who owns the CNC factory and has been in charge of multiple custom keyboards production, designed, manufactured the unique keyboard with beautiful curves!

You can find Interest Check thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88478.0

the Moon:

Price:

$435+pp fee, shipping to be billed separately.
Includes:
Alu top and bottom cases;
Custom Ordered PCB;
Alu plate, stripe insert, weight;
Stainless Logo insert;
Custom Ordered Box;

Optional (for extra/to replace): Brass plate ($35/$20), Brass stripe insert ($20/$10), Brass weight ($45/$30)

Color Options: (Top, Plate, Bottom)

- Light Grey, Light Purple, Fern Green
- Military Green, Light Brown, Coral Black
- Black Oak, Pumpking Orange, Wine Red
- Blue Magenta, Violet Purple, Titanium Grey
- Ink Black, Starry Night Grey, Carbon Orange
If you are not impressed by the color, pick one you like most and leave a note in the order form.
Note the weight will be the same color as top case, the stripes will be the same color as bottom case, the logo will be stainless steel.

As Chinese GB production has almost finished, we have the advantage to see the combinations in real. Find them here: http://imgur.com/a/P8E0O

Layout options/PCB compatibility:
- Both WK and WKL layout will be offered
- Supports US/EU layout (ISO Enter)
- Supports both stepped/normal caplock
- Fully programmable with TKG-toolkit.
- Supports WS2812 LED moduel and multiple IO interface

Special Feature:
Bottom Rubber feet will be designed to cover screw holes. So it will look awesome from the bottom too.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 June 2017, 09:41:32 by zzyjayfree »
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline zzyjayfree

Re: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 22:43:16 »
26-MAY-2017: GB Open - taking orders
26-MAY-2017: Form updated, fixed fifth color option and added extra PCB option (+$35). Now you can pick one color and leave a note in form if you require a different color not offered. We will do our best to accommodate.
31-MAY-2017: Updated color options.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 May 2017, 23:07:43 by zzyjayfree »
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline ns90

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:44:09 »
When does this close?

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:46:08 »
so we have to pick between the predetermined color options?

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:46:21 »
When does this close?

Two weeks till Jun 1st, then you will have two weeks for payment.

edited: should be Jun 7th
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:16:08 by zzyjayfree »

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:46:40 »

Yes

Offline doom2

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:49:09 »
When does this close?

But it's only one week till June 1....

Offline Robotical

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:50:21 »
The fixed color options really kills this for me... what a shame.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:51:07 »
Ok, I'm in... Military green with all Brass (since green seems more rare).

However, why no Silver like in the album?

(would have loved the silver with brass, cause none of the options match the Yuri set. Really want to see Yuri on the moon)
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:55:17 by rioc »

Offline Arallu

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:51:20 »

That's discouraging

Offline rioc

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:52:10 »

Almost thought the same, then I remembered I can have it re-anodized or PEO (/MAO) treated at a local metalworker here for about 80-100$ (if I go that route I'll probably have it silver or matte silver, or in case of MAO Ceramic White or Matte Black with vieillissement)
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:53:49 by rioc »

Offline N0GLUT0N

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:53:14 »
Can I save on shipping and pick it up at your place? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robotical

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:54:25 »

Almost thought the same, then I remembered I can have it re-anodized or PEO (/MAO) treated at a local metalworker here for about 80-100$

My issue is that I shouldn't have to do that. The colors themselves are fine. But The fact that I can't take the Titanium Grey base and replace the carbon orange bothers me. Maybe the GB runner can shed some light on why they are locked combinations?

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:55:10 »
When does this close?

But it's only one week till June 1....

I'm ashamed being a Chinese and did the math wrong. Updated. It's till Jun 7th.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:55:32 »

Yes

uuuuuummm. the option for carbon orange aren't there..
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 12:04:21 by Dymloslouire »
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:56:09 »
what is the weight with brass weight?

Offline Jubileus

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:00:42 »
When is the expected ship date for these?

Offline poolside

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:06:24 »
Are pictures of an assembled prototype with keycaps available somewhere?

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:06:54 »
submitted, i think you need to repair your form as the carbon orange colorways isn't there. by logic, it should be the fifth choice, so that's what i choose lol
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline Gajible

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:17:45 »
Oh wow, predetermined colours really kills this for me.

That's a little disheartening after sitting here spamming F5.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:20:28 by Gajible »

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:21:42 »
How will the programming of the board be done? Also you say it supports WS2812 LED moduel and multiple IO interface, but there isn't any acrylic cutouts so there wouldn't be any underglow correct? What is the IO interfaces for?

Thanks for kinda changing the logo back, I think I still like the original more, but this is better than the original redesign imo. GL!

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:22:01 »
Could the indents for the rubber feet be moved, away from the screw holes?

I could imagine it being a bit annoying to remove and replace the rubber feet when switching plates. :(

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:37:46 »
How will the programming of the board be done? Also you say it supports WS2812 LED moduel and multiple IO interface, but there isn't any acrylic cutouts so there wouldn't be any underglow correct? What is the IO interfaces for?

Thanks for kinda changing the logo back, I think I still like the original more, but this is better than the original redesign imo. GL!

Program will be provided, not 100% familiar with that but it's by TKG-toolkit.
There's no acrylic cutouts on Moon so that WS2812 LED moduel is pretty useless on Moon. But if you like it you can always order for your other boards.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:39:39 »
Not sure: Military Green, Light Brown, Coral Black with GMK Solarized Dark or Ink Black, Starry Night Grey, Carbon Orange with SA Carbon?

Are all of the parts aluminum (plate, stripe insert, weight) unless upgraded to brass? I'm a little confused by the "(for extra/to replace)" wording.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Robotical

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:42:56 »

Yes

Long shot... but would it be at all possible to pay an up-charge to potentially change a component color to one of the other ones?

example: Carbon Orange to Titanium Grey

I really want to join this GB...

Offline rioc

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:47:26 »
Not sure: Military Green, Light Brown, Coral Black with GMK Solarized Dark or Ink Black, Starry Night Grey, Carbon Orange with SA Carbon?

Are all of the parts aluminum (plate, stripe insert, weight) unless upgraded to brass? I'm a little confused by the "(for extra/to replace)" wording.

For extra is just plus an additional brass plate. As replaceme you get only brass, no alu

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:48:51 »

Parts are all aluminum ($435), for extra means you will get alu parts PLUS brass parts, to replace means you will only get brass parts

Offline rioc

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:49:13 »

Yes

Long shot... but would it be at all possible to pay an up-charge to potentially change a component color to one of the other ones?

Is also be on board with this, would like light gray instead of military green

Offline yokken

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:49:22 »
Price is a little tough to swallow, I thought the brass logo and weight were included. Sure seemed that way. But regardless, I will probably end up getting one of these with Carbon colors once the poll is fixed because it's too good looking to pass up. Also really happy to see that the old logo has made a triumphant return! As for the PCB... I've never heard of TKG-toolkit... nothing like some casual nightmares about hardware keyloggers baked into unheard-of Chinese PCBs! I would really like to hear more about the origin of the PCB and the designer to get a better understanding of why a brand new weird PCB is needed for an otherwise pretty common keyboard layout...

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:51:38 »
Could the indents for the rubber feet be moved, away from the screw holes?

I could imagine it being a bit annoying to remove and replace the rubber feet when switching plates. :(

Bumping this up. :(

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:51:47 »
Can we pick just 1 color for everything?

Offline Gajible

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:55:08 »

Yes

Yes, please..! 

Not only are fixed colours not ideal for a $450 "Custom" , there's not even a neutral combination. grey on grey or any blue. Huge disappointment for me

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:55:46 »
Which PCB's will be compatible with the board? Could we use the TX87 PCB as well?

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:57:36 »
Updated order form, now you can pick one option you like the most and leave a note as your request. We'll decide what we can do to best accommodate.

Offline FioraCorp

• AKA ABC
    • My insta
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:00:09 »
Damn and I was so excited about this.
Over 500 with a weight, and every color combo comes with an accent color?  I could see doing it if I could do some neutral grey+black color combo, but each color combo would only look good with maybe one of my keycap sets, and a board this expensive would NEED to be my home daily driver.  I'm not gonna be doing that with orange or green or cyan on the board.  I'd pay extra to choose my own colors, too.  Just hard to feel like it's a custom otherwise.

Ah, sorry, I just saw your edit.  Question: If we fill out a form, and decide that the 'accommodation' is not sufficient, will we have a chance to step out at that point?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:03:10 by FioraCorp »

Offline rioc

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:04:30 »
Updated order form, now you can pick one option you like the most and leave a note as your request. We'll decide what we can do to best accommodate.

Nice, can I send you a pm? (I already placed an order)

Offline Robotical

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:05:20 »

Awesome! Thank you for trying to make it happen. Submitted a form.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:06:51 »

Nice, can I send you a pm? (I already placed an order)

just re-submit the form and added your preference. PMs get missed sometimes

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:07:18 »
what about blanks? can we just get un-anodized case parts?

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:07:53 »
Over 500 with a weight, and every color combo comes with an accent color?  I could see doing it if I could do some neutral grey+black color combo, but each color combo would only look good with maybe one of my keycap sets, and a board this expensive would NEED to be my home daily driver.  I'm not gonna be doing that with orange or green or cyan on the board.  I'd pay extra to choose my own colors, too.  Just hard to feel like it's a custom otherwise.

Ah, sorry, I just saw your edit.  Question: If we fill out a form, and decide that the 'accommodation' is not sufficient, will we have a chance to step out at that point?

Simply ignore the invoice I sent out or hit cancel in Paypal.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:09:10 »
what about blanks? can we just get un-anodized case parts?

If you prefer to see some minor CNC mark, you can put that preference in note..

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:11:04 »
FYI: there is no price next to the color option: "Ink Black, Starry Night Grey, Carbon Orange"

Offline FioraCorp

• AKA ABC
    • My insta
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:12:05 »

Simply ignore the invoice I sent out or hit cancel in Paypal.

Nice.  Thank you for doing this!  After checking out the color combo renders, I really do think they're quite lovely, and I can tell a lot of work went into them.  I am torn but I think I'll still request something neutral to play nice with as many sets as possible :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:14:09 by FioraCorp »

Offline IAmPyhrra

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:16:41 »
Hey ZZ, sent you a pm for some minor changes, let me know if its okay.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:20:37 »
What about this custom pcb? Does holtites fits perfect in it?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:33:55 »
As for the PCB... I've never heard of TKG-toolkit... nothing like some casual nightmares about hardware keyloggers baked into unheard-of Chinese PCBs! I would really like to hear more about the origin of the PCB and the designer to get a better understanding of why a brand new weird PCB is needed for an otherwise pretty common keyboard layout...

The KC60 and all Red Scarf boards use TKG toolkit, means it runs TMK, so it can easily be ported to QMK. I'd love to hear where you read about that though.

TMK and QMK are vastly superior to Bootmapper Client and Jigon btw.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:35:53 by kawasaki161 »

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:35:14 »
If we submit an order for a custom color pairing but it isnt chosen, will there be any hard feelings if we dont pay the invoice?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:39:19 »
If we submit an order for a custom color pairing but it isnt chosen, will there be any hard feelings if we dont pay the invoice?

I'd like to know this as well. I'd submit a form for colors I want (more neutral ones, to be honest), and try my luck at it and yet have the freedom to back out if my first choice isn't going to be fulfilled successfully.

Offline nugglets

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:39:43 »
Did we ever see where the USB cutout was placed? I remember in the very early stages that hadn't be decided and I haven't seen a picture with it shown.

Freaking beautiful board, though. Very, very tempting.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:42:31 »
That would be quite silly.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:48:00 by pr0ximity »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150