Author Topic: [Help] New build key not registering  (Read 1910 times)

Offline junio13

[Help] New build key not registering
« on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 15:51:45 »
Hi! I'm new in mech keebs and this is happening with my pcb.
The pcb was ok before soldering the switches. Now the keys Y, U, I, O, P, {, }, | stopped working. When I short the Y with T, it register the Y (same occurs for the other keys). How can I fix that?
Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2018, 19:14:04 by junio13 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: [Help] New build key not registering
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 16:13:46 »
Sounds like there's a break in the matrix and you're only one jumper wire away from a working board.  Unfortunately I can't make out in your pictures which switch pins are connected to the diodes or whether the diodes are connected across the rows or down the columns - any chance of a picture from a slight angle with flash so they show up better?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline junio13

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 19:33:48 »
Is these any better? I have only my j7 pro camera :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2018, 19:36:47 by junio13 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 05:29:13 »
Not great but better - white boards are the worst for taking pics.

Looks like the diodes are connected across the rows like this - can you see a similar pattern on the row that's broken?  Red is switch to diode, orange is the diodes connecting to each other.

205310-0

If it is the same it sounds like there's a break between the diodes for T and Y - this is a strange place to get a break as it's usually a lifted pad on a switch, but if it works it works...

If not what PCB is it?  Maybe there are clues in the firmware.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 October 2018, 05:30:57 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline junio13

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 18:19:44 »
If not what PCB is it?  Maybe there are clues in the firmware.
It is a cheap b.fake pcb. Windows recognizes as ps2avrGB.

Looks like the diodes are connected across the rows like this - can you see a similar pattern on the row that's broken?
The broken row is exactly as you told. Shorting de Y diode with T diode, fixes the U key too. But there's more broken lines on the other keys. I have checked with a multimeter and there's no continuity between I and U; \ and }. Should I jumper the broken lines and it will be fine?
Thanks for helping @suicidal_orange!

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 19:12:55 »
I had a similar issue that reflowing the IC fixed

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 08:13:22 »
It is a cheap b.fake pcb.

Hmm...  Looking at the qmk firmware this is a fun one.  bfake.h defines how the matrix is laid out:

Code: [Select]
#define LAYOUT_all( \
  K61, K71, K72, K73, K74, K64, K65, K75, K76, K77, K78, K68, K66, K10, K60,\
   K11, K01, K02, K03, K04, K14, K15, K05, K06, K07, K08, K18, K16,  K20,   \
    K12, K21, K22, K23, K24, K34, K35, K25, K26, K27, K28, K38,   K40,      \
  K19, K13, K41, K42, K43, K44, K54, K55, K45, K46, K47, K58,   K49,    K50,\
K09, K00, K39, K30, K59, K69, K57, K29\

And as you can see the second row has Tab, T, Y, { and } as K1x while W, E, R, T and U, I, O, P and ANSI \| are K0x which means they are not all in one row.  If this is your board it's very strange that  Y, U, I, O, P, { and } all stopped working as that would mean at least two breaks...

There won't actually be a connection from these keys directly to each other but you should be able to get continuity on all the switch to diode connections (like the red lines above) and across all the diodes (like the orange line)  If a switch isn't connected to it's diode you can solder a wire between them to fix it but hopefully you won't need to.

To confirm what we're dealing with please can you check the diode connections (orange line) on a row which is working - either all the diodes will be connected or you'll have the groups of 4/2/4 keys in the letter section as suggested above.  Either is fine, just have to be sure what we're dealing with :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline junio13

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 13:56:56 »
To confirm what we're dealing with please can you check the diode connections (orange line) on a row which is working - either all the diodes will be connected or you'll have the groups of 4/2/4 keys in the letter section as suggested above.  Either is fine, just have to be sure what we're dealing with :thumb:

I think I got it.
I have tested the diode connections in a working row and it has continuity on all diodes of the row.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 05:32:48 »
That's the easy option :)

If you've confirmed all the switches in the QWE... row are connected to their diodes you'll probably find Tab to T are connected and Y to } are also connected so you just need to solder a jumper from the diodes on T and Y and everything will magically work again.  This is still a very strange place for a break but if it works it works...

Also a warning if you're thinking of flashing new firmware - the one linked above is a popular choice but it isn't going to work with your board.  The official b.face version has whole rows connected so you could try that but no guarantees.

Good luck!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline junio13

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 16:52:58 »
That's the easy option :)

If you've confirmed all the switches in the QWE... row are connected to their diodes you'll probably find Tab to T are connected and Y to } are also connected so you just need to solder a jumper from the diodes on T and Y and everything will magically work again.  This is still a very strange place for a break but if it works it works...

Also a warning if you're thinking of flashing new firmware - the one linked above is a popular choice but it isn't going to work with your board.  The official b.face version has whole rows connected so you could try that but no guarantees.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your time!
Every key is working now. This is my first mechanical keyboard and it's not the last.

Enviado de meu SM-J730G usando o Tapatalk