Blue legends on White caps
61 (5.7%)
White legends on Black caps
72 (6.7%)
White legends on Red caps
32 (3%)
White legends on Blue caps
40 (3.7%)
Other colours (specified in the comment field)
35 (3.2%)
Blanks (no legends)
122 (11.3%)
Black legends on Grey caps
59 (5.5%)
White legends on Grey caps
31 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 346

Author Topic: Keycaps  (Read 414003 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Re: Keycaps
« Reply #550 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 11:49:03 »
How do they feel?  I know a lot of lasered caps will feel rough on the lasered surface.

Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline dante

« Reply #551 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 11:43:27 »
Why not black on black dyesub?

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 11:49:34 »

How do they feel?  I know a lot of lasered caps will feel rough on the lasered surface.

They're smooth.  No roughness at all

Show Image

Yes, black on black is easy.

The BoW shown, is that dyesub or laser?
Detail, clarity, contrast looks lovely. I should ignore that slight misalignment, right?

They are laser, and yes you should ignore the misalignment.  It's just a test run.

Will the black legends on BoW caps be a darker black than that? It looks a little grey on my screen.

Haa, we're actually trying to make them more grey.  :-)

Anyway, yes they can be made more black by adjusting the laser.  I find there's too much contrast if the black is too dark, but tastes vary.

So, the next thing after BoW sign-off is a production run of blank black - is that right? So the first round of blanks could be only a couple months away?

Yes, blank black and blank white.

« Last Edit: Thu, 27 April 2017, 11:57:50 by Matias »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #553 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 04:47:29 »

Show Image

+1

The HHKB also took the black dyesub on asphalt road, but not the laser-printed one.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Matias

« Reply #554 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:19:32 »

Show Image

+1

The HHKB also took the black dyesub on asphalt road, but not the laser-printed one.

In fairness, that photo is actually Black on very dark Grey.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #555 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:02:08 »
Will these new PBT caps use Alps or MX cruciform style stabilizers?
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Matias

« Reply #556 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 02:27:01 »
Will these new PBT caps use Alps or MX cruciform style stabilizers?

They support both types -- see below...

167207-0

167209-1

With these new stabilizer clips, any ALPS keycap can use Cherry stabilizers.

Offline commandlinedesign

« Reply #557 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 14:48:24 »

Show Image

+1

In fairness, that photo is actually Black on very dark Grey.

No, it's actually very dark grey on dark grey.

Offline ripdog

« Reply #558 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 22:05:21 »
Waiting warmly for these. Is it too soon to ask for another update? :)

Oh, almost forgot: Will there ever be a possibility of double-shot PBT caps with transparent lettering? It's a shame that matias switches are capable of backlighting, but no appropiate caps exist.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 June 2017, 19:33:01 by ripdog »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #559 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 14:10:21 »
I see pimpmykeyboard is about to release granite alps!  Just figured I would mention this here. I'd still be down for some classy double shot white on black

Offline teraflame

« Reply #560 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 11:22:53 »
Are you not doing dye sub at all?
Rubber in domes

Offline Matias

« Reply #561 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 23:06:57 »

Yes, we're doing dye sub also.

Offline Petch

« Reply #562 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 04:01:39 »

Are you just doing a standard set of keys, or something more akin to GMK sets?

Offline Matias

« Reply #563 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 11:58:43 »

Are you just doing a standard set of keys, or something more akin to GMK sets?

More akin to GMK sets, but a little different...

We're splitting each set roughly in half (according to the keys that share the same colour).  This way, you can mix and match colours by simply buying the appropriate half-sets.  There's also a little overlap, with a few keys appearing in both half-sets.

I've already signed-off on Black PBT, and we're colour matching White PBT now.

We'll also be doing shades of Gray, by mixing Black & White PBT material together in the appropriate ratios -- see below, from my last trip (sorry the photo isn't better). 

Eventually we'll do colours too, but we're starting with Black, White, and shades of Gray.

175644-0

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:34:50 by Matias »

Offline ripdog

« Reply #564 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 23:46:14 »
I know it's a long shot, but any chance of double-shot caps with transparent lettering?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #565 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 02:34:36 »
Hi Matias,

I know you are building a little empire instead of just running around to earn some quick cash like many of the Groupbuys here.

But at this stage, can you give us a brief time estimation of when we can expect some nice final production PBT caps and some dye-sub, sitting and waiting to be purchased and shipped?
If you say late 2018, I will still wait of course - for the thick PBT dye-sub for Alps.

p.s. By the way, I have a bunch of "pine" vintage Alps switches, and I have to let you know for the key feels, "pine" (with slits on upper housing) are way superior to their "bamboo" (with slits on upper housing) counterparts at least for me.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Nootz

« Reply #566 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 13:58:22 »
I know you are building a little empire instead of just running around to earn some quick cash like many of the Groupbuys here.

But at this stage, can you give us a brief time estimation of when we can expect some nice final production PBT caps and some dye-sub, sitting and waiting to be purchased and shipped?
If you say late 2018, I will still wait of course - for the thick PBT dye-sub for Alps.

Agreed, an estimated date would be really great. Hopefully it wont be late next year if you've already signed off on the black PBTs...

Offline Matias

« Reply #567 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 15:14:58 »

Agreed, an estimated date would be really great. Hopefully it wont be late next year if you've already signed off on the black PBTs...

For thick PBT blanks or laser, certainly before the end of this year.

For dye-sub, we've only started doing samples, so I'd say sometime next year.  Of course, there's nothing to stop anyone from buying blanks and doing their own dye-sub GB before we do.

I know it's a long shot, but any chance of double-shot caps with transparent lettering?

From us, no -- but Tai-hao has double-shot tooling for ALPS, so they could do it.  We've suggested it to them before, but I suppose there are not enough backlit ALPS keyboards for it to be worth it to them.

Offline teraflame

« Reply #568 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 11:58:57 »
What profile are these? Would you do cherry profile?
Rubber in domes

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #569 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 21:48:30 »
For dye-sub, we've only started doing samples, so I'd say sometime next year.  Of course, there's nothing to stop anyone from buying blanks and doing their own dye-sub GB before we do.

Then next year it is, I'm presuming it's during 2018 not 2028?  Just extremely suspicious of any info coming from you in regards to any releases of actual PBT key-sets.

Offline Matias

« Reply #570 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 23:49:46 »

No plans to do Cherry profile.

Ours are similar to OEM profile but thicker, and with better spacebars.

We're also considering doing a low profile keycap, but those are just at the testing stage at the moment.

Then next year it is, I'm presuming it's during 2018 not 2028?  Just extremely suspicious of any info coming from you in regards to any releases of actual PBT key-sets.

Sorry, but this is how things are with manufacturing sometimes.  New developments can take a long time to complete.  This is mostly hidden to consumers, because most products aren't announced until they are completed.

Having said that, we have the material on order already.  We also have another manufacturer that will be selling a high-end mechanical keyboard with our switches and PBT keycaps.  I expect they'll announce it formally early next year (probably at CES).

I'm leaving for China on Friday.  I expect there will be more updates from this trip.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #571 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 01:20:06 »
Having said that, we have the material on order already.  We also have another manufacturer that will be selling a high-end mechanical keyboard with our switches and PBT keycaps.  I expect they'll announce it formally early next year (probably at CES).

This would be great, to finally buy a full ALPs based keyboard using all PBT key-caps and I hope it won't sell at the same category as authentic Made in USA PBT Dell's for $1000+  :)) .

We all need to see MORE of your key switches, I know they aren't complicated Alps but it's better than nothing or suffering with anymore Cherry-soulless switches  8) .

Besides Matias, you need to install all PBTs on all of your keyboards because what's on them now, is so lacklustre and boring it only helps to devalue your switch instead of making them feel and sound great when used.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 October 2017, 18:47:36 by Elrick »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #572 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 07:49:32 »

No plans to do Cherry profile.

We're also considering doing a low profile keycap, but those are just at the testing stage at the moment.

Sorry, but this is how things are with manufacturing sometimes.  New developments can take a long time to complete.  This is mostly hidden to consumers, because most products aren't announced until they are completed.

I'm leaving for China on Friday.  I expect there will be more updates from this trip.

Can you give any hints on who the manufacturer is that's going to be using your switches?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matias

« Reply #573 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 20:48:21 »
We all need to see MORE of your key switches, I know they aren't complicated Alps but it's better than nothing or suffering with anymore Cherry-soulless switches  8) .

Besides Matias, you need to install all PBTs on all of your keyboards because what's on them now, is so lacklustre and boring it only helps to devalue your switch instead of making them feel and sound great when used.

Would love to do that -- but not sure if the margins allow for the extra cost, in all cases.  Will have to see.

Can you give any hints on who the manufacturer is that's going to be using your switches?

Sorry, I can't say.  I don't want to mess up their marketing plans.  It's up to them to announce.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #574 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 01:40:36 »

For thick PBT blanks or laser, certainly before the end of this year.

It's been a few months since you mentioned dates, so do you still think you're on track to deliver lasered pbt keycaps by the end of this year?  Do you have more information about what the planned sets will look like?

Offline Nootz

« Reply #575 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 02:47:54 »
Happy new year!
Hopefully we'll get some PBT soon, any updates?

Offline Matias

« Reply #576 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 14:39:29 »
Happy new year!

Happy New Year!

Black PBT is in production now.

I'm getting the final White PBT samples at CES next week.  I expect to be approving them (since the previous samples were already 80% good).

Once White is in the can, we can mix White & Black PBT to get various shades of Gray.  We'll probably do Light Gray and Dark Gray.  That's enough to do plenty of interesting keyset combinations, including a Dolch set.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #577 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 15:05:25 »
Once White is in the can, we can mix White & Black PBT to get various shades of Gray.  We'll probably do Light Gray and Dark Gray.  That's enough to do plenty of interesting keyset combinations, including a Dolch set.

Great news in the new year of 2018!

I'm looking forward to some Dye-Sub in White / Light Gray / Dark Gray in 2018.
I hope the white PBT is more pure white than beige. We can see that with the comparison between Classic Cherry caps vs the newer set, e.g. GMK "Muted", the yellowed beige tone is not as modern (or in my opinion not as attractive) as the pure white greyscale tone:

(GMK "Muted" at the bottom)
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #578 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 15:19:09 »
Now I finally need to get off my butt and hunt down a good TKL Alps keyboard to host these fine PBT caps. Sorry, Matias, but I can't do the SecurePro since I need standard positioning of editing modifiers to avoid going insane.

Maybe Massdrop can do another run of the KB Paradise V60 and V80 with PBT caps?

Offline Matias

« Reply #579 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 15:29:19 »

Great news in the new year of 2018!

I'm looking forward to some Dye-Sub in White / Light Gray / Dark Gray in 2018.
I hope the white PBT is more pure white than beige. We can see that with the comparison between Classic Cherry caps vs the newer set, e.g. GMK "Muted", the yellowed beige tone is not as modern (or in my opinion not as attractive) as the pure white greyscale tone:

Show Image

(GMK "Muted" at the bottom)

Yes, they will be the more modern looking shades of gray (not beige). 

Now I finally need to get off my butt and hunt down a good TKL Alps keyboard to host these fine PBT caps. Sorry, Matias, but I can't do the SecurePro since I need standard positioning of editing modifiers to avoid going insane.

Maybe Massdrop can do another run of the KB Paradise V60 and V80 with PBT caps?

We have our own 60% keyboard in the pipeline also.  Once the keycaps are done, I'm sure you'll see other models popping up to use them.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #580 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 15:54:50 »
Happy new year!

Happy New Year!

Black PBT is in production now.

I'm getting the final White PBT samples at CES next week.  I expect to be approving them (since the previous samples were already 80% good).

Can start working on classic beige set eventually  (hopefully one day).
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #581 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 17:57:05 »
I'm interested in using this with the board from the Southpaw Extended 65% group buy.  I'd be really interested in seeing what the planned kits will look like so I can get an idea about compatibility, and some sense of whether or not the layouts I'm thinking of using will work.  Is there anything you can share about what the kits will look like?

Offline ergo_typing

« Reply #582 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 10:43:44 »
Just a little thread bump: any news on PBT goodness?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #583 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 13:40:35 »
I have my forever Alps board, so I'm eagerly anticipating these as well.

Offline Matias

« Reply #584 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 18:39:01 »
Black PBT is going into production soon.  (China is just ramping back up after Chinese New Year.)

We're still colour matching White PBT.  Other colours will follow after white is ready.

Offline ergo_typing

« Reply #585 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 04:07:19 »
Excellent! Black blank is exactly what my Ergo Pro needs :)

Offline Squall

« Reply #586 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 06:44:26 »
So when can we buy a Matias keyboard with these new keycaps? Will it be available in ISO layout?

Offline ag36

« Reply #587 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 21:06:31 »
Once the keycaps are available I can build an army of alps keyboards with matias click/silent click to conquest the world.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #588 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 21:41:59 »
We've been waiting so long to throw our money at him that most of it has been demonetized already!

Offline Matias

« Reply #589 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 01:53:08 »
Sorry for the delay...

We have an OEM customer doing a pilot run with them (no I can't say who) and we just want to confirm there are no problems, before proceeding with production.

Stay tuned.  :-)

Offline manolodeinternet

« Reply #590 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 05:56:06 »

What do you mean with similar to OEM.  Please, can you share with the Alps/Matias community a feature sheet of the keycaps with Matias profile ( graphics of the profile of the keys, number of different rows with row numbers, pictures and measurements, etc. ) 

I would like to have as much information about the keycaps of Matias as you can offer me, please. I have spent a week surfing the Internet and I have no those features yet.

I want to use your "Matias Keycaps Set, White, Blank, Plank" for alphas and a DSA profile set from Signature Plastics for mods.  And I would like to guess if the combination will be useful.

Thanks for your time and your attention !!!

Sincerely,

a fan of Matias switches !!!

;-)

Offline ag36

« Reply #591 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 09:45:47 »
Just wondering, why matias didn't use Signature plastics pbt keycaps?
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #592 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 13:07:01 »
Frankly, Signature Plastics' ALPS support is a mess right now.

* Only MX-style stabilizer mounts (so all the boards would have to be redesigned for that)
* Some fit problems
* Some issues with inconsistency.  I know the Alpine Winter set got a major re-run because the blanks were inconsistently made.

Offline ag36

« Reply #593 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 13:23:33 »
That makes sense, I was thinking SP might have a lower MOQ and shorter lead time than Chinese factories with new mold(but higher unit price?).

I guess that's Matias wants to renew their entire product line with PBT keycaps? I was thinking the new 60% might fit SP keycaps well since it's not being manufactured yet but the rest of their product can't fit cherry stabs.

Offline Nootz

« Reply #594 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 19:40:47 »
Was really hoping the timing for these would tie in with the KBP V80 group buy that just finished, alas no.
Guess I'll be waiting for the next one...

Offline drevyek

« Reply #595 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 18:21:25 »
Checking back in after a year, just about no visible progress.

I'll check back next year.

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #596 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 06:15:35 »
Hey Mathias, can you tell us are there any news regarding thick PBT keycaps?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #597 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 08:12:04 »
Hey Mathias, can you tell us are there any news regarding thick PBT keycaps?

This...
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Nootz

« Reply #598 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 02:03:00 »
Been a while since your last message, any update on the keycaps?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #599 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 02:19:13 »
He talks about the keycaps some here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60268.msg2712248#msg2712248

I'm guessing the new boards and the caps will be happening at the same time.