Author Topic: Replacement controllers - Filco, QuickFire, Rosewill, (others?)  (Read 59257 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Replacement controllers - Filco, QuickFire, Rosewill, (others?)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 07:57:00 »
That's awesome :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 08:05:39 »
^^ That has to be the coolest DIY project I have seen in a really long time :eek:

Offline mooswa

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 00:41:14 »
Thank you, thank you, thank you bpiphany! :thumb:
That was my first soldering experience and what a fun it was!  My first electronics experience even! 

Anyway, finally I have finished soldering my first Frosty Flake.  It was not perfect, I had to resolder few things a few times, but now all keys are go!
I still have one problem though and I have no idea where the bug could be.  All leds are always on.   :eek:

I have red leds, and I have used 510Ω resistors.  I've inspected original CM QFR and it also has 510Ω.  Again, all keys work; Caps Lock functions fine, the led just stays on regardless.  I read 3.3V on the led pins.  I've probed all resistors on the Flake and they show the right values.  Being a total electronics nub, I just don't know where to look further.  Any advice?

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 06:43:36 »
5-3.3=1.7 which sounds like a reasonable drop across the LEDs. My guess is something on the firmware side, or you've managed to short them both out to GND on the board somewhere, the LEDs are active low.

I moved the re-flow videos in the DT thread to youtube, they are all up now http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/toaster-smd-re-flow-oven-t6861.html

Offline mooswa

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 16:50:12 »
Thanks! Yes with hacked firmware I can dim/light all 3 leds at will.  Seems like ubuntu 12.04 is having some issues with syncing statuses across multiple keyboards.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 03:47:35 »
Built a test unit for the new mini controller. Also made a spiffy light show =) Sorry about the poor lighting.
46086-0

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 04:00:51 »
toaster made?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:28:11 »
toaster made?

Of course =D I had a part of my polyester sheet dedicated to this one-off solder job. There are advantages of really cheap plastic stencils as well.

Now this puppy just needs some design to sit in... I guess a circuit diagram may help a bit at least =)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 13:09:22 »
"The Blinky Test Unit" haha I like that

Offline regack

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 13:28:56 »
Built a test unit for the new mini controller. Also made a spiffy light show =) Sorry about the poor lighting.
(Attachment Link)

This is great!   I love it!

Offline mooswa

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 23:09:21 »
I've run into a problem connecting Frosty Flake-modded QFR via KVM switch.  This is with latest firmware from bpiphany. 

Keyboard itself initializes, leds are fine, I see a bunch of devices:

/dev/input/by-id/usb-Bathroom_Epiphanies__Costar_Keyboard_-_CM_Storm_Quick_Fire_Rapid-event-kbd
/dev/input/by-id/usb-Bathroom_Epiphanies__Costar_Keyboard_-_CM_Storm_Quick_Fire_Rapid-if02-event-mouse
/dev/input/by-id/usb-Bathroom_Epiphanies__Costar_Keyboard_-_CM_Storm_Quick_Fire_Rapid-if02-mouse

But no key presses are sent to OS. 
When I switch back to stock daughter board, it works.  Without KVM it also works.

Any pointers on how to debug this?

Offline mooswa

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 23:39:12 »
Interestingly, when I run hid_listen it does change from "Waiting for new device" to "Listening" when I connect keyboard through KVM but does not produce any output. 

I have also tried connect through KVM to windows - same results - windows do not see key presses.

Does anyone have a KVM you can try?a

Offline joelk2

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 03:03:09 »
can we still buy these?

QFR controller is what i was looking at (ideally i just want a replacement of the original to see if it will fix my board)

im based in the UK.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2013, 03:14:50 by joelk2 »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 03:11:32 »
can we still buy these?

QFR controller is what i was looking at (ideally i just want a replacement of the original to see if it will fix my board)

I have one. please send me a private message if you are interested.

Offline mooswa

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 01:17:03 »
Spent all evening with usbmon and wireshark - I cannot see anything wrong.  After setting up the keyboard everything looks good but interrupts from the keyboard a just not being sent.  Must be a KVM thing then.  I wonder if that extra debug interface could be throwing it off?

Offline geniekid

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 09:40:40 »
Received my two toasted Frosty Flakes last night and installed both using metalliqaz's Easy AVR

Great work bpiphany  :thumb:

Picture:
54182-0

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 14:52:54 »
Hm, wondering if The Black Petal could be used in a CM Storm Quickfire XT ?

No, most probably not. It looks very much like they moved the USB communication pins. They have also ****ed with all interchangeability on previous controllers, for no good reason.. Coming from the same manufacturer and all =P

Definitely not :( I added the CMS QFXT info to the DT Wiki, just in case.. ;)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 01:34:21 »
bpiphany = awesome
61700-0
Few hours of soldering ahead :)

Edit: ~3 hours in, about 80% done. Just need to do the SIP connectors and MCU. So I am probably looking at another hour tomorrow. 0603 is a pain :( a 100nF cap flew across the room when I pinched it with the tweezer. Guess I'll have to finish that one later after I go pick another one up.

Oh I ran out of flux too ;___; Gonna need moar when I do the ATmega.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 22:33:19 by laffindude »

Offline blackbox

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 05:01:32 »
Hm, wondering if The Black Petal could be used in a CM Storm Quickfire XT ?

No, most probably not. It looks very much like they moved the USB communication pins. They have also ****ed with all interchangeability on previous controllers, for no good reason.. Coming from the same manufacturer and all =P

Definitely not :( I added the CMS QFXT info to the DT Wiki, just in case.. ;)

I hope there will be a controller thats supports the XT in the future.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Grendel

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:02:23 »
May be a good idea to subscribe to this thread if you are interested in a XT controller...  :cool:
- I'm game !

Offline blackbox

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:16:52 »
Yup i did
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:29:59 »
Hooray! I got my Pegasus Hoof today. Thanks bpiphany!

Offline Grendel

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 13:43:37 »
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have your attention please. :cool:

It is my pleasure to announce the availability of a new Costar Replacement Controller: "The Ghost Squid". It is tailored to fit the CM Storm QuickFire XT line of keyboards and will allow you to take total control over your typing needs.

"The Ghost Squid" is the latest addition to bpiphany's line of 8x18 matrix controllers for Costar keyboards and will be available for purchase as a kit or fully assembled here or here shortly.

[/shameless plug] ;D

I'm totally excited about this ! Ever since I got my QFXT boards I was enviously eyeballing the other controllers, wishing there was one for the QFXT -- I even got some QFR's and a RK-9000 so I could play w/ them ;) bpiphany and I started talking and it turned out that the QFXT is very close to the RK-9000. Close enough to give it a try and the Ghost Squid was born, all went well with the first try even ! Kudos to bpiphany, you got skills !! :D

And yes, these ghosts really exist. Seriously. Gee, fine. Here you go ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:50:18 by Grendel »
- I'm game !

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 20:46:31 »
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have your attention please. :cool:

It is my pleasure to announce the availability of a new Costar Replacement Controller: "The Ghost Squid". It is tailored to fit the CM Storm QuickFire XT line of keyboards and will allow you to take total control over your typing needs.

"The Ghost Squid" is the latest addition to bpiphany's line of 8x18 matrix controllers for Costar keyboards and will be available for purchase as a kit or fully assembled here or here shortly.

[/shameless plug] ;D

I'm totally excited about this ! Ever since I got my QFXT boards I was enviously eyeballing the other controllers, wishing there was one for the QFXT -- I even got some QFR's and a RK-9000 so I could play w/ them ;) bpiphany and I started talking and it turned out that the QFXT is very close to the RK-9000. Close enough to give it a try and the Ghost Squid was born, all went with the first try even ! Kudos to bpiphany, you got skills !! :D

And yes, these ghosts really exist. Seriously. Gee, fine. Here you go ;)
Show Image

When is the firmware going to drop?

Offline Grendel

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 23:26:03 »
I don't know.
- I'm game !

Offline blackbox

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:54:41 »
Yay! Bought a ghost squid immediately when I saw it.

The LAN table!

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 08:45:07 »
I just want to say the names for the controllers are awesome ;o

Offline dorian

« Reply #177 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 15:39:59 »
I saw that the quickfire XT looks very similar to the quickfire ultimate (http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfireultimate/) would the replacement controller for the xt work on the ultimate as well?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 16:36:02 »
That looks back lit, which says no, like with the rapid-i.

Offline dorian

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 00:39:03 »
Would it work if I would accept going without the backlight working? I really like the concept of your work. After I got my KC60 and programmed it, it quickly seemed as if I bought the wrong full size board...

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #180 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 09:42:29 »
No, I would guess that board, like the QFR-i, has all the controller components placed directly onto the main board. And they never made two keyboards with the same controller anyway =P You could however probably hack it with a Teensy++, wiring it in to all columns and rows as well as the three regular LEDs. But that has a tendency to get very messy with all the wires if you don't plan it nicely =)

Offline dorian

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 10:34:46 »
I see I see. Thank you for your help!

Offline Harima

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 15:12:34 »
Sorry for necro'ing this thread but I think a new topic wasn't necessary because it is too relevant to what I wanted to ask. I would really like to see this left-handed keyboard made programmable.

http://www.dsi-keyboards.com/shop/brands/dsi-left-handed-usb-keyboard-with-cherry-mechanical-red-key-switches-new/

My brain had been itching on what I would really like in a keyboard and this is it. I don't see anything else like it out there and the deskthority wiki https://deskthority.net/wiki/Datacomp_left-handed_keyboard says that there's only one manufacturer right now with this design. My only gripe is that it's just a basic keyboard. Other alternatives were to have a separate numpad on the left side but I want to have just 1 HID device if possible. I would without question put money up front for one of these done.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 15:55:14 »
Sorry for necro'ing this thread but I think a new topic wasn't necessary because it is too relevant to what I wanted to ask. I would really like to see this left-handed keyboard made programmable.

http://www.dsi-keyboards.com/shop/brands/dsi-left-handed-usb-keyboard-with-cherry-mechanical-red-key-switches-new/

My brain had been itching on what I would really like in a keyboard and this is it. I don't see anything else like it out there and the deskthority wiki https://deskthority.net/wiki/Datacomp_left-handed_keyboard says that there's only one manufacturer right now with this design. My only gripe is that it's just a basic keyboard. Other alternatives were to have a separate numpad on the left side but I want to have just 1 HID device if possible. I would without question put money up front for one of these done.

Does it have to be internal? How about one of these?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.0
REΛLFORCE

Offline Harima

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 19:25:47 »

That's pretty cool. Is that one of a kind? Can it store settings onto the adapter? Can it do macros?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 19:31:43 »

That's pretty cool. Is that one of a kind? Can it store settings onto the adapter? Can it do macros?

Here's a programming page

http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?usb_usb

Questions to & buy from this guy - I have one of his controllers in my HHKB and it works great

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 September 2016, 20:14:17 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Harima

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 20:16:47 »

Here's a programming page

http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?usb_usb

Questions to & buy from this guy - I have one of his controllers in my HHKB and it works great

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0

Thanks, I will ask him some questions about it. Would still like to know if an internal replacement is possible

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 07:42:21 »
Christmas baking!! I thought I would be able to use all my remaining 95 ATmegas, but alas I ran out of decoders after only 92... Now I would expect these to last a while before I need to buy components again =D

154680-0
154682-1
154684-2
154686-3
154688-4
154690-5

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 07:45:03 »
I also haven't had tome to wrinkle out my QFN soldering, so I submitted a design I've had prepared for a long long time for a combined Black Petal/Kitten Paw controller. It's basically just a Black Petal with extra headers to fit the Filco as well. It even runs the Petal firmware. I still have Petals left if anyone would like one of those.

154692-0
154694-1

By the way, clearance is key..

154697-2
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 December 2016, 08:11:34 by bpiphany »

Offline ireun

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 16:45:02 »
What the difference between this ^^ and the Ghost Squid, they look very, very similar.. :D

All right, I've noticed the difference. :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 December 2016, 05:46:10 by ireun »