Author Topic: Interesting Layouts  (Read 473503 times)

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Interesting Layouts
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 23:42:17 »
I really love sub-60% keyboards for their split space bars and near-perfect layouts, but I use the number keys so much, I can't go less than 60% without a drop in productivity.  That's why I designed (with help from the geekhack community) this 60% with a 1.5u vertical function key and a SpaceFn function layer.  If I had the knowledge and tools to design a PCB, I would have made this by now.  I could hand wire it, but I'm dependent on Swill's plate builder to design the case and it's such a chore to use LibreCAD to make even the simple modifications I want to make to the case design that the plate builder produces.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/0ce9164b4bbb0cf9f7228ecc3f3fcd4f
144573-0

I'm interested in MOZ's TS-65 and Skullydazed's Clueboard because they allow me to achieve something very close to my layout, but they both have an extra column of keys that I could do without.

Here's the JSON for my layout choice for the TS-65:
["~\n`", "!\n1", "@\n2", "#\n3", "$\n4", "%\n5", "^\n6", {"x": 1}, "&\n7", "*\n8", "(\n9", ")\n0", "_\n-", "+\n=", {"c": "#777777"}, "Ins", "Del", "Home"],
[{"w": 1.5},"Tab",{"c": "#cccccc"},"Q","W","E","R","T",{"x": 1},"Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{"w": 1.5},"|\n\\",{"c": "#777777"},"End"],
[{"w": 1.75},"Ctrl",{"c": "#cccccc"},"A","S","D","F","G",{"x": 1},"H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{"c": "#777777","w": 2.25},"Enter","Page\n\n\n\n\n\nUp"],
[{"w": 2.25},"Shift",{"c": "#cccccc"},"Z","X","C","V","B",{"x": 1},"N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{"c": "#777777","w": 1.75},"Shift",{"c": "#cccccc","a": 7,"f": 9},"&uarr;",{"c": "#777777","a": 4,"f": 3},"Page\n\n\n\n\n\nDn"],
[{"w": 1.25},"Esc",{"w": 1.25},"Win",{"w": 1.25},"Alt",{"x": 2.5},"Fun",{"x": 1,"c": "#cccccc","a": 7,"w": 2},"",{"c": "#777777","a": 4,"w": 1.25},"Alt",{"w": 1.25},"Menu",{"w": 1.25}, "Ctrl", {"c": "#cccccc","a": 7,"f": 9},"&larr;","&darr;","&rarr;"],
[{"rx": 0.25,"y": 4,"x": 3.75,"a": 4,"f": 3, "w": 2.25},"Backspace"]
144575-1

Here's the JSON for my layout choice for the Clueboard:
["~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9", ")\n0",    "_\n-","+\n=",{"c": "#777777"},"Home","End",{"x": 0.5},"Page\n\n\n\n\n\nUp"],
[{"w": 1.5},"Tab",{"c": "#cccccc"},"Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{"w": 1.5},"|\n\\",{"x": 0.5,"c": "#777777"},"Page\n\n\n\n\n\nDown"],
[{"w": 1.75},"Ctrl",{"c": "#cccccc"},"A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{"c": "#777777","w": 2.25},"Enter"],
[{"w": 2.25},"Shift",{"c": "#cccccc"},"Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{"c": "#777777","w": 2.25},"Shift",{"c": "#cccccc","a": 7,"f": 7},"&uarr;"],
[{"c": "#777777","a": 4,"f": 3,"w": 1.25},"Esc","Win",{"w": 1.25},"Alt",{"w": 1.25},"しません\n\n\n\n\n\n無変換",{"c": "#cccccc","w": 2},"Backspace",
{"a": 7,"w": 2},"",{"c": "#777777","a": 4,"w": 1.25},"しません\n\n\n\n\n\n変換",{"w": 1.25},"Alt","Fun",{"w": 1.25},"Ctrl",{"c": "#cccccc","a": 7,"f": 7},"&larr;","&darr;","&rarr;"]
144577-2

I may still buy a Clueboard when aluminum plates for the FC660M are back in stock.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 00:24:21 »
I really love sub-60% keyboards for their split space bars and near-perfect layouts, but I use the number keys so much, I can't go less than 60% without a drop in productivity.  That's why I designed (with help from the geekhack community) this 60% with a 1.5u vertical function key and a SpaceFn function layer.  If I had the knowledge and tools to design a PCB, I would have made this by now.  I could hand wire it, but I'm dependent on Swill's plate builder to design the case and it's such a chore to use LibreCAD to make even the simple modifications I want to make to the case design that the plate builder produces.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/0ce9164b4bbb0cf9f7228ecc3f3fcd4f
(Attachment Link)

I'm interested in MOZ's TS-65 and Skullydazed's Clueboard because they allow me to achieve something very close to my layout, but they both have an extra column of keys that I could do without.

["~\n`", "!\n1", "@\n2", "#\n3", "$\n4", "%\n5", "^\n6", {"x": 1}, "&\n7", "*\n8", "(\n9", ")\n0", "_\n-", "+\n=", {"c": "#777777"}, "Ins", "Del", "Home"],
[{"w": 1.5},"Tab",{"c": "#cccccc"},"Q","W","E","R","T",{"x": 1},"Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{"w": 1.5},"|\n\\",{"c": "#777777"},"End"],
[{"w": 1.75},"Ctrl",{"c": "#cccccc"},"A","S","D","F","G",{"x": 1},"H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{"c": "#777777","w": 2.25},"Enter","Page\n\n\n\n\n\nUp"],
[{"w": 2.25},"Shift",{"c": "#cccccc"},"Z","X","C","V","B",{"x": 1},"N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{"c": "#777777","w": 1.75},"Shift",{"c": "#cccccc","a": 7,"f": 9},"&uarr;",{"c": "#777777","a": 4,"f": 3},"Page\n\n\n\n\n\nDn"],
[{"w": 1.25},"Esc",{"w": 1.25},"Win",{"w": 1.25},"Alt",{"x": 2.5},"Fun",{"x": 1,"c": "#cccccc","a": 7,"w": 2},"",{"c": "#777777","a": 4,"w": 1.25},"Alt",{"w": 1.25},"Menu",{"w": 1.25}, "Ctrl", {"c": "#cccccc","a": 7,"f": 9},"&larr;","&darr;","&rarr;"],
(Attachment Link)

["~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9", ")\n0",    "_\n-","+\n=",{"c": "#777777"},"Home","End",{"x": 0.5},"Page\n\n\n\n\n\nUp"],
[{"w": 1.5},"Tab",{"c": "#cccccc"},"Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{"w": 1.5},"|\n\\",{"x": 0.5,"c": "#777777"},"Page\n\n\n\n\n\nDown"],
[{"w": 1.75},"Ctrl",{"c": "#cccccc"},"A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{"c": "#777777","w": 2.25},"Enter"],
[{"w": 2.25},"Shift",{"c": "#cccccc"},"Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{"c": "#777777","w": 2.25},"Shift",{"c": "#cccccc","a": 7,"f": 7},"&uarr;"],
[{"c": "#777777","a": 4,"f": 3,"w": 1.25},"Esc","Win",{"w": 1.25},"Alt",{"w": 1.25},"しません\n\n\n\n\n\n無変換",{"c": "#cccccc","w": 2},"Backspace",
{"a": 7,"w": 2},"",{"c": "#777777","a": 4,"w": 1.25},"しません\n\n\n\n\n\n変換",{"w": 1.25},"Alt","Fun",{"w": 1.25},"Ctrl",{"c": "#cccccc","a": 7,"f": 7},"&larr;","&darr;","&rarr;"]
(Attachment Link)

I may still buy a Clueboard when aluminum plates for the FC660M are back in stock.
i'm with you on the TS-65
i have a design that is very similar to yours as well called the hackdura (previously known as ultrahack) its similar to quite afew other designs around the 60% family. seems everyone really likes the 60% but also likes to add about 5 more keys to one side and split the space bar xD

good stuff here tho!  :thumb:
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 06:43:24 »
haha thanks man. yeah the CNC is awesome. love making stuff.
its cool to go from idea to reality in afew hours

I'm seriously considering one of these Stepcraft machines:
https://stepcraft.us/product/stepcraft-2600-desktop-cnc-system/

It *seems* like a good deal, but I'm still researching options and going through the training vids to see what it's all about.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 10:25:29 »
haha thanks man. yeah the CNC is awesome. love making stuff.
its cool to go from idea to reality in afew hours

I'm seriously considering one of these Stepcraft machines:
https://stepcraft.us/product/stepcraft-2600-desktop-cnc-system/

It *seems* like a good deal, but I'm still researching options and going through the training vids to see what it's all about.
Get a Shapoko or an open builders cbeam machine.

sent from my chess board

Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:51:13 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

i have a design that is very similar to yours as well called the hackdura (previously known as ultrahack) its similar to quite afew other designs around the 60% family. seems everyone really likes the 60% but also likes to add about 5 more keys to one side and split the space bar xD

I like the Hackdura.  My initial reaction was to dismiss it because of the non-staggered number row.  Then I decided to practice typing between the keys on the number row and I think that design has merit.  Typing numbers seemed to be easier on the pinky, ring, and middle finger.  Typing numbers with the index finger was tiring and awkward almost right away.  I don't know if that would improve with practice, or if my physiology is not suited to that layout.  But typing anything on the number row with my right pinky is a gamble, and the Hackdura appears to eliminate that issue for me.  Also, I saw your 35% build and it has inspired me to go ahead and build my 60% board.  I have a router.  Building a jig to cut a wood case should be the most difficult part of building my keyboard.  Swill's already taken care of the plate design.  All I have to do is use the plate builder to make the plate, instead of the whole case, then maybe tweak the bottom edge in LibreCAD.  I can drill mounting holes in the plate and case myself. 

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:53:45 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I like the Hackdura.  My initial reaction was to dismiss it because of the non-staggered number row.  Then I decided to practice typing between the keys on the number row and I think that design has merit.  Typing numbers seemed to be easier on the pinky, ring, and middle finger.  Typing numbers with the index finger was tiring and awkward almost right away.  I don't know if that would improve with practice, or if my physiology is not suited to that layout.  But typing anything on the number row with my right pinky is a gamble, and the Hackdura appears to eliminate that issue for me.  Also, I saw your 35% build and it has inspired me to go ahead and build my 60% board.  I have a router.  Building a jig to cut a wood case should be the most difficult part of building my keyboard.  Swill's already taken care of the plate design.  All I have to do is use the plate builder to make the plate, instead of the whole case, then maybe tweak the bottom edge in LibreCAD.  I can drill mounting holes in the plate and case myself.

sounds like your well on your way! if you want some help perhaps we can work something out ive been wanting a hackdura myself. PM me
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 08:31:36 »
i would like to premise this next layout as "I am a raging lunatic"
Symbolic Lisp and Space cadet had a baby with the IBM and i call it the Astronaut. this would be a battle station. and im really considering making it one day. 

145032-0

and yes the top double F row would be raised and angled like the IBM boards usually are.

yes its full of useless keys that would likely never be used. but who cares. its massive and would scare people away from my desk.
Projects

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 08:42:32 »
Symbolic Lisp and Space cadet had a baby with the IBM and i call it the Astronaut. this would be a battle station. and im really considering making it one day. 

(Attachment Link)

and yes the top double F row would be raised and angled like the IBM boards usually are.

yes its full of useless keys that would likely never be used. but who cares. its massive and would scare people away from my desk.

Those media keys though :eek: Will this be used as a mixing device for recording music?!

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 08:50:40 »

(Attachment Link)

Those media keys though :eek: Will this be used as a mixing device for recording music?!
Probably not. More world domination or melee  weapons in the zombie apocalypse

sent from my chess board

Projects

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 08:58:05 »
I'm looking to build a numpad and got in on the amazing chocolatier set on massdrop.

Can't tell if I like the numpad on the right or the left.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 09:01:56 »
I'm looking to build a numpad and got in on the amazing chocolatier set on massdrop.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Can't tell if I like the numpad on the right or the left.
Both look really cool. Awesome layouts. I love accessory keyboards.

sent from my chess board

Projects

Offline ryan92084

• Consumer ****
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 09:18:44 »
Truefox layout with F row and numpad. Whitewolf? Idk
(Attachment Link)
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/868c7f960a3f5c84af9dd8dd8e777f6b

I wish someone made keyboards that have left side numpads (I think there was one keyboard that let you swap sides).  I'm a righty but work have a pencil in my right and calculator in my left for work a lot so switching to a right side numpad always feels super awkward.  I've settled on ordering a smart68 and I'll pick up a separate numpad for when I need it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 August 2016, 09:20:52 by ryan92084 »

RiP *ucky Shine(ing)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 09:20:43 »
Truefox layout with F row and numpad. Whitewolf? Idk
(Attachment Link)
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/868c7f960a3f5c84af9dd8dd8e777f6b

I'd love if someone made left hand numpads (I think there was one keyboard that let you swap sides).  I'm a righty but work with a pencil in my right and numpad in my left for work a lot so the right side numpad always feels super awkward.  I've settled on ordering a smart68 and I'll pick up a separate numpad.

i think there are afew Left handed keyboards out there but not sure if any are mech. you could design and have one built. as a thought.
Projects

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 09:44:12 »

(Attachment Link)

sent from my chess board

Sorry, maybe I wrote it out so that it seemed like I was going for that tongue and cheek effect. 2u media keys are very unusual indeed :)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 09:49:04 »

(Attachment Link)

sent from my chess board

Sorry, maybe I wrote it out so that it seemed like I was going for that tongue and cheek effect. 2u media keys are very unusual indeed :)

well they may or may not be used for media keys i just put something on the keys when designing it. its based on these boards. also inspired by the old massive battle station terminals of old.
145039-0145041-1145043-2
Projects

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 10:00:52 »

(Attachment Link)

sent from my chess board

well they may or may not be used for media keys i just put something on the keys when designing it. its based on these boards. also inspired by the old massive battle station terminals of old.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Ahhh, I did the same for the Stardust. I may have used one of those battleships when I first learned to use DOS as a lil' tyke :)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 10:11:50 »

(Attachment Link)

sent from my chess board

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Ahhh, I did the same for the Stardust. I may have used one of those battleships when I first learned to use DOS as a lil' tyke :)

nice

yeah its kinda sad the days of the battle station keyboards are gone. they need to come back. i have a steel series something or another and its a freaking boat (i hate the damn rubber dome toting pile of trash) finally got a replacement for it thank god. but i can go bigger xD i need to put that steel series on ebay or on the free stuff thread. ugh or trash can.
Projects

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 10:30:55 »
I think an ergo TKL something like this would be good, there's space at the bottom for a thumb cluster or two but without a printer I can't work out what goes where.  Would probably land up being pretty tall, but plenty of room for a mouse next to it so all  good.

Code: [Select]
[{x:0.75,a:7},"Esc",{x:5.25},"PrtSc","Scroll Lock","Pause\nBreak",{x:5.75},"Del"],
[{y:0.5,x:7},"Insert","Home","PgUp"],
[{x:7},"Delete","End","PgDn"],
[{y:3,x:8},"Up"],
[{x:7},"Right","Down","Left"],
[{r:35,rx:3.5,y:1,x:1},"F1","F2","F3","F4",{x:0.5},"F5","F6"],
["`","1","2","3","4","5","6"],
[{x:-0.5,w:1.5},"TAB","Q","W","E","R","T"],
[{x:-0.5,w:1.75},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G"],
[{x:-0.5,w:1.25},"Shift","\\","Z","X","C","V"],
[{x:0.5,w:1.75},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.5},"Alt"],
[{r:-35,rx:5.25,ry:1.5,y:4.6,x:1.5},"F7","F8",{x:0.5},"F9","F10","F11","F12"],
[{x:2},"7","8","9","0","-","="],
[{x:1.35},"Y","U","I","O","P","[","]"],
[{x:1.6},"H","J","K","L",";","'","#"],
[{x:1.35},"B","N","M",",",".","/","Shift"],
[{x:2,w:1.5},"Alt Gr",{w:1.25},"Menu",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.5},"Ctrl"]

If you want to make it into an ambidextrous battlestation add a numberpad both sides, I'm sure you'll find a use for the spare one :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Digit

• today, a keyboard. tmro, a spaceship.
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 14:43:56 »
nice thread.  interesting layouts.

something like this is interesting to me.

work in progress, as seen in digit's aspirational keyboard notions thread
tho i've little idea what the keys will do... where they'll all go.   what are the bottom row keys?  what's on the large thumb key portions?  could the esc be that unique coloured key between numpad and number row, instead of the big corner button?
still... it's nice.  ;D
if ignorance is bliss, give me agony.
~~~~~~~ let there be hemp ~~~~~~~
spaceships for everyone.  solves all.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 14:12:09 »
i give you the Rook
146181-0

and the Castle
146183-1

maybe the names should be reversed
Projects

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 14:32:05 »
i give you the Rook
(Attachment Link)

and the Castle
(Attachment Link)

Definitely named wrong - the first one has merlons!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 14:33:25 »
i give you the Rook
(Attachment Link)

and the Castle
(Attachment Link)

Definitely named wrong - the first one has merlons!

haha yeah.

ugh so may layouts... so little time
Projects

Offline decker

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 14:34:12 »
i give you the Rook
(Attachment Link)

and the Castle
(Attachment Link)

You forgot to say : "sent from my chess board"

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 14:34:48 »
i give you the Rook
(Attachment Link)

and the Castle
(Attachment Link)

You forgot to say : "sent from my chess board"

thats only when i post from tapatalk on my phone LOL
Projects

Offline Hydra04

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 15:45:56 »
Ok, I think that I've found the right thread to post my idea. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am interested in 40% but I also love the Leopold fc660 design. I combined the two things to create the following layout, what do you think?
Do you have any suggestion?

My target would be to build and test it... Even though I'm still trying to figure out how to do it.

More
It would also be my first soldering job and I'm a bit skeptical about my abilities :-[

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 17:32:28 »
Ok, I think that I've found the right thread to post my idea. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am interested in 40% but I also love the Leopold fc660 design. I combined the two things to create the following layout, what do you think?

Show Image

My target would be to build and test it... Even though I'm still trying to figure out how to do it.

More
It would also be my first soldering job and I'm a bit skeptical about my abilities :-[

that is pretty interesting! good stuff.
Projects

Offline decker

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 02:51:14 »
I've been working on this layout idea for some time.
It's discussed here in its earliest form and archived here in its latest form.

This is the us-qwerty version.
You can find all the symbols and qwerty function.
The AltGr layer is not shown, it would be comprised of us-qwerty characters...
There is room for improvements, but at some point it's just personal tastes or habits.

5x15.5 - staggered (40% + symbol row + 3/4 numpad)
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2016, 03:01:52 by decker »

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 06:34:12 »
30%
146338-0

This needs a small introduction. For my first mechanical keyboard (GH60) I bought a €52 cherry keyboard for its red Cherry MX switches. Since I had the plate left and I wanted to try to wire my own keyboard. I figured I'd use the arrow and numpad part for trying out. And  because I never got used to WASD I wanted the arrow keys for gaming since I'm old school (combined with a Logitech G502 because I'm not thát old school) and never. So this is what I did and I got it to work with some excellent help from; Suicidal_Orange, jdcarpe, Tactile, a-c and Moistgun.

Now that I know the very basics (of wiring and TMK) I want to go a step further and make a full mini keyboard out of it. So this is my design so far. Mind I'm restricted by the numpad plate layout. If I get it to work and it's actually practical (enough) in use I might make a new lay-out with only 1u keys (thus adding a few keys).

Some important notes:
- Top row symbols: layer one*
Second row symbols: layer 2 (FN1)
Third row symbols:layer 3 (FN2)
- As you can see there's no shift key. I asked around and it might be possible to program it so that a long press on a key would represent shift. So pressing 'g' for a longer period results in 'G' ('shift g' basically). The reason I want it to be this way is that I want to prevent having to press multiple keys when I have to press an FN key to access a letter/symbol in row 2 or 3.
- When rotated 90 degrees it will turn into regular arrows and numpad (switch mode).
- I'm gonna need relegendable keys. (I'll soon start a classified)

* I chose the letters on how frequently they're used in the Dutch language. Position of the letters I did semi-intuitive.
In Dutch a lot of words end with 'en' for instance. Also for example, the words 'en' (and), 'de' (the), 'is' (is), dat (that), dit (this) are also often used. As you can see they are all accessible in layer one and the letters are close to each to easily combine them.
The same is true for the other symbols (the ones I use most frequently are easiest accessible), although I might switch them around if it's not the case in practice. But this is something for later.

As I'm writing this I see I forgot about the zero. Suggestions as where to place it are welcome. As are any other suggestions of course.  ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 07:00:57 by Dwarlorf »

E5XKBP10140                 GH60 Iso/Ansi hybrid, cherry mx red

Offline decker

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 10:14:14 »

A 40% Leopold fc660, why not if you like Leopold fc660 !
I never tried it, but the empty space on the right feels in contradiction with the point of making a smaller kb.

30%
As I'm writing this I see I forgot about the zero. Suggestions as where to place it are welcome. As are any other suggestions of course.  ;)

That is a pretty uncommon layout.
If you put a link on keyboard layout editor, I'll play with it.
About the 0, just put it under your 2 and put your choice of decimal mark under 3.
Use your layers on the arrows if you are missing space for some of the symbols...
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 10:58:49 by decker »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 10:30:05 »
30%
(Attachment Link)

This needs a small introduction. For my first mechanical keyboard (GH60) I bought a €52 cherry keyboard for its red Cherry MX switches. Since I had the plate left and I wanted to try to wire my own keyboard. I figured I'd use the arrow and numpad part for trying out. And  because I never got used to WASD I wanted the arrow keys for gaming since I'm old school (combined with a Logitech G502 because I'm not thát old school) and never. So this is what I did and I got it to work with some excellent help from; Suicidal_Orange, jdcarpe, Tactile, a-c and Moistgun.

Now that I know the very basics (of wiring and TMK) I want to go a step further and make a full mini keyboard out of it. So this is my design so far. Mind I'm restricted by the numpad plate layout. If I get it to work and it's actually practical (enough) in use I might make a new lay-out with only 1u keys (thus adding a few keys).

Some important notes:
- As you can see there's no shift key. I asked around and it might be possible to program it so that a long press on a key would represent shift. So pressing 'g' for a longer period results in 'G' ('shift g' basically). The reason I want it to be this way is that I want to prevent having to press multiple keys when I have to press an FN key to access a letter/symbol in row 2 or 3.
- When rotated 90 degrees it will turn into regular arrows and numpad (switch mode).

* I chose the letters on how frequently they're used in the Dutch language. Position of the letters I did semi-intuitive.
In Dutch a lot of words end with 'en' for instance. Also for example, the words 'en' (and), 'de' (the), 'is' (is), dat (that), dit (this) are also often used. As you can see they are all accessible in layer one and the letters are close to each to easily combine them.
The same is true for the other symbols (the ones I use most frequently are easiest accessible), although I might switch them around if it's not the case in practice. But this is something for later.

Pretty awesome one-handed keyboard layout :)

I have a question for ya, though. Is that a pipe or an extra I (under SP)?

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 18:24:03 »
i give you the Rook
(Attachment Link)

and the Castle
(Attachment Link)

If you make a Knight keyboard, you should give it a BAE.

Show Image

More
The FC660 is a good-looking keyboard, but the thing's nearly as big as a full TKL.  The best feature of 40% boards is the small space bar.  If you incorporate a SpaceFn layer or use TouchCursor, you could free up your arrow keys for other functions.  Having the third function key also gives you a lot of options.

30%
(Attachment Link)

Some important notes:

Have you experimented with a diamond-shaped arrow cluster?  If you could get the timing set up right, having upper case on long press would be a great feature.

Offline decker

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 00:46:07 »
My dream layout:

I would be afraid that numbers and math operations are too awkward to type as you have the decimal mark and the operators far from the numpad...
I think it would be much more usable with this layout :

Dream of ice
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 August 2016, 13:58:45 by decker »

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 05:00:09 »

Pretty awesome one-handed keyboard layout :)

I have a question for ya, though. Is that a pipe or an extra I (under SP)?

30%

That is a pretty uncommon layout.
If you put a link on keyboard layout editor, I'll play with it.
About the 0, just put it under your 2 and put your choice of decimal mark under 3.
Use your layers on the arrows if you are missing space for some of the symbols...

Have you experimented with a diamond-shaped arrow cluster?  If you could get the timing set up right, having upper case on long press would be a great feature.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I gave this keyboard its own thread where I answered these questions. If you would be so kind as to reply there.

Offline Hydra04

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 06:12:08 »
Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

Show Image

More
The FC660 is a good-looking keyboard, but the thing's nearly as big as a full TKL.  The best feature of 40% boards is the small space bar.  If you incorporate a SpaceFn layer or use TouchCursor, you could free up your arrow keys for other functions.  Having the third function key also gives you a lot of options.

The spaceFN would be a really good option. My initial idea was to have "only" 3 fn layers where the arrow cluster would have become pag up/down, home/end with fn1 and some media keys with fn2 (volume up/down, next/previous track). I was thinking to use fn3 for the number-layer thus the arrow keys could again be useful.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 13:42:59 »
My dream layout:

I would be afraid that numbers and math operations are two awkward to type as you have the decimal mark and the operators far from the numpad...

Dream of ice
Show Image

Who said anything about math? Also I try to keep standard key sizes.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline decker

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 14:01:26 »

I did.
You share your 'dream'.
I'm pointing things, I feel useful that you didn't include.
Good for you if you can live without math.

Offline lac29

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 14:15:34 »
I'm a fan of the space-fn-space layout to replace the traditional spacebar. Fitting in an arrow cluster and numpad would be bonus but I think the real innovation/difference is removing the traditional spacebar and implementing a split spacebar/function layout.

I do like that dream setup decker.

Offline Edde

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 00:18:00 »
Not a so original layout, but I'm wondering why it's not so common to stick the numpad in the middle.
146719-0
 - Longer distance between hands, more ergonomic.
 - Easier for left-handed users
 - Shorter travel distance for the right/left hand.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/156bdc4d80260b1f0343f8b9e03b9eb4 Hopefully the link works.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 05:37:55 »
Not a so original layout, but I'm wondering why it's not so common to stick the numpad in the middle.
(Attachment Link)
 - Longer distance between hands, more ergonomic.
 - Easier for left-handed users
 - Shorter travel distance for the right/left hand.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/156bdc4d80260b1f0343f8b9e03b9eb4 Hopefully the link works.
Cool.

sent from my chess board

Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 12:43:26 »
revised one of my layouts. i think i may have to make this a reality

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/9f8413f560a6f19d556c81154b5e2442
Projects

Offline decker

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 13:52:49 »

Do you use the right Alt-Win-Menu and Ctrl keys ?
I never do, well apart from the Alt which is an Alt Gr on an ISO keyboard.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 13:54:03 »

Do you use the right Alt-Win-Menu and Ctrl keys ?
I never do, well apart from the Alt which is an Alt Gr on an ISO keyboard.

not really but i figured i'd leave them since i added other keys other places. if nothing else for place holders.

but the simple question is no. well sometimes the windows key
Projects

Offline regack

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:33:20 »

My dream layout:

I would be afraid that numbers and math operations are two awkward to type as you have the decimal mark and the operators far from the numpad...

Dream of ice
Show Image

I feel like I should live in this thread since nothing I've really made lately has been... normal... I'm just not around much.  Anyway, I built something similar to this about a year ago:

Since there are no legends, the astute will notice that there are only 12 keys across the home row (with 4 more for the numpad area on the right), since it shares the same basis as my "59%" keyboard:

Anyway, I'm not sure why I posted here, but I like this layout, it worked well for me.  I don't use either of these as much lately since changing jobs, however. 

With the same idea in mind, I started working on a 40% board:
147035-0
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/6bb8a546709c538d1010

I built it, but mapped the keys more traditionally.  I'm a little torn on this, because I like the back-lighting enough that I don't want to remap the keys to fit the other boards - I'd rather have the keys mapped like the other two boards, but I'm slowly getting used to the idea.  I know this one isn't really totally out there, but it's still kind of out of the ordinary.

« Last Edit: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:42:07 by regack »

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:37:45 »

My dream layout:

Dream of ice
Show Image

I feel like I should live in this thread since nothing I've really made lately has been... normal... I'm just not around much.  Anyway, I built something similar to this about a year ago:

Show Image

Since there are no legends, the astute will notice that there are only 12 keys across the home row (with 4 more for the numpad area on the right), since it shares the same basis as my "59%" keyboard:

Show Image

Anyway, I'm not sure why I posted here, but I like this layout, it worked well for me.  I don't use either of these as much lately since changing jobs, however.

i like that aluminum extrusion stuff. is that from 80/20? details i must have them.
Projects

Offline regack

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:48:22 »

i like that aluminum extrusion stuff. is that from 80/20? details i must have them.

That extrusion is MicroRax - it's 10mm square.  I looked at open beam or maker beam, but I had some of this from another project, and liked it, so I just got some more for the casing.  It's a little larger than a sandwich case might be, but it means I only have to have a top plate laser cut.

I have a 4x5 keypad, those two keyboards, and this crazy gamepad all made with it.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/9568333f886857914a0b570f82905931
147037-0

« Last Edit: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:52:58 by regack »

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:56:11 »

That extrusion is MicroRax - it's 10mm square.  I looked at open beam or maker beam, but I had some of this from another project, and liked it, so I just got some more for the casing.  It's a little larger than a sandwich case might be, but it means I only have to have a top plate laser cut.

I have a 4x5 keypad, those two keyboards, and this crazy gamepad all made with it.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/9568333f886857914a0b570f82905931
(Attachment Link)

nice. and not too pricey either.
Projects

Offline decker

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 15:08:46 »

Thanks for sharing, nice N7 touch.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 19:53:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

(Attachment Link)
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/6bb8a546709c538d1010

I built it, but mapped the keys more traditionally.  I'm a little torn on this, because I like the back-lighting enough that I don't want to remap the keys to fit the other boards - I'd rather have the keys mapped like the other two boards, but I'm slowly getting used to the idea.  I know this one isn't really totally out there, but it's still kind of out of the ordinary.

I still love that 59% layout.  That 40% layout looks good but having to press 2 keys to get a left shift function seems like it would be a little too awkward, considering how frequently shift keys are used.

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 19:09:17 »
Edit: I renamed them Space Control

'opposites feature'

147361-0

When my '30% experiment' is finished this might be its (final) successor.

2 more but I don't think I like them as much

147359-1

147357-2
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 September 2016, 05:20:22 by Dwarlorf »