Author Topic: Anybody into vtubers?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline sasukex9x9x9

Anybody into vtubers?
« on: Sun, 28 August 2022, 14:04:54 »
Recently got into Vtubers (ie https://dereproject.com/vtuber/whats-a-vtuber/ FYI) and have been thinking more and more about getting some custom keys 3D printed with my top pics. Suisei is of course going to be there x2...

Anybody else thought of this?? I can't be the only one  ;D

Offline Findecanor

Re: Anybody into vtubers?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 August 2022, 14:13:43 »
I watch Ki-bo-do nyu-su every week ...
That counts as Vtubers, right? :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 August 2022, 16:10:59 by Findecanor »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 August 2022, 15:39:59 »
No, I absolutely hate the entire concept of people hiding even further for a 'job' that basically already requires zero skill and overhead. Not even having to put their real face on cam, the epitome of being nothing for a living, you can't even be you.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 August 2022, 15:43:16 »
No, I absolutely hate the entire concept of people hiding even further for a 'job' that basically already requires zero skill and overhead. Not even having to put their real face on cam, the epitome of being nothing for a living, you can't even be you.

Not everyone is born with a Famous-able face though.   This evens the playing field a bit for streaming, it's not totally bad.

In Kpop it's not enough if you can sing and dance,  you also need cosmetic surgery to compete.   

1 ladder down,  what if you can't afford cosmetic surgery ?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 August 2022, 16:18:34 »
Then there's Ironmouse, who in real life has a medical condition that keeps her in bed.
While her Vtuber persona is supposedly fictional, now and then she slips a dark tidbit from her real life. I don't blame her for using a fake face.

(I don't follow her, but I often watch a couple youtubers two degrees away or so, so The Algorithm keeps feeding me her videos ..)
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 August 2022, 16:25:56 by Findecanor »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 August 2022, 17:43:21 »
I've tried watching some of these vtubers a while ago but they just can't hold my attention. First of all they're always mega clickbaity because almost nothing ever actually happens, and second, it's boring as ****.

I reckon if they are interesting enough, someone else will do a video about them, anyway.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 August 2022, 18:32:32 »
Most of utube is a trap / public psychosis programming machine. 

Minimal usage recommended.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 August 2022, 23:30:24 »
Yes

Found another streaming Kicad as well

Offline Coreda

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 01:10:27 »

The idea is someone has a voice that's suited for listening rather than showing. Like, radio, podcasts, etc. In this case it's paired to some visual character that suits the voice, like animations.

Take say, chyros, who I've never seen but I like their voice. The illusion might be shattered if I had a face to pair it to, like various voices where I've seen their face. Even more ideal for women who are judged more harshly for their appearance particularly in the entertainment space. Consider the lengths some desperate on-camera streamers go to when they know their audience is comprised of many there for their looks, compared to v-tubers just providing a voice.

Either way, if anyone is broadcasting for hours regularly, having to keep up being lively while talking and engaging with strangers I think it's suited for some more than others.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 August 2022, 01:12:34 by Coreda »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 01:47:18 »
Take say, chyros, who I've never seen but I like their voice. The illusion might be shattered if I had a face to pair it to, like various voices where I've seen their face.
You're definitely right, I'm butt ugly and probably younger than you imagined xD . My face is in all my Q&A videos if you're curious xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Coreda

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 October 2022, 01:40:46 »
This is an interesting example where the video author is using a pretty convincing realistic male head for their pseudo-webcam in a tutorial video, with the eyes, mouth and head mapped to theirs.

It visually matches their British voice which makes it slip in and out of the uncanny valley but mostly sells it. Great pairing to retain some visual anonymity while appeasing the demographic who moan in video comments about the lack of a selfie cam.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 October 2022, 07:46:55 »

The idea is someone has a voice that's suited for listening rather than showing. Like, radio, podcasts, etc. In this case it's paired to some visual character that suits the voice, like animations.

Take say, chyros, who I've never seen but I like their voice. The illusion might be shattered if I had a face to pair it to, like various voices where I've seen their face. Even more ideal for women who are judged more harshly for their appearance particularly in the entertainment space. Consider the lengths some desperate on-camera streamers go to when they know their audience is comprised of many there for their looks, compared to v-tubers just providing a voice.

Either way, if anyone is broadcasting for hours regularly, having to keep up being lively while talking and engaging with strangers I think it's suited for some more than others.

means you haven't watched enough of his videos - as mentioned from the man himself, he does show his face from time to time.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 01:37:29 »
Recently got into Vtubers (ie https://dereproject.com/vtuber/whats-a-vtuber/ FYI) and have been thinking more and more about getting some custom keys 3D printed with my top pics. Suisei is of course going to be there x2...

Anybody else thought of this?? I can't be the only one  ;D

Been quite into them for around 2 years now, mod for a fair few. I haven't considered 3d printing keycaps because my printer isn't dialed in for the accuracy I'd consider acceptable to type on yet, but I've definitely considered making themed boards. I've ended up being the keyboard guy for a number of streamers and communities now...for better or worse.

If you get some good keycaps printed definitely post 'em up! I think it'd be awesome to see.

If it's so easy, I would strongly encourage you to show it by doing so successfully with "zero skill and overhead," because from what I've seen it requires a significant amount of skill in entertainment, business, and community management as well as an extremely high financial overhead that must be maintained through equipment and assets, the latter of which generally needs to be re-done at occasional interviews to continue offering something new or to keep up with tech advances with models. Multiple streamers I know have over $2k into emotes alone, let alone their models, overlays, alerts, etc. For many, not putting their face on cam is what allows them to be themselves due to reducing anxiety or removing the risk of doxxing (this is the case for a few I know due to work concerns).

It's perfectly fine to dislike vtubers, if they're not you're thing then I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise, but at least hold valid and well-backed reasons for it. This is as if I was hating on SA keycaps and then saying that I don't like them because they're too short and flat of a profile.
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 07:33:55 »
no  :D
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 12:08:16 »
a 'job' that basically already requires zero skill and overhead.
While you can do Youtube from a cellphone and little else, the skill part is very blatantly wrong.

Youtube is a constant grind.
Miss a day, you lose a week of growth, the algorithm you chase is always changing (without notice), trends always changing, by the time you reach the point of gaining some real traction (unless you go viral), odds are you will burn out. If you do go viral you miss a critical bunch of learning and force you to rely on more and more viral videos which need to be made at all costs in order to stay relevant.

There's also editing skills. filler, and the chore of coming up with new ideas, the latter is why so many older youtubers end up as slice of life rather than the original content because there's only so much content you can make about something that rarely changes, this goes double if their old format involved their job which they quit once becoming popular. It also pays HORRIBLY and that's if you can avoid being demonitized or copyright struck, or as has become a thing now, fake copyright strikes. Combine all of that with Google's extreme lack of communication when things go wrong and it makes for an absolutely terrible way to make a living and it all can come crashing down in an instant.

It can take YEARS to reach 1000 subs or earn your first paycheck and it's actually gotten more difficult, not easier.

Do vtubers have it easier?
Yes and no. While it may be easier to start it's also a trend, meaning it's more difficult to stand out and stay relevant long term. It can also put them in a box leaving them stuck. What happens when that trend starts to fall out of favor? They're currently enjoying a viral boost but when that's over they'll have to actually compete and most will just simply not be able to do so.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 14:38:00 »
These types of phenomena were depicted presciently in Westerfeld's novel Extras and it has turned out to be almost spooky.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/493456.Extras

I remember reading the book about 15 years ago (sometime shortly before Youtube became "a thing") and thinking that it was a funny idea that could have a germ of truth to it. As I watched Youtube and its ilk expand and then explode in popularity, I often think back to that book. And then even The Orville had an episode where real-time "popularity" score/status was an important social currency in a society.

But the answer to the question is a resounding NO and I do not give a flip about "influencers" and/or their influence.

- however I do enjoy the Chyros keyboard reviews ! -
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.