Author Topic: New to ergo keyboards, have a simple question  (Read 2819 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New to ergo keyboards, have a simple question
« on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 03:26:54 »
I am testing out a Microsoft 4000 ergo keyboard. If it works out adn I like the keyboard after a couple weeks, I am thinking about getting a Kinesis Advantage. I write a lot, and have not had any form of carpal tunnel, but I want to see if these are more comfy than a standard 'board.

My question is this: If I like the Microsoft kb, does that mean the Kinesis layout will be more to my liking or is buying one still a big shot in the dark?

Offline mikelanding

New to ergo keyboards, have a simple question
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 04:09:06 »
The layout is different btw the 2.
Kinesis layout make use of both your thumbs more that just spacebar

I have RSI. Kinesis help me to work long hour without causing more pain.

If you are a touch type person. You will have not much problem adapt the Kinesis Layout. Took me 1 months+ to gain back my normal speed.
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Re: New to ergo keyboards, have a simple question
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 04:24:06 »
That's the thing, I'm a key-watcher (don't tell anyone!) so would I even like a Kinesis?

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 04:32:00 »
That's the thing, I'm a key-watcher (don't tell anyone!) so would I even like a Kinesis?

I've wondered about that too. I think having a keyboard with the halves separated that far apart would soon make you lose  your key-watching habit.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 07:06:52 »
I relate the same story to everyone in this situation, only cuz it's personal...

i used a msergo4k for 5 years
i got into mechs
i wanted a mech msergo4k
didn't exist
i made one, then i made a better one (see sig)
while making the better one, i got a kinesis to try and test out ( i was really getting into concave and matrix so i needed a reference)
i put away my mech msergo4k (so i wouldn't rely on it) and used the kinesis exclusively, took 1 week to "almost" get up to speed on it.
i finished making my 2nd msergo4k with kinesis additions (thumb buttons)

i'm using the kinesis

for key-watchers, i think the layout of the kinesis lends itself to "fix" that issue, being that it is a matrix layout and not a staggered layout, one could even picture a mini spreadsheet in their mind's eye to touch type, as opposed to trying to picture a staggered layout in their mind's eye.

it's weird to explain but hey, i'm sure we're all used to a spreadsheet and it's easier to believe that column a is "qaz" and column b is "wsx" and row 2 is "asdfg".

but you've used mech's before, can't believe your testing out the msergo4k as is, with those (now that i''ve used mech's) horrible rubber domes, at least i remember the force being insanely high (and not ergonomic in that respect).

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 02:03:51 »
That makes perfect sense to me. This ergo is already starting to break that habit for me. I might just be able to fix a massive issue here on a test 'board. Sweet.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 12:03:41 »
just layout your ergo concerns dude, we're slowly trying to turn ppl around and save on carpal tunnel bills in the future!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 18:30:00 »
Here's what I can tell you as somebody that owned a staggered Kinesis Freestyle and Kinesis Advantage at the same time.  After typing on the Kinesis Advantage for a week, I immediately decided that I needed to get rid of the Freestyle because it was vastly inferior to the layout and feel the Advantage.  The thing I love about the Advantage is my hands never have to move to touch any keys except the arrow keys (because I reprogrammed those to the bottom row on the left side). 

As for being a key watcher, I type a whole lot better on the Kinesis when I am looking at the keys, but I think it has helped me improve as a touch typer because of the ergonomics, the need for accuracy, and I got the soft Cherry Red keys.  All have forced me to be softer with my touch.  My performance on staggered keyboards at work as improved as a result of using the Kinesis Advantage.

However, one thing I do have problems with is accidental key pressing because the Cherry Reds are so soft and have no tactile feedback. Not sure I would recommend the Reds for a heavy typist unless they are very accurate.  Of course, if you are mechanical keyboard veteran, you already know what kind of switch suits you best so go with that.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 23:11:05 »
Thanks for this input guys. I'm gonna give this Natural Elite a good run and see if I like it. It's only been a couple days but it's been a hard road. I am getting much better at not watching the keys, but I'm not used to the ergo setup. I'm looking into the Goldtouch v2 for PC. I think I could dig in on all those options and have fun getting it just right. I once tuned a dual 30 band EQ in my car stereo by ear. It took at least a month to get it just right. I'm into that sort of thing.

Plus, that keyboard is $85 as opposed to the $250 standard keyboard and all the extra pretty that goes with it I was planning.