Author Topic: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!  (Read 285377 times)

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated or stainless
« Reply #650 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 13:22:35 »
So what kind of layouts we're going to have during GB, if you can share info about it right now, of course.

All together these sizes/versions will be offered (80 is TKL):
- 60 STD, WKL, HHKB, YAS, Boardwalk
- 65 STD, Blocker-A, Blocker-AB
- 75 V1, V2
- 80 STD, WKL

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #651 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 13:25:27 »
This is what the 95% size will look like:

Show Image
Show Image

That looks weird without F13 or indicator lights. Consider adding F13?

« Reply #652 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 13:34:59 »
The PCB has support for one more key there, look:

237639-0

I just felt like it isn't needed there. But I could make a poll to decide whether or not this fifth key in the right upper group should be present. That key can be whatever you want it to be, F13 or else.
The F cluster will be kept the traditional way, meaning three groups of four keys each.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2020, 13:39:50 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #653 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 13:49:15 »

(Attachment Link)

I just felt like it isn't needed there. But I could make a poll to decide whether or not this fifth key in the right upper group should be present. That key can be whatever you want it to be, F13 or else.
The F cluster will be kept the traditional way, meaning three groups of four keys each.

I feel that this kind of top row is more appropriate for CP layouts. It's symmetric, more convenient and looks better too, imo. Boards that feature this kind of layout include: TX-CP, Zambumon SAR, BOK.CP. However, none of those boards offer both USB-C and this kind of compatibility, so I think SKB95 with this layout would have real potential.

I think it's more convenient primarily because it lets you put Delete above Backspace (an intuitive and common setup on smaller boards), while letting you keep Home, End, PgUp, PgDn above the numpad (the most setup for those keys on CP/1800).
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:06:24 by constexpr »

Offline wing1098

« Reply #654 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 13:58:59 »
Update, 75 and 95 will make it into the GB:

While I was set back, Maarten has finished the development of the 75% and 95% PCBs. That means they will not be done in a later round like I had announced before. All sizes will be available at once!

Two different case versions for 75%. Half right key column (V1) and full right key column (V2). Half right column offers better compatibility with OG cherry keysets and the free space right to the enter key is nice, I think.
Here are the two 75% versions (both set to a 12 degree angle):

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

This is what the 95% size will look like (set to an 8 degree angle):

Show Image
Show Image

The renderings show the cherry profile how it was originally designed, with R5 as bottom row and R0 as top/f-row.
Okay

Shut up and take my money

« Reply #655 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:02:26 »
I feel that this kind of top row is more appropriate for CP layouts. It's symmetric, more convenient and looks better too, imo. Boards that feature this kind of layout include: TX-CP, Zambumon SAR, BOK.CP. However, none of those boards offer both USB-C and this kind of compatibility, so I think SKB95 with this layout would have real potential.

Show Image

Symmetric, yes, but I think the orphant is a bit lost there.

PCB design is already done. It can be one of the following three, only no1 and no2 are good, imo:
237641-0 237643-1 237645-2

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #656 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:04:57 »
Appreciate the updates! Now the question is 75 V2 or TKL WKL...

Edit: I've decided I need both. Hopefully that will be possible :eek:
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:15:39 by steezkeez »

« Reply #657 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:07:09 »
All together these sizes/versions will be offered (80 is TKL):
- 60 STD, WKL, HHKB, YAS, Boardwalk
- 65 STD, Blocker-A, Blocker-AB
- 75 V1, V2
- 80 STD, WKL
Am mostly interested in 75. Glad it made it and in different variants too! Cheers!

Offline nuno99costa

« Reply #658 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:19:05 »
@PlastikSchnittstelle

Do you know which of the layouts will have support for Alps switches?

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

« Reply #659 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:33:34 »
None of the PCBs support ALPS switches and I don't like plates that have support for MX and ALPS combined. Makes MX switches sit less tight.
However, Maarten does have an ALPS version of his Plain60-C.
Not sure if there is enough interest, but I could offer a separate ALPS plate for that PCB. This way ALPS and MX stay separate. SKB2-60-ALPS-Edition?
Would you like that?

Offline nuno99costa

« Reply #660 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:37:15 »
@PlastikSchnittstelle Honestly was looking at the 95/75 options. Was thinking of using my AEK keycaps on this.

« Reply #661 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:42:32 »
might be nice, but sorry, can't do. already a lot. gotta draw the line somewhere.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #662 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:44:40 »
PCB design is already done. It can be one of the following three, only no1 and no2 are good, imo:
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Ah, that's a shame. Option #1 might not be bad, since it matches the spacing of the top-right corner of the 75%.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #663 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:46:19 »
This feels like it must be getting close.  I really appreciate the inside peek at how much thought and planning goes into properly organising a group buy like this.

Offline nuno99costa

« Reply #664 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:46:30 »
@PlastikSchnittstelle Honestly was looking at the 95/75 options. Was thinking of using my AEK keycaps on this.

Yeah I understand. You are already making a boatload of layouts. Will you provide PCB/plate files after the groupbuy? I might be able to buy one and design/build my own PCB and plate.

« Reply #665 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:51:26 »
Yes, sure I'll share the plate files. I can also assist making ALPS plates. I'm just not very experienced with ALPS plates, their stablizers in particular give me headaches.

Offline Nim

« Reply #666 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:55:48 »
Here's a possibly daft question: How are Boardwalk PCBs being done? Haven't seen any around at EU resellers for a while.

Good to hear about the plates as well, I'm most likely going to try my luck with a CF one, provided the fab I quoted for other stuff ever replies :p

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #667 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:58:08 »

Ah, that's a shame. Option #1 might not be bad, since it matches the spacing of the top-right corner of the 75%.

Here's what I mean:

« Reply #668 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:02:13 »
I know ;)
75 and 95 PCBs are identical, 95 just adds a portion. We even considered making both one PCB with a break-off portion, but decided against it.

Offline BWLR

• bowler caps
    • bowler caps
« Reply #669 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:02:21 »
Glad to hear you're feeling much better PlastikSchnittstelle and the project is going ahead full speed. So many fantastic options and I, like others, really appreciate how much thought and experience is going into this and how much you're sharing with us. At this rate I'd be interested in more than one. Maarten's PCB's are fantastic too so I'm super happy that you'll be using them.

Offline co0keiz

« Reply #670 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:06:46 »
It's getting harder to decide which layout to get.

« Reply #671 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:18:29 »

Here's what I mean:

Show Image
Show Image

And yes, I'm also leaning towards option 1 now.
Will update the renderings.

« Reply #672 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:24:11 »
Here's a possibly daft question: How are Boardwalk PCBs being done? Haven't seen any around at EU resellers for a while.

Shensmobile told me they will be offered via MKUltra, mentioned here. Not sure if he plans to offer them via a EU proxy as well.

Offline norb

« Reply #673 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:59:01 »
i would also vote for the F13 key, personally i don't have any use for it but just for optic reasons.
that said, i'm not sure yet if i should get a 95. 1u zero scares me :-[

Offline Nim

« Reply #674 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 16:58:55 »

Shensmobile told me they will be offered via MKUltra, mentioned here. Not sure if he plans to offer them via a EU proxy as well.

I'll hold off for a bit then before ordering one from MKUltra. Not having to deal with customs hassle myself would be nice

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #675 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 18:08:16 »

While I was set back, Maarten has finished the development of the 75% and 95% PCBs. That means they will not be done in a later round like I had announced before. All sizes will be available at once!

Two different case versions for 75%. Half right key column (V1) and full right key column (V2). Half right column offers better compatibility with OG cherry keysets and the free space right to the enter key is nice, I think.

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

The renderings show the cherry profile how it was originally designed, with R5 as bottom row and R0 as top/f-row.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :-*

Show Image

Plastik, this is so dope news! :p both the 75% and now a 1800 compact in on the gb now! <3

ALL my votes goes to layout nr2, having the extra key on layout nr1 looks pretty weird imo,
if you added a breakout for powering rgb leds or just 2 pin leds around the NCS area we could help our self later on with some additional holes for just something regular like this
237675-0

Edit.
Something like this would be cool, then it wouldn't hurt with or without indicators, just a quick mockup to get a idea, would be cool imo :)
237681-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 March 2020, 08:36:35 by RETURNISO »

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #676 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 19:30:39 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

I think it's more convenient primarily because it lets you put Delete above Backspace (an intuitive and common setup on smaller boards), while letting you keep Home, End, PgUp, PgDn above the numpad (the most setup for those keys on CP/1800).

Agree that this wld look better

« Reply #677 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 20:18:21 »
Banner added ;)

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103257.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/x2ZlmBY.png[/img][/url]

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #678 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 04:57:05 »
Im in love with that yellow 75%

Hell, I might even grab 2 boards cause I love all the layouts you've done, can't wait for GB time!

Offline donutsandhorses

« Reply #679 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 13:41:47 »
Will the 75 V1 and V2 both have plates to support different bottom row layouts? Or could we get a picture of the supported layouts with the key sizes? I'm new to this and just want to make sure I'm buying the right keycaps!

« Reply #680 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 13:47:24 »
Sure,
75V1 and V2 share the same plate and PCB of course.
The plate will support these layouts:

237695-0

Offline donutsandhorses

« Reply #681 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 14:11:49 »
Sure,

(Attachment Link)

Awesome, thanks!

Offline blighty

« Reply #682 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 14:17:02 »
Will this round have a smoother finish than round 1?  I couldn't get over or enjoy the chalkboard texture/feeling of it.
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

« Reply #683 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 14:25:18 »
SKB1 was something completely different. It was made from aluminum, and got anodized. SKB2 is made of steel and gets powder coated. These are two completely different types of surfaces that have nothing in common.

Tbo, after more comparing, I wasn't that happy about the chalkboard feeling either. None of the prototypes had this kind of surface feeling. That's one of the reasons why I don't want to do aluminum any more. Aluminum is a really unusual metal that has many pros but also lots of cons.
Steel and powder coating is both much more predictable.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 March 2020, 14:40:08 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline wing1098

« Reply #684 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 14:58:13 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

:eek: :eek: :eek: :-*

Show Image

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Plastik, this is so dope news! :p both the 75% and now a 1800 compact in on the gb now! <3

ALL my votes goes to layout nr2, having the extra key on layout nr1 looks pretty weird imo,
if you added a breakout for powering rgb leds or just 2 pin leds around the NCS area we could help our self later on with some additional holes for just something regular like this
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Edit.
Something like this would be cool, then it wouldn't hurt with or without indicators, just a quick mockup to get a idea, would be cool imo :)
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
Love it
The dots one look cool!

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #686 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 17:19:47 »
I'm one or the early birds, thought I was going to get a 60% but the 95% looks great!! I'd prefer it with the extra key up top though. Really cool layout 😁

What's the supposed issue with the Boardwalk PCBs? I still have one unbuilt one.

« Reply #687 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 17:33:10 »

(Attachment Link)

Edit.
(Attachment Link)

yes, assuming it will be nr2, that free spot would be a familiar place for indicator leds. your cutout proposals are quite nice. the thing is that the pcb is already done and does not have leds there. even if, the nature of the case would make it difficult for pcb surface leds to clearly shine through the wholes. you would not be able to tell the three leds apart from each other. you would need some kind of guide chanel, or mount the leds directly on the inside of the case behind the small cutout position. there are probably many more ways to do it, but the point is that I think these indicator leds shouldn't be added as an afterthought. if so, it should be consider in the beginning of the design process. the way it is now is clean and simple. it should stay that way. some keys have through hole led support, there it is possible to use windowed caps.

« Reply #688 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 17:35:20 »
Sure,

(Attachment Link)

No split space bar?

nope, sorry, only the simple stuff.
80/tkl has split support though.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #689 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 18:13:20 »
I still don't know if I want 60/65 or 75

Offline Nim

« Reply #690 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 18:37:27 »
I'm one or the early birds, thought I was going to get a 60% but the 95% looks great!! I'd prefer it with the extra key up top though. Really cool layout 😁

What's the supposed issue with the Boardwalk PCBs? I still have one unbuilt one.
It's more a case of rather not having to deal with the customs hassle that gets involved when buying directly from the US. It's a tad more convenient when I can snag it from a reseller. If there's no proxy, I'll just pick up a PCB and some foam from MKUltra when GB comes around

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #691 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 18:53:13 »

(Attachment Link)

Edit.
(Attachment Link)

yes, assuming it will be nr2, that free spot would be a familiar place for indicator leds. your cutout proposals are quite nice. the thing is that the pcb is already done and does not have leds there. even if, the nature of the case would make it difficult for pcb surface leds to clearly shine through the wholes. you would not be able to tell the three leds apart from each other. you would need some kind of guide chanel, or mount the leds directly on the inside of the case behind the small cutout position. there are probably many more ways to do it, but the point is that I think these indicator leds shouldn't be added as an afterthought. if so, it should be consider in the beginning of the design process. the way it is now is clean and simple. it should stay that way. some keys have through hole led support, there it is possible to use windowed caps.

Yeah for sure. It would be to much more "creative" DIY to make it happen strait out of the box, this late in your process.
No worries at all, complete understand. Just got excited when i saw the compact 1800 update ha and kudos to Maarten for cooking up all these beauties batches of available pcb´s  :thumb:

Hoping for the rendered layout nr. 2 in case it will be a tie, could we see nr1 layout rendered maybe?

Wish list is definitely 96 Inox, 75% black, TKL/65% dolch. It will be a frenzie  ;D

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #692 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 07:16:01 »
Can I check if there is a link to maarten site? I'm certain I saw it somewhere, can't seem to find it now... :s
Leaning towards the 1800 for functionality... Does the case support other boards? I tot of opting for a 67 layout which I think is shown on the renders but doesn't see to have a board..

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

« Reply #693 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 07:48:37 »
check the start post, it's all in there. let me quote myself:

Sizes & versions

Various sizes and versions will be available. Some are already sure, more will probably be added later (please let me know what you'd like to see).
So far:
  • 40% Ortholinear
  • 60% Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS62, Boardwalk
  • 65% Standard, 0.5U bottom row blocker, 0.5U bottom row blocker & 2U right column blocker
  • 75% (not KBD75-style instead a new custom design, SKB2-75)
  • TKL Standard, WKL
  • not 1800 but something similar: SKB2-95
PCBs

You will have the option to add PCBs designed by Maartenwut (all USB-C):
  • SKB2-40: Eon40
  • SKB2-60: Plain60-C
  • SKB2-65: TA65 Eon65
  • SKB2-75: Eon75
  • SKB2-TKL: Eon87
  • SKB2-95: Eon95

;)

« Reply #694 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 07:57:22 »
Does the case support other boards?
Other PCBs? Sure, since the case is a top mount construction and is quite roomy inside, you don't need to worry about compatibillity. You only need to make sure that the USB plug is at the correct spot.

I tot of opting for a 67 layout which I think is shown on the renders but doesn't see to have a board..
Initially we planned to offer Maartens' TA65 PCB for the SKB2-65. But since it has USB-Mini but all other of the offered PCBs have USB-C, we dicided that 65% should get USB-C as well. He developed the "Eon65" which (I had called it Eon67 earlier).

Btw, the SKB2-65 is available as prototype, not just renders. This picture of it can also be found in the start post:

;D  ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2020, 08:04:11 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #695 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 08:20:12 »
Thanks! The blockers can be removed by ourself? Then maybe I need to take a hit and order 2 hahaha

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

« Reply #696 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 08:25:45 »
remove? NO! dude, that's steel!  ;)

three 65% versions will be offered:
- Standard
- 0.5U bottom row blocker
- 0.5U bottom row blocker & 2U right column blocker (prototype)

I'll make some illustrations to avoide confusion about that.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #697 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 08:33:05 »
Is there ISO on the 95? Buying either way but ISO would be nice

« Reply #698 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 08:35:58 »
sure, all PCBs and plates support ANSI and ISO layouts.
I'll add illustrations that detail the layout options, in the coming days.

Offline wing1098

« Reply #699 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 08:48:23 »
what PCBs supposed to use on 75(v1,v2) ^-^