Author Topic: Dvorak model M keycaps with pips?  (Read 7805 times)

Offline pseudolobster

Dvorak model M keycaps with pips?
« on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 19:33:07 »
Is there anywhere that sells "H" and "U" keys that have little nubs on them, along with "F" and "J" keys without them?

If not, is there enough interest here to have unicomp make a batch?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 October 2009, 07:39:30 »
Quote from: pseudolobster;123580
Is there anywhere that sells "H" and "U" keys that have little nubs on them, along with "F" and "J" keys without them?

If not, is there enough interest here to have unicomp make a batch?

While not a perfect solution, you can get a blank set of keys from Unicomp.  They run about $20.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 October 2009, 10:06:11 »
I don't like fake nubs.  Too much silicone.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 October 2009, 10:36:07 »
Quote from: ripster;123685
You hang around the wrong websites. Here.

That's a riot.  I would be disappointed if I discovered a girl had these.  It's amazing what people will do for attention.

Offline pseudolobster

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 October 2009, 13:07:22 »
You hang around the wrong websites.  Here.

Wow, and just when you think you've seen everything... I was asking about pips, not nips. :pound:

So, are any of you interested in having dvorak or colemak homerow keys made up? I could contact unicomp and see how much it'd cost to have a couple dozen made.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 October 2009, 13:12:10 »
You hang around the wrong websites.  Here.

well one more thing to worry about in life

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 October 2009, 09:33:17 »
I wonder if Unicomp can make me a standard Esc key cap and an I as well.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline arwing

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 October 2009, 19:48:38 »
I would be interested in seeing what Unicomp would charge for a Customizer in a Dvorak layout, or better yet, blank layout.

As a related question, are there any mechanical keyboards with key caps that can be rearranged to Dvorak at all?  Most keyboards cannot be, as the physical shape of the keys are different from row to row.  

In many instances (of rubber dome boards that I've encountered) the F and J keys are made so they cannot be placed in any other slot (for whatever genius reason).  So, just the fact that the keys are the same shape is not necessarily enough information.

Does anyone know of a mechanical keyboard (buckling spring or any type of keyswitch) that fills these criteria and is cheaper than certain infamous blank keyboards?

(sorry for thread hijack, but it seems somewhat relevant to the topic at hand)

Offline msiegel

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 October 2009, 21:32:16 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;123739
well one more thing to worry about in life

meh, standard rubber domes :-/

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 06:38:05 »
If I remember correctly, you might be able to get F and J keys without the nubs from an old XT Model F keyboard.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline JBert

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 06:40:26 »
Well yes, but then you'd still have to buy some stick-on nubs to have a feeling of the home row keys.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 06:48:06 »
Just get a set of blank black keys from Unicomp...no need to worry about it.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline arwing

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 October 2009, 19:41:10 »
Quote from: ripster;124572
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks!

I'm aware of the cool swap the keycaps ability of the model Ms, but unless serendipity smiles on me and I can obtain one I probably won't be buying a used keyboard, even in spite of their legendary reliability.  Also my paypal account is not in working order.

Honestly I'm personally more interested in knowing if, say, the Scorpius M10, Cherry G80-3000, or even the standard QWERTY Customizer can be changed.  

I'm personally unable to call Unicomp as their listed customer service hours are the exact hours that I'm at work, but if my dear lobster would ask for a quote on my behalf I would greatly appreciate it.  They wouldn't even have to send anything but the be-nubbed H and U keys and de-nubbed F and J keys.  I'd be perfectly willing to rearrange the other 32 keys myself.  

Honestly, the nubs, or the lack thereof, do not bother me all that much anymore.   I'd probably have trouble finding F without the nub anyway.  In Dvorak it fills the spot vacated by Y.  It is the spot of most ambiguous fingering.

Anyway, I'm quite interested in obtaining a mechanical keyboard, but I'm not going to spend a lot of money on one that doesn't have what I want when I can spend $0 on a not mechanical keyboard that does.