Author Topic: OLKB Atomic Build  (Read 9042 times)

Offline Skandocious

OLKB Atomic Build
« on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 15:43:44 »
Hey guys-- I'm getting an Atomic build started (my first custom build) and I know I'll have lots of questions as I get into this so I figured I'd make a thread.

First question-- Jack posted his CAD drawings for the case parts and I want to make sure I cut the right top-plate. I'm using MX style switches and I'm thinking I'd like to have the flexibility to a full 1u layout or optionally have some 2u along the sides/bottom. Does the universal plate (pictured below) allow me both of those options?

Offline 82d28a

Re: OLKB Atomic Build
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 22:03:42 »
Hey guys-- I'm getting an Atomic build started (my first custom build) and I know I'll have lots of questions as I get into this so I figured I'd make a thread.

First question-- Jack posted his CAD drawings for the case parts and I want to make sure I cut the right top-plate. I'm using MX style switches and I'm thinking I'd like to have the flexibility to a full 1u layout or optionally have some 2u along the sides/bottom. Does the universal plate (pictured below) allow me both of those options?

Show Image

I think that is either similar or exactly the same as the top plate from Ortholinear. If it is I bought one and the bottom row 2u keys may require you to cut off the thin connections depending on where you place them.  IIRC it tends to be the thin support on the middle right.

I just went full matrix atomic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Skandocious

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 01:54:24 »

Show Image

I think that is either similar or exactly the same as the top plate from Ortholinear. If it is I bought one and the bottom row 2u keys may require you to cut off the thin connections depending on where you place them.  IIRC it tends to be the thin support on the middle right.

Oh yeah sorry, this *is* the Ortholinear Universal MX plate-- Jack posted his CAD files on Github. So it sounds like it will probably work for what want. I've got my semi-final layout almost done, I'll post it here tomorrow and get some feedback.

Offline 82d28a

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 12:38:07 »

Show Image

Oh yeah sorry, this *is* the Ortholinear Universal MX plate-- Jack posted his CAD files on Github. So it sounds like it will probably work for what want. I've got my semi-final layout almost done, I'll post it here tomorrow and get some feedback.

Where are you planning to get the plate cut?

Offline Skandocious

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 13:50:48 »

Show Image

Where are you planning to get the plate cut?

Got a quote from Big Blue Saw for I think about $90, but it cuts in half if I can get more than 4 people to sign on... I was thinking I might post an interest thread for a group buy.

Offline Skandocious

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 12:00:43 »
Forgot to post updates here! So I ended up going with Lasergist for the top plate-- pretty much half the price of BBS (thanks to a GH recommendation on this one).

As for the layout, this is where I'm at right now:

Unfortunately I need QUITE a few miscellaneous caps to complete this layout so as soon as I can post in the classifieds I'll be asking for those.

For the bottom case I think I found a guy that is willing to cut it out of wood or acrylic for cheap! More to come on this later :)

Offline Skandocious

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 13:47:47 »
Top plate shipped out from Lasergist today, seems it's coming from Greece  :cool:

Still pursuing a solution for the bottom/case. If anyone has good leads on those let me know.

Offline trebbu

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 03:03:17 »
Still pursuing a solution for the bottom/case. If anyone has good leads on those let me know.
One kind of DIY case can be seen here: https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/iso50-a-hand-wired-iso-inspired-50-keyboard-t14538.html.  (The 3D print could well be replaced by a wooden frame.)

Offline menuhin

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 03:32:52 »
Top plate shipped out from Lasergist today, seems it's coming from Greece  :cool:

Coming from Greece?
How much does it cost? I live in the EU by the way, buying and shipping anything outside EU seems to be more expensive (except from some of the TaoBao agents who helped me avoid German import tax).
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Skandocious

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 09:03:44 »
With a coupon code and some extras (brushed finish, shine-up bath), it was just about $50.

Offline Skandocious

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 15:42:31 »
So I got my top plate from Lasergist and my PCB from OLKB

And I'm still working on acquiring key caps. Coming along but still need more

Offline Skandocious

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 10:46:47 »
Finally got all my caps! Waiting on my Zealios switches now.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 11:17:14 »
What's your plan for the case / base for this Atomic?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Skandocious

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 14:44:10 »
Found a guy that does milled wood cases for Planck's and he's willing to experiment with an Atomic design if I send him my assembled board.

Offline Skandocious

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 03:24:43 »
My switches finally arrived! Zealios, mostly 65g but 62g for the modifiers and arrow keys.

Soldering starts tomorrow.

Offline Skandocious

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 02:40:22 »
It's alive!! I'm typing on it now :D

Now I need to get a new bottom case 😬

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 02:52:59 »
This looks great, I like that the extra keys are on the left so you can type bacticks and still have Esc in the corner :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 19:46:22 »
Hey man, really nice board. May I ask where you got the pcb? I can't seem to find it on OLKB or anywhere? I'm curious about trying an ortholinear layout and this particular layout looks pretty appealing. Am I right in thinking it is very similar to a Terminus 2? Thanks

Offline Skandocious

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 23:51:40 »
Hey man, really nice board. May I ask where you got the pcb? I can't seem to find it on OLKB or anywhere? I'm curious about trying an ortholinear layout and this particular layout looks pretty appealing. Am I right in thinking it is very similar to a Terminus 2? Thanks
Yeah fairly similar to the Terminus 2 but this has more keys across the bottom-- in fact the PCB and top plate are capable of full 1U grid.

The PCB is not being made anymore-- Jack (OLKB) has discontinued this model. But the Subatomic is coming; same idea but with 1 less column. Teaser here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/olkb/comments/5ki037/quick_subatomic_renderteaser/?st=IXMTBTWC&sh=87af791f

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 17:28:28 »
Interesting thanks. I think the layout I would be most interested in would be to have the 1u grid for the alphas and then a fairly standard mod arrangement (fairly similar to yours). Sounds like something I need to look into more carefully anyway, cheers for the help.