Author Topic: New? I guess?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline BoxWithADot

New? I guess?
« on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 23:17:28 »
I don't really feel new because I've been lurking for quite a while now, but I really enjoy this forum so I figured I would post! I've always heard about mechanical keyboards and scoffed, because who spends 100+ dollars on a keyboard? Then my brother gave me a Razer blackwidow ultimate several months ago that he no longer wanted, and now it's hard for me to use anything else! I know that people say it's not the best mechanical, but it has certainly improved my typing, and I don't experience near the level of discomfort I usually do when typing for extended periods of time. I've since then tried several different keyswitches, and I'm planning on getting something with MX Browns sometime soon! Anyway, I'm not really sure what else to put in this post, but I'm happy to be joining this community!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: New? I guess?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 23:46:14 »
And we're happy to have you here!  :)  Now hold on to your wallet and go browse the Classifieds/Group Buy section. lol
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 00:49:29 »
Welcome!

The BlackWidow might have something of a bad reputation, but most of the problems I have read about seem to be long term problems - space bar misaligning after months of use etc.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 00:59:56 »
a keyboard should not display signs of wear after months of use except on ABS keycaps
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 04:31:18 »
I did the same sort of thing bought a steelseries 7G the day it cam out in the states not even know it was mechanical and only stopped using it a year or possibly 2 ago because i had worn through a few caps and bought a HHKB. Though i know if i went back to the 7g it would still feel like home just as the hhkb does when i come back to it after using other keyboards.

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 16:04:28 »
Welcome!

The BlackWidow might have something of a bad reputation, but most of the problems I have read about seem to be long term problems - space bar misaligning after months of use etc.

So I might as well buy a new keyboard soon then, eh? Well, if I absolutely must..  :p

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 16:05:18 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 16:09:24 »
The Razer BWU has a bad reputation in comparison to other mechanical keyboards, such as Filco, etc. But it's leaps and bounds ahead of a rubber dome! Welcome to Geekhack!

Quote from: hashbaz
Welcome to Wallethack! You are now poor.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dajm

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 16:12:13 »
Welcome!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 17:08:53 »
So I might as well buy a new keyboard soon then, eh? Well, if I absolutely must..  :p

Probably not.  A bad reputation is might have, but it should last you for a while yet, as you get the feel for mech keyboards and try to decide which one to get next.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 20:28:58 »
I'm looking for a new one anyway I think. I see all the ones you guys have and they're all so awesome haha. Plus, I'm still using a $20 POS rubber dome keyboard on my other computer, and it's frustrating to type on. I think I want something tenkeyless with cherry MX browns, but I haven't tried the browns so I'm leery to just buy one without knowing for sure that they're the best keyswitch for me.

Also, you guys are making me feel very welcome, and I appreciate it =]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 21:09:11 »
I couldn't decide on blues or browns for my second, but as browns were out of stock at the time and I wanted the keyboard NOW, I opted to get a second blues.

Now I have a Filco with browns on order.

It also turns out I have an old keyboard at home with MX black switches.

So the only major Cherry MX switch I will not have tried is red - but I don't think I can get away with buying another one so soon.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 21:34:41 »
Just remember this, if you purchase a quality keyboard of a certain switch type to try out those kind of switches, you can usually sell it here for around 85% of what you paid for it, if you end up not liking those switches. It's not a bad way to test which switch types you like best, if you can afford the initial investment, and can afford to lose a little on each transaction. It was worth it to me. The exception to this is any board with MX Black switches. You will take a significant hit trying to offload one of those. Or anything made by Razer. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 22:33:27 »
Aww, you're saying no one wants my Razer? =p Okay, thank you for the advice! Maybe once I buy all my textbooks and whatnot and get a little extra cash I'll pick something up to try out!

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 00:45:04 »
Blackwidows aren't the most popular on this forum. You'd probably get more on different forum. But for everything else, here is the place to be!

Also welcome to GeekHack.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 02:36:53 »
Haha I was kind of getting that vibe, but it is okay! I don't mind the blackwidow, since I don't really have much of a reference level re: mechanical keyboards. I'll probably hang on to it unless I can get rid of it locally or something. However, I've been looking around and I really like the looks of the KBT Races and the KBT Pures, so I'm thinking about trying to grab one of those if they're good boards.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 August 2012, 02:44:42 by BoxWithADot »