Author Topic: New To GeekHack  (Read 2991 times)

Offline bdc1987

New To GeekHack
« on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 08:30:51 »
Hey everyone, I've lurked around here for a while now and decided to finally join up. I'm relatively new to mechanical keyboards, I started out with a used Razor Blackwidow so I could get the feel of mechanical keyboards but I've recently upgraded to a Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid with Red switches and I don't ever think I could go back to rubber dome switches.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Re: New To GeekHack
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 08:33:26 »
Welcome! Prepare to go broke!

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 08:59:32 »
Your Wallet is not ready!

Oh yeah and welcome to GeekHack. = P

You still have much to try out tho. That CM is the first of many.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline bdc1987

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 09:02:40 »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm prepared to go broke and my wallet isn't ready yet, I still need to find ways to hide some of spending habits from my girlfriend.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 09:43:36 »
They are always susceptible to "What are you talking about honey? I've always had this".

Welcome to Geekhack.

Sent from my HTC Sensation
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2012, 10:54:01 by swagpiratex »

Offline Dajm

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 09:48:23 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 09:49:35 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 11:33:07 »
They are always susceptible to "What are you talking about honey? I've always had this".

Smooth. Just make sure to ditch the boxes first. :P

Welcome to GH, bdc.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline bdc1987

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 18:14:00 »
That would be rather hard to as I work the night shift and she usually brings in the mail

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 18:32:16 »

Smooth. Just make sure to ditch the boxes first. :P

Welcome to GH, bdc.
Not a good idea to ditch the box.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 17:02:22 »
Why not buy her her own mechanical keyboard?  There is a group buy on a valentine key set at the moment - pink and white - to pimp her board.

Or you can find key caps of almost any other colour, including rainbow.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bdc1987

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 18:40:55 »
She's not into mechanical boards, she just surfs the web on our laptop

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 18:43:11 »
Ah, but her own shiney new (mechanical) keyboard in her favourite colour?

But, if she is using a laptop then it would be an extra box to carry around.  Hmmm...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Glissant

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 18:44:30 »
My wife isn't into them either, but I got her a choc mini some rhinestones some novelty keycaps and a set of rainbow alphas anyway. She decked it out and loves using it now. She won't be looking for another keyboard herself, but at least she feels included.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 20:11:15 »
Reminds me of when kids used to decorate their sneakers with safety pins with colored beads strung on them.  Certain colors or patterns would fetch a lot of lunch money.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 20:25:56 »
My wife isn't into them either, but I got her a choc mini some rhinestones some novelty keycaps and a set of rainbow alphas anyway. She decked it out and loves using it now. She won't be looking for another keyboard herself, but at least she feels included.

That's what I was thinking of, but I wasn't going to name any names  :-X

My other half thinks I am weird having so many keyboards, but would like one of her own (with blue bacllighting), if it wasn't for the fact that the table where her computer sits is prone to spillage, and that she has already gone thru two membrane and one Apple aluminium keyboards.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 22:00:28 »

That's what I was thinking of, but I wasn't going to name any names  :-X

My other half thinks I am weird having so many keyboards, but would like one of her own (with blue bacllighting), if it wasn't for the fact that the table where her computer sits is prone to spillage, and that she has already gone thru two membrane and one Apple aluminium keyboards.
Get one of those old IBM ones with the drainage holes.