Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2358911 times)

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #600 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 14:46:59 »
An update on the dye sub keys - I was not impressed with the quality of the factory's dye sublimation tests on old keys so I am looking to do all the dye sublimation myself with my own equipment.  I want to make sure the dye sub work is on the level of the IBM XT keys and not on par with the later production.  A major dye sub firm in the US is advising me on the setup and process.  We are also likely to lose several weeks of production time for the Chinese New Year holiday, since the factory still has not finished with the first runs.

Offline Want

« Reply #601 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 18:25:53 »
Am I delusional, or was there a pickable International shipping option before - which is now gone?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #602 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 21:53:02 »
Another milestone - we passed $170,000 today in orders!

You are right Want - I had to do a site software upgrade today.  The shipping charge now appears on the checkout page after you enter your billing/shipping address. 

Here is the order breakdown as of today - 368 keyboards!
Compact F62   20
Compact F77   32
F62   141
F77   175

Here is a breakdown of accessories ordered:
Extra Flipper and Spring   1442
Extra Barrel   1122
Extra Plastic Stabilizer Insert for keys   101
Industrial SSK Blue Keys   49
Front-printed keys F1, etc.   42
Extra steel spacebar tabs (pair)   36
Extra inner foam (F62, F77, F62 split shift, F77 split shift, F107, F122)   34
Extra Set of Brand New Production XT-quality one-piece keys   23
Extra F77 Case   17
Extra F62 Case - 'Kishsaver"   16
Apple/Mac Command-Option Keys   14
Extra PCB   5
Extra top inner assembly   3
Extra box + protective custom foam   1

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #603 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 12:45:56 »
The factory is ever closer to sending over the first-run samples!  The key molds still need some fine tuning so the first-runs will not be sent out this week unfortunately.

We also have photos of the compact case F62 and F77 test assembly and packaging! 

Please note that the cases have not yet all been hard anodized (one bottom case has been hard anodized, shown below) - the production finish will not look like the other photos.

155984-1
155986-2
155988-3
155990-4
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 December 2016, 12:56:57 by Ellipse »

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #604 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 12:50:22 »
That compact case is actually really spiffy looking from that angle...

Filing under things I might spend my maybe/maybe not tax return on o_o;

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #605 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 17:33:48 »
(Attachment Link)

The packaging is superb, subtle yet bold. 

Letting the whole world know something special is inside, as always Ellipse your posts have indeed festered a growing love for the buckling spring and it all came down to you for starting this whole adventure.

Offline dante

« Reply #606 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 19:11:05 »
Ellipse if you started a fundraiser for raising money to buy Unicomp you would have a lot of support!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #607 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 14:04:07 »
Some more photos from the factory!

The metal space bar tabs have been welded onto the top inner assembly - this is an upgrade from the brittle plastic tabs found on the original Model F's.

The foam molds have been completed and the first run samples are finished.  The samples look a bit dirty but the final ones will not be!

156093-0
156095-1
156097-2

Offline steveachu

« Reply #608 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 05:46:31 »
Very interested in one of these. Just a few questions, sorry if they've been answered:

1) Is the USB cable detachable/replaceable?

2) For the HHKB style backspace and split shift, will the backspace be above the enter button like the HHKB or still in the original position above the "\"? And I'm assuming the split-shift places the function key to the right of the shift?

Thanks!  :)

Offline jknight

« Reply #609 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 06:52:46 »
What is a flipper?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #610 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 06:57:44 »
What is a flipper?
Someone who works down at a Pizzeria  ;D .

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #611 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 10:21:52 »
jknight-replied over PM
steve - yes the USB is detachable and replaceable - it is a micro USB cable.  And here's an approximate look at the expected HHKB style layout:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/questions/question/are-there-any-photos-of-the-hhkb-layout/

Yep the 1U function key is to the right of right shift for the HHKB style layout option.

Offline steveachu

« Reply #612 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 20:44:28 »
jknight-replied over PM
steve - yes the USB is detachable and replaceable - it is a micro USB cable.  And here's an approximate look at the expected HHKB style layout:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/questions/question/are-there-any-photos-of-the-hhkb-layout/

Yep the 1U function key is to the right of right shift for the HHKB style layout option.

Man, this looks great. Do you happen to have any pics of the usb port by chance? Nevermind, just saw the port after you open it up in the demo video you have!

Just put up my HHKB for sale to get some funds for this.  :D

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 December 2016, 20:52:39 by steveachu »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #613 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 21:11:26 »
Just put up my HHKB for sale to get some funds for this.  :D

Smart man for doing it, always get rid of any foul HHKB in da house.

Make way for something FAR superior in every way  :thumb: .

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #614 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 13:45:15 »
The DHL Express shipment containing the sample boxes, foam, springs, and compact case keyboard prototypes has arrived!  Doing the testing now...

Offline Atredl

« Reply #615 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 14:43:53 »
The DHL Express shipment containing the sample boxes, foam, springs, and compact case keyboard prototypes has arrived!  Doing the testing now...

I've got something to say. I've loved how often you update the thread even when things slow down. This has been one of the least stressful GB's I've been part of because of the communication.

And for that, I thank you. :thumb:

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #616 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 21:35:39 »
The working Compact Case F62 and F77 keyboard first-runs pass inspection! 

The video at the bottom shows the unboxing, teardown, and typing test where I reached 100 WPM on the compact F62 and 90+ on the second test with the compact F77.

The keyboards will not look like the photos below!  The cases are just the raw aluminum and do not have the hard anodized finishing.  The keys are Unicomp - the new key molds are not yet ready.  Please see the two metal bottom case sheets that are what the regular gray and black hard anodized options will look like.  The factory did a great job on the hard anodizing - very high end looking!

The first-runs are an important part of the manufacturing process even though they add some time to the process.  I have two pages of feedback for the factory so far on small improvements.  You can see some of the areas that need improvement:
-Adding more holes to the compact cases to ensure a near-gapless fit between the case parts
-The top inner assembly holes for the barrels were about 0.2mm too large
-The boxes need to be a little bigger to fit the extra parts (keys, etc.)
-The boxes should have dark blue text, not black
-The bezel has too much space above the top row of keys compared to the bottom row
-The factory did not send the most recent update of the top inner assembly incorporating some small adjustments
-Flat top screws countersunk into the case should have been used everywhere
-Need better QC on the springs to match the specifications

156407-0
156409-1
156411-2
156413-3
156415-4
156417-5

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 December 2016, 21:48:09 by Ellipse »

Offline duface

« Reply #617 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 21:38:29 »

A video will be up in a few hours including an unboxing, teardown, and typing test where I reached 100 WPM on the compact F62 and 90+ on the second test with the compact F77.

The keyboards will not look like the photos below!  The cases are just the raw aluminum and do not have the hard anodized finishing.  The keys are Unicomp - the new key molds are not yet ready.  Please see the two metal bottom case sheets that are what the regular gray and black hard anodized options will look like.  The factory did a great job on the hard anodizing - very high end looking!

The first-runs are an important part of the manufacturing process even though they add some time to the process.  I have two pages of feedback for the factory so far on small improvements.  You can see some of the areas that need improvement:
-Adding more holes to the compact cases to ensure a near-gapless fit between the case parts
-The top inner assembly holes for the barrels were about 0.2mm too large
-The boxes need to be a little bigger to fit the extra parts (keys, etc.)
-The boxes should have dark blue text, not black
-The bezel has too much space above the top row of keys compared to the bottom row
-The factory did not send the most recent update of the top inner assembly incorporating some small adjustments
-Flat top screws countersunk into the case should have been used everywhere
-Need better QC on the springs to match the specifications

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Woah the compact case looks pretty sweet. Trying to convince myself that I don't need one...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #618 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 22:37:09 »

(Attachment Link)

As much as I appreciate the efforts you've gone through to try and encapsulate the American Tradition into an all Aluminium Casing it still looks far better in the original casing done in  Zinc.

Suppose you could call me a traditionalist and I make no apologies here for being that way BUT I only love the original proposal for this keyboard because it looks 99.9% like an original model done way back in the golden era of Model-F production.

Also your original design is far superior to the latest one which looks like some cheapo Yum-Cha design suitable only for bottom of the barrel keyboards.  See what happens when you start messing around with perfection you start to distort good taste and appropriate behaviour  8) .

Far better to stick with what works perfectly instead of now making weird looking keyboards that don't look like anything except another Flebay Model done for the Gamer masses.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 December 2016, 22:42:00 by Elrick »

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #619 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 00:37:54 »
Looking amazing in those modern casings!

So so cool.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #620 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 09:24:19 »
Yep the modern cases look good and they are also quite solid despite being much lighter.

We passed $175,000 in orders! 

Offline supamesican

« Reply #621 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 18:55:50 »
I got my extra 10 barrels, extra 10 flippers, and extra foam ordered. It didnt have an option for local pick up so I selected other shipping, so I wouldnt be charged twice since you said you'd combine my orders.

Also on these here (https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/industrial-ssk-blue-keys/) blue industrial keys, is it possible to get them as just the wasd and arrow keys or only as shown? And how much would that be?
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 January 2017, 18:59:14 by supamesican »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #622 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 20:18:59 »
Great, that works supa!

Yes that should be doable - you can order 20 units of the "other customizations in $1 increments" and choose other shipping.  Please make a note that you want the wasd and arrow keys in blue.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #623 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 23:18:55 »
Yep the modern cases look good and they are also quite solid despite being much lighter.

We passed $175,000 in orders!

Again for the old and feeble here, what are the colours available for this NEW Aluminium Casing?

Is there a deadline for the colours specified or do you need extra time to apply them (anodizing aluminium) ?

YOU never specified anything on the FRONT page of this Group Buy about these NEW Aluminium Cases or even their available colours.  ALWAYS provide the info on the front page so you'll have far less of me bothering you about the colours you want to apply.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 January 2017, 20:11:13 by Elrick »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #624 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 23:19:01 »
thanks Elrick, I have added the following to the home page:

Case color options:  off-white/beige (to match the originals), Industrial Gray (to match the Industrial SSK), black, silver gray, and Pantone True Red powdercoated paint (original cases); hard anodized black, hard anodized regular gray (ultra compact cases)

I am thinking of making a separate landing page with more photos and with a more modern site layout.  A marketing professional sent me this link as an example style to consider:  https://britishrailmanual.com/

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #625 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 10:05:52 »
I dig the layout!!!
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 January 2017, 07:13:44 by ApocalypseMaow »
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline U47

« Reply #626 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 11:51:15 »
Just a suggestion, but it would be nice to have a "repair kit" option to purchase which contained all the things you recommend we stock up on for future servicing of the board (10 barrels, 10 flippers, foam, etc). I still don't really know what I should be getting for that purpose (I'm new to the buckling spring game).

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #627 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 12:09:26 »
Just a suggestion, but it would be nice to have a "repair kit" option to purchase which contained all the things you recommend we stock up on for future servicing of the board (10 barrels, 10 flippers, foam, etc). I still don't really know what I should be getting for that purpose (I'm new to the buckling spring game).

Nice idea. I would probably add one to my order if there was a noob-friendly kit like this.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #628 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 16:55:06 »

Nice idea. I would probably add one to my order if there was a noob-friendly kit like this.

Would buy such a kit especially since I'm still a noob around Model-Fs.  A kit like this would be extremely valuable in any emergency situation.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #629 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 15:44:00 »

Would buy such a kit especially since I'm still a noob around Model-Fs.  A kit like this would be extremely valuable in any emergency situation.

I would add whatever I dont already have for it  to my order if there was a list of recommended stuff like that.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #630 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 16:54:48 »
How about something like this for a "Model F First Aid" kit: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f62-f77-first-aid-repair-kit/

Everyone feel free to choose free shipping to add this kit to an existing order.  Here's the first draft product description on the web site:

Here is a kit of spare parts for refurbishing your Brand New Model F keyboard years or decades from now, long after production ends sometime this year.  Both kits are compatible with either ultra compact or original case F62/F77 keyboards.

Included:

--1 custom machine-cut inner foam, just in case the original foam loses its elasticity while remaining in its compressed state for years on end, you’ll have a spare.
--10 flippers with springs, in case you accidentally bend a spring out of shape when removing a key or cleaning your F62 or F77 or want to mod your layout and split a shift/backspace on your own in the future to get an extra usable key
--10 barrels in case you spill a sugary beverage in your keyboard and the barrels become sticky.
--Extra set of bumpers in case the originals wear out or you want to change bumper types – please add this store item to your cart if you want this:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/extra-bumpers/
--2 Extra stabilizer inserts – in case some fail or break when trying to remove them from the barrels to change a layout
--An original Industrial SSK (just kidding!)

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #631 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 20:12:34 »
thanks Elrick, I have added the following to the home page:

Case color options:  off-white/beige (to match the originals), Industrial Gray (to match the Industrial SSK), black, silver gray, and Pantone True Red powdercoated paint (original cases); hard anodized black, hard anodized regular gray (ultra compact cases)

I am thinking of making a separate landing page with more photos and with a more modern site layout.  A marketing professional sent me this link as an example style to consider:  https://britishrailmanual.com/

So the modern case has 2 colors to choose?
Am I reading that right?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #632 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 20:21:26 »
Yep, black and regular gray, both hard anodized

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #633 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 23:04:25 »
How about something like this for a "Model F First Aid" kit: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f62-f77-first-aid-repair-kit/

Everyone feel free to choose free shipping to add this kit to an existing order.  Here's the first draft product description on the web site:

Here is a kit of spare parts for refurbishing your Brand New Model F keyboard years or decades from now, long after production ends sometime this year.  Both kits are compatible with either ultra compact or original case F62/F77 keyboards.

Included:

--1 custom machine-cut inner foam, just in case the original foam loses its elasticity while remaining in its compressed state for years on end, you’ll have a spare.
--10 flippers with springs, in case you accidentally bend a spring out of shape when removing a key or cleaning your F62 or F77 or want to mod your layout and split a shift/backspace on your own in the future to get an extra usable key
--10 barrels in case you spill a sugary beverage in your keyboard and the barrels become sticky.
--Extra set of bumpers in case the originals wear out or you want to change bumper types – please add this store item to your cart if you want this:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/extra-bumpers/
--2 Extra stabilizer inserts – in case some fail or break when trying to remove them from the barrels to change a layout

Sounds good to me! I will have to get one orderd, thanks Ellipse  :thumb:

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #634 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 02:12:23 »

Included:

Sounds like a great idea! I think I pretty much ordered this in extras already but nice to have it as a single kit.

Offline mumford

« Reply #635 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 14:19:23 »
Is there a CAD file for cutting the foam?  I think we need to preserve it in order to organize a group buy of new foam in year 2036 or so.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #636 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 19:39:34 »

Included:

do you sell just the stabilizers? I already have everything else but the bumpers(which I dont care about) on my order.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #637 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 20:16:09 »
Yep the stabilizers are one of the items on the web site.

Offline U47

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #639 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 18:33:01 »
Here are the www.modelfkeyboards.com Google Analytics stats since 1/24/16.  It's almost unbelievable how many people have checked out the project! 

157471-0

The factory is still re-making the springs.  The last batch they sent were not to spec.  I hope to get the hard anodized compact case samples and springs in the coming weeks (though we are almost near the Chinese New Year holiday which is a few weeks long - all the factory work just about stops).

Offline RocketGruntJake

• Brb, gotta grow some flowers
« Reply #640 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 19:11:04 »
Any estimate when the early bird f62s will be showing up?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #641 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 19:31:07 »
Probably mid-2017

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
« Reply #642 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 08:21:16 »
Just wanted to clarify the deadline - so the 31st of January is the last time you will ever be able to order a "Brand New Model F Keyboard"?

Offline jhoang

• Matrix Lover
« Reply #643 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 14:33:11 »
I'm very interested in this F62. I'll definitely get one.  :)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #644 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 14:15:54 »
Prius, factory delays have continued this month and we are near the start of the Chinese New Year holiday, where the factories close down for several weeks.  Therefore I expect to extend the deadline.

Great jhoang! 

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #645 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 19:32:15 »
Prius, factory delays have continued this month and we are near the start of the Chinese New Year holiday, where the factories close down for several weeks.  Therefore I expect to extend the deadline.

Great jhoang!

Special time of the Year since most of the earth's population will be celebrating it  :thumb: .

Don't worry when the keyboards and extra gear are shipped because we are in it for the LONG haul.  Currently we are just biding our time for this ancient wonder to finally appear and be shipped to all our places around the globe.

Due to the Quality that shall be invested within these keyboards we are well aware of waiting for this in line like at any Rolling Stones gig, because it might be the very last one ever held but it shall be memorable for decades ahead  8) .

Offline steveachu

« Reply #646 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 06:04:15 »

Great jhoang!
Great to hear! Can't afford it right now since I'm broke. But I'm looking forward to landing my first full-time programming job either this month or next month, so if you do manage to extend it past Jan 31st, I would be ecstatic. :D

PS: A bit silly, but any chance of uploading some sound tests with a closer mic/cam? I love listening to sound tests you have, but kind of hard to hear for me. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 January 2017, 06:07:42 by steveachu »

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #647 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 06:21:53 »
Am I just blind or is it not possible to order via PayPal anymore?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #648 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 08:45:33 »
Correct, I no longer accept PayPal.  I accept bank/debit cards, credit cards, and prepaid cards.

steve, the sounds of the prototypes are not representative of the final sounds.  I hope to upload more videos once I have all "QC approved" parts in hand.  You'll definitely be able to order next month at this point.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #649 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 09:00:17 »
Correct, I no longer accept PayPal.  I accept bank/debit cards, credit cards, and prepaid cards.

Guess I'll have to get a debit card just for this in that case :(