Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2359380 times)

Offline koduh

Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1250 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 12:15:38 »
I just joined in yesterday! I'm gonna sell my Classic IBM Model M13 with Trackpoint to swap to the F77! Hype!  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1251 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 12:52:56 »
Correct, except I have no, nor meant to suggest a, hunch either way. The only fact here is that I've been given no demonstration that these changes are worth the time and energy. I'm also, personally, unconvinced they will have no effect on the timetable.

Not sure how it could be demonstrated that these changes are worth the time and energy... since you have no experience with the originals and no experience or interaction with the parts being discussed. It's for that reason exactly that someone like Ellipse is one of the few people capable of doing this. By putting your money into the project you are putting your trust in the brief he laid out for this project and in his opinion and experience when it comes to executing it. I have seen no evidence that he has strayed even slightly from his stated brief if anything he has put huge amounts of time and extra effort (and even extra money) to ensure it's met exactly. So this is basically just whingeing that things are taking longer then you would like. I do get that and obviously we are all keen for it to be done and in our hands but most of us want what Ellipse set out to do and that's why we joined the project.

Lastly and this is just my opinion but I don't think that Ellipse deserves any of us second-guessing these decisions, especially considering our relative lack of knowledge and all the effort he has put in.

Though you are incidentally correct, you don't actually know that I have no experience with this stuff. You've assumed that about me.

The long and short of it is you are making a lot of generalizations and I disagree with most of what you said. I certainly didn't buy into an individual when I put money into this project, I purchased a product, plain and simple. I absolutely didn't put money in out of trust or faith or something either, it was, and still is, a total risky buy to me, something where I'm like "Well, I'd rather lose 400$ but with the possibility of getting something I really want versus leaving that money sitting in my bank account, so fk it."

And everyone deserves a good second guessing. Everyone.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 October 2017, 12:59:02 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1252 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 14:04:44 »
Though you are incidentally correct, you don't actually know that I have no experience with this stuff. You've assumed that about me.

The long and short of it is you are making a lot of generalizations and I disagree with most of what you said. I certainly didn't buy into an individual when I put money into this project, I purchased a product, plain and simple.
Since you didn’t buy into this out of trust in Ellipse, why did you buy into the early bird instead of the regular round? It seems like you have criticisms about Ellipse’s method but there are plenty of pages in this thread that are evidence that this is the way he does things. If you had bought into the regular round there would already be a product and you wouldn’t have to worry about sample timelines and delays because prototypes don’t meet his standards.

I absolutely didn't put money in out of trust or faith or something either, it was, and still is, a total risky buy to me, something where I'm like "Well, I'd rather lose 400$ but with the possibility of getting something I really want versus leaving that money sitting in my bank account, so fk it."

If you really did say “f**k it” then why do you have so many criticisms about Ellipse’s method? By this statement it sounds like you treated this like a coin flip but up above you say that you “purchased a product, plain and simple”. Purchasing a product is not a coin flip at all. When you purchase a product, you fully expect to receive it in a timely manner. This round is a GB for an item that isn’t fully made yet. I’m not trying to be patronizing here but your contradicting statements really suggest that you didn’t fully understand what you were buying into.

Offline Jampu

« Reply #1253 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 19:50:31 »

Damn, I didn't think about that at all, sounds like our "./enter" key might have to become the function key? Then the rest of the cluster is: nav keys, arrows, numpad numericals, numpad operators.

PS. "0" can have the decimal "." as a fn layer.

PPS. Essentially this: but properly aligned etc... Each user can decide for themselves which section goes on which layer to match their usage patterns.

(Attachment Link)

Most people, probably, predominantly uses the nav layer; so can set the nav buttons + cursors to default and numpad to function/meta layer, in effect getting a TKL.  If, like me, you prefer a TK design: set the numericals + cursors to default and get that layout.

As a bonus, it gives a function key for those who chose a traditional ANSI layout on the main cluster.

It seems a shame to give up some already precious real estate. What about something like Fn + Shift to toggle the Num/Nav layers?

After playing around with layouts a bit, it seems this type of combo numpad-nav-arrow layout just isn't for me; I'll probably end up filling the nav area with F-keys for use in IDEs at work to eliminate excessive layer swapping.  Here is the admittedly specialized arrangement I've been using for the past six months on the F107, for what it's worth:

Over the past week of experimenting I ended up moving almost all the functions of that cluster to a function layer underneath my right hand (including numpad on another layer).  The only real advantage a numpad offers at this point is easy and clear accessibility to arithmetic operators, and since the F77 lacks the prerequisite 4th column of keys the nav block might as well be used for something else.  (If you nix the arrow keys and just do a straight numpad, you could double up the operators at the top and put an Enter in the bottom left.  Would be a bit of a stretch, but still usable imo.)

In the end, it is all a matter of personal opinion - my recommendation would be to not worry so much about having all the legend options and just let people mix and match from the full 104 kit that comes with each keyboard.  (Or go pick up an M122 off eBay for cheap and fill out that nav with all manner of wacky function caps~)

And likewise, you haven't demonstrated it won't, or that it's limited to 1%. That's a hunch of yours, right?

Correct, except I have no, nor meant to suggest a, hunch either way. The only fact here is that I've been given no demonstration that these changes are worth the time and energy. I'm also, personally, unconvinced they will have no effect on the timetable.

At the risk of sounding like Elrick, these keyboards are like fine wines.  Over the course of capacitive BS production at IBM there were several different styles of flipper, spring, barrel, case and PCB used (and, of course, material variations of each).  What Ellipse seems to be trying to do is ensure the best of each category is put together to create the ideal Model F, not just another production run of whatever parts IBM was churning out last.  I can tell you that different spring finishes and PCB materials can make a very perceptible difference in keyfeel and sound, especially regarding the hallmark ping of these boards.

« Last Edit: Fri, 06 October 2017, 19:52:04 by Jampu »

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1254 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 19:53:48 »

The long and short of it is you are making a lot of generalizations and I disagree with most of what you said. I certainly didn't buy into an individual when I put money into this project, I purchased a product, plain and simple.
Since you didn’t buy into this out of trust in Ellipse, why did you buy into the early bird instead of the regular round? It seems like you have criticisms about Ellipse’s method but there are plenty of pages in this thread that are evidence that this is the way he does things. If you had bought into the regular round there would already be a product and you wouldn’t have to worry about sample timelines and delays because prototypes don’t meet his standards.

I absolutely didn't put money in out of trust or faith or something either, it was, and still is, a total risky buy to me, something where I'm like "Well, I'd rather lose 400$ but with the possibility of getting something I really want versus leaving that money sitting in my bank account, so fk it."

If you really did say “f**k it” then why do you have so many criticisms about Ellipse’s method? By this statement it sounds like you treated this like a coin flip but up above you say that you “purchased a product, plain and simple”. Purchasing a product is not a coin flip at all. When you purchase a product, you fully expect to receive it in a timely manner. This round is a GB for an item that isn’t fully made yet. I’m not trying to be patronizing here but your contradicting statements really suggest that you didn’t fully understand what you were buying into.

Okay just to address one arguments, I can buy into something with a "**** it" attitude and still have criticisms about how things are run. They aren't mutually exclusive.

But beyond that, honestly, I really don't care to talk about it anymore. Like really, seriously, absolutely don't give a ****. And my original question wasn't even answered, which was an update request. From, ostensibly, ellipse.

Look, to anyone who cares to listen, I'll talk about this until I'm blue in the face once I get the F77 I ordered. Until then, I'm done with this conversation.

Offline sixdeuces

• DIYKeyboards.com
« Reply #1255 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 23:17:15 »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Offline Softkore

« Reply #1256 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 07:51:27 »
Man, I've been on the fence about this for a couple weeks now... These look sooooo sick  :thumb:, but I've bought a lot of keyboard stuff recently  :-\...

Is there any chance that this could ever exist in the F77 layout without the plastic blocker between the numpad and mods? Maybe if there is an R2?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1257 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 12:11:14 »
Man, I've been on the fence about this for a couple weeks now... These look sooooo sick  :thumb:, but I've bought a lot of keyboard stuff recently  :-\...

Is there any chance that this could ever exist in the F77 layout without the plastic blocker between the numpad and mods? Maybe if there is an R2?
The exterior case is completely made out of Zinc. No plastic blockers on this baby. However, Ellipse has said that there won’t be a R2. Only the early bird and regular rounds, both of which will have the layout that you see.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #1258 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 12:17:49 »
The exterior case is completely made out of Zinc. No plastic blockers on this baby. However, Ellipse has said that there won’t be a R2. Only the early bird and regular rounds, both of which will have the layout that you see.

I think it's just the terminology that is leading some folks into confusion.  I mean, we know there are going to be two production rounds, so it's natural for some people to call the second round R2.  (Unless you are an old school coder who always starts counting at zero, haha!)

Offline Softkore

« Reply #1259 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 12:18:55 »

Oh woah, had no idea it was Zinc. Thanks very much for the info... Although perhaps I should be cursing you, as I think you've just convinced me I need one of these.

I'm skimming the thread now, we're in the early bird period now correct? Any idea when the regular rounds would end (probably hard to say if they haven't even begun yet hah)?

Offline Atredl

[GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1260 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 12:26:13 »

I think it's just the terminology that is leading some folks into confusion.  I mean, we know there are going to be two production rounds, so it's natural for some people to call the second round R2.  (Unless you are an old school coder who always starts counting at zero, haha!)
Yeah you’re probably right. Just wanted to make sure it’s clear that these are the only layouts Ellipse is making.

Oh woah, had no idea it was Zinc. Thanks very much for the info... Although perhaps I should be cursing you, as I think you've just convinced me I need one of these.

I'm skimming the thread now, we're in the early bird period now correct? Any idea when the regular rounds would end (probably hard to say if they haven't even begun yet hah)?
Yup, currently early bird. Ellipse has mentioned that the regular round will start 1-2 months after the early bird round has shipped. That way people can have the boards in their hands and the regular round people can have more confidence about what they’re getting.

Offline Softkore

« Reply #1261 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 12:28:30 »

Yup, currently early bird. Ellipse has mentioned that the regular round will start 1-2 months after the early bird round has shipped. That way people can have the boards in their hands and the regular round people can have more confidence about what they’re getting.

Oh man, that's a great idea - sounds like he's really thought this through. I guess I can rest somewhat easier now knowing that I have a bit of time to save up for one :D

Offline Softkore

« Reply #1262 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:03:54 »
Hey guys, sorry to double-post, but I had one more question about the F77...

When looking at the Ultra-Compact F77 on the website, the front edge of the case looks very crooked... Is this what the case actually looks like, or is this somehow distortion caused by the camera?

Cropped photo with straightedge:

Original photo for reference:

« Last Edit: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:08:04 by Softkore »

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1263 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:09:07 »

When looking at the Ultra-Compact F77 on the website, the front edge of the case looks very crooked... Is this what the case actually looks like, or is this somehow distortion caused by the camera?

Photo for reference:

Show Image

That looks like it’s one of the prototypes for the ultra compact aluminum case, not the traditional zinc case that I mentioned in my other reply. I can’t say why the case in that picture looks uneven but there are two case options for each layout.

Offline Softkore

« Reply #1264 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:11:16 »

Photo for reference:

Show Image

That looks like it’s one of the prototypes for the ultra compact aluminum case, not the traditional zinc case that I mentioned in my other reply. I can’t say why the case in that picture looks uneven but there are two case options for each layout.

Yeah, I think I'm more interested in the ultra-compact layout - but only if it's equal quality to the traditional cases. The case definitely looks extremely crooked in the photo but I'm hoping it's just an issue with the lens/camera.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1265 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:14:41 »

Photo for reference:

Show Image

Yeah, I think I'm more interested in the ultra-compact layout - but only if it's equal quality to the traditional cases. The case definitely looks extremely crooked in the photo but I'm hoping it's just an issue with the lens/camera.
Something funky is definitely going on in those pictures and hopefully it’s just the lens or an odd angle. Do keep in mind that the ultra compact case is Aluminum and not Zinc, so it’ll be significantly lighter. If that’s alright with you then go for it!

Offline Softkore

« Reply #1266 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:16:51 »

Photo for reference:

Show Image

Something funky is definitely going on in those pictures and hopefully it’s just the lens or an odd angle. Do keep in mind that the ultra compact case is Aluminum and not Zinc, so it’ll be significantly lighter. If that’s alright with you then go for it!

When I thought the case was plastic, it was literally the only plastic case I was willing to consider. Now that I know it's metal I'm absolutely stoked. I'm perfectly fine with either zinc or aluminum. My only other two cases are both aluminum.

I'm definitely ready to pull the trigger (gonna be a birthday present for myself) but would like to get some more info about that ultra-compact F77 (and the wonky photo) before I make a decision.

Offline consolation

« Reply #1267 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:13:38 »

Oh man, that's a great idea - sounds like he's really thought this through. I guess I can rest somewhat easier now knowing that I have a bit of time to save up for one :D

My understanding is that R1 was going to be  +100-200$ over the early bird; I'd jump in on the early bird tbh.

Offline Softkore

« Reply #1268 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:29:09 »

My understanding is that R1 was going to be  +100-200$ over the early bird; I'd jump in on the early bird tbh.
When does the early bird end? Still worried about the wonky looking pic... :/

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Atredl

[GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1269 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:42:09 »

Oh man, that's a great idea - sounds like he's really thought this through. I guess I can rest somewhat easier now knowing that I have a bit of time to save up for one

Can I get a source on that?

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1270 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:42:56 »

Hmm, where'd you see this?

Ellipse, can you confirm if prices will jump after early bird? wanted to order in the next round but not for an additional $100-200
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1271 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:50:04 »

Ellipse, can you confirm if prices will jump after early bird? wanted to order in the next round but not for an additional $100-200
I’m not the guy you were asking but I’ve been following this thread for a while and afaik there’s only been mention of being able to pay extra to get your board with a low serial number. This will let you get your board even earlier. Think expedited processing within the early bird round.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1272 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 22:10:54 »

I’m not the guy you were asking but I’ve been following this thread for a while and afaik there’s only been mention of being able to pay extra to get your board with a low serial number. This will let you get your board even earlier. Think expedited processing within the early bird round.
that's been my understanding as well, thanks
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1273 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 23:13:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

I've seen the prototype in person. It's straight.

("But how?" you may ask. He brings it to meetups.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 23:17:31 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Softkore

« Reply #1274 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 04:04:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome, thank you very much. Have you seen both the ultra compact and traditional versions? If so which do you prefer?

Offline consolation

« Reply #1275 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 17:09:55 »

that's been my understanding as well, thanks

I tried to find the comment on (I think) deskthority where that was mentioned, but, either; my search fu is lacking, or it's a figment of my imagination.

Just to clarify (looking in the mirror, "Ellipse, Ellipse Ellipse...")

Are early bird (non - custom/low serial) prices same as main run prices?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1276 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 22:09:32 »

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome, thank you very much. Have you seen both the ultra compact and traditional versions? If so which do you prefer?

Far and away the traditional case

So much heavier and better looking

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1277 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 22:26:03 »
yeah

traditional case is ****ing baller
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1278 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 20:15:07 »
The factory is now back from their national holiday break and hopes to resume production soon on the compact cases, foam, and inner assembly steel plates.

I received some PCB material samples from the factories but none was a match.  They were on the good but not perfect sound level of the PCBs that already finished production.

I am now in talks with a longstanding US PCB material manufacturer who identified some specific characteristics of the old PCBs from photos I sent them - he will look into this some more this week.  It seems like both the PCB substrate and solder mask of the old PCBs may have contributed to the sharp click sound.  I asked about a custom vintage style PCB formulation just for this project - with near 1,000 PCB orders this may be possible.

I am still sourcing the special spring material identified by the material analysis lab.  It is an old standard that is no longer as widely available in such a small diameter but will hopefully have good news from some wire manufacturers this week.

Sorry for the cell phone photo of the compact cases.  They are correctly edged in person. 

Yes for this project my desire for an equal or better quality reproduction of the original 4704 Model F is the most important goal, especially since there are nearly $400,000 in orders so far.  It can be done internationally and at a lower cost to sell these at the $325 price point.  It just has taken a lot longer than expected.  I recently heard a saying that applies here - fast, high quality, or at a good cost - but you can only pick two of the three.  For some background on some of the issues delaying the project here is a sampling of some of the issues:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/4-11-17-major-update-catch-up-how-close-are-we/

Pricing may change a little for the final aka second round as raw material prices have increased significantly since last year.  Probably a price change of no more than $20 to $30 extra.

The low/custom serial option is a way of supporting the project and skipping several hundred people in line when these keyboards arrive and I start testing them one by one and mailing them out.  The standard option still gets you in the early bird round so this option is not required.

Offline consolation

« Reply #1279 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 20:24:54 »
Thank for the update. Take it easy and look after yourself; your work is much appreciated.

Offline Softkore

« Reply #1280 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 20:37:37 »
Excellent update, can't wait to place my order now. Thanks so much for the information and transparency, and for the chance at a new Model F :)

Offline consolation

« Reply #1281 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 22:56:12 »

Compact for work and traditional for play...?

Paradoxically, if you need a conservative keyboard on your desk, go "compact." If you can have one with full flavour, go "traditional."

Offline SuperBo

« Reply #1282 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 07:49:52 »

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline blk

« Reply #1283 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:57:18 »
Hi everyone!

I recently (17 Oct 2017) "broke down" and bought an ultra compact F62 in standard grey with printed keycaps as a present to myself for finally becoming a PhD candidate in my research program.

I skimmed the thread but did not find any shipment dates.

Can anyone tell me when these keyboards are expected to ship?  I apologize if this information was in plain sight and I just didn't see it...

Thank you!

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #1284 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 16:12:03 »
Hi everyone!

I recently (17 Oct 2017) "broke down" and bought an ultra compact F62 in standard grey with printed keycaps as a present to myself for finally becoming a PhD candidate in my research program.

Can anyone tell me when these keyboards are expected to ship?  I apologize if this information was in plain sight and I just didn't see it...

Thank you!
Probably mid 2018.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline blk

« Reply #1285 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 16:32:06 »
Hi everyone!

Thank you!
Probably mid 2018.

Thank you.

Can't wait!

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1286 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:30:26 »
Hi everyone!

Thank you!
Probably mid 2018.

Thank you.

Can't wait!

I wouldn't trust anyone other Ellipse for shipping date timelines

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1287 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:51:14 »
Hi everyone!

Thank you!
Probably mid 2018.

Thank you.

Can't wait!

Mid 2018 sounds like a pretty reasonable estimate to me

Offline smt

• I like keyboards
    • smt.io
« Reply #1288 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:45:17 »
Hi everyone!

Thank you!
Probably mid 2018.

Thank you.

Can't wait!

Mid 2018 sounds like a pretty reasonable estimate to me

I don't disagree that it sounds reasonable, but date estimates communicated by Ellipse are the only ones worth paying attention to.
HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | Clueboards | MOD-M Custom | MiniVan | Preonic | Planck | Let's Split | Anne Pro | WASD CODE TKL

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1289 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 18:07:54 »
Well first I'd like to see how soon the factory can move back on track and how quickly the springs can go into production with the 1980s-standard material.  We should know more around month end.

Another example quality control issue:  Recently we had an issue with the USB cable clamps - the clamps the subcontractor sent the factory were so large they could not secure any USB cable! 

Offline consolation

« Reply #1290 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 19:17:33 »
Use split ferrite cores as filler? it will make the clamps fit and give you some interference suppression; probably not necessary, but won't do any harm.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 19:51:52 by consolation »

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1291 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 22:24:21 »
its looking so beautiful I cant wait.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1292 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 16:50:52 »
Update on the springs - one factory has agreed to manufacture the old wire standard for this project!  Every other factory in recent weeks said no.

With the correct material and what was learned after the most recent sub-standard spring sample batch, hopefully the next batch of springs will match the originals. 

The factory is returning the not-to-spec USB cable clamps to the clamp factory and they are re-making them.

I spoke to several experts and laminate suppliers this month and am looking into making the PCBs as close to the originals as possible.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 17:22:46 by Ellipse »

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #1293 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 17:00:27 »
Update on the springs - one factory has agreed to manufacture the old wire standard for this project!  Every other factory in recent weeks said no.

With the correct material and what was learned after the most recent sub-standard spring sample batch, hopefully the next batch of springs will match the originals. 

The factory is returning the not-to-spec USB cable clamps to the clamp factory and they are re-making them.
Here's hoping for the best
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1294 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 21:04:01 »
Every other factory in recent weeks said no.

Maybe that's a bad sign? Why did they say no?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1295 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 21:31:20 »
The old standard material is what was originally used and is no longer offered widely.  Today's standard formulations and processes do not match the sound characteristics of the originals.  The factory has tried with many modern materials over the past year or so to no avail.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #1296 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 22:31:19 »
There's a meetup in Northern California on November 11th.  Is there any chance that an F62 or F77 prototype could make an appearance at that event?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6wodcp/bay_area_mechanical_keyboard_meetup_2017/

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1297 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 12:26:43 »
it just keeps getting more hype...

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1298 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 13:34:59 »
The old standard material is what was originally used and is no longer offered widely.  Today's standard formulations and processes do not match the sound characteristics of the originals.  The factory has tried with many modern materials over the past year or so to no avail.

Why is the old formulation not being used? Do you have any idea why that alloy was discontinued? Aside from sound profile, what other characteristics does the steel have? Is it the optimal compromise, taking all features and issues into account, for the keyboard?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1299 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 15:48:47 »
Do you have any idea why that alloy was discontinued?

cost