Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2358904 times)

Offline sixdeuces

• DIYKeyboards.com
Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1400 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 11:08:01 »
It seemed like Ellipse's statement amounted to "I'm happy to report these springs will sound perfect after they're in use for about a year. We're not holding up the project for that though."

Then we spiral into a controversy about the validity of spring aging and Eillispe's decisions? Seems like a bit of a tangent, tbh.

Aging doesn't melt steel springs...

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1401 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 11:12:25 »
Steel doesn't age.
Sure it does. But this is the first time I've ever heard of steel aging "well." Typically aging of steel is described as "rust," "embrittlement," or "fatigue." All bad for structural integrity, but perhaps good for spring sonics?

All that's true but spring steel (meaning heat treated stuff) shouldn't do any of that. Especially if it's stainless, which it ought to be.

Model F (and indeed M) springs are not made of stainless steel, and are not completely resistant to rust.

Source:
Show Image

What an excellent place to make an improvement on the original then, with some nice corrosion resistant springs.

The impression I'm under is that, if your spring is changing properties as it's being used, it's being used the wrong way in possibly the wrong environment.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1402 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:04:20 »
Steel doesn't age.
Sure it does. But this is the first time I've ever heard of steel aging "well." Typically aging of steel is described as "rust," "embrittlement," or "fatigue." All bad for structural integrity, but perhaps good for spring sonics?

All that's true but spring steel (meaning heat treated stuff) shouldn't do any of that. Especially if it's stainless, which it ought to be.

Model F (and indeed M) springs are not made of stainless steel, and are not completely resistant to rust.

Source:
Show Image

What an excellent place to make an improvement on the original then, with some nice corrosion resistant springs.

The impression I'm under is that, if your spring is changing properties as it's being used, it's being used the wrong way in possibly the wrong environment.

Well just using a spring changes it.  :))

Edit:  I have a degree in Materials science and engineering.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1403 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:07:26 »
Steel doesn't age.

Source:
Show Image

Frankly, I'm astonished that's the case. At most I would figure that the effect is negligible as far as our ears and fingers are concerned. Are there any good papers on spring fatigue? I couldn't find any.

Not just material, but I'd also guess scale has an effect. A coil spring in your car, big monster spring like that, I sort of intuitively understand that it could set in to the vehicle over time. But at inch or half inch scale, like the Model F springs are, with very small wire diameter, I can't get it around my head that they would change except after at least a few million cycles. Partly at least because I imagine you can get the internal stresses really uniform.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:12:52 by PancakeMSTR »

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1404 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:12:35 »
Steel doesn't age.

Source:
Show Image

Frankly, I'm astonished that's the case. At most I would figure that the effect is negligible as far as our ears and fingers are concerned. Are there any good papers on spring fatigue? I couldn't find any.

Take a paper clip and bend it back and forth a ton of times. The fatigue effect is negligible over the short term but since he's trying to recreate old springs and sound there is a bigger effect. Best bet is to search scientific databases though

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1405 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:14:46 »
Steel doesn't age.

Source:
Show Image

Look up high cycle fatigue. Spring steel is better at resisting fatigue than other types of steel but it’s not magical. Springs steels fatigue just like every other material.

Source: I also have a degree in Materials Science and Engineering

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1406 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:17:36 »
Steel doesn't age.

Source:
Show Image

Look up high cycle fatigue. Spring steel is better at resisting fatigue than other types of steel but it’s not magical. Springs steels fatigue just like every other material.

High five!

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1407 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:17:47 »

Take a paper clip and bend it back and forth a ton of times. The fatigue effect is negligible over the short term but since he's trying to recreate old springs and sound there is a bigger effect. Best bet is to search scientific databases though

Paper clip is a totally, totally different material though. And are you talking about plastic or elastic deformation?

That Ellipse is trying to recreate old springs is another thing I take issue with. He has freedom to make improvements, make it better than it was. Why use old technology...

I mean yeah get the sound right, but instead of exact duplication work on making a spring that was totally corrosion resistant, invariant over 10 million cycles, and improved on the original sound (meaning, take what's good about the original sound and amplify it).

Yes...cycle fatigue is a thing. Won't debate that. But how many cycles? And how many times might a single key be cycled in a year? And what's the threshold for your fingers/ears to be able to sense a change?
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:23:08 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline Atredl

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1409 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 12:24:58 »

Paper clip is a totally, totally different material though. And are you talking about plastic or elastic deformation?

That Ellipse is trying to recreate old springs is another thing I take issue with. He has freedom to make improvements, make it better than it was. Why use old technology...

I mean yeah get the sound right, but instead of exact duplication work on making a spring that was totally corrosion resistant, invariant over 10 million cycles, and improved on the original sound (meaning, take what's good about the original sound and amplify it).

Yes...cycle fatigue is a thing. Won't debate that. But how many cycles? And how many times might a single key be cycled in a year?

The paper clip is a demonstration of what happens with repeated stressing of a material.

He's trying to replicate the old boards plain and simple.

Well considering this is his project and he stated his goals, he can't use a new material in his mind. He wants that same sound and feel.

Honestly though, why did you even buy into this project?

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #1410 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:17:10 »
Steel doesn't age.

Source:
Show Image

Or just look up what happened to the De Havilland Comet.

Source: Also have a degree in engineering, but not specifically in Materials. Can I still join the club?
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1411 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:29:00 »

Yes...cycle fatigue is a thing. Won't debate that. But how many cycles? And how many times might a single key be cycled in a year?

The paper clip is a demonstration of what happens with repeated stressing of a material.

Well considering this is his project and he stated his goals, he can't use a new material in his mind. He wants that same sound and feel.

Same reason everyone else did? Because I want a really cool keyboard? I admit I don't give two ****s about it being a perfect, exact replica of the original (I'm not sure I've even actually ever used an original Model F). In fact, one of the reasons I bought into this project instead of picking up an SSK on ebay or whatever is because I wanted a fully modernized buckling spring . That the (new) Model F's are advertised as USB plug-and-play and fully programmable was a huge selling point for me. I'm not insignificantly disappointed that similar modernization isn't being applied to the rest of the keyboard.

Personally, I think that - replication vs. improvement - isn't forward thinking, and I don't think it's a defense that holds water.

You didn't answer the paperclip question - plastic or elastic deformation?

Ellipse knows what the original is like, not me. So he is the one who is really qualified to judge where improvements should be made. But, again my feeling is that doing an exact duplication of a 30 year old product is totally missing a great opportunity to improve on it.

« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:42:43 by PancakeMSTR »

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1412 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:36:17 »

Same reason everyone else did? Because I want a really cool keyboard? I admit I don't give two ****s about it being a perfect, exact replica of the original (I'm not sure I've even actually ever used an original Model F). In fact, one of the reasons I bought into this project instead of picking up an SSK on ebay or whatever is because I wanted a fully modernized buckling spring . That the (new) Model F's are advertised as USB plug-and-play and fully programmable was a huge selling point for me. I'm not insignificantly disappointed that similar modernization isn't being applied to the rest of the keyboard.

Personally, I think that - replication vs. improvement - isn't forward thinking, and I don't think it's a defense that holds water.

You didn't answer the paperclip question - plastic or elastic deformation?

Well considering the experiment is to bend the paperclip till it breaks you end up in the plastic deformation regime but the paperclip goes through significant cold working which stiffens the paperclip causing it to fracture easier

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1413 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 14:19:05 »

Well considering the experiment is to bend the paperclip till it breaks you end up in the plastic deformation regime but the paperclip goes through significant cold working which stiffens the paperclip causing it to fracture easier

Look you're the material scientist, I'm just a lowly physicist, so you know better than I but that's precisely how a spring shouldn't be used. A happy spring is one operating well within its elastic range. I won't paint myself as too familiar but, sure, there is work hardening, probably even tiny plastic distortions, general "too bad we live in the real world where cows aren't spherical" losses, etc. But for a good spring those have got to be absolutely nanoscopic effects.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1414 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 14:43:15 »

Look you're the material scientist, I'm just a lowly physicist, so you know better than I but that's precisely how a spring shouldn't be used. A happy spring is one operating well within its elastic range. I won't paint myself as too familiar but, sure, there is work hardening, probably even tiny plastic distortions, general "too bad we live in the real world where cows aren't spherical" losses, etc. But for a good spring those have got to be absolutely nanoscopic effects.

Nothing is ever wholly elastic though. Yes the deformations are small but with time it still fails.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1415 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 14:50:45 »

Nothing is ever wholly elastic though. Yes the deformations are small but with time it still fails.

Exactly, but that's the whole question: for whatever spring Ellipse is using, or a typical keyboard spring I guess in general,  what are the time (or cycle) scales like?

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1416 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 15:06:49 »

Exactly, but that's the whole question: for whatever spring Ellipse is using, or a typical keyboard spring I guess in general,  what are the time (or cycle) scales like?

Cherry gives lifespan on their switch life on their site

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #1417 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 15:23:16 »

5-100 million actuations depending on switch/spring/material

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1418 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 15:42:09 »

To be honest, the only people who might be able to answer that question are the ones who engineered that specific spring.

Speaking of keyboard springs in general, I’m pretty sure they choose a material that they’re sure won’t snap before the electronics fail. Especially since electronics are by far more prone to outright failure than a spring.  They might have been fine with some feeling change throughout the life of the switch or it might have been prohibitively expensive to use a material that wouldn’t noticeably change. Again, extremely difficult to say without being the designer of the spring.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1419 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:55:12 »

5-100 million actuations depending on switch/spring/material

Anyone want to solve the keystrokes per year Fermi problem?

Offline 2Cas

« Reply #1420 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 20:15:34 »
saddas
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 09:29:03 by 2Cas »

Offline Pete

« Reply #1421 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 21:09:33 »
It seems like I was one of the few people to be excited about the latest springs update.  :(

This keyboard is going to be awesome!

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1422 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 08:00:29 »
The good news is that if these are made to the same standards as IBM, we know they'll last at least 30-40 years as a minimum before needing replacement foam, and eventually also replacement springs. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

The main reason I got this, besides want moar model F. In two days I'll be 26, 40 years after I get this board I will have retired. I'm fine with needing to start repairing/maintaining what may be my favorite keyboard ever as a retirement hobby. Gotta wonder if in said 40 years anyone else will try to re-create a different model F or even a beamspring or selectric...

Offline krispy

« Reply #1423 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 14:55:21 »
The original timeline for these wasn't 2 years (although it has turned out that way unfortunately). The original intention of this was to be a relatively straightforward and simple effort to bring back from the dead something that hasn't been around for 30+ years.

Wait is 2 years really the timeline? :( Genuinely curious here. I joined the GB a couple months ago but I still have no idea what the timeline is or if there is one?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1424 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 18:06:19 »
The original timeline for these wasn't 2 years (although it has turned out that way unfortunately). The original intention of this was to be a relatively straightforward and simple effort to bring back from the dead something that hasn't been around for 30+ years.

Wait is 2 years really the timeline? :( Genuinely curious here. I joined the GB a couple months ago but I still have no idea what the timeline is or if there is one?

Join the club. I joined over a year ago and I still can only guess at when I'll see it.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1425 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 09:43:44 »
It seems like I was one of the few people to be excited about the latest springs update.  :(

I enjoy all of ellipse's updates. I'm excited for these to go out.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #1426 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 15:03:46 »

I enjoy all of ellipse's updates. I'm excited for these to go out.

Same. I'm finding it fascinating tbh, and being made aware of all the fine details and challenges is fuelling the anticipation and giving me an education. And I bet I'll appreciate my F77 so much more when it's finally sat on my desk, knowing the work that's gone into making it. I'm in no rush.

Offline dotcom

« Reply #1427 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 11:22:15 »

I'm excited, as well!

Not only will this project produce new Model F keyboards, but because Ellipse has chosen to stick to the original specs as much as possible, we also have the ability (for the first time ever, to my knowledge, since Model Fs ceased being produced) to purchase new replacement parts for original Model Fs--the most critical of which is (arguably) the springs. This is really is quite amazing.

Personally, I'm really thankful Ellipse is being so meticulous about the components.

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1428 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 19:09:25 »
Some quick updates:

The inside foam has completed production.
The key molds will be finished up this week and the first tests will be done next week.
The factory was sent one of my XT key sets so that they can exactly reproduce the texture, colors, and other characteristics of the original.
185699-0
185701-1
185703-2

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1429 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 20:31:27 »
Some quick updates:

The inside foam has completed production.
The key molds will be finished up this week and the first tests will be done next week.
The factory was sent one of my XT key sets so that they can exactly reproduce the texture, colors, and other characteristics of the original.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

damn, cool pics

thanks ellipse
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline esquilax

« Reply #1430 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 11:51:00 »
Am I the only person who doesn't know what that does?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1431 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 11:59:51 »

i'm about 90% sure it's an injection mold

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1432 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 12:33:03 »

It's an injection mold

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #1433 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 17:57:08 »
That's an injection mold for the keycaps.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1434 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 20:46:41 »
Maybe unicomp be thinking now, "maybe we should have fixed our tooling", I am curious if this is only going to be used for the model F reproduction or if this would lead to better OG model m/f cap sets as well in the future after the model f.

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 January 2018, 20:49:49 by Glod »

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #1435 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 22:25:46 »
I'm really looking forward to seeing pictures of how these keys turn out. I'll probably be in for a few extra sets in round 2 if they are as good as they sound.

Offline Lagomorph

« Reply #1436 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 07:51:04 »
Maybe unicomp be thinking now, "maybe we should have fixed our tooling", I am curious if this is only going to be used for the model F reproduction or if this would lead to better OG model m/f cap sets as well in the future after the model f.

I don't mean to drag this off-topic, but in 2014 I emailed Unicomp and desperately tried to make the case that they are missing an opportunity to expand their product line to compete in the rapidly growing enthusiast keyboard market. Things like an SSK, programmable controllers, split layouts, upgrades to their endurapro trackpoint (similar to Tex Yoda), more keycap offerings, etc. Any of these would require a big investment, but the window to ride that wave up won't be there forever. I mentioned that the keyboard communities would love to open a channel of communication with them if they're interested. Didn't get a reply.

Anyway, thanks for the update pics Ellipse. The excitement is palpable.

Offline esquilax

« Reply #1437 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 08:54:11 »

It's an injection mold

Ah, I see the caps one. I take it that the one with the round things on it is for barrels? What's the top one?

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1438 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 08:55:30 »

It's an injection mold

Ah, I see the caps one. I take it that the one with the round things on it is for barrels? What's the top one?

Looks like the multiple parts to an injection mold

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #1439 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 09:51:43 »
I don't mean to drag this off-topic, but in 2014 I emailed Unicomp and desperately tried to make the case that they are missing an opportunity to expand their product line to compete in the rapidly growing enthusiast keyboard market.

Yeah, it's interesting to speculate.  It would require capital investment, but that's not the major obstacle.  I think the main problem would be psychological, because it would require a completely different business strategy, a big mental shift-of-gears.  That's very difficult to achieve in an established company.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1440 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 10:58:52 »

Nah what they shoulda done is gotten an ssk mold. Then put a capsense board option along side the membrane one. So I could have a full sized ansi model f with model m springs at my desk(I prefer the heavier springs tbh but do love model f's too) and 4 ten keyless for my 3 backup/htpc rigs and one to switchout with the main one. :P :p

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1441 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 17:39:55 »
We are 13 keyboards away from 1,000 new keyboards ordered! 

How dark should the dark gray key plastic be?  Any recommendations?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1442 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 19:10:22 »

How far are we away from 1000 keyboards delivered? That's the more important data.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1443 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 19:13:50 »

the titanium grey that older kustoms (KMAC, 356CL DGE) use is really nice

something like that would be popular, i bet

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1444 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 19:13:58 »

How far are we away from 1000 keyboards delivered? That's the more important data.

:blank:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1445 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 19:15:24 »

Dude, give it up.  He's very actively communicating with everyone and is not in any way acting suspicious about how he's handling this group buy.  You have no beef to pick here.  Keep the discussion on topic and relevant.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1446 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 21:40:02 »

Dude, give it up.  He's very actively communicating with everyone and is not in any way acting suspicious about how he's handling this group buy.  You have no beef to pick here.  Keep the discussion on topic and relevant.

I just think bragging about how many keyboards have been delivered is a lot more impressive than bragging about how many have been sold.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1447 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 21:54:13 »

Amazing milestone.

The industrial IBM gray is super nice imo.

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #1448 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 22:46:33 »

Yes, IBM Industrial Grey please.

Amazing milestone.

The industrial IBM gray is super nice imo.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #1449 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 23:13:22 »
IBM industrial gray is more of an olive drab color. I wasn't one who requested dark gray caps, but I think what they wanted was something like the Realforce 87U black on dark gray look?

If that's the case, I'd estimate that the gray should be maybe 15-20% lighter than pure black.